Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

Deus Ex legitimately has insanely good features that you rarely see anywhere else, like such open-ended gameplay and user-customization, real consequences for your actions and such. You play the game through in a different way and it's practically a different game.

this is pretty much the reason deus ex is still loved so much. the only other real attempts at deus ex style gameplay "refined" the experience in the wrong way like IW or had a host of problems of their own like Bloodlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

I had 7 multitools. I used one. I now have 6 multitools. I found a new multitool. Inventory full. What. What are you talking about, Invisible War? My inventory isn't full, I just had 7! I did not meet whatever arbitrary multitool cap that's in this game. Why does this multitool take up an entirely different inventory space? Is it a special multitool? A king among multitools??

I do not like you, Invisible War. And stop changing my resolution settings, I had to go through a lot of trouble to set those at 1680x1050 and you keep changing them back when I'm not looking.

The UI is so bad.

invisible war why are you closing and reopening yourself every time I leave an area
Invisible waaar

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

does the STALKER series count? the first two are pretty linier but COP is really fun and has a lot more RPG elements

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Doug Lombardi posted:

You can't actually help them.

I can remember one time i sprinted over to the fight and took out a bunch of NSF and people at HQ said I was a hero

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i miss the conspiracy focus but the real problem with the writing in MD and HR is that the main plot is weird vague nonsense and they never really give you a convincing argument for why people would be racist to people with cyborg arms

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Sadly “That person is different from me, therefore I hate them” isn’t really something you need to explain.

for it to basically completely replace racial/class issues in a cyberpunk dystopia is an extremely lame cop-out. especially since the setting is supposed to be based on the real world.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sebmojo posted:

remember that time when everyone with robot arms went simultaneously insane and murdered a bunch of people lol that was a hoot oh well just off to work with my buddy Tony and his robot arms hope you don't go crazy again haha

ahh drat!! my boss, cousin, sister, aunt etc all simultaneously lost their poo poo. time to put them in a ghetto for the rest of time and never speak to them again.

edit: also i had to look this up because i genuinely couldnt remember but people being racist to augs is a major theme of HR too where it makes even less sense. its just an extremely lame theme to hang your satirical cyberpunk dystopia thats a prequel to deus ex on.

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 4, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

prague is a great deus ex hub because you can do as many B&E's as you want

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the dishonoured games are fun to play stealthy but they were originally designed around action and improvising. theyre the most fun when you force yourself to never quicksave

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Obviously it would be doing Arkane a massive disservice to all the work the did to just call Dishonoured 'thief but with violence/action as an option' but it should also be obvious that when they got out the whiteboard on day one that was the first sentence that was written on it.
I just tried googling some developer interviews and its sort of ambiguous but i dont think that's the case

https://www.nbcnews.com/technology/10-tips-playing-dishonored-without-shedding-drop-blood-1c6327490

quote:

Colantonio said that, early on in development, the fact that players could get through "Dishonored" without killing anyone was "almost like an Easter Egg." It was possible, but it wasn't a driving priority. But as Colantonio and Smith told people about this possibility, they noticed something: People got really excited about it.

"We realized that it was something that people really wanted," Colantonio says. "And so then we made it a mandate to make sure that we approached the entire game with non-lethal options."

In fact, says Smith, "We probably put a disproportionate amount of work into allowing you the option of not just killing people."

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the chaos system and the typhon corruption thing would be way better if they never told you about them so they didn't feel like something that you're supposed to game for an optimal result. the games already do a really good job of explaining the consequences of your actions within the lore. its probably a marketing thing though i guess

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ilitarist posted:

It's not 1997 anymore, you'd knew about it anyway. The first thing people mention when they talk about Dishonored is the morality system probably. They had an opportunity to tell you about it without overblowing it but they were deliberately vague so that you won't game the system. And turns out that if you tell me my actions will have consequences I'll become a beatnik coward.

i think the combination of vague description while still explicitly telling you about the system hurt it in the end. dishonoured doesn't really change based on your decisions much more than the original deus ex but it feels less mysterious and reactive and i think kinda locks you in more

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

a deus ex prequel set in the 80s or something where youve got a bunch of bond style spy gadgets would be amazing

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ilitarist posted:

You're talking as if No One Lives Forever hasn't been done 2 times already.

the NOLF aesthetic is great but theyre as far from immersive sims as you can get. especially the lovely forced stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I meant in the sense of a game that just takes every conspiracy theory it can get its hands on and jams them together, possibly while listening to Art Bell. 90’s and 2000 conspiracy theories were kind of fun. Now the best one we have is what, they’re making the frogs gay? It’s all false flag poo poo about very real dead kids and insane QAnon stuff now.

it would be way too spicy to actually be made but I'd love a 2020 deus ex where theres both a horrible epstein style conspiracy and a rival qanon right wing coup and the player has to fight them both. and also all the bad guys are in their late 70s and succumbing to dementia