Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Yeah. According to the readme, what he observed is that augs are such a pain in the rear end to manage that he tended to save them for emergencies - which often happened so fast that by the time he realized he needed the augs, it was too late. And if he died, that meant a reload and usually a change in tactics that removed the need for the augs in the first place. Net result: almost no aug use, huge amounts of excess power cells.

This parallels my own experience, incidentally, and auto-managing augs are something I've considered modding into the game myself. UnrealEd is sufficiently annoying that I've never gotten around to it, though.

Also, now that I know about the existence of BioMod, I think I need to replay DX at some point this year...maybe after my current stack of games is dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samopsa posted:

1. The power recirculator is a passive aug in the base game. It only activates when it actually saves power. It might have been patched in though.

If that's the case it was definitely patched in at some point; when I played, it had to be explicitly turned on, and if you turned it on with nothing else running it would slowly drain power.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, BioMod has the aqualung mod not only let you breathe underwater, but also regenerate bioenergy.

If you want to add this as a permanent thing, ini editing won't cut it - you'd need to create a mod using UnrealEd.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If you haven't already read Sunglasses at Night, DTE's anti-walkthrough for Deus Ex, you probably should. It's basically a catalogue of ways to screw with the game. The supplementary pages linked from it have some weirdness, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Witchfinder General posted:

I liked Anna but I always end up killing her in the plane to save Lebedev (even though killing her via killphrase is the best).

Actually, after the first level DX pretty much stops distinguishing between "unconscious" and "dead". You can shock him or tranq him and they'll accept that as a kill, and no-one seems to mind you picking him up and carrying him to safety.

quote:

I remember feeling surprisingly morose about Paul's death in my first playthrough, but he's barely a presence in the second half of the game if you save him. I feel like his death makes the rest of the game a bit more significant/personal.

Yeah, same here. I was kind of disappointed that saving Paul doesn't really change much of anything - you get a few sentences from him here and there and that's it.

I want to try out BioMod, but at the same time I'm kind of worried that stuff like this will kill DX for me now that I've played Alpha Protocol. :ohdear:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ The fact that maxing it out is mandatory to finish the game is the only thing noteworthy about it, though. Apart from that it's just as boring and shallow as most morality systems in games. The only difference is that in U4, paying the blind merchant honestly raises Honesty and Compassion (or whatever) rather than a single karma score - the question it asks ("do you do the obvious good thing or the obvious evil thing, OH LOOK MORAL DILEMMA") is still the same one.

I much prefer the approach of games like Alpha Protocol, where there's rarely a clear choice to be made between good and evil (or optimal and suboptimal), or even Mass Effect, which takes it as read that you're the good guy and instead asks if you're a polite, by-the-book do-gooder or a rough, cigar-chomping, ends-justify-the-means hardass. For all their faults, both games do moral choice better than U4.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I just had a brainwave. The little beep sound made when someone starts transmitting to you in game would probably make a good text tone and would absolutely make a good alert tone, the problem is I don't know where to find it or isolate it...

It's probably in System/DeusExSounds.u or System/DeusExUI.u. You'll need the DX editing tools (or generic Unreal Engine ones, I think) to unpack them.

Mine was the TriOptimum Incoming V-Mail sound from System Shock for a while. :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hacking is basically free as long as I'm trained, right? In the Clinton Castle thing, I could hack a computer to open a door, but I didn't go into that NSF base because my mission was done. Should I have, or is that later?

Hacking is free as long as you jack out before you run out of time, and yes, you should have. Explore everywhere, talk to everyone, read/open/hack everything. There's treasure everywhere - not just ammo and tools, but weapon upgrades and augmentation canisters. For example, if you explore the security room under Castle Clinton, you can find an aug canister.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't know what Shifter is. Is it that strength mod thing for arms?

Shifter is a balance and bugfix mod. These days it's been mostly supplanted by Biomod, which is based on Shifter but also unfucks aug management.

quote:

Is it possible to save both upstairs hostages in the 'ton hotel? They execute a hostage if you get too close. I snuck up and stunned one, but the other guy died.

If you're sufficiently sneaky you can baton or zap (or shoot) ,one of them without alerting the other, then run in and take the second guy down before he can kill the hostage. Gas grenades also work.

quote:

And WHAT Sniper Rifle on the first level? I went everywhere!

I realize you were going for minimum body count, but in places where the game cares about that at all (which are comparatively few), it distinguishes between "unconscious" and "dead' - you can tase and/or baton every person on the island and still be commended for your cautious, no-casualties approach. And enemies are often carrying cool stuff - rare ammo, useful weapons, nanokeys.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Male Man posted:

There's still plenty reason to prefer Shifter over Biomod, since Biomod makes a whole lot of changes which make JC strictly stronger.

It also makes changes that make him weaker, or enemies stronger.

That said, I think you're right that it's overall increase in power level for JC. But DX isn't all that challenging a game to begin with, and in my opinion, the reclassification and rebalancing of the augs improves the game so much that it is worth it. A lot of formerly-useless augs become useful (I took aqualung in my most recent game, how crazy is that) and I find myself using augs a lot more because managing them is much less painful.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to my knowledge. It also fixes the stacked-inventory bug/exploit!

I love Biomod for making augs useful but the packrat in me hates it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I'm having a weird problem with DX here.

It was working fine, but I decided to install Deus Exe and the DX10 renderer for improved lighting and widescreen support.

Most of the time, it works fine. But sometimes, I'll load up the game and while the game itself runs fine, UI elements seem to be very slow. Messages and "you picked up" popups will stay on screen far longer than normal; the scrolling text that appears when someone's talking on the infolink shows up at a rate of around one character every two seconds; the health display takes a long time to fade from red to green; and when trying to hack something, the scrolling text in the background of the ICE breaker goes extremely slowly (as does the ICE breaker progress bar).

This doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's very annoying. It happens with the DX10, DX9, and openGL renderers (the software renderer is, for some reason, unplayably slow at 1680x1050). Rebooting fixes it, but it would be nice to have a way to fix it that doesn't require a reboot, or a way to stop it from occurring in the first place.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Restarting the game doesn't help in the slightest. Once it happens, it's permanent until the next reboot. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^^ Yeah, in the original all they do is cast light, which makes them triply useless - they're so rare you'll never have more than a clip or two on hand; the game doesn't have all that many dark spots; and where it does, you have at least one and possibly several augs that can deal with it.

Now that they set people on fire, they're powerful in proportion to their rarity and fun as hell. Back before I knew about Shifter/Biomod, I actually spent some time learning the Unreal editor so that I could mod that change in myself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

orange lime posted:

The crossbow would be a lot more useful if enemies didn't have the ability to instantly know where you were shooting from. Hiding in the shadows and tranquilizing people from a distance without them knowing what was going on would be amazing, and probably more realistic, but it also might make a lot of the game too easy.

Honestly I think that was Deus Ex's biggest weakness. For all the stealthing around that you did, once you actually attacked someone the stealth game was up. No hiding in the shadows, dropping down to assassinate someone and disappearing again like Batman.

You totally can, though. The enemies don't magically know where you are, they just know where the shot came from. If you break line of sight quickly, they might come running over to look for you, but they won't be able to find you. You can easily snipe or tranq several enemies and then hide in the shadows until everyone calms down.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A little while ago I posted about some issues I was having with the UI behaving extremely slowly.

Turns out it's a problem with the scaling UI installed by Deus Exe. Setting it to non-scaling, starting the game, then exiting and setting it back to scaling fixes the problem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It has been done tonight. And it has been done real tasty.

Fun fact: killing Maggie Chow with a LAW causes all of the MJ12 troops to bunch up near the elevator (and, in this case, one of them to get stuck inside the display case in the living room). This is great if you equipped some sort of splash damage weapon, less great if you walk obliviously around the corner and a barrage of plasma bolts amputates both legs. Guess which approach I took?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Weird goings-on at the 'ton.

I decided to lock myself in the closet while Paul handled things. He cleaned out the upstairs fine, at which point I moved to support him with GEP rounds while he took on the enemies in the foyer.

He won, of course, but at some point during the fight the wastebasket caught fire. He interpreted this as a mortal insult and engaged it in a duel to the death.

With the wastebasket defeated, he then spent thirty seconds running into walls, before finally locating a doorway, running through it, and falling down the elevator shaft.

I turned away to deal with some enemies, and when I came back he was gone. :iiam: I can only assume that, upon realizing he had never learned how to climb ladders, he willed himself out of existence.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The ambush at the 'ton is one of my favorite parts for this very reason.

DtE's anti-walkthrough for DX has a nice rundown of an efficient way to liquefy all of the ambushers with LAMs, which I implemented once. It's good fun, but I have to say I prefer all of the unintentional hilarity that can result from letting the AIs just do their thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I love it, I will never, ever let it go. Kills robots, opens all doors, you name it. I just can't use it against humans...

I'm most of the way through a violent run using Biomod, and I'm actually having the opposite experience. Now that inventory bug is fixed, heavy weapons are poo poo.

I mean, as you say, it kills robots and opens doors and whatnot...but LAMs and 20mm HE are, collectively, almost as common as GEP rockets, just as effective, and take up less room (and you get a free assault rifle with the 20mm launcher, too).

Flamethrower? Ok, it's fun, but ammo for it is scarce and all the really nasty cyborgs took Energy Shield rather than Regeneration. And in Biomod flare darts set things on fire, so you might as well spend one square of inventory on the crossbow rather than eight on the flamethrower.

Plasma cannon? Can't use it at long range, shots travel too slowly. Can't use it at short range, backblast will kill you. It's ok at medium range but the sniper rifle takes up half as much space and has much more common ammo. Yeah, the plasma cannon hits a lot harder, but in practice the SR can one-shot most things anyways; the extra damage is overkill.

Railgun? I want to like this weapon so much - It's basically the Farsight from Perfect Dark, for god's sake - but when it takes up nearly a third of my inventory, uses the same ultra-rare ammo as the plasma cannon, and has a firing rate of around one shot every six seconds, I just can't.

Biomod makes augs useful, but makes heavy weapons useless - now that they actually take up room, they take up so much room that there's no reason to haul them around. I'm pretty sad.

Or perhaps I'm just playing the game wrong?

Red Mundus posted:

Not as bad as Activision selling "special limited editons" of Deus Ex, that poo poo is absolutely Machiavellian.

What's the story behind that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

I saved the GEP gun for taking out robots, MiBs, and the occasional door. I struck enough of a balance between using explosives and lockpicks/multitools to open doors that I explored pretty much everywhere and never ran low on lockpicks/multitools or rockets/LAMs. I also had plenty of inventory space left over for every type of grenade and some backup hazmat suits.

But if all I'm doing is "taking out robots, MiBs, and the occasional door", why on earth would I waste 8/30 inventory slots on a GEP gun (plus skill points in Heavy Weapons), when there're other tools that do the job just as well and take up less space? Maybe if the GEP gun were the only reliable way of getting explosives - if, say, LAMs, 20mm, and crates/barrels were much, much rarer - it might be worth it, but even then I'd be extremely reluctant to spend that much inventory space on something that's occasionally useful and never vital.

My argument is not that the heavy weapons are utterly without use; it's that they are extremely expensive but not really any more useful than the much cheaper rifles, pistols, and grenades. And while they are fun to use, they cripple you so severely in terms of what else you can do that it's hardly worth it - especially when you hardly ever get to use them in the first place because ammo for them is so rare (with the possible exception of the GEP gun, which is also the most mundane of the four).

In vanilla, that's not an issue because (thanks to the inventory bug) you can pick them up without taking up space - so you get all of the fun with none of the drawbacks. Now that Biomod has fixed that, the fun of heavy weapons is gone.

I do think Biomod is a net improvement; I love what it's done with augs. But I miss my plasma rifle, and wish I could try out the railgun without having to drop things that I'll use much, much more frequently to do so.

Maybe I should try a game where I eschew rifles entirely, and only use pistols and heavy weapons?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 13, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My copy of DX has an Anachronox advert on the back of the jewelbox.

I really should play that one of these days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

-Reduced forward momentum when mantling

Thank god, that killed me so many times.

quote:

-Fixed the ordering of the difficulty levels for challenges as it was based on a misconception

Do you have to do anything to enable challenges? I've played through with 0.8 twice now and have seen nothing challenge-related, and the README just says that there are challenges, nothing about how to enable them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Whoops. :downs: I've seen that menu so many times I don't read it anymore, my brain just fills it in from memory. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deus Ex (and Thief, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Terra Nova, and Flight Unlimited) designer Doug Church has been hired by Valve.

And yes, speed aug + crouch works in vanilla and was in fact my main tactic the first time through the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OregonDonor posted:

Are you using Shifter or Biomod? If I remember correctly, both of them gimp the laser.

If by "gimp" you mean "fix so that it's actually useful", then yes.

In vanilla, the laser sight has no gameplay effect and points straight ahead regardless of your accuracy.

In Shifter or Biomod, it wobbles all over the place because it's showing you where the shot will actually go. Fire when the dot is over someone's head? Boom, headshot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

3 posted:

Nope. In vanilla, if you put the laser on without putting a scope on as well your bullets would go where the laser was regardless of your skill, giving you incredible pinpoint accuracy without weapon sway. It owned.

That explains it; my first playthrough I only ever put the laser sight on stuff I'd already scoped, it didn't seem to do anything, and on subsequent (pre-Shifter/BM) plays I just didn't bother with them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Underflow posted:

Are there many situations in the game where you can get stuck? So far I've found two; crossing the barriers in the Hong Kong canal tunnel using a barrel (if you didn't have the speed aug there'd be no way to get back over the black & yellow fence), and calling up/jumping on the dumbwaiter from Beth Duclare's bedroom (you get stuck in a few inches of space but don't die).

I'm pretty sure you can make the game unwinnable on the Wallfish too, by using up all your LAMs and disposing of every crate and barrel of boom on the level, but you really need to work at it.

quote:

Re. Shifter's unique weaponry; Lo Bruto with explosive ammo makes hacking past the trained level useless. You just pop cameras and turrets with one shot.

Where the hell do you find explosive 10mm? I've never found any.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I'd always thought doing so would be really difficult, since Paul even tells you himself to get out through the window while you still can. When the door blew open and I wondered what the hell I was going to do against the MIBs, one fired at me and accidentally hit Paul.

Even without exploiting that behaviour it's incredibly easy to save Paul; the only thing the game checks for is whether you use the window or not.

So getting to the exit is entirely needless; you can get gunned down by MIBs in Paul's apartment and matters will proceed normally, with you waking up in the MJ12 base and Paul still alive.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, the Cargo Pits sucked from a "I don't want to die" perspective but were fantastic atmospherically. The low point of SS2 is probably either the Body of the Many, the UNN Rickenbacker, or the final boss, depending on personal taste, but the Cargo Pits were loving awesome.

I can't help you if you keep hiding from me, sir.
There you are!
:supaburn:

SS2 is still, by a long shot, the scariest game I've played.

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

Shodan is cartoonishly evil. "Look at you insect, panting and sweating as your run through my corridors." The Many had a cool motivation which may not be as cartoonish but it's still not very nuanced - join or die.

SHODAN herself can be pretty cartoonish at times, but she is a more interesting character than just "the bad guy", and motivations more complex than "I'm going to do evil things because it says 'the bad guy' next to my entry in the dramatis personae" - neither of which is necessarily the case for a lot of video game antagonists, sadly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cray posted:

Yeah, Thief is one of these games than can work flawlessly on a modern system, Win7 and widescreen and all, but it requires some work. Pretty much a perfect match for GOG.

Is Thief really that hard to get working? Last time all I had to do was set processor affinity to one core and it worked just fine. No widescreen support, but no problems either.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

You should get Biomod, really.

The thread is on page 10 because everyone got Alpha Protocol two days ago and is too busy playing it to notice that Deus Ex is on sale.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kin posted:

How do I go about upgrading my abilities like I did after clicking new game? Like putting points into pistols or computers or whatever?

Open the character screen, click the "upgrade" button next to the skill you want to increase. You need to have enough XP.

quote:

Also, where do I get ammo? Only getting 1 bullet from a downed enemy is kind of annoying. I feel like I'm being forced to stealth through the game.

You should be getting more than one bullet from enemies, and in general it should only take you 1-2 shots to take them down if you go for headshots. Even if you play ultraviolent, you shouldn't have ammo issues.

Apart from that, the general answer is: explore more. There's ammo in crates, ammo under docks and in sunken ships, ammo in lockers, ammo everywhere if you look around.

Using multiple weapons helps too. Carry a pistol, a shotgun, and a crossbow and odds are you'll always have ammo for at least one of them. Bring a melee weapon along for backup just in case.

Finally, some NPCs will sell you ammo, but unless they're offering an ammo type you're heavily dependent on or have a lot of difficulty finding, this is rarely worthwhile, or necessary.

A whole bunch of people posted:

Don't use Biomod on your first playthrough.

This is terrible advice. It's not like people are recommending the Nameless Mod; I'd consider Biomod practically a necessity, even for a first playthrough. It does for aug management what the DX10 renderer does for screen resolution, except that the renderer only makes it look better, while Biomod makes it much more fun by removing the game's single worst and most pervasive source of annoyance and fixing a laundry list of bugs.

No-one suggests playing STALKER without Complete installed, or VtMB without the unofficial patch. Why is Deus Ex different? It's good, but it's not like it's a holy relic that everyone must experience in its purest form once before they die. It's a game, and if I'm recommending it to someone for the first time, I'd rather they play and enjoy it than give up in disgust halfway through because they're used to ten years of games with UIs that don't suck.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Male Man posted:

Tranq darts are pretty useless, though.

Are you kidding? Tranq darts are fantastic and were my weapon of choice for much of my first playthrough. Yeah, they take a while to drop someone, but if you get a headshot it's rarely more than 5-10 seconds, and the ability to take someone out nonlethally at range more than makes up for it. Tag a few people, hide until they keel over, go through their pockets for spare change.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samopsa posted:

0451, the first keycode you get. Just like in System Shock, Bioshock and DX:HR, and probably more games made by this team (or spiritual successors)

System Shock 2, too - 45100. Wouldn't be surprised to find a 451 in Strike Force Centauri or Thief either.

Fun fact - these are originally in reference to the door code on LGS's office, 451, which was itself a Fahrenheit 451 reference.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fren posted:

I think the way you described is the way most people play through it the first time. Before I knew the plot, I killed everyone I could, and then used the rest of the game to sort of atone for that. Or maybe that was just me.

When I first played DX, I had recently finished Thief, and stealth just felt right. I started it up and it engaged my Thief reflexes rather than my Half-Life ones. Played it right through to the end stealthy and mostly nonlethal - it's unprofessional to steal lives as well as valuables, after all.

Since then, I've played it through as an FPS too, but it never feels as natural as it does when I'm being stealthy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love what Biomod does, and probably would've never gotten through the game without it. It's just that becoming practically immune to bullets, being able to remote detonate any rockets, and being largely protected from poisons by around the 2/3 mark felt a bit cheesy, since that's like 90% of what's thrown at you. Oh, and don't forget the Power Recirculater.

The thing is, the only reason that's not the norm is that most people aren't masochistic enough to do the fandango on the F keys that that requires in vanilla. If you are - or if you edit your config files so that the aug keybindings are less sadistic - this is what every playthrough of Deus Ex is like.

quote:

Really? I suppose maybe my playstyle had something to do with that feeling, though. My four weapons by that point were the Combat Knife, Dragon's Tooth, Pistol, and GEP Gun, as I was going for a lethal stealth-ish run. I eventually found myself not really needing to be cautious in the slightest, which killed the feel of the gameplay a little bit.

I guess you could argue that taking what largely counted as "offensive" augments instead of more proper stealth-oriented ones was my own fault, but it really just felt way too easy to become a bionic god just by taking anything that didn't have an active energy cost.

That happens even without Biomod (for me, usually around the sub base). After a certain point you have to make a conscious choice to keep doing things the subtle, stealthy way, even if you focused on stealth augs, because it's just too easy to pick up that GEP gun and reduce everything in your path to red mist.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I don't have an eye for early 2000 pc games, can someone tell me if this is running in 1920x1080? The large ui and sort of small fov tell me it isn't but I've set it to 1920x1080 in the deus exe, ini file and in game settings.

http://i.imgur.com/3xJ0g.jpg

Right Click -> Image Properties posted:

Dimensions: 1920x1080

Sure looks like it to me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

I just reinstalled this game (GOTY/Steam) with the latest versions of Shifter and Biomod, and now I'm getting unplayable lag at the main menu. Anyone else have this problem?

No, but I'm using Deus Exe and the updated renderers which may fix whatever issue you're having anyways.

Also, don't install both Shifter and Biomod. Biomod includes most of Shifter, and installing both will either overwrite one of them completely (at best) or break things (at worst).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Teen Hero Greg posted:

Alright, two things. I haven't played this for a while but whatever.

1. The default key bindings for taking screenshots through the Steam interface and the flashlight aug are the same. This is shameful. I need to find a new key for the screenshots.

I found it much easier to rebind the flashlight key to F. You may not be able to do that in vanilla DX, though.

quote:

2. After your first visit to Hell's Kitchen and subsequent return to headquarters, one of the receptionist UNATCO troopers will comment on the firefight there. 99% of the time his quote is along the lines of "Don't worry about what the boys are saying about Hell's Kitchen," regardless of how JC handles himself there. A lot of people seem to have chalked this up to a bug, but on one singular playthrough of mine he said "They're saying you were a hero at Hell's Kitchen." I know this. I remember it distinctly. I just have no freaking idea whatsoever what the difference in your actions up to that point is that triggers the change.

It might be saving all of the UNATCO troopers in the firefight, which is fairly difficult given that they all have a deathwish.