Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Meliv posted:

So, serious question. Who ever went out of their way to ensure Miguel got out of the MJ12 facility with you alive

I do it every playthrough. I just feel the need to protect the courageous little bastard :ohdear:
I wanted to clear out the enemies ahead to make sure he gets out alive... and then it turned out you can't go back through the door.

What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Here's an LP of the game for the guy who asked for one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290994

(or was that the DE3 thread?)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Also the LP sucks
Yeah, well... they're redoing the first video following suggestions in the thread, so it might work better soon?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lordpen posted:

And removing kill xp bonuses and leaving the other stuff intact seems even wierder. Is stealthing the 'correct' way to play? No, the game is about playing the way you want and handing out any form of bonus for stealth or killing stuff messes that up. The only way to keep this neutral is to provide the same skill points for everyone like the original does.
So? The original offered bonus points for exploration - was that the "right" way to play?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Or you could simply make every plausible manner of completing an area have its own rewards / problems and more importantly, make every manner equally entertaining. In that case, the average player can play in the manner that he enjoys the most (its own reward) and people who wish to play through the game against can change the way in which they accomplish their objectives / go for the most "statistically optimal" way of doing so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I was specifically talking about rewards that don't depend on points.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

VVV I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Exactly what my previous post said. If every manner of playing is entertaining and provides its own reward, the exact balancing of rewards only means things to players who are obsessed enough with the game to play it through several times for the "optimal" results.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is that thread in the archives or what?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

josh04 posted:

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.
Hops away

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I get where "What a shame" comes from, but what's so funny about "My vision is augmented"? Some remix I never saw?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Brannock posted:

Early in the game there's an exchange where someone points out that JC is wearing sunglasses at night. He responds. :c00l:
I know, I just don't see why it's interesting enough to be a meme. I assumed there was... I dunno, a video remix of him spying on people or something.

On the topic of your next post... the whole "You have 10 seconds to get out of here before I add you to the list of NFS casualties" conversation.

Lemmi Caution posted:

Bob Page, so intimidating at first.

Such a useless sniveling bitch at the end.
That's really pretty great. Going from "did you know we killed your daddy?" posturing bullshit to that "we can make a deal" whining was very satisfying.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Just had a very satisfying (first ever) match in multiplayer, with the same guy killing me a dozen times before I accidentally sniped him.

I also installed the Nameless Mod and got stuck in the tutorial (walk up to the ATM's on the wall... and then what? Nobody contacts me and nothing is happening)

I'm good at videogames.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's also pretty entertaining to see JC completely fail to give a poo poo when Paul yells at him for killing a shitload of people.
Now I finally got what why that "A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent......." scene in the recut was so funny. It echoed the "yeah, whatever" attitude of both the character and the player perfectly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You do have to wonder who thought that ; was a good button for reload (and... whatever the original crouch button was. Not ctrl anyway). Probably the same guy who designed the IW interface.

What's a good setup for aug activation?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Le Sean posted:

Just beat the game for the first time. Loved Bob Page's voice acting, very compelling. I'm not sure I'd want Denton to minister over the rest of the known world though; for all the gravitas his monotone voice lends, he doesn't seem to be beyond the pale as far as brains go, which is a point in his favor as far as protag, but a bit of a minus as far as god-king.

Suuure.
He's not there to supply brain-power - a mega-AI doesn't really need a human for that. He's there to supply a human perspective and morals and stuff.

Which could be a problem, depending on how you played him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Also the MiB in the MJ12 base under UNATCO, the one near the greasel cages, has a Mk1 Nanosword, but you need to tranq him to get it.

Open the cages. Also good for getting the nano-key off him.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

The best part w/r/t helipad shenanigans is if you just flat out kill the shifty guy THEN go back to talk to Everett, he and JC have a short convo which basically amounts to "Paranoia grows on you" and Everett mentions how JC's starting to think like he does. IIRC. I gotta play through again.
Huh. I wonder how it compares to a similar conversation in the graveyard

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

The one thing that always really bothered me about Deus Ex was the fact that JC just drops everything for Paul, despite the moral dilemma staring him in the face. Maybe it's possible that security really is worth more than freedom. Maybe a one-world government would be the most effective way to minimize crime and ensure a reasonably safe, happy life for the average wage-slave. Such an opportunity, missed :(
You might like the endings for IW better then.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How did IW justify you going to the same levels in-game no matter your loyalty? Was it as contrived as it sounds?
A tad. Every faction in the game was after the same objectives, for different reasons. The contrived part was the way the ending - the protagonist joining one of the four sides - was determined by his actions in the final 20 minutes of the game, disregarding everything that came before that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Psion posted:

At least in DX you could usually shoot them and then you'd die or whatever. So sure, it was kind of a false choice but at least you always had the capability even if the game railroaded you into not doing it.
Dude. IW is marginally less stupid. Just admit it. "Thin excuse for not allowing you to kill crucial characters" is still better than "why, hello there, odd and incongruous god-mod on 90% of story relevant characters".

"Why wouldn't the faction just use their invincible agents to kill every grunt on the other side"?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

One of the few character-killing things DXIW did right was late in the game where you meet the real NG Resonance and can kill her, then tell the NG AI about it. For just a few minutes I felt like Alex Denton had truly inherited JC's Supreme rear end in a top hat genes.
Tell me you have a link to a video?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Brannock posted:

Welcome to Games, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Deus Ex is Art.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

cmurphy50 posted:

All I gotta say is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tzs47o33A
No, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtJMdExpNw&feature=related

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How would a mod let you keep working for UNATCO? You'd still need some excuse to shoot your way in to the levels in the later half of the game.
Half of the places you fight in are under the control of other factions. Just change the enemies around a bit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished The Nameless Mod. Planning to go through it again soon. The amount of attention to detail and work that has been put into the mod in general is impressive. And going back to the "plot important NPC invulnerability" discussion - the mod does a better job of working with that than either "real" game. There are 5-6 NPCs you can't kill, and 5 of them have an explanation that makes sense in-game (there's also a building with 4-5 guys you can't kill and have your game continue if you choose one faction)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Le Sean posted:

While we're at it, scrap the entire catacombs level. Yeesh.
Yes, let's keep the settings to offices and industrial levels. Those aren't played out at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Linguica posted:

Is this like a real catchphrase now? Has my dumb youtube video taken on a life of its own?
Yes

Also, like 60% of internet memes are generated by goons (or 4 chan). Weird.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Looking at it this way it's almost like Deus Ex was to the FPS/RPG/stealth hybrid
Was that really a "genre"? Or even a "thing"?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Does the Cassandra Project not work with Steam, or is there some sort of a workaround I need? Every time I try to run it, it can't find Cassandra.exe . Tried reinstalling, nothing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tecman posted:

It's because the installer makes a copy of the existing (note: Steam version) executable. What I did was use The Nameless Mod's .exe, since they provide one, and just named it Cassandra.exe - did the same for RedSun2020 too. It ran, for the short period of time that I tested this mod, just fine.
That worked for launching the game with the Cassandra map thingy in the beginning... but all the buttons seem to be disabled, so I can only sit and stare at the DX logo spinning.

Help?

Some more?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tecman posted:

Are you launching via the correct shortcut config?
Where do I change that?
(at the moment is stopped launching at all, and just goes "couldn't find steam" - then creates a link to steampowered store)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tecman posted:

gently caress, playing The Nameless Mod some more revealed a ton of awesome poo poo once you reach the WorldCorp Labs and the experiments within. On one hand, you have this lovely internet forum fanfiction circlejerk gimmick. On the other, this is as close as you'll ever get to playing some more Deus Ex.

I was impressed by the effort and poo poo (though I think the idea of a forum city could have been implemented in a much more interesting way. Links, alternate accounts, something beyond "killing people deletes their account" in terms of removing people from reality and more complex interactions) but the game design really didn't seem DX-sish to me. There were barely any vents!

(In other news, it still does the "failed to find steam" poo poo, so... I dunno. I'll go do something productive instead, I guess)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 22, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fnoigy posted:

Gib with the GEP Gun.
Fixed, I guess. I just think it looks better that way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is the Plasma gun as useless as I think?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've spent 2 hours combined so far trying to beat Liberty Island on easy. It cannot be done.

This game is even harder than I remember. :cry:
On the off chance you're serious:
If you insist on going the gung-hoe way, upgrade your pistols to advanced, and you'll be able to do some damage. You can also lure a bunch of NSF guys to the bots on the docks (turns out that luring Paul into the middle of the NSF guys does nothing).

If you want to stealth, remember that the guards have a 120 degree vision, and can't hear stuff more than 10 meters away.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

You can still kill Billie by pushing her into the bathroom; turn the water on and watch her die, slowly :chord:
The game crashes latter, when it can't find her (something both DX games did for some odd reason)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

I will remember nsf001/smashthestate and ajacobson/calvo (also 2001, meh) till the day I die. Although to be fair, those are early in the game and easy to remember.
What does calvo stand for, anyway?

AXE COP posted:

So I just discovered that there's some crates underneath the dock where you start; hop off into the water and two crates containing a lockpick and a multitool are in a smashed cage attached to the underneath of the wooden planking.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know those were there. :shobon:
There are stairs leading into the water RIGHT THERE. How do you not check that out?

Ansob. posted:

0451 is the code to the first keypad in every Looking Glass/Irrational game that has keypads, because it was the keypad to their first office building.

So yeah, pretty sure it's an homage.
http://www.hitselfdestruct.com/2008/07/0451.html

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

It kinda makes sense, actually.
It makes sense to track the status of those NPCs you have plans for - that is, "if status=dead, then=do something". If you have no such plans and "if dead, then=crash" you're probably doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

Edit - I have great reading comprehension skills. Shut up, my highschool grades prove it!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 23, 2010