Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I played through the entirety of TNM. The "lol you're in a forum" stuff doesn't last long, except for the drat Goat cult who all speak in some kind of lolcat dialect, and all the plot devices having forum-related names. And the first mission is crappy. "Go get some money, like gently caress am I gonna tell you how." But once you get to the point where you can choose your allegiance it starts to feel a lot more like Deus Ex. It certainly does the multiple-paths-through-a-level thing better than some vanilla DX levels did.

It's really easy to tell who hasn't played it for more than an hour or so, if at all.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

chimz posted:

(I-LAW)

It's in the MJ12 underground base when you go to meet Paul after his killswitch has been engaged. It's behind a rock which blocks off the route to the lab thing they had Smuggler's friend in. Much better for opening locked things, because it's less explosive than a GEP gun, ammo is slightly more plentiful, and you can move around like you're carrying a shotgun.

I thought it didn't show up til you came back after Hong Kong to find Dowd.

Also the MiB in the MJ12 base under UNATCO, the one near the greasel cages, has a Mk1 Nanosword, but you need to tranq him to get it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

Yep, no loving indicator whatsoever aside from the "Special Limited Edition" tucked in the corner. Cost me $15 too.

I don't follow what's happening here. You got sold half a game?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's not in the OP and I didn't see it mentioned, but the only thing that managed to fix my speed issues was using D3DOverrider to force v-sync on the game. As far as I know the only way to get it is to download RivaTuner, but you don't have to use RivaTuner to use D3DOverrider.

The DX10 renderer also has a VSync option in its config.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
So hey there's a relatively new DX mod out called Biomod which is an add on to Shifter which does some neat stuff with augmentations.

Some mods, like Run Silent and Microfibral Muscle, are always on and drain no energy, as in IW (to counter that one, crouch running with Speed Enhancement is no longer silent).

Others, like Ballistic Protection and Aggressive Defence System, can be left on all the time and only drain energy when triggered (so Ballistic Protection only drains bioenergy when you get shot).

Spy Drone is now more useful as it's cheaper, faster and can trigger switches, keypads and computers.

You can mantle onto surfaces as in Thief (which saves time lugging crates around).

Things like flak jackets and rebreathers don't lose power over time, but with use. So it's like durability now instead of battery power.

You can pickpocket unsuspecting NPCs to steal keys from them including Anna Navarre, though apparently there's a trick to sneaking up on her.

There's an autosave feature (at last!)

Beta 7 was just released. I've only played with it for a little bit, but it seems really neat so far.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

This mod in total seems pretty cool in total, but how is what I quoted balanced? After they buff one thing, they nerf something else entirely unrelated that the player can't even possess at the same time? They nerf the Speed Aug to balance buffing the Silent aug? That doesn't make sense. The same player can't even have both of them at once. What if I want to use the Speed Enhancement? It's exactly like it was before, except now I can't crouch run with it.

I understand that they did it so that now we'd actually have to choose between the two leg augs because now neither is objectively better... but they accomplished that by making the Run Silent aug take no energy. Gimping the Speed Aug's crouch run was unnecessary. It should have either been "run silently at the cost of zero bio energy, or run fast and crouch walk fast and silently, but it costs energy."

Honestly in that equation I would never pick the first one because Speed Enhancement doesn't use all that much energy. It'd become "run silently with no energy" versus "crouch walk fast and silently and run and jump super fast at the cost of bioenergy which isn't really at a premium."

EDIT: In regards to the health thing, this mod changes that so it only heals you if you go without being shot for a few seconds, kinda like regenerating health in modern FPS games. At the same time it doesn't drain health unless it's actually healing you. I guess to prevent you running into a firefight with l4 regeneration and taking much more damage than you could normally without taking cover? Though we've all done that I'm sure.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
You know what, here's the readme for Biomod for the curious.

quote:

========================================
Augmentations

Augmentations now fall into three categories based on the way they use energy

Active: Uses energy constantly while turned on. This is what all of the augmentations in the original game were like.
Automatic: When turned on, goes into an "idle" state which uses no energy. When idle, will automatically activate when needed and drain energy while it works.
Passive: Uses no energy.

All augmentations, including passive ones can be toggled on and off at will. This is so that, for example, if you have microfibral muscle, you can still throw a chair at somebody's head without killing them.

Regeneration
============
Type: Automatic
Cost: 300 Units/Minute while healing
Description: Regeneration now works like the health system in most modern shooters, meaning that there's a delay between when you get hurt and when the healing kicks in. If you want instant healing you'll have to use a medkit.

Aqualung
========
Type: Passive
Description: Aqualung now actually restores some of your energy when you're in water, in addition to letting you breathe.

Energy Shield
=============
Cost: 50% of damage from energy attacks
Description: Energy shield can now be left on indefinitely, because it only uses energy when protecting you from damage.

Power Recirculator
==================
Description: Power recirculator is now passive.

Environmental Resistance
========================
Cost: 40% of damage from toxins
Description: Environmental resistance can now be left on indefinitely, because it only uses energy when protecting you from hazards.

Spy Drone
=========
Type: Active
Cost: 100 Units/Minute
Description: In addition to increasing the speed and reducing the energy drain, I've added a few abilities to make the spy drone better at, well, spying. You can now use the drone to gather intel from datacubes, trigger buttons and switches, and even hack computers without exposing yourself to danger.

Aggressive Defense System
=========================
Cost: 15 Units/Projectile
Description: Aggressive defense now only drains energy when it's actually protecting you, so you can leave it on indefinitely.

Ballistic Protection
====================
Cost: 50% of damage from projectiles and bladed weapons
Description: Balistic protection can now be left on indefinitely, because it only uses energy when protecting you from damage. Be careful though, as it can drain your energy very quickly if you find yourself getting riddled with bullets.

Radar Transparency
==================
Cost: 200 Units/Minute
Description: In order to reflect its usefulness relative to cloak, radar transparency's cost has been reduced by 100 units/Minute

EMP Shield
==========
Description: Rather than making you spend energy to save energy, EMP Shield is now a passive reduction to EMP damage

Electrostatic Discharge
=======================
Description: Similar to its counterpart in Invisible War, electrostatic discharge (added by Shifter) has been made passive

Microfibral Muscle
==================
Description: Similar to its counterpart in Invisible War, microfibral muscle has been made passive

Speed Enhancement
=================
Cost: 40 Units/Minute
Description: Speed Enhancement no longer allows you move silently at high speeds. You can still "crouchrun", but it'll make a racket.

Run Silent
==========
Description: In addition to being made passive, run silent now reduces sounds made while jumping as well as running, similar to its counterpart in Invisible War

Tracking
========
Cost: 10 Units/Dart
Description: Replacing the targeting aug, tracking allows you to fire darts which when attached to a target will display its location on your HUD as well as the data you would get from targeting.

Vision Enhancement
==================
Cost: 40 Units/Minute
Description: The range of the sonar imaging effect of vision enhancement has been doubled, allowing you to see stuff through walls from a reasonable distance.

Gameplay Changes

Ballistic armor, hazmat suits and rebreathers degrade with use rather than over time, and tech goggles have a much longer duration and can give you heat or sonar vision depending on your skill level. These changes make the environmental training skill significantly more useful, so the skillpoint cost has been raised to be roughly equal to that of computers.

Pickpocketing system: Press use on an enemy NPC who is unaware of you, and you'll steal their keys if they have any.

Ledge Grab/Mantling system: Hold the jump key down when next to a ledge and JC will hoist himself over it. NOTE: YOU MUST REBIND YOUR JUMP KEY IN THE KEYBOARD/MOUSE SETTINGS MENU TO USE THIS FEATURE.

More convenient tools: Press use on an an item that can be unlocked, picked, or bypassed (except for keypads) and you'll automatically equip the appropriate tool.

Autosave feature: Automatically saves every time you change maps.

Unconscious NPCs now actually act like it, rather than just being a corpse by another name.

Added the ability to toggle buttons and switches by shooting them, Duke3D style.

Fixed a bug in the mission05 script where it didn't properly disable charged pickups before removing them.

Fixed hazmat suits so they actually do protect against fire, electricity and EMP like their description says they do.

Restored the crossbow's real, previously unused firing sound (in the original game it sounded like a stealth pistol).

Restored "ricochet" sounds that were supposed to play when bullets hit a wall (in the original game they made no sound at all!).

Added bullet impacts on decorations.

Restored "armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets.

Added poisoned throwing knives to the high end random inventory list.

Added fire propagation between NPCs.

Gave NPCs the ability to pick up and use fire extinguishers if they need to.

Added pain and death sounds that were previously only used by the player to NPCs. No more people saying "oof!" when breathing in poison gas.

Made it so that NPCs can be "Stun-locked" by machinegun fire

Increased the amount of time between pain sounds on NPCs, to cut down on the "OOF OOF OOF OOF" factor.

Prevented the player from reloading their weapon when they shouldn't be able to.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. Wonder what that means.

Buggered if I know. I'll ask the guy and get back to you.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Where can I get that mod? Recirculator sounds overpowered vs. Shifter's version but Regeneration is at least tempered to the point where you can't just flick it on every time you get lit on fire.

Right here

GreatGreen posted:

Welp, Biomod sounds awesome. Looks like I'll be using it when I play the game tonight.

I'm assuming that because I'm using the Shifter mod in my current playthrough that I should be able to install Biomod and keep right on playing my current game with no compatibility issues, right?

I couldn't say, I didn't have it installed until yesterday (shock horror, DX uninstalled, I know I know, but I reformatted the other week and hadn't gotten around to reinstalling. All I can suggest is backup Shifter's files and give it a go.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

You go back to UNATCO in the second? ffs, I might have to keep playing this poo poo.

For about ten minutes, and there's nobody and nothing much there. You don't have to keep playing this poo poo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

My grandchildren will praise your name, Dr Snofeld.

Well make sure they spell it right.

I actually completed IW twice, though perhaps because I had nothing better to play at the time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It turns out the "act like they're unconscious" thing means if you knock them out, then shoot them, they still die. Apparently in vanilla DX you could attack an unconscious body all you like and they'd not die.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Upon replaying DE1 for the 3rd or 4th time I've decided to go very melee heavy and use the crossbow. I know how important the strength ability is for unlocking points and whatnot so would I be completely screwed if I took the melee damage ability instead? I'm not using any mods other than the fixer.

Shifter combines those two augs into one, and makes the paired aug one which adds EMP damage. Something to consider.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think I'll have to restart with shifter then. Good thing I didn't progress too far

And of course Biomod makes both of the mods passive so they drain no energy.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

If I'm using Shifter + Biomod and made the mistake of picking a lovely aug for my build, can I undo that without having to load a save that's an hour behind my last save?

Shifter lets you replace augs, so yes, assuming you find a canister with the aug you're looking for.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm in the last area of TNM now. I'm going for the secret ending this time, I should be right on track for it.

My favourite thing about TNM? Some of the new weapons, particularly the Twin Pistols and the EMP Pistol. Those two alone make reaching Master skill with pistols desirable. I could do without the sporks, though.

Oh and they removed the Swimming skill and replaced it with Weapon: Fists. Yes there's a hand-to-hand skill in this game, complete with special added-effect gloves for each skill level (which handily don't take up inventory space). Though I've never gotten the hang of knocking guys out bare-handed.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I just used the stun gloves and punched them unconscious.

Yeah but they need Master skill level, presumably cos they were too OP to be available at Trained. Not that it matters too much, I have a Dragon Tooth Sword.

EDIT: Oh hey (TNM secret ending spoiler), the Narcissus ending unlocks bullet time.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Just reached Hong Kong with Biomod. I must say, having maxed out always on no power drain Run Silent is oddly liberating. I don't have to bother with all that crouching bullshit, just run up and smack dudes on the back of the head.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

The railgun is a Shifter weapon. If I remember right, it has a scope by default.

And yes, it shoots through walls.

As far as unique Shifter weapons go I love the Blackjack, which is actually better at breaking doors than the DTS in Shifter. The ILAW is neat too.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

HardCorey posted:

Is it possible to NOT defect?
I'm playing for the first time and I'm trying to be a loyal UNATCO soldier. I go back to Paul and tell him, "no dice, I'm going to Hong Kong." but then the helicopter isn't on the roof anymore.

Yeah, you gotta side with the NSF on this one I'm afraid. They didn't create a whole other storyline for if you side with the bad guys.

You know what does? The Nameless Mod.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm trying out Biomod's new Spy Drone. I haven't had the chance to do much of its new interaction stuff (it can only read datacubes at lvl2, use switches at 3 and hack at 4) but a level 3 drone stops one of those chicken-legged robots in its tracks with fairly minimal energy cost. Though that may have been the case in vanilla DX too.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I said it before, but non-draining always-on Run Silent is satisfying and hilarious. Combined with good Low-Tech skill and the Blackjack, I'm waiting til guys turn away, running full pelt at them and then smacking them over the head. Suppressing the urge to yell "Oh Yeah!" as I do.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ansob. posted:

Can anyone get the mantling to work in Biomod? I started a new game after installing it but I can't figure out how to mantle. It doesn't work like in Thief if it's in. :/

You have to rebind the Jump key for some reason (even if it's just to the same key as it was before). Then you hold jump to climb up things. Without Speed Enhancements, you can only mantle ledges that would otherwise require you to use one of those little steel boxes to scale.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr_Person posted:

I fixed the audio cutting off by going into power management settings and changing the minimum processor speed to 100%. If you're using the DX10 renderer, the multi-core fix shouldn't affect things one way or the other since it takes care of that on its own.

You could also try turning on VSync in the renderer's options. I forget how to do it though, check its website.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Vsync results in horrible mouse lag. Use the OpenGL renderer and a 60 FPS limit. The DX10 renderer is poo poo.

Different systems different results and all that. Works perfectly on an 8800GTS.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Le Sean posted:

Getting Miguel out of UNATCO is incredibly rewarding, especially when you try taking him with you to Hong Kong/New York.

He's just so nice! :)

I once got him almost all the way out only for him to be killed by the guard at the retinal scanner at the UNATCO entrance. :( I now make sure to keep him out of harms way. And give him an assault shotgun, thanks to Shifter.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I finished another playthrough tonight, I can now get on with my life again.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Are the Shifter and New Vision mods compatible with each other?

Yeah, they don't change any of the same files. They work fine together.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Vita posted:

Is it just me or does Striker make the game really hard? I can't face any enemies on Medium without dying in what feels like 3 shots with perfect accuracy and yet it takes me 10 seconds just to get a bead on them.
This is my first playthrough though, so maybe I just suck :shobon:

First of all it's Shifter. Secondly, the game's just like that. You have to learn to deal with it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Shifter is already included in Biomod, so that makes it Biomod + New Vision.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. If you avoid him at the seabase, he shows up again at Area 51 itching for a final showdown. Of course, with the water route, you can avoid him there, too. Poor little guy.

Course if you avoided him there you'd miss JC's all time best one-liner.

What annoyed me about IW was that Alex D had no personality whatsoever, compared to JC who was just ice cold and collected all the time, but not boring, and fairly witty at times too.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I thought Paul only died if you bailed on him and went out the window when he asked. I helped him fight the MIB and UNATCO Troopers right out of the Ton.

Should I have gone out the front too? I went out the window after all the fighting because it seemed much easier.

Yeah the "Paul dies" trigger is on the window in Vanilla. Provided you don't do that then Paul survives no matter what. Shifter and Biomod change it so if you help him fight out but leave through the window he still survives.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Lonjon posted:

I always thought the opposite of the universal ammo. The in game reasons for it are absurd and laughable, but it makes the game much more playable. In IW you don't have to worry about saving your precious 3 rockets for some bad guy that may or may not require them - instead, you just pick the weapon that is most appropriate for the job at hand.

Conversely, if you run out of ammo for one gun, you run out of ammo for all guns.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

arioch posted:

That's actually right by Jock's apartment. Presumably Paul was originally going to have Jock take out Maggie Chow.

If you log in to the PC in Jock's closet you find an email saying pretty much that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

They do a good amount of damage and hit a small area, so they're good for blowing open weak doors or slaughtering tightly-bunched groups of enemies. You could also try killing Walton Simons with only PS20s, just for the sheer cyberpunk manliness of J.C. pulling a series of futuristic Derringers out of his coat and blasting away at the much more heavily-armed Simons.

This gave me the best mental image of Simons holding JC upside down by the ankles and shaking out dozens of PS20s.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Gerbik posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Quick question: When do you get the mission from Smuggler to rescue his friend? I didn't talk to him the first time I was in Hell's Kitchen and I can't seem to get him to bring it up the next couple times I was there.

You missed out then, it's the first time you're there.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I've just started giving The Nameless Mod a shot. It's... well, I don't know how to feel. It's very Deus Ex, but the whole concept is so obnoxiously in-jokey that you're frequently pulled out of it to get treated with 'lololoz llama noobz' bullshit. I hope this kind of crap becomes less emphasised as I go on, because as mod projects go this is really goddamned impressive.

It does get less LOLinternet as you go on and starts to become actually funny in places. And there are some pretty impressive feats. Remember how people wanted to stay with UNATCO in the original? In TNM you can side with the bad guys and access a different set of missions in different locations.

Tip for early on: Regardless of the path you choose you'll go to WorldCorp HQ. In a lab on level 2, look VERY carefully at a pedestal thing in the middle of the floor with wires coming out. The most useful weapon in the game is on top but the pedestal is shaped in such a way that you can't see it from the other side of the room. I missed it first time round.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

The Nameless Mod is actually pretty awesome.

Apart from the jumping puzzles.

The Old Server Complex was pretty horrible before patches removed the unavoidable damage bits and nerfed those flying bots.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The Goat City level has some of my favourite music in TNM, especially the combat music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Whiirrr posted:

How do you change what augmentation you picked? I chose the invisible to seeing people one and it turned out to be a stupid mistake (I thought security cameras used normal vision to see people).

In vanilla DX, you can't. In Shifter and BioMod you can overwrite the old aug with a new one.