Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

The Supreme Court posted:

Anyone know how the Shifter Mod deals with not killing anyone? I'm justabout through Liberty Island with no kills, but taking people down with the prod/tranquiliser darts/baton doesn't give nearly the same Skill Points as lots of headshots would.

So don't kill or stun them, if you sneak close by and don't take them down, you'll get massive bonuspoints at the end of the map :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So I know most people have said that Invisible War sucks compared to Deus Ex, but is it worth the $2.50 it's up for now?

I say yes, if only for the Omar and playing something that vaguely resembles DX1. It's 2,50 so if it sucks, whatever.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Jesus Christ, IW! What the HELL is up with the loading? Each transition/load takes about 40 seconds on my brand-new rig, and shows the desktop for 5 seconds before starting to load :psyduck:

Is this normal? Goddamn, I can't play this poo poo like this.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

And find the crossbow asap, if you go straight ahead from the docks and take the first left, you come across a corpse with the crossbow. Go on, find the UNATCO dude, and he will sell you a load of tranq darts for 60 credits. Then just use the aiming thing explained above, and hit every enemy with one dart, and run. They collapse after 10 seconds.

Easiest way to clear out single enemies.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

You have to find the dead mechanic at the helipad when you're at Everett's place. Then talk to the live "Odd Mechanic," then kill him.

The only thing you have to do is run up to the live one and :black101: him in THE FACE with your nanosword of choice. The rest is optional.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

Oh that's right. I remember in one playthrough just twatting him in the face and JC justifies it with "Something just didn't seem right about him" or something like that.

Yeah, that bit is full of voice acting goodness. You can even run all the way back to everett and talk to him about the suspicious guy, or after the deed, he actually compliments you on your paranoia.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fnoigy posted:

Paul secretly loves to kill. He's just so thoroughly capable of murder.

Is there a non-cheat way to activate the Dance Party ending? I thought somebody mentioned throwing the american flag into Manderley's toilet as the trigger, but I'm not sure if I remember right or if it was a serious post.

That only works in DX2 to get the secret ending, IIRC. The DX1 dance ending is only available trough the cheat codes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Frankosity posted:

So I decided to give the on-site procurement challenge a try and quickly realised the full consequences of the challenge. I angled my skills towards a tech-focused Solid Snake evasion build then realised at Battery Park that it wasn't really going to work within the constraints of the challenge. I'm guessing it's best to take a balanced build with the challenge, so you can use whatever's on hand?

I guess computer-advanced and low-tech at least trained will make the most difference. Melee weapons can be found virtually everywhere, and don't require ammo. Computer hacking is just useful EVERYWHERE.

Even though you don't need weapons per se, some training in either pistols or rifles will help in the harder maps. In the first few maps, pistol skills > rifle skills, because the NSF mostly carries the 10mm. Later on, when fighting MJ12, rifle skill is more important, but melee stays viable throughout the entire game. I personally went with computer-lowtech-rifle as my build, and I'm now at Hong Kong.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

gently caress, the throwing-melee-weapons mechanic of Shifter is hilarious. Running around Liberty Island, throwing crowbars and batons in the faces of the NSF guys never gets old. The BONK sound makes it even more cartoony.

Guns are for suckers. Here, take a piece of massive steel IN YOUR FACE.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

Or hide in a vent and potshot the guards with tranq darts if you really feel like you must take down everyone. Or toss a gas grenade and go on a prodding spree, which is my favorite way to handle crowds on nonlethal. This game's all about options.

e: I don't think I've ever been attacked by a gray because the instant I see one, I'm filling them with as many bullets as I can as fast as possible.

or just shoot the tnt, gently caress the hostages.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Frankosity posted:

I'm doing a stealth run and I was curious as to whether it's worth getting both of the subdermal stealth augmentations. They're pretty prohibitive in energy cost but I can imagine having both of them would let you ghost pretty well through tight spots.

You don't need them, really. I only used cloak like 5 times in my entire stealth game. Radar Transparency is just as useless. Just shoot out cameras and poo poo with your silenced sniper/hack computers. And the few bots you can't avoid love to snack on some EMP nades.

e: on the other hand, the other option (ballistic/energy protection) is quite useless in a stealth run, so go for the double cloak!

OneEightHundred posted:

Run Silent is crap because you can just pick the speed aug and walk. Alternately distract things by shooting the wall in front of them with the crossbow.

Anyway, I've cleared this game like 3 times and I can't loving figure it out: Where is the code to the room underneith the police station in Hong Kong?

IIRC, Maggie Chow gives it to you when you accept her quest to find out about the corrupt policemen.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2010

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

Time to get Shifter methinks. I was always put off by the skill points from kills thing. ("I lose skill points for using a flamethrower on that crazy woman's cats in Paris? gently caress that.")

But instead it gives you skillpoints to stomp twice on animals.

Picture an augmented superagent loaded to the brim with rockets and pistols, jumping up and down cats like a dystopian mario brother.

awesome.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

1. The power recirculator is a passive aug in the base game. It only activates when it actually saves power. It might have been patched in though.

2. The speed aug is really amazing to use in your first game, and totally not useless.

3. Same with regeneration, ballistic armor, strength aug. They are really no-brainers (run up to a firefight, switch on regen/armor/strength and kill em all with the DTS/baton :black101: )

I had a ton of fun with augs in my first run. Yes, you can do it boring sneakystyle and not use them and silently kill everyone, but that's quite boring. Deus Ex is one of the few shooter/rpg's where you feel like a wuss at the start and a god at the end, without truly breaking.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The physics in DX are sometimes AWESOME. The all-crushing doors are amazing, as are npc's who waltz trough everything. It's also awesome that you can make npc's open locked doors by alerting them from the other side (don't forget to put a crate of BOOM in front of the door!).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nathilus posted:

I was really excited when Namless Mod finally came out. gently caress yes, basically a new Deus Ex game!

I got to the goat temple and quit. More than anything the map design killed it for me. The main parts of the city are kind of like that Paris at night aboveground map but lovely, poorly scaled, boxy, mostly uninteresting, and they feel like they were designed by a complete amateur.

The balance was poor too, in my opinion. They throw some really annoying combat areas at you pretty early before you have the resources to give yourself options other than saving and reloading.

That said there's likely some Deus Ex fun hiding in there. To those that got further than me, does the game get better?

YES. It really pays to explore every nook and cranny, and before any combat you can have the DTS, your pistols, a bunch of lams and 20 mm ammo, and you're totally set for everything. Then you break in at worldcorp and steal everything, and you're totally loaded. The city-maps are awful, but the indoor areas are amazing. You're still at the beginning, the next few maps are actually really well done (with the rogue AI taking over your brain and stuff).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

newsomnuke posted:

It's not Anna, it's Howard Strong, and there is to my knowledge no way of avoiding his death.

Use a tranq dart to knock him out. In the storyline he probably dies as a missile passes by inches from his unconscious body, but gameplaywise he lives.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

And the tranqdarts remain viable until the end against all organic targets. Also, if you have master pistol skill and modded your 10mm pistol, it's a total beast which kills almost everything with a single headshot.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, Shifter really turns me into mass-murder mode for the skillpoints. You also get more for longe range kills, non-lethal takedowns, and for stronger enemies. Prodding a MiB gives you a whopping 105 points! And of course, Shifters random-loot system also makes sure MiBs have awesome rewards when they don't explode.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Witchfinder General posted:

You can turn on notifications and it'll inform you when you fail the challenge.

How are you supposed to get around Walton Simons non-lethally? I know you can avoid him until the end, but don't you have to deal with him at some point head on?

Nope, you can just run past him at the underground labs, and at A-51 you can either run past him or take the back way in (in the large garage to the left, enter through the fan-intake).

You can skip Gunther too, by just running away. Navare is the only true kill if you don't exploit faults in the game engine. Even if you glitch past, the game counts her as dead.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Besides your weapon of choice, the only things REALLY worth carrying around are medkits, biocells, multitools and lockpicks. Always keep a single-slot melee weapon around (pref. the baton) for busting open crates and such, unless you keep the DTS (KEEP IT). The rest of the items are best used when found, or left behind. If you have spare space, I'd recommend keeping EMP/Scramble/gas 'nades there, they are always useful.

You do not NEED any item in the game except the nanokey, so just take the stuff you really want. Somebody finished the game without augs, skills or items.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yes, of course! LAMS are always useful. I knew I forgot a grenade type! Explosive weapons are great in DX, they are the best lockpicks.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I thought that was a Shifter feature?

fake edit: Looked it up, and it works in vanilla too!

DX Wiki posted:

It can also be used on certain laser-beam tripwires to bypass them without triggering them: the spray can block the beam without triggering the security device, allowing you to crouch, spray, and slide past undetected. Unfortunately, only a minority of triggers are susceptible to this trick and there's no way to tell without risking setting the trap off.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

After visiting a medical bot, he's currently struggling through the forced stealth bit which he says is ridiculously hard. I don't remember it being that hard, but still, so bad that it's forced upon you - I mean, the stealth in the game is pretty intuitive it didn't need a section in the tutorial.

The stealth section is horrible, yes. drat hard. And everyone has run most of the tutorial without legs, it's one of histories greatest gaming moments.

Also, RE: Tong, internet:
Every single branch of industry, almost all communication (even phones, except some emergency backup lines) and almost all banking are reliant on the internet now. Add some decades to get to the DX universe, and I bet you can imagine that the removal of internet will pretty much destroy society.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Holy poo poo, I've played trough this game about 10 times now, and JUST realized how loving awesome pepper spray and gas 'nades are. Not only do they incapacitate enemies, they also deal some damage. I've just chucked a gas 'nade into a room of mj12 dudes (hell's kitchen sewers), ran up with my pistol (no skill, just laser sight and some mods), and headshotted them all to death in the space of 2 seconds. That was goddamn brutal.

Pepperspray is king too. Just too bad that it won't always work; it sucks to be spraying some loser in the face with 20 units of gas, only to be headshotted dead.

I play with shifter, of course. Going to try Biomod for my next run. It just seems so massively overpowered, JC is already a GOD.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, same here: At the airport level, just before entering the 747, there is a secret room in the NSF barracks building. Never knew that before!

My :black101:-run is going excellent. My gimmick for this run is ambushing everyone and SHOOTING THEM RIGHT IN THE FACE. Man, never knew the sawed-off could be so satisfying to use. Also: who needs weapon skills? Only rolling with maximum low-tech so I can break down doors, but otherwise running up to guys and unloading into their heads works like a charm without skills.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

For camera's: When they see you they beep. Hide, and the beep goes away: nothing happens. If you stay in their FoV the whole beeping time, the alarm goes off. The time to alarm is reduced by the hacking skill IIRC. So yeah, you can just look, hide, look again etc.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kill/tranq the two guys walking around, throw a gas 'nade into the barracks, run in and headshot/bump their heads with the baton.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Why would you ever play DX without the GEP gun, it's boggling my mind. It's the leatherman of the dystopian future.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Man, the crossbow rules. They do that, then everyone comes running, chuck a gas nade, run up, headshot the fools. Or a GEP rocket, obviously.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The poisoned throwing knives added by Biomod are tranq darts on crack. They knock out standard guys in about 3 seconds. Love 'em.

Just realized how friggin' strong the sawed-off is. It oneshots enemies in the beginning of the game at close range. Awesome. Slap some clip mods on the thing, stand around a corner, and go nuts. No skills required!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Quick question, does biomod work with the nameless mod? Figure I should at least try to ignore the internet humour and play it, looks amazing.

Also, are there any reliable ways to do a none-lethal knock-out on an enemy when they're sitting down? I always end up destroying the chair and getting bullets shoved in my face.

I don't think biomod works. Shifter does however. TNM has some modifications to skills and augs, so I think biomod is incompatible.

Sitting down enemies? Spray em in the face with pepper first, or prod 'em.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

goddamnit not this poo poo again.

Short version, without pages of debate, yelling and bans: Try it, technically it sucks (small maps, lots of loading times etc), the story is generally regarded as OK, and the gameplay has flaws but can be fun.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, it takes a bit from all three endings, and then moves on like it didn't really happen, and JC is just chilling there with his AI buddy in his head doin' his thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Well, the game took place 20 years after DX1. In that time, JChelios (is that a latin name?) did nothing, and the worldwide downfall of international communication has been solved. So JC is doing his thing and nothing else really changed is not that far off I guess!

I'm not saying the story sucks or whatever.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

My explanation for this is that JC is, despite UNATCO's insistence, dumb as a rock.

I think this is cemented over and over again in the original game. I believe the conspiracy runs even deeper: UNATCO just wanted to get rid of JC, and put poo poo in motion to make Paul and JC defect so they could kill 'em off without questions asked. However, the dumb stubbornness of the AUGMENTED brothers ultimately triumphed. I mean, all three endings are pretty dumb. Merge with a relatively unknown AI? Blow up the world center for all communication? Give everything to a shady group bent on controlling the world? Why the hell not take everything over yourself with your allies (Tong, Paul, Alex, Jaime, NSF, Silhouette, Triads, Savage, Smuggler, etc, you could have ballin' parties at A51).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You could, it was the 4th ending.

gently caress, you are absolutely right! forgot about the best ending. PARTYZONE!
For the unknowing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Top right of your inventory screen dude.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The poisoned knife shifter adds in does that. It's found at Smuggler's.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can just avoid simons by taking the alternate route in. You can't knock him out IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Is Anachronox that game where you get a planet as a party member?

Wait, what? How does that even work :psyduck:
I've gotta get this game.