Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

KillHour posted:

There's... a safe in Manderly's office? :psyduck:

Count me in :psyduck:

Shifty Scandaroon, are you loving with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is the Lightsaber the best melee weapon in the game? I just got it and I'm tearing bitches up. I don't even bother going Solid Snake on them anymore.

Get level 3 melee and the re circulator aug and you can brake most doors and drawers with ease. Particularly useful when doing a non-lethal playthrough or just wanting to save on lock picks.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

BlackCircle posted:

I save on lock picks by using the GEP gun :smug:

I once managed to open three doors and three drawers with one GEP rocket :smug:

This was done by shooting an MIB and causing a chain reaction.

Tanith posted:

Are there any compelling reasons to use the shotgun over any of the other weapons, the overly plentiful ammunition notwithstanding?

The pump-action shotgun is not a very useful weapon, but a fully upgraded one can blow a camera in 2-3 shots and a good close-quarter gun. The Autoshotgun is a waste of space compared to the submachine gun, but still a good weapon.

There's also a different pump-actions shotgun in Jock's apartment (in Hong Kong) called the "boom stick". It deals more damage and it has more recoil.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 19, 2010

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm gonna start buying DE for some steam buddies of mine today.

Casimir Radon posted:

Good work Ion Storm, it's not like I even had to cheat or do anything clever to find this on my first playthrough.

Ion Storm: :iamafag:

That's what you get when you create a Subtractive map in Unreal Editor. lovely poo poo poo poo. You'll see a lot of those in some corners once you get to NY.

If you want to continue on playing this game, I'd recommend the Unified Texture pack from John P. It adds some nice little touches and makes the game more bearable.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Samopsa posted:

Jesus Christ, IW! What the HELL is up with the loading? Each transition/load takes about 40 seconds on my brand-new rig, and shows the desktop for 5 seconds before starting to load :psyduck:

Is this normal? Goddamn, I can't play this poo poo like this.

Unfortunately, it's normal for IW to do that. It's just how it coded.

Jetsetlemming posted:

It has nothing to do with the map being Subtractive. They actively set that surface to nodraw to save on performance, because they didn't expect anybody to see it. Also, back when IW was made, with the Unreal 2 engine, there wasn't an Additive-based mode in Ued. That was added for Unreal 3 and on.
I still prefer working with Subtraction, though. :colbert:

I know

but maybe you should stop being a nostalgic old-timer :smug:

Just a suggestion.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Perfect Potato posted:

I had 7 multitools. I used one. I now have 6 multitools. I found a new multitool. Inventory full. What. What are you talking about, Invisible War? My inventory isn't full, I just had 7! I did not meet whatever arbitrary multitool cap that's in this game. Why does this multitool take up an entirely different inventory space? Is it a special multitool? A king among multitools??

I do not like you, Invisible War. And stop changing my resolution settings, I had to go through a lot of trouble to set those at 1680x1050 and you keep changing them back when I'm not looking.

The UI is so bad.

I'm certain there is a bug with the multitools or it's just bad coding. Either the forums members/testers didn't notice it or they were just plain stupid (probably both). I suggest you keep two slots open for multitools. That way, there is less chance of it occurring and you'll have at least 30 multitools by the time you get to Cairo.

The fact is that the game hate us. It hates us all. It senses comfort and immediately triggers millions of lines of code to combat the effect. You feel like you're actually connected to a character or learning something? Then it'll bug out that character so that you can't communicate or causes NPCs to express hostility towards you for no reason, forcing you to exit and re-enter that area or worse, restart the game. Autosave? No way. You should've done a MANUAL SAVE. Oh, so you were actually making good progress? Well, too bad, this game just felt like crashing or randomly killing you. OOPS, look, a central character just walked too close to fire and now he/she is dead. and worst of all, it wasn't you who broke the game, it was THE GAME THAT BROKE THE GAME! HA-HA-HA!

tl;dr: This is IW.

This is an invisible war, friend and there are no winners. Only the Omar and their discounts.

Also, unless you have a third arm or a detachable num pad, you can't quickly switch between augs and items. Keep that V and B buttons handy.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cardboard Box A posted:

Since Invisible War comes fully patched I assume that you cannot kill people by throwing dead bodies at them? That was the best part about the original unpatched game.

You can still kill Billie by pushing her into the bathroom; turn the water on and watch her die, slowly :chord:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Xander77 posted:

The game crashes latter, when it can't find her (something both DX games did for some odd reason)

It kinda makes sense, actually.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Red Crown posted:

I've got a quest (IW spoiler): Kill JC Denton. No, I mean before you're supposed to. In the sanctuary, it appears that the radius of grenades goes inside his little chamber. Also, if you contact det spider grenades they'll spawn inside. Since they follow you, they'll push him around, but he'll stay inside the chamber. I don't have any explosive grenades, but I know the radius of smokes, flashbangs and EMPs affects whatevers inside...

Personally, I never really triedkilling him...that is until I got to NY, then I could cause in-fighting between parties and lead a squad of Templars and commandos to the statue. But it's interesting to know that you can still push him around within the chamber using spider grenades.

Xander77 posted:

It makes sense to track the status of those NPCs you have plans for - that is, "if status=dead, then=do something". If you have no such plans and "if dead, then=crash" you're probably doing it wrong.

That's IW for ya :[

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Spatial posted:

Never noticed this before. When you meet the Luminous Path guy on Tonochi Road he says that the they're watching over you. He wasn't kidding! The roof above:

I never figured how Jock/Luminous path assassin was supposed to come back down from there without breaking a joint or a leg. I never found a ladder in that area. Maybe it was hidden in a dark corner.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Bk. posted:

Stephany Maxwell, the science chick standing just outside the big blast doors that lead to Dr. Savage in Vandenberg, never talks to me.
I click on that bitch and she just won't say anything. This has happened in all my play-throughs so far, and she seems to be the only NPC in the entire game that doesn't say anything when right-clicked on.
What's the deal?

You have to use the cloak and silent footsteps to knock out the guy beside her. Do this before you kill the MIB and the two other guys downstairs.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
HAPPY BIRFDAY DEUS EX :neckbeard:

(Today was also my sister's birthday so I bought her a DE copy on steam)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mathemagician posted:

Is it just me or does SA make smilies blurry or something?

I was bored

I'm ready to put down real :10bux: to make this a emote.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Liberty Island destroys friendships.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I think I saw someone. A guy in a coat.

TWOOF

AH, I'M HIT!

cloop cloop cloop cloop ARGH

cloop cloop cloop cloop ARGH

cloop cloop cloop uuuuuuuh

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

This and VTM: Bloodlines are the best Deus Ex-like games you can find. Both are also on Source and they're both works of art. Deus Ex, EYE and VTMB are three of my personal favorite games.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm on Liberty Island and so far it's looking very nice. I ended up saving on the east side, not knowing there is an aimbot aiming for my skull from far away and now I'm stuck in an infinite loop where I get shot in the head the moment I load the game.

Can't say it's great.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Supreme Court posted:

Have you tried loading from a save where you're not dead?

That was my first and only save, so I'll just start again.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How the hell do I get Revision working on steam?

Hadn't played it in a long time and was gonna set it up on Steam. It worked well on GOG, but I messed up the update on the Steam version thinking it had softlocked so I stopped it halfway (there was a black screen that didn't even allow the explorer to work. Had to restart).

Now every time I try to reinstall it, it doesn't complete and complains about a file content lock, so it doesn't fully install.

Anyone have a workaround?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Been playing around more with Revision and it's actually gotten a lot better. I'm enjoying it so far and haven't found anything too questionable.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus, the Illuminati really don't give a poo poo about race to begin with. They're a global conglomerate of scheming James Bond villains of all stripes and ethnicities. Why would they want a racism metaphor to help control the world when they can do it through banks and fearmongering? Augments are being scapegoated, sure, but throwing ten percent of the planet under the bus seems bad for business considering how massive augmentations had been for the past fifteen years. Why would they let a MECHANICAL APARTHEID event happen? How does that benefit them when guys like Darrow and Page are augmented already? Deus Ex has always been about class struggle, so throwing a forced racism metaphor over top of that makes the whole thing collapse.

Increased police presence, I get. Disarmament of military augments, I get. Registration for augments, I get. But ghettos, purges and a magical aug city in the desert ala District 9? Are you serious? Clanks as a racial slur when you already had people calling augments "Augs" and "Hanzers" in the last game? Power armored police troopers to act as your faceless mooks? Come on, there's being pointed and contemporary and then there's being so on the nose you are the nose and the face and you've just been hit with a frying pan.

They should have started pushing for stuff like Taggart's aug registration bill while biotech companies begin probing the markets with the nanomachine augmentations of the first game, not putting up MECHANICAL APARTHEID.

It's becoming harder and harder to see how the Square Enix published Deus Ex games filter into the old games, because nothing in them ultimately matters twenty years down the line.

Also, visually, the Human Revolution and Mankind Divided games feel incredibly pretentious. Not the aesthetic itself, I like the neo art-deco black and gold. It's the visual language of the games that drive me up the wall. The Icarus metaphor makes no goddamn sense but they use it because it looks cool. Riots in the streets and pulled-from-the-headlines newscast footage without any substance to back it up. It's Evangelion levels of bullshit in video game form.

I've been trying to play through the games, but with HR not running right on Win10 and me not being able to fix it, I had to play through MD instead (FFS, Square, fix your games).

I honestly don't see how well they expect these games to age. I feel like I just can't be invested when the original is just more interested and subtle than a game with 100 times its budget. Non of the people writing this game or doing art seem to have any real life experience outside of school and their jobs and probably their Canadian uptown Steakhouse gathering.

Also, the engine chokes up on me sometimes. DX12 integration doesn't work half the time on my i9 GTX1080Ti and it's weird. DX11 is more stable though.

I guess Adam is kind of charming in his very unsocial and sarcastic way, but I don't really give a poo poo about him anymore.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Willie Tomg posted:

Have they put the aug upgrade canisters back on Realistic? Because that was the dealbreaker for me, and "its Realistic and so there should be less fun things for you to do in the early game" made me surprisingly pissed off, when it came from the mod author.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to play this on Realistic. Really easy to die in Revision tbh, easier than on OG DX.

Willie Tomg posted:

The commentary tracks for the HR director's cut are highly revealing. All the staff are really, really intelligent and interesting. All the managers and producers are incredibly oblivious meatballs getting high on their own piss. Literally half the staff commentary nodes are "we had this great idea, but the producers either spiked it for time or else Eidos trained us to the Unreal engine which was basically incapable of anything other than a straight FPS with stealth elements, but listen, the original idea we had was really cool okay??"

Too bad I can't play the game, either original release or DC, thanks to the game being really finnicky with Win10 and no solution is working for me. Probably the only Deus Ex game I can't play, considering there are actual ways of running DX and IW on modern systems.

I'd very much like to hear every single commentary track.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You have to compare the Devs of OG DX and HR&MD. You're comparing old experienced veterans in Ion Storm with a lot of push from Romero back in the day to Jean Francois and his producer buddy with hundreds of hungry people just having reached their 30s wanting to put something on their belt. There was really no comparison there and honestly, we shouldn't have expected and real quality outside of visual and very good game programming to be involved. I'm looking at this both from the POV of a consumer and a developer (contractor, really). You can't have people with no life experience doing a game based on these subject matters, let alone Canadians.

Personally, I'm not gonna stick or might probably forget them. HR and MD are great virtual playgrounds where you can mess around with augs and the environments like the original games, but that's where the similarities end.

Willie Tomg posted:

There's a playlist LP here, from a goon smart enough to hush up while there's content going if you're just absolutely dying to kill the time at some point. Even scrubbing through it quick, the opening walk is triggering me a little, lol

Mary Demarle: A lot of the augmentation discussion in early development among the team came from Vasili's arm, because it involved a lot of conversations about augmentation in the white-collar workplace while also visually setting up a major plot point in the third act
Jean-Francois Phuccphais: That's why we show the arm! Oh, here's an explosion.

Thanks a lot, mate. I'll have to watch the LPs, since I can't play the games on my PC.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
JC doesn't need to eat lovely candy bars just to recharge his energy. Just take a couple power packs and turn on all your augs and kill everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Doth thee has't a single fact to backeth yond up?