Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So glad for this thread. I'm on my second playthrough of Deus Ex (first with the Shifter mod) and it's even better this time around. What sold me on Deus Ex was when I was going through Versalife and, needing some medkits, decided to break into the storage room and nab a few. Later, when I got to the guy you do the sidequest for to get discounts on stuff, I found a newspaper article talking about how a lack of supplies led to a number of patient deaths. It was just a random little text blip from a newspaper, but it was loving awesome.

Deus Ex is so badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

I beat it for the first time last year and just replayed it a few weeks ago, it's as good as people say

Me too. I played (and beat it) for the first time last year and started a new game about two weeks ago. It's also even better the second time around. You will not be disappointed.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

The original System Shock is extremely dated, but System Shock 2 is still superior to any other FPS besides maybe Deus Ex. There hasn't been an FPS in the last ten years or probably ever that is as good as either of them.

Can SS2 run on Windows XP? I downloaded it a while back and I ran into a whole host of problems trying to get it to run.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So, is there a good wiki or list of secret areas/easter eggs anywhere online? I've turned up nothing so far. I know it's completely counter-intuitive to the game, but there are a couple things I'd like to know more about.

Also, seconding the loving Light Saber.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Sure beats the hell out of hearing "How about them dang mudcrabs!" every 30 seconds.

Maybe there's a talking mudcrab somewhere in Deus Ex.

This game has EVERYTHING.

Does anyone's quick saves ever not take sometimes and you end up having to replay through segments of the game? This will happen to me from time to time and it's the only mildly frustrating thing about Deus Ex to me.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

If you use the lazer sight (found in the first level down in the bottom of the bunker thing behind the statue), then you can accurately make headshots with it every time.

Even with the stealth pistol, headshots are lethal 95% of the time. For the other 5%, just pop another round into the guy immediately after he winces after the first shot and he'll go right down.

My stealth pistol has the lazer sight and an extended clip. It's perfect for the Sam Fisher type of player. Hasn't failed me yet. :clint:

What's the advantage of the laser site over a scope? I've always used the scope on the stealth pistol and it's worked wonders for me.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

The laser, while it doesn't let you zoom in, is dead still and makes your weapon always fire with pinpoint accuracy... except with the Shifter mod. The Shifter mod makes the laser wobble around a little bit according to your skill in the weapon.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Casimir Radon posted:

Tom Sawyer - Rush

You are so correct. Also most of the noises in Blade Runner.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah, I'd save Shifter for the second or third time through, it's one of the best PC games ever, you owe it at least one vanilla playthrough.

Yeah, playing it vanilla is kind of necessary. I'm on my second playthrough and using Shifter--I like some of the small nuances it fixes up (stackable knives, other things I can't think of, unique weapons) but some of it I don't care for (skill point deductions, child killing penalties; oh, the child killing penalties).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

J.theYellow posted:

Absolute easiest way to handle the apartment raid is to go into the closet. Not even the one that has to be opened by the keypad; just the hall closet behind the pillar will do. When the MiBs and troopers rush in, Paul will kill them all. Bonus if he rages all the way out into the hallway and downstairs to the lobby, killing everything in sight.

Running past Paul before his dialogue and placing two LAMS on the walls next to the door and ducking behind the couch with the Magnum (Shifter) and watching the MiB explode makes you feel like a JC Denton/Clint Eastwood hybrid.

Not enough things in life do that.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So who else starts to hear the sound that the cameras make when they rotate after they've played too much Deus Ex?

My hearing is augmented.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Le Sean posted:

I'd like to see a mod that places JC in Morrowind.

I want to fight Dagoth Ur (and Vivec) with the GEP Gun.

My Nerevarine is augmented.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Frankosity posted:

stealth pistol has a dramatically larger clip, rate of fire and much lower recoil, but much less base damage and slightly less base accuracy. You can still kill enemies with headshots if you're at Advanced skill with the stealth pistol, so I'd say if you're going for a pistol-centric run and you want to be stealthy it's definitely worth it. If you couldn't care less about keeping quiet just amp up the Pistol, or if you're playing with Shifter keep them until you get your hands on the Magnum, which is even more absurdly powerful.

Getting ridiculously loud and far-away headshots with the Magnum is so satisfying in Shifter. I dumped a couple of clip size mods into it to make it a little formidable whenever I feel like making a fuss.

Seriously, the thing is almost as powerful as the unmodded Sniper Rifle, and fairly accurate too.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

System Shock 1 was loving amazing. Sadly I never picked it up when I had the chance, and I only ever played it at a friend's house :(

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a way to run System Shock 2 in XP? I tried to install it a while back but Windows couldn't read it.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That was revealed in DX. Was there something else in IW?

At what point was that revealed? I can't remember it at the moment.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

If you head-shot WS at Area 51, you get like 500 pts (but make sure to aggravate him first!). "That makes me one ugly son-of-a-bitch".

I just encountered him today at the Ocean Lab. What gives?

Also, I just finished my second playthrough today with the Helios ending and, despite ending on a sweet quote, was under par with the previous ending I encountered. Oh well, time to play through it again.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I'll probably give The Nameless Mod a whack once I get tired of playing through on Unrealistic mode. Speaking of which, should I run Shifter with TNM or does it not even matter?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I can't seem to find the Unrealistic option on Deus Ex. I'm running Shifter v1.8.3. Do I need to update or something?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Wow, I feel dumb. Thanks a bunch.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
On my current unrealistic playthrough I found that floor panel in Alex's computer lab for the first time. I also found at least three new things on Liberty Island. Happy birthday, Deus Ex.

Question: what weapon should I laser sight? I've never used one before; on previous playthroughs I've always scoped the stealth pistol. I was thinking either that or the Magnum (Shifter), but are there other useful ones?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Ugh, the superfreighter was such a chore.

Honestly, that's the only section of Deus Ex that bores the hell out of me. Finding those pressure points is so tedious.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Is there a unique assault rifle in Shifter? I haven't been able to find one.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So do I not even aim with the laser sight? The thing just seems to constantly waver. Does it auto focus? (I haven't gone lethal yet).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I am using Shifter. Ah, that explains the wavering, then. I thought the sight seemed different from Vanilla but I wasn't sure. So a Master skill will pinpoint the sight and reduce wavering?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

His semen is augmented.

Loaded with nanetes.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
"Oh my God JC, A dong!"

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
That Tom guy is just a big, gross clitoris.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Think I'll try and slog through the Nameless mod my next playthrough. I'm just going to do my best to pretend that it's some Neuromancer meta-reality until the lolz disappear.

Anyway, I've never played DX:IW and have no intention to, but have there been any attempts to correct its flaws via mods and such? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has managed to hew out the good parts, sand away the good ones, and make it a little more like Deus Ex.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Deus-Ex has pretty much every conspiracy known to man worked in to the storyline but still no mention of "The Jews" being behind everything which is a common factor in many conspiracy theories.

I would personally find it funny if Deus-Ex 3 had a mission where you infiltrated the secret base of the people who were behind the conspiracy and it turned out to be "The Jews", not just a group whose members are Jewish but every single Jewish person. You would hack their mainframe and a giant star of David as well as information about various conspiracies would appear on the screen and Jensen would be all "My god, it was The Jews all along".
That would probably cause a bit of a shitstorm in the media though due to being horribly anti-semitic.

That would be amusing, if nothing else.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

3 posted:

To this day, I still find it amazing that Morpheus has always just been a one-shot, blink-and-you'll-miss-it optional encounter, and is still probably the coolest NPC you meet in the game.

Holy poo poo. I've never even encountered Morpheus before. Where/when do you do so?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Frankosity posted:

In Morgan Everett's house. There's a secret door (wait, is it secret?) you can access in the lab Alex is in which leads to the room containing Morpheus

Oh wait, I remember Morpheus now. Didn't he want you to free him or kill Everett? I can't recall which.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

If you go master rifles with a tricked out silent rifle, you will pretty much be god with the ability to 1-hit kill any humanoid enemy in the game silently, destroy cameras and turrets, and blast open many weak- to mid-level doors. If you're the exploring type, you should be swimming in ammo by the endgame, too. I know the max is 13 additional magazines because that's what I almost always had. It's basically easy mode.

I invariably do this almost every time I play through Deus Ex. I've tried different approaches but there's something beautiful about the sniper rifle.

Also, seconding the Deus Ex smilie. JC's face.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

You've got five seconds to post before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

I'll watch. And enjoy it, yes.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I found that panel on my most recent playthrough and it blew my loving mind. An in-game explanation for said panel: even more so.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
You know, it's really too bad; I just Wiki'd the storyline for Invisible War and honestly it's pretty badass.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

orange lime posted:

If you find something that doesn't seem related to anything, it might be related to something that was cut (the newspaper articles about the lunar mass driver are a big one).

Do you mind explaining that one a little bit? I'm curious but don't feel like sifting through the DX bible.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
A lot of the cut content sounds like it would have been awesome. drat, the developers were ambitious.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Biomod is shifter : better edition. Everyone should be using that.

Really? The whole passive augs thing seems kind-of game-breaking to me, but that's really all that I know about it. Also, isn't there very little difference between either medium and hard or realistic and hard difficulty? I tried playing through on hard about a month ago and either my Deus Ex skills have waned or it was substantially more difficult than I remember it being.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

404notfound posted:

The laser doesn't seem to help at all though. Half the time when I'm going for a stealthy kill with the stealth pistol and use the laser, I either miss or get a non-headshot, even if I let the sights settle.

Are you using Shifter or Biomod? If I remember correctly, both of them gimp the laser.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

If by "gimp" you mean "fix so that it's actually useful", then yes.

In vanilla, the laser sight has no gameplay effect and points straight ahead regardless of your accuracy.

In Shifter or Biomod, it wobbles all over the place because it's showing you where the shot will actually go. Fire when the dot is over someone's head? Boom, headshot.

Oh, it's the other way around. I haven't played vanilla in so long that I couldn't honestly remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm thinking of doing another playthrough of DX. I've only ever played vanilla, what's different in biomod?

Biomod is really cool, and it improves on a lot of aspects of the game, but if you find it to be too much at first you can always play a run through with Shifter. I played with Shifter before Biomod, and I don't think I would have liked Biomod as much if I would not have done so.