Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

Wasn't there in-game text about vending machines like that in Invisible War?

Specifically it was confirming Gunther's belief that the janitorial staff were, on purpose, putting Lemon-Lime soda in the Orange spot just to gently caress with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Invisible War worth playing? I had always seen that it's bad. I bought HR on PC for $5 a while ago and got IW with it, so worth playing?

IW I'm mixed about. I don't outright hate it especially because you can do some fun rear end in a top hat physics stuff in it, and the general gameplay of navigating and fighting is competent enough, but on PC it loads like rear end (it literally closes and reopens the game on every level transfer). I played and beat the oXbox version.

Gameplay wise there's a bunch of issues. Hacking is a "if your level is high enough you autohack, if not gently caress off" zero-sum proposal. All guns have universal ammo. Lockpicks and Multitools are the same item, stuff like that. There's also some problems with the plot but I won't get into those.

So the question is basically are you willing to endure that for the ability to huck barrels at enemies and ragdoll them all over the place.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Didn't he go in willingly because he foolishly thought Bob Page would actually wake him up when the technology to cure him was available?

That was Morgan Everett, not Page

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Which itself is ironic as I would go out of my way to avoid Simons at both the Sealab and Area 51. He has always been one of the better villains I've seen in a game and killing him seems like it would make the world a more boring place. And we can't have that.

One time when I fought Simons at Area 51 (I skipped fighting him at OceanLab because I thought taking the cheap way out of kicking his rear end underwater wasn't fitting), he was in the process of trying to throw an LAM at me the moment I ended up killing him. For some reason this caused whatever passed for a physics engine in Unreal Engine 1 to decide this meant that he flung the LAM about 100 feet straight into the air as he collapsed to the ground dead. Seconds later the LAM falls back to earth, landing on his body and destroying it.

At this point the game apparently decided that nothing was going to top that and bluescreened my computer.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Gunther is that guy in your office building whose been there since the company was a startup but no longer has any relevant skills in the fast moving world of technology. He's canned right before being able to collect retirement because HR is "curtailing redundancies in the work force".

"I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS!" Gunther shouts right before his killswitch blows his head clean off.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

as others have noted, NSF-as-chuds doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny, the game makes it pretty clear that they're the good guys except for a few bad apples

its just a little joke / reading strategy you can use to get a little more enjoyment out of the game

Yeah like, the HR/MD NSF probably were Chuds but by the time of DX1 they seem to be less focused on "muh guns" and more focused on "so hey maybe the average citizen should have free access to this miracle life-saving vaccine."

It also sorta falls apart when the difference between real militia chuds and NSF is that the real-life militias believe a bunch of absolute horseshit and the NSF believe a bunch of stuff that is actually occurring in their reality.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Deus Ex is a loving massive game. Bringing it to a modern engine would take the same effort its taking square to modernize Final Fantasy VII.

And even with hundreds of employees and millions of dollars it took them 4 years just to show off midgar.

That's because FFVII is not a straight upgrade, it's a full-fledged remake (and episodic so they can get all of the money).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

running the world. a NEW AGE!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The 90s had plenty of domestic terrorism and violence though?

Yeah I was going to say the 90s also had people sending pipe bombs through the mail.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cointelprofessional posted:

I don't mean to downplay 90's domestic terrorism. Some of the worst bombings in the history of the country happened during that time, but many weren't related to conspiracy theories. Many of them were tied to the sovereign citizen movement and a hate of abortion clinics.

Hell, maybe I have a selective memory. But it feels different that 20 years ago you, as JC Denton, were fighting against the forces behind the Trilateral Commission and the Bilderberg Group and the modern equivalent would be a raid on an MJ12 base underneath the Clinton Foundation to get her emails.

The modern equivalent would be the raid on Area 51 to free the aliens that are for sure there while people on the southern border are dying of the flu in DHS Concentration Camps.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Some of you guys are really underestimating how dumb/tribal people are.

"Family in ghetto" is specifically not a thing, there were multiple MD quests where people are forgiving of their relatives and trying to save them from being deported by the police state.

Hating augmented for being augmented was also not at all the same in HR, where it was just the one faction of human purists. Again, I don't think there being an organization of people who are like "hey maybe let's not choose to cut our limbs off and make them robots" is a stretch. Not even including that the organization was some Illuminati astroturf thing anyway. There were also the class conflict parts like that woman in Shanghai who couldn't afford the brain implant the rich kids used to get ahead in their jobs.

There was also the undercurrent of soldiers who were crippled in battle getting thrown back into the poo poo by being augmented, the Recycle Military Bill and all that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Hello, Janice? JC Denton. How are ya sweetheart. Listen can you give Mr. Manderley a message for me? If he needs me tell him I'm IN HIS OFFICE! Thanks."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

jc is the kramer

Despite my having used a George quote earlier, JC is clearly Jerry

"Oh my God, Daddy!"

:c00l: "That's a shame"

EDIT: Joe DaVola is Icarus

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 9, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

george is panicky and resentful

Elaine: Perhaps you just pushed the wrong button

George: I do not make mistakes. I pushed Twix, it gave me a Clark Bar. I think the mechanic is messing with me.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

I see you are committed to keeping that true definition of immersive sim secret.

"What are immersive sims?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You know what would be awesome, would be a guerilla warfare immersive sim, where you really need all the random supplies and intel you can find because you’re going up against an enemy that’s way, way bigger than you.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (now part of ArmA: Cold War Assault) is close to what you're looking for.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I take that bug as canon, like when you get through all the grunts turns out the big bad is just a weenie directing traffic

I also take it as a reward for not falling for the most obvious ploy in games in a while. "Congrats, you didn't fall for this bullshit, now you get to deck this bodyworlds-looking rear end in a top hat rather than waste time on a boss fight that really shouldn't be like this"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I assumed that 12 hours passed when you when to HK and back.

I think Jock says something to the effect of half the killswitch time being eaten up just traveling to Hong Kong.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I thought the funicular (inclinator, actually) was in Montreal :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

Why contain it?

S'cool

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

It's good for getting to that car wreck in the flooded part of Hong Kong :shrug:

Given that some (incredibly stupid) people are now calling COVID-19 an invisible enemy I think we've shot right past all of Deus Ex and gone straight into Invisible War territory in terms of sheer ridiculousness.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wonder what a Deus Ex that was made today would look like. Conspiracy theories just aren’t as fun anymore, I miss when it was all black helicopters and alien coverups by shadowy councils.

The NSF gets replaced by Qanon and the Proud Boys :barf:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

We've already built a globe spanning AI panopticon, it's just dumb as hell and tries to sell you toilet seat covers.

"A 55-GALLON DRUM OF LUBRICANT; YES. YOU FEEL SOMETHING...I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FEELING."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Meh. The Rothschilds *are* Jewish, but saying "the Rothschilds" isn't synonymous with saying "the Jews".

I think the issue is that regardless of this, people have used and will continue to use it to mean "the Jews".

Like Alex Jones for example.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Linguica posted:

Anyways: JC Denton:

* Decided to become a sort of pseudo-Troop and help protect American financial interests

Pretty sure MJ12 had JC's life planned out for him so he didn't really "choose" to join UNATCO

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I know I'm opening up a can of worms here but...

Which ending is best and why is it New Dark Age? "Compassionate conspiracy" gently caress off Everett, you're part of this whole god drat problem. "Benevolent dictator" there's no such thing, sorry Helios. Your voice is cool though.

"If we burn everything down I'm sure wars and oppression will magically stop happening because these things are the fault of The Internet" - Tracer Tong, Dunning-Krueger personified.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah as much beef as I have with IW I think they did a good job smooshing the endings together. JC merges with Helios, which causes the Aquinas router to go critical, which kills Page, allowing the Illuminati to take over once again. :golfclap:

And Chad Dumier decides Capitalism is awesome :downs:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

Jesus Christ, Dornton.

Jesse Dornton and Walter Smythe

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diggus Bickus posted:

Here's a project I'm working on to upscale all the textures in the game using ESRGAN. It's basically done except I don't know how the hell to release it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6Nub1ycxU

Wow that looks really sharp.

DESPERATE

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"I'm more worried about Savage"
"URATCO?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the greatest Ratocracy the world has ever known.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The rat created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

The games are all still fun but I don’t know how many would work on Windows 10

I feel like the bulk of those you can use DOSBox and it'll be fine

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm surprised that didn't fail certification :stare:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

fun fact the lead of PoI is an insane qanon imbecile and the rest of the crew working on the show fuckinng hated him

Jim "Jesus" Caviezel, right?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Punching bots with the EMP melee aug and super strength is funny in Invisible War.

Accidentally drowning someone in their own shower is a good time too.

And of course just throwing boxes at people.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

Deus Ex finally got something wrong, and of course it's about a thing where the reality is even more absurd than the dystopian version

rear end in a top hat rich person with bad hair and a god complex going "why contain it?.... S'cool" was actually on target though :v:

Edit: also that same person usurping control of a different group of rich assholes. Sadly no AI with a conscience to save us.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

LOL if only the Google Facebook Twitter algorithms were able to place Republicans on the terrorist list like Morpheus

That was Daedalus :colbert:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

Wait you're complaining about it? That's probably the most "Deus Ex" thing in those later games.

I dunno I think the most Deus Ex thing was being able to sucker punch Namir and completely skip that bossfight basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

barbecue at the folks posted:

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

BEANS...might be useful