Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just started playing again, and a while ago I guess I installed Shifter, didn't play it, and forgot I had ever done it. That lead to what was probably the most confused Liberty Island playthrough ever. "What? Since when have there been different kinds of soda? Where did these rockets come from? WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PRECIOUS LASER SIGHT!:byodood:"
Oh, and is there anyway to tune down the GUI upscaling? I've been looking and having no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Exactly. It's just like how Call of Duty 4 is the usual dumb Tom Clancy military shlock but (back before it got so popular and everybody had to hate it because BROS and HIPSTERS liked it) everybody was raving about how the scene where you got nuked and died and the gun ship was so moving and emotional; games are an interactive medium, presentation and implementation is more important.

Well, I know for me that scene lost all its impact when MW2 came out and they seriously kill you like three times in that game. Deus Ex managed to present itself so that even when so-and-so betrays such-and-such, and it's the third or fourth betrayal in as many hours, it still felt fresh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can't find it anymore, but wasn't Joe Green in one of the bylines for the mockup newspaper that came with some editions of the game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Furret Basket posted:

Shifter should be standard for playing through DX these days anyway.

But...But... My laser sight! I love my pinpoint accurate 10mm Pistol too much to deal with the fact laser sights don't work right with Shifter.
Or did they change that?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vic posted:

Okay sorry my bad it was another med bot. Still I don't think many people know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OvDz8NqyrI

EDIT: Sorry about the doublepost

:aaaaa:

I never, ever would have thought to look there for anything, even though it's marked. Is this only in a mod, or was it in vanilla?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

stratdax posted:

That isn't what I said at all. Stealth is fine. I used it to avoid combat in a lot of places. But I'm saying that the game basically forced you into combat in some other places. I don't see how you could simply stealth your way through the entire end-game, for instance.

Sometimes you can replace stealth with Adidas-Fu. Hit the speed augs and maybe turn your skin into armor and get the gently caress out of dodge. If you can get to your goal quick enough you can avoid a lot of threats.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Always kill everyone in the 'Ton, then jump out the window.

There are only two viable JC Denton ways to deal with the MIB's outside the front door:
1. LAM that poo poo up

2. Give me the GEP Gun, Paul.

Nope. I know Shifter fixed it, but in Vanilla no matter how many people you kill, Paul dies if you leave through the window.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was talking about it with a friend at work and someone walking by wondered why we were talking about a game called "Day of Sex". Awkward moment right there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is true. Biomod really might as well be a new balance patch for vanilla Deus Ex. It gets rid of a lot of the trap options in the augs and tweaks the skills a bit. The other changes are all pretty minor. It's a must-have even for a first playthrough.

Doesn't it do something weird with the laser sight? I know there's one mod I haven't been able to get into because it messes with my pistol usage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just realized I was thinking of what happens when you put a scope on a pistol that has a laser sight. :downs:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

I have all the PC Gamer magazines from 1999-2007 or so. I need to find the issue where they reviewed Deus Ex

I'm trying to find the CGW one. I think they ended up giving it like three and a half stars or something on the lower side like that.

E:Found it! I was right, three and a half stars. http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_195.pdf

It's on page 109.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 4, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willie Tomg posted:

CGW was a great magazine back in the day and the review for DX freakishly even handed in acknowledging that games like DX point out how stupid stars-out-of-five systems are and we will never see it's like again :(

Yeah, they even went back to a starless review system for a while before it folded. Man, that magazine ruled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you wanted to buy the Power Rig from that issue of CGW to get your DX on with, you would be dropping the equivilent of 8 GRAND in today's money for a smoking hot 933 MHz processor and 256MB of ram. drat, computers have come a long way in 17 years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Alpha Protocol is great for this. It gives you special perks depending on your playstyle. The game recognizes if you kill people, knock out people, or even just sneak by them.

It also had the two best end-of mission stats in games: Orphans created, and medical bills. The amount a kill/takedown added was variable based on region, too- a kill in china will never create more than one orphan.

It also reacted to who you kill. Killing CIA operatives on the level where you infiltrate the listening post blows back on you and whatnot

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hey now, sometimes it's uncompressed video. Metal Gear Rising was terrible about that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Isn't the delay on releasing Xen because it won't be a straight remake, but refusing rd levels more in line with the rest of the game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carpet posted:

Most of the time there wasn't any need to buy anything from anybody. Maybe Smuggler's LAMs if you needed them for the ship.

I mean, that’s the case now, after we’ve all been playing this game for nearly two decades. Going in the first time, I definitely agonized over my spending on mods and ammo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, even Mid Game JC is obscenely powerful. MD kind of threw the system off a bit but HR was great at making mechs physically powerful but lacking the options that he had.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah the fact that one energy bar recharged meant that the obvious min/max solution is to just always use that one bar and no others. I think the Directors Cut did something about this but I havent played it.

Any unfinished energy bar recharged, but the first bar would recharge even when you kicked it. It meant that all your powers basically had a one bar life cycle, because takedowns were so drat powerful and also would usually need to be used sequentially.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This game is a legal adult as of about a week ago. Holy poo poo time flies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Goddamn I feel old.

Right? I remember reading ads for it in CGW before it came out and getting hyped, and now that was 18 goddamn years ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Old men...are the future!

“Electronic old men” basically sums up the SA forums to be honest

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
People keep telling me to git gud when I saw I don’t like Bloodsouls games, but I’d like to see how they do with Liberty Island. Which, you know, had good design.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feelix posted:

The type of person who hears "Dark Souls is hard" and responds with "yeah but Deus Ex, no, not HR or MD, the original" wears a fedora and won't shut the gently caress up about atheism

I just didn’t like Dark Souls and got annoyed by being told it was because I didn’t git gud enough.

There’s tons of people who had a hard time with liberty island, anyway. It was a pretty big change of pace from a lot of other FPS’s when it came out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

You can't skill down Pistol unless you're running one of the mods, though. You'll always start at Skilled, even in you downgraded when creating the character :eng101:

Exactly. Free experience points, motherfucker!

The only better exploit is pausing while lockpicking/multitooling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

Grenade jumping (and climbing) is fantastic too.

I think Deus Ex gave me my love of jankyass games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I don't know where this rear end thing comes from, it's definitely the small of the back.

I gave up on Revision when I came across an NSF soldier sitting on a bench that would not go down to a single prod to the part of his head that was visible from behind. This was on Liberty Island, so about ten minutes after I started playing. If you're not gonna do something about the hitboxes, don't randomly insert terrorists chilling casually on benches, please.

That’s when you use the GEP gun, the most silent takedown.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willie Tomg posted:

revision would have been really good if the modder were a smarter person and realized that everyone wanted DX in a modern renderer and nobody, anywhere, on earth, ever, wanted His Vision of level, item, and gameplay changes

but he isn't. so it isn't.

I don’t get why people never seem to understand the whole “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thing applies to them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, doesn’t it shift away from the injoke humor after the first level? Never gotten around to playing it but it’s on my list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

For every hated mechanic there's always somebody who loves it (except Monkey Kombat obviously). For me it's Alpha Protocol. I just find matching those words in time so drat satisfying, I've literally never bothered to unlock the thing that lets you auto hack.

I think that was hated on PC more than console. The mouse input was read as an analog stick instead of a pointer, which was super counterintuitive.

But put me down as another one that liked the DXHR hacking. It was weirdly zen until the timer started, then it was like “oh poo poo nononono”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'm 20 pages and 2 years back, but throwing a corpse at a wall hard enough to make it explode needs to trigger the "what a shame" line.

:drat: this thread moves slowly.

I tried to play DX on my laptop, but it’s a Dell and not recognizing the adapter, so it’s always in low power mode. Somehow, that slows my laptop enough to make DX basically unplayable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John_A_Tallon posted:

CPU throttling is a thing laptops do in power saver mode. Go into your power settings and change it so that it doesn't throttle the CPU when in battery mode so you can play the game.

Dell has a thing where it does it at a BIOS level if it doesn’t recognize the adapter.

Not that it matters, just went to double check and the screen is busted. Whomp whomp.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Palladium posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who played DX1, got to Hong Kong, found the Dragon Tooth Sword and went from an agent who can't shoot straight to death incarnate.

Have you heard the gospel of the one true savior, a 10mm pistol with a laser sight on it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Do not heed the lies of this false prophet. Prod with the prod and gep with the GEP.

Though the GEP is, was, and forever will be the most silent takedown, it can’t headshot all day everyday like the 10mm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

GMDX made the odd choice of having you shoot pretty straight, but nerfing the hell out of the sword.

Is that the one where they split its damage into five separate hits so you couldn’t bash doors with it anymore?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It's pretty funny how comically overpowered they made the 10mm in HR, probably as a tribute, except that in the original the 10mm was never that good. Who are the people it's really good for killing? Oh, right, the good guys that you join later on. Who are the people it's really bad at killing? The actual antagonists of the game

If you mod it pretty heavily the only thing it really struggles with are the power armored MJ12 dudes. It’s great against MiBs and MJ12 troopers, especially with a master pistol skill and damage mods.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Well, OK, I guess. But this is a game where you can fire from the hip with a sniper rifle. And you have spent your precious skill points on mastery of pistols at the cost of all the actual good skills. A newb's mistake. Save every damned point until you can advance no farther on a given path, so you can explore every nook and cranny of the levels. Combat skills are for suckers until mid-game at least.

This is my objectively correct opinion.

At least It doesn’t involve spending points on swimming, the objectively worst skill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, it's so cheap, you might as well put some points into it to make the water sections less tedious.

The real trap-skill is Medicine. Medkits are common as dirt, and you can get the regenerating health Aug very early on.

Maxed regen is amazing. I remember the first time I got it up to max and just facetanked my way through a giant firefight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I'd love a game that incorporated a reality-based unconsciousness mechanism.

You can use a dart gun, I guess, but it's probabilistic: maybe it'll make them go to sleep, maybe it'll make them effectively drunk while you knock them out. Maybe it'll kill them via sedative overdose. Not reliable for pacifist playthroughs.

As far as choking/punching them out, they're gonna wake up in one minute like in real life, so you have to use precious moments of stealthy action to tie them up and gag them somewhere.

Outside of Invisible Inc., what games do this?

Add in “maybe they’re on bath salts and just won’t go down” and you’ve got my vote.

Like, the tranq darts are annoying as far as the gameplay goes but it’s more realistic than they usually are. Even if you’re dosing someone through an IV it takes a bit for them to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thinking about it, it would be pretty cool if there were ways to dose people with sedatives outside of the darts. Put it in food items, or gas them through the vents then put on a rebreather and sneak past them during nap time, that kind of thing.