Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CJacobs posted:

He is the one character in the whole game that I just cannot tell if he is a bad voice actor or if the way he speaks is on purpose. Some characters in DX are of the "so bad it just works" variety and Bob Page is one of those characters... I think?
Oh, yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've read this entire thread over the course of several months and I'd just like to thank everyone who posted in it. I even learned some new things and I first played it back when it first came out. I was 14 and I just liked the box art. Turned out to be the best gaming experience of my life and I still replay every so often. I loved the level of detail in the little things like the ingame books and newspapers.

Also anyone replaying it now should really install New Vision. It's amazing how much better it looks with high res textures. I didn't think it would matter so much but it really is stunning and gives each level a whole new feeling.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's as finished as it's going to be anyway.

I should mention the updated look also greatly increases the ambiance. When you're in Alex's office for the first time and his little tech tables include moving drone maps of areas and things it gives it much more of a feel of a surveillance office of an International Anti-Terrorist office than its previous spartan appearance.

There's also stuff to look at like a new whiteboard in the conference room with stuff scrawled on it that's also slightly silly such as "What is AMBROSIA!!?" which you'd think wouldn't really be a question being asked in UNATCO HQ.

I should do a video walkthrough of certain areas and what you might see with New Vision and that new model mod, maybe.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Sorry if I missed this, but the Deus Ex HDTP Project has basically been unofficially abandoned, and New Vision is the new hotness, right?
I use both.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Having some trouble getting this to run in 1920x1080 (or any decent 16x9 resolution) I've tried adjusting it to 1600x900 in the game but it either resets to 640x480 or sets the resolution correctly but the screen is off to the right or left by like two inches. Then I tried Deus Exe in the op but that's not helping out either. I've tried running it in admin mode, anyone know what could be wrong?

e- Also tried to use windowed mode but I don't prefer it and the low gamma makes it of unplayable. I can't change the gamma in windowed mode.

Never run across this. I'd reinstall, make sure you've properly installed the updated exe, change rendering to openGL or Direct3D (depending on which you were using. You should be adjusting the resolution in the exe launcher box before you start the game. Failing all that I'd reinstall.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alright so (and I'm not spoiling this cause the game is nearly twelve years old but if someone requests me to I'll edit) I just killed Anna (and funny enough the terrorist guy died in the crossfire) and I'm on the roof on a UNATCO building. I just uploaded a message to a radio dish and now I'm found out for a big 'ol traitor and now I don't know what to do. I fought off the initial assault from the suits but now there is no objective.
Head back to Paul. Just go to the Ton Hotel and he'll still be in the chair in the apartment.

Also i envy you because i wish i could play this bit for the first time again. :allears:

Also try and save Lebedev (the terrorist guy) next time if you're going to kill Anna then. He has some interesting things to say.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alright, I did as you said and after some careful dropping of boxes and uncareful jumps from roofs I snuck past most the guards and made my way to the Ton. After jumping down the stairs I got hit a couple times in a gunfight and had to crawl all the way to the station, gunning people down with my sniper rifle. I made it up to central park when...that fucker came up to me and arrested me. It was a pretty cool moment, inching past some steps desperately hoping to avoid the guards and then seeing Gunther sprinting towards me.

I gotta say some of the voice acting is...flat? It's better than I would have expected for the time but the actor for JC Denton has one tone for just about everything. It's especially weird when they keep talking about how his brothers been killed and he can only muster up a "oh I guess that's interesting" tone.

Nicely done getting to Gunther. I don't think I did my first couple times. Mind keeping us updated? I really love hearing peoples thoughts as they play this game for the first time.

Also, everyone else: I don't think it's nice to point out all the diverging paths and choices he could have made. Part of the fun is finding things out or at least noting them for the future play-through. I just hate playing a game and feeling like I "messed up" because I missed something that someone else says I should have done. I realise I did it myself by telling him to save Lebedev next time, but I don't think it's the same as "you should have saved Paul".

I'm not sure I'm getting across what I'm trying to say here, v :) v, sorry running on very little sleep.

God, I love talking about this game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The first time I encountered Gunther's ambush, it was through an obscure entrance and everyone stood there for a minute before shooting me, unprovoked.
Can you beat Gunther?
Nope. I once even got to Jock and the fucker just sat there doing nothing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a surreal image
Truly a game of Escherian proportions.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was more the "air ducks" thing.
I know, it was the idea of moving through flying air ducks continually folding in on themselves that made me say that.

Hey, remember when Invisible War was going to be a big deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deus-Ex-Inv...=item4cfd4cbcdf

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Morpheus is the most overlooked character. :(

Why no "I have recorded your smile. I was built to love you"?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Execu-speak posted:

I'm going to come right out and say that I think while good Deus Ex is very overrated.
This man must be shamed to discourage others from leaving the fold and the Holy Embrace of Our Father in Augmentation; JC Denton.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's all in the numbers.

Number one? That's terror.

I don't know why this made me laugh so hard but I did. I've played the game so much that if you quote anything I'll read it in the characters voice.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

I don't know if you got this, but strictly that's from Deus Ex: The Recut rather than the game proper.

I saw that ages ago. Must have been my subconscious remembering something I didn't.

As for the soy food I always assumed it was like an inividually packaged veggie burger. Like these delicious things.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Opus125 posted:

I have done it at last. I have completed Deus Ex, a game that was starring at me from my steam pile for years (among my first steam purchases.) I feel like I just finished a great novel or something. I feel accomplished. Anyway, it has got to be the weirdest game I've ever played.
Congrats! Now play it again in a completely different way. :D

Did you talk to Morpheus? That's what I always really want to know.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Breetai posted:

No augs, no skills, no items, nonlethal, and reduce the health of both of your legs to 0% so that you can't jump or move faster than a crawl.

It's been done.:psypop:

Deus Ex: Someone's already done that.

Oh no, I forgot to ask what ending he chose! Now I'll never know. :ohdear:

Astroturf Man posted:

How did they get past Anna Navarre without killing her without a gas grenade?
Glitched through I'd imagine.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

On my last playthrough and listening to Rush, I chose the secret fourth ending, wherein you chose not to decide and begin an eternal staring contest with Bob Page. The world carries on as your perpetual stalemate continues. But JC will ultimately win because his vision is augmented.

My wife wants the laptop back, but Page isn't getting off after a mere six months.

Stay strong brother. Although I believe you're referring to the fifth ending. :colbert:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

For all it's flaws, this is what makes IW a Deus Ex game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAwskZUnds

And that's why Human Revolution isn't a TRUE Deus Ex :colbert:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

John Luebke posted:

I'm currently doing another playthrough and I always wondered, is there actually a way to avoid the MJ12 raid on the Lucky Money Club? Something to make sure they don't follow you after getting the dragon's tooth.

Don't think so, pretty sure its a scripted story event. You can just let the guards handle them though if you don't have a combat build.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Deus Ex: You Can Always Plant LAMs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Daionus the 23rd posted:

I'm replaying this game with Biomod. In the Shifter readme, there was something about "unrealistic mode". How do I access that?
Right click on Realistic. :)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

It is sort of surprising how many events the UNATCO soldiers comment to me about. "I'm sure the warehouse situation prevented you from helping out with the firefight in front of the hotel", I guess running around trying to stun guys before they got shot isn't as helpful as I thought!
This is what made me play this game for almost the entire school year when I got it. I just kept replaying to find out what people would say and do each time.

I'm also one of those people who talk to every person multiple times so as not to miss a line of dialogue from anyone. I really appreciated all the little hidden rewards for playing slowly and carefully.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

Finished the game, 'What a game' indeed. :suspense:

It's funny, I installed this on a whim last week, figuring I'd breeze through it, then play Human Revolution. Now I kind of just want to play this again and take a different approach to everything.

Hells yeah. Do this.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Gyshall posted:

HDTP Beta was released today.

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11566

btw morpheus owns bones
Wow. I thought it was dead years ago! :dance:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It sounds fun but... no skills? I'd have to put at least one pip into Computers. I love hitting Alt+H to hack because Deus Ex lets you do that, and your strict rules would rob me of that experience. At least I could still use the numpad for punching in keycodes.
Ten years and I just find out now. :negative:

I loved the hacking bits as a teenager. Actually typing in credentials and using the numpad for keypads made the whole thing feel incredibly immersive for the time. Hell, even today.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Rosoboronexport posted:

Game world pauses while you're using computers (or hacking them) so it's not a problem.

I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I know I've activated turrets against enemies and watched them get mowed down through the security camera screen, and I think I remember being killed by the bot while logged into the computer in front of the statue when I ran to hack it without taking the bot out first.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

I'm surprised Alex doesn't trip some sort of "knows too much, axe this guy" alarm when he says that he's gonna try to find out some info about the troops down there.
Why would he? Alex is pretty clearly a decent guy who tries to be morally right if possible.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh gotcha, I misunderstood.

I guess you should either assume Alex is good enough to hide his tracks, or that he's not searching on public communications networks when he says that. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geight posted:

I piled on basically every weapon augment the game would allow onto my sniper rifle, it's a shame that while scoped-in it seems like only your skill reduces the sway, not accuracy upgrades.
I actually find that logical. You can have the best equipment in the world but it doesn't mean much if you're not very good at using it. Although, didn't the laser sight give you perfect accuracy in vanilla? I never played a sniper build, but I think it did for the pistol at least.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

From my very first playthrough I always ditched the regular pistol in favour of the stealth. Its slightly less powerful but a headshots a headshot. A silent headshot.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Some gang-banger. Maybe you should think about going back to school.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Can anyone mirror version 1 of Biomod? The moddb link is broken, Desura doesn't have it, and the last version I have saved is Beta 8.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20656505

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I did mention that that one was broken (it's the same link as on moddb).

Not to be a dick about it, but its not though. Either your browser or computer is.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Really? My apologies then. I didn't know there was ever a newer release than that, was there another site for Biomod other than the moddb site?

Edit: Wait, are you sure? The Readme calls it BioMod 1.0. The older files are labeled BioMod beta in the readme and the filename is generally biomodb*version* while mine is just named biomod1 with no beta indication.

Edit2: Yeahhh, I'm pretty sure my link is indeed the final release.

========================================
Changelog
========================================
===
-Updated Shifter version to 1.8.4
-Fixed bug preventing the correct animation from playing when changing ammo
-Fixed certain flags not being set correctly in autosaves
-Fixed buttons in elevators being dragged out of place
-Removed accuracy reset when toggling scope
-Made the amount of health restored by regen depend on its level again
-Fixed the ordering of the difficulty levels for challenges as it was based on a misconception
-Reduced forward momentum when mantling
-Removed Shifter's skill system
-Removed multiplayer from the main menu as it's not supported
-Restored auto-equipping of multitools (apparently it was lost sometime between beta 1 and now)
-Added no skills challenge
-Added console command to toggle unscoped crosshairs
-Hid some WP grenades in the levels
-Removed NPC's using fire extinguishers because it was really hacky

===
-Added white phosphorus (incendiary) grenades
-Added grenades to Shifter's NPC random inventory
-Using a computer no longer makes you invisible
-Changed swimming to athleticism
-Made the demolition skill affect the amount of grenades the player can carry
-Changed medicine skill so it affects biocells
-Removed targeting reticles when using a scoped weapon unzoomed
-Made it so the player's accuracy resets when scoping/unscoping
-Added an energy cost for detonating the spy drone
-Fixed crossbows counting as guns for the "No Guns" challenge
-Prevented the player from firing tracking darts when they have less energy than it takes to fire them
-Changed the tracking darts to hitscan rather than using an actual dart, which should prevent oddities like robots going crazy and killing you when you target them
-Changed the GEP lockon timer formula to make it take longer at low skill levels
-Reduced the amount of energy that augpower saves to make up for the fact that it's free
-Removed sparks and ricochet sounds from breakable decorations
-Made it so passive and automatic augs are automatically reactivated after turning off synthetic heart
-Anna now fears death
-Found a much better balance for the mantling controls. It's now responsive and functional, but tapping jump won't send you scampering over the nearest crate
-Added a different sound effect for mantling

===
-Added challenge system
-Disabled experimental new damage system that I had accidentally left on (oops!)
-Added the ability to toggle buttons and switches by shooting them
-Aggressive defense no longer tracks/detonates planted mines
-Restored aggressive defense's warning sound
-Prevented mantling over a few things that you shouldn't be able to
-Restored "hum" sound for active augmentations
-Reverted the Heartlung aug to synthetic heart
-Aqualung now restores energy rather than draining it

===
-Greatly improved the way unconscious NPCs are handled
-Added some fire propagation between NPCs
-Gave NPCs the ability to use fire extinguishers
-Added pain sounds that were previously only used by the player to NPCs
-Enabled mantling on non level objects such as crates
-Prevented the player from reloading their weapon when they shouldn't be able to

===
-Added bullet impacts for decorations
-Restored "Armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets
-Prevented pickpocketing of NPCs who can talk to you
-Fixed a bug in the original game that prevented you from being blinded by grenades you didn't own

===
-Improved the mantling system. It should feel a lot more natural now
-Removed JC's constipated grunt when jumping. It's not the 90s anymore, you know?
-NPCs can now be stun-locked
-Increased the amount of time between pain sounds and added some randomness, to cut down on the OOF OOF OOF OOF factor

===
-Added mantling system
-Made the spy drone set off datalink convos, which should address most of the situations where you could use it to break the game's scripts
-Allowed the spy drone to trigger lightswitches
-Restored the crossbow's previously unused firing sound
-Improved the way the pickpocketing system determines whether an NPC is aware of you
-Gave a certain someone the key to the front door of the building she works in (HINT HINT)
-Halved the durability of ballistic armor
-Fixed jump volume not being reduced by run silent
-Restored "ricochet" sounds
-Added poisoned throwing knives

===
-First public release (that anyone cares about)

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 2, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

^^^ Okay, I took what you said by missing there to mean you also couldn't access it, since the link you provided does have 1.0 as well.

I'm still quite confused why only I seem to be able to access the Gamefront link.

Anyway, if the Readme from the other link is 3/12/2011 then you've got it!

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 2, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I think this thread could be improved if everyone had to modify a quote from the game to say anything.

When good posters fail us, we really do live in a world of terror.

You could probably use any of Pauls lines to respond to this. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The secret room is accessed by pushing a brick on the bottom of the last wall on the right in the last room of the training area iirc.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

How do you guys feel about Human Revolution? Is it any good?

Better than IW but I missed there being loads of great secrets that made the levels worth exploring such as Morpheus. There were some but nothing as good as the original.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The world would be a better place if more games taught kids that if you want to be good at something you need to work at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hang on, cigarettes have an actual use besides making JC look cool in front of kids?