Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, there's a lot to slog through just to get to moments where you kill people by throwing bodies at them or send sassy children across the room with one punch. But it's satisfying enough to make up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Derek Dominoe posted:

Maybe I'm blind, but what is the significance of that video in this thread?

I think Shumagorath's just being ornery about the low content video posts, and decided to respond with the gayest grappling clip ever made in order to express his frustration.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

synertia posted:

I know there's been tons of talk about the Wan Chai, Hong Kong music in this thread but gadzooks. Give this a listen.

Thanks for posting this, I had kind of forgotten why this track was so popular in this thread. It really is a pretty sweet song to ring in your new status as a renegade agent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Replayed this again last month, got to the part in Area 51 where Bob Page encourages you to jump into that massive turbine. I died laughing, then desperately wished there was more of this side of him in the game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Blasting mobs with the PEPS after hoarding ammo was also worthwhile

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
No, prod. Prod with the prod.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you look at the skyline of NYC from Liberty Island, you'll notice there is no world trade center. This was actually due to memory limitation s but when asked in an interview about it, the DX developers just said "terrorist attack". This was, of course, in 2000.

What's even spookier is that you're the 911th poster to mention that

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sleeve bearings are not on shirts

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The GEP is not too big, you're just using it wrong. Quit trying to put it in your mouth.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Linguica posted:

If you ever have more than, say, 10 GEP rockets, it's a sign you're not using enough.

Also don't forget the alt-ammo white phosphorus rockets, which is a great way to clear a room / break multiple treaties.

The white phosphorous is probably my favorite way to say "gently caress everything" after inadvertently breaking stealth before reloading.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There aren’t many good things to be said for invisible war, but it is the finest rag doll/body disposal simulator ever made.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
JC Denton just soaked with NSF blood and Anna still busting his balls

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What a shame

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Willie Tomg posted:

The first game was made by texans and the new games were made by french-canadians, and if we're talking hellish visions of a late capitalist society in decay Quebec is to Texas what a kiddy slide is to pounding a fifth of scotch and going cliff diving

Central Texas, post Ruby Ridge no less.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do the Jensen games ever have you cross paths with a young Howard Strong?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What a shame.

(Also thanks for the update and link.)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
OMM’s playthrough is also great.

quote:

The first thing you'll see is a soldier sitting at a desk. Introduce yourself. He'll tell you that you're a robot. But he's crazy. Or is he? Don't let this information rattle you, because your goal in this section of the game is clear: Show everyone in the base your flag. You'll find a flag in the lobby. Pick it up and tell the guard something like "oh, so that's where I left my flag." Nine times out of ten, he'll buy that story, and you can march right into HQ carrying your new flag.

It's your first day on the job, and it's imperative that you show everyone in the office that even though you may or not be a robot, you're 100% regular guy, a real Joe Dystopian Future Three-Pack.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just started Mankind Divided for the first time and I am dying laughing at paid DLC for Praxis and starting credits.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there a particularly good way to explore Prague to avoid getting burned out on it?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Neurosis posted:

Sewer quest was one of the better ideas. The 'aug lives matter' thing was lazy projection of modern politics onto the future where it didn't really make sense. Sewer quest looked at some of the stranger stories you might see coming out of plausible near future tech. Wasn't super well executed but it was okay.

Yeah, basically putting some segregation trappings and imagery on top of the aug lives matter stuff is pretty disappointing.

The original Deus Ex’s politics still feel timely because late stage capitalism being horrible is an evergreen concept.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The_Doctor posted:

With the news these days, all I can hear is Eliza’s “It’s not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.” :smith:

Honestly, immigration would have made a much better parallel. I just got to Golem City and the family separations, forced detentions/deportations could have served as echoes of the immigration crisis of the last few years.

It’s disappointing that climate change was touched on in the first game but doesn’t seem to be all that important to the setting. It’s done a good job of making society seem more fragile and close to collapse than human revolution.

In HR the setting felt more optimistic and stable and not that gritty. The anti-aug riots of the first game felt more shoehorned than organic.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I don’t mind it being a Deus Ex game so much as setting it in the same continuity as the first game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
God, that physics engine.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did they ever attempt an in-universe explanation for why everything looks different in Deus Ex vs the prequels? Or did they just not bring it up? Maybe a fashion magazine talking about the newest trends or something?

No, but I didn’t find that aspect of the game’s design too jarring. Deus Ex’s design philosophy was “five minutes before the collapse of civilization,” so the prequels depicting a Renaissance that slides inexorably into a grittier version of the 80s and 90s feels less out of place.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Mankind Divided is a very excellent iteration of the gameplay.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

haldolium posted:

Nice. I Hope that means we will get a less rear end in a top hat main character. I rather sacrifice all the the stunning art for better characters, animations and a proper story.

what a shame

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I like the part where he claims Far Cry to be a successful Montréal based IP.

The most fun and praiseworthy game in that franchise was developed by Crytek. Everything since then just keeps descending into cynical misanthropy and self-loathing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Montréal and the last quarter of HR were really rough around the edges. I would have been happier to have HR end on a cliffhanger and have a gotten a part 2 of similar length and quality with something a little more interesting the Aug Zombies.

It reminded me of how Mass Effect 3, really suffered from a similar drop in quality.

I know that episodic games will fail forever as a model, but it would be nice to see a AAA game be split into two parts than have a mediocre or worse ending glued onto an otherwise good game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Finished Mankind Divided, and wow did Eidos/square Enix drop the ball on not having a follow-up game in the pipeline.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m surprised they continued with the Lazarus radio format of HR.

A) Alex Jones is not a good guy and it sucks to have to listen to the dime store version of him as the only alternative media to Eliza Cassan.

B) Do they really expect me to just hang out by a radio to hear an audio clip with no discernible beginning or end? Retrievable audio logs have been in games since Sysyem Shock 2. Who thought this was a better implementation?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’d say Golem ends at about 60% of the way, if you’re doing as many side quests as possible. A little more than that if you’re not.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I agree-I think they put so much effort into fleshing out Prague as a hub that quests feel minimal as a result.

sebmojo posted:

The sense of looming horror it gave me of a tightening pogrom was really effective.

That is definitely where this game excels. I wish they could have made the conspiracy intrigue a little more gripping.

All the stuff between the Juggernaut Collective and the Illuminati is really interesting, as are some of the gameplay moments where you have to choose who to trust and assist. But it never quite feels tense.

By way of example, take the last conversations with staff on the way out of UNATCO. You see people who are truly conflicted on their roles and the right thing to do. You can even convince some its time to flee. Not only can Jensen trust no one at TF29, he doesn’t try to flip any personnel to his side either.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What a shame.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Remote hack level 1 is for interacting with objects you can’t normally. It allows access to ladders and ledges (and in one case, a vault) you may not otherwise use.

Level 2 is extremely useful for giving a 30 second window to get past cameras and bots.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Look Sir Droids posted:

I guess I’ll get that then. I just haven’t needed any of those things to solve a problem.

I bet this game is so simple to no aug.

Something I’ve noticed is no matter how much I upgrade my max battery, it won’t recharge all the way. So I can only head punch clothesline one person before I have to sit and wait. Biocells push it back to max but those are one use consumables.

The vertical white line represents your max recharge point at any given moment. Certain abilities reduce that max, while others just deplete the charge. None of the augs increase the minimum charge you can hold, which really sucks.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got remote hacking and yeah that’s a nice to have.

I just hit Prague for the third time. I can’t believe I’ve gotten this far without a boss fight. Does the mission structure change depending on your choice to go after the bomber or rob the bank for corporate secrets?

The mission structure doesn’t change, but it absolutely limits your ending choices. If you can’t guarantee you’ll play the game a second time you should read some spoilers and decide what route you want to go.

Mankind Divided made an interesting design decision about choice and consequence when it came to the Vega v. Miller dilemma. It’s internally consistent but too bad there’s no upside to giving Miller the intel.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sometimes I wonder how Bob Page actually got Lucius DeBeers into that freezer. I bet he shoved him really hard into it and cackled.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Whoops, I meant Morgan Everett.

Nail Rat posted:

Didn't he go in willingly because he foolishly thought Bob Page would actually wake him up when the technology to cure him was available?

Yeah, but what are the odds that an Illuminatus would let an opportunity to shove him go to waste. It would totally be under the guise of helping Lucius into the ice box.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Desperate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Big Bizness posted:

Is there a way to eliminate Jensen from either of his two games as much as possible? Or maybe turn off just his VA and leave everyone else's on? His forced edgy guy voice drives me up a wall (and vicariously makes my throat hurt), and knowing that he's a wish fulfillment self insertion of the art director guy is just the icing on the cake.

I did a playthrough of HR when it came out and I enjoyed it but Adam is a big step down from the Pimp God that is JC Denton.

I didn't see anything on the Nexus but I figured it was worth asking here.

That was done as a joke, unlike the guy who hosed with the prince of Persia franchise