Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can someone refresh me Jet's "death"?

Long Feng killed him with a serious Earthbending blow. He says he'll be fine, but Toph says he's lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The plot of the Promise is that as part of the peace settlement, the Fire Nation has to remove all Fire-people from occupied territory, which is very problematic since it's been over a hundred years since the war began and a lot of the people slated for removal have been there for their entire lives. Maybe even born to parents who lived there for their entire lives.

So you end up with Zuko not wanting to forcibly remove his people, while the Avatar is obligated to maintain the separation of the races, and the solution ends up being inventing multiculturalism, which becomes the city where Legend of Korra takes place.

It was a little ambiguous, but probably only because it's a children's show so having him die onscreen would be a bit much.

Or maybe because the writers love pandering to shippers too much, so they might've been leaving room for doubt for fanficcers.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Quote is not edit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
"Did Jet just die?"
"You know it was a little unclear."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

King Kuei owned, there should be a comic that was just his adventures traveling around the Earth Kingdom with Boscoe.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

King Kuei owned, there should be a comic that was just his adventures traveling around the Earth Kingdom with Boscoe.

A re-tread of earlier book two adventures with Zuko and Iroh; just have Kuei suffer living off the land like Zuko did and Boscoe, instead of offering helpful advice, just shits everywhere and fails to be a hunter of the wild.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The scene where Bosco is introduced and everyone is confused about the concept of a regular bear is still in my opinion one of the funniest moments in the show

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

The scene where Bosco is introduced and everyone is confused about the concept of a regular bear is still in my opinion one of the funniest moments in the show

:same:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

were people really confused whether jett died or not? i mean initially, sure. but by the end of the series? thought it was pretty clear by then.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

He was nice to the trans character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can imagine Aang specifically being the one to realise that the nations and cultures being so separate is part of the problem, especially since he's seen things like Ba Sing Se's extreme isolationism, the Northern Water Tribe's only somewhat less extreme isolationism, and the Fire Nation's proto-fascist bent, while it took him having friends and allies from all across the world to end Ozai's reign of terror.

Now I might watch it again.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

my blu-rays were supposed to show up on thursday but best buy is really messing up the delivery for some reason. so i couldn't wait any longer and decided to check out the netflix episodes, and man, whoever mentioned earlier that the video quality was awful wasn't kidding. it's pretty goddamned bad, i'm sad to confirm. compression artifacts and aliiasing up the wazoo. now i know people will say that it's an SD show from 2005, but here's the thing: i've seen a bunch of SD shows on netflix, much older than Avatar even, and they do not look THIS bad. i mean, i'm almost fascinated by how bad this looks. even on my tiny laptop monitor, it still looks like an eyesore. hopefully the BDs are better :smith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

:filez: wins again, get owned payformediailures

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

my blu-rays were supposed to show up on thursday but best buy is really messing up the delivery for some reason. so i couldn't wait any longer and decided to check out the netflix episodes, and man, whoever mentioned earlier that the video quality was awful wasn't kidding. it's pretty goddamned bad, i'm sad to confirm. compression artifacts and aliiasing up the wazoo. now i know people will say that it's an SD show from 2005, but here's the thing: i've seen a bunch of SD shows on netflix, much older than Avatar even, and they do not look THIS bad. i mean, i'm almost fascinated by how bad this looks. even on my tiny laptop monitor, it still looks like an eyesore. hopefully the BDs are better :smith:

It's probably the good old DVD versions they used and the first handful of episodes look extra crusty. I think the picture quality improves somewhat by season two, but it's still suboptimal. I was pretty severely disappointed when I got my boxset back in the day and found out the picture quality was probably miles worse than you get with :filez: versions.

Also for compatibility reasons I bought the European version even though the American version was also available on Amazon UK and discovered they basically cut out nearly all of the cool extras, thanks a bunch Viacom! Really love that you did that! I also later discovered the old DVD player in my closet was actually region-free so it could've played the region 1 discs just fine too so I got like, double pissed off

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tactless Ogre posted:

Promise: No. Ideas are there, but it falls flat. Can you believe in the idea of the Earth Kingdom wanting some degree of revenge for the poo poo the Fire Nation pulled? Yes. Would you believe it if King Kuei (yes, THAT Kuei) was the one leading the revolution ? No, you don't. Some fans hated Katara and Aang's depiction of a relationship; but compared to watching Zuko grovel to his father for help and advice on ruling the nation, that was small potatoes. Yes, I'm furious that Gene thought Zuko would ever ask , much less, grovel to his father for anything. Context be damned, that was like selling me the idea of a jar of piss being a plot point.

Jesus Christ, I must have scrubbed that event off my mind for being so loving stupid. :psyduck: Doesn't Zuko ask Iroh for advice in the end, or something? Because it makes him begging Ozai for help even more pointless than it already was.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuJ1xMVqY0I

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I feelc like Netflix removing the top 10 list right when one of their own new releases gets beat by a 15 yr kids cartoon can't be a coincidence.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JT Smiley posted:

I feelc like Netflix removing the top 10 list right when one of their own new releases gets beat by a 15 yr kids cartoon can't be a coincidence.

I mean... ATLA is a tough act to follow. Even the show’s own creators couldn’t manage it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I mean... ATLA is a tough act to follow. Even the show’s own creators couldn’t manage it.

Speaking of which, is The Dragon Prince any good?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is The Dragon Prince any good?

It picks up in the second season, but it wasn’t until the third that I was feeling the ATLA magic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's kind of one of those questions of "how much of the quality comes from which people?" Because Brian and Mike went straight from Last Airbender to Korra, but a whole lot of the production staff didn't go along, and instead went off to other projects that had their own independent success like Dragon Prince, Clone Wars, and Star Vs.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

One of the latest episodes of Victor and Valentino Has a scene where one of characters is locked in a closet with dead children.

Edit: the episode is called “kindred spirits”.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 24, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Apropos of nothing I just wanted to say I love Dr K from Power Rangers RPM - she's the best zordon-type character IMO.

Spoilers for a late-game RPM reveal, but a cool and funny moment for her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrAbWT6Opc

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I've been rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender for obvious reasons since I last saw it on Nickelodeon probably 10+ years ago, but there's a question I have. I didn't see any specific thread and went back the last month or so and didn't see anything so apologies if this is a worn-out issue.

Now, I never watched Korra, although I'm familiar with a few things in it, and I and the friends I asked before had never read the comics, but my curiosity is this:

Aang is the titular Last Airbender, because the Fire Nation wiped out the Air Temples 100 years prior. However, because 99%+ of the people in the temples we see were men and monks/initiates who possibly took vows of celibacy, they all had to come from somewhere (I'm in season 3 and did see Aang witnessing... not his own birth but somewhere near that with Avatar Roku? but his parents were nowhere to be seen), otherwise they'd face a Shaker problem except the problem would be even worse because you'd have to be born a Shaker to join. I am aware there were some female airbender Avatars, but my brain is trying to rationalize it as there were probably villages scattered around the temples (that could have been wiped out too) where they recruited airbenders, sort of how the Jedis in Star Wars just took kids who had potential, and without teachers no one left would be able to fully realize their potential although other people with potential airbending would exist.

Is this something ever actually explained in the Avatar canon or just brushed aside or ignored entirely?

amigolupus posted:

Also there was one comic where Mai and Zuko broke up, and it's just... Why? They were good together, so what purpose did breaking them up even serve?

Oooh ooh! While I was clicking around wondering about my question I think I read something about how Mai got tired of Zuko keeping secrets from her even though her entire personality and character was just going along with other people and bored because she had no control over her life.

Stellar character consistency there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The air nomads have no vow of celibacy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

thelaughingman posted:

One of the latest episodes of Victor and Valentino Has a scene where one of characters is locked in a closet with dead children.

Edit: the episode is called “kindred spirits”.

Is it Victor?

Because he should be dead.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Argue posted:

The air nomads have no vow of celibacy.

I figured they might not since Aang had no qualms with relationships (but I wasn't sure) so is it most likely just early development oversight in failing to add more background women?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We don't see much of Air Nomad culture- perhaps deliberately to emphasise just how much was lost and how Aang's references to it are opaque because he's the last living remnant of his entire people.

They were of course nomads, and Aang is familiar with all four temples at only twelve(ish?) years of age; I think him and the monks were more of a particular class of young Airbenders being trained, who may or may not choose to stay on with the life on reaching adulthood. Also especially consider Benders are basically martial artists.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Also I think it's said somewhere that the temples Aang visited on-screen in the past where the male temples. The other two were female temples.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Ah, those work for me. I think most of it is just my adolescent brain going "this is awesome and really really good" clashing with my pedantic adult brain 12 years later going "this pretty good but wait did I miss something" and figuring writers of this caliber had to put something somewhere.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

McTimmy posted:

Also I think it's said somewhere that the temples Aang visited on-screen in the past where the male temples. The other two were female temples.
The air nomads were a stupid culture. They were basically that worlds elves. Distancing themselves from everything, acting like they were above it all and touting their spirituality, while actually being completely enamoured and restricted by their thousand year old traditions. In retrospect, I dislike that they were represented as if they were always completely peaceful, innocent and in the right.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The air nomads were a stupid culture. They were basically that worlds elves. Distancing themselves from everything, acting like they were above it all and touting their spirituality, while actually being completely enamoured and restricted by their thousand year old traditions. In retrospect, I dislike that they were represented as if they were always completely peaceful, innocent and in the right.

korra has a (movie) anarchist who chokes a queen to death with airbending. that's neither peaceful nor innocent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

They're basically based off of an idealized version of the Tibetan monks.

If there was an interesting story to be had, maybe before they became fully devoted to asceticism and the support of it, there might've been Airbenders who wanted to expand and conquer like some of the other nations in the series and the whole lot of the more aggressive and expansionist types got quashed such that the remainder was all pacifists and ascetics and their supporters and clearly the expansionists got what they deserved.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

T-man posted:

korra has a (movie) anarchist who chokes a queen to death with airbending. that's neither peaceful nor innocent.

I know that. But that guy can't really be considered an air nomad. He grew up in totally different circumstances. Although, he did get some fancy lessons from the way those nomads lived.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was the implication that the Air Nomads were in some way...nomadic. Like big chunks of their population would be on the move going from place to place, even though they maintained permanent mountain temples for training and keeping stuff. That's also how Aang managed to have this globetrotting life seeing so much of the world and meeting so many people at the age of 12.

Of course, that doesn't really jive with the depiction of the airbenders just being wiped out by storming their temples or how the crux of Aang's tantrum when he ran away being just the fact that he was being sent to another temple. There's a lot of weird holes in the worldbuilding, like how it turned out the the "Earth Kingdom" is actually a series of disconnected cities and territories that only share an elemental affiliation. Like it's enough worldbuilding to keep the show working, but if you want to expand on the show to tell more stories on either a larger or a smaller scale, you need to bring a lot of new worldbuilding with you, because there's not enough foundations support much more.

One of the games features little towns around the air temples that would be the non-bender air nomads, but that never got picked up by the shows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some of the extra material goes into how the Fire Nation went on a much longer campaign of extermination of the Air Nomads looking for the Avatar, the comet was just the first strike that wiped out the major population centres.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Monk Gyatso took like 50 Fire Nation soldiers with him, so there was some self-defense training beyond just dodging.

SlothfulCobra posted:

like how it turned out the the "Earth Kingdom" is actually a series of disconnected cities and territories that only share an elemental affiliation.
It's the Holy Roman Empire with a Qing coat of paint.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

BioEnchanted posted:

Apropos of nothing I just wanted to say I love Dr K from Power Rangers RPM - she's the best zordon-type character IMO.

Spoilers for a late-game RPM reveal, but a cool and funny moment for her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrAbWT6Opc

RPM is so much better than it has any right to be, especially considering the source material. How they took a goofy show about talking Pixar vehicles and turned it into a post apocalyptic Mad Max/Terminator show for kids I'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think something I appreciated with her was her contrast to Gem and Gemma who were initially annoying until you found out why they behaved as they do - they were hosed up by Alphabet Soup too but they reacted differently - while Dr K skipped her childhood development and basically became a tiny adult, Gem and Gemma got stuck in a permanent childhood and never progressed mentally beyond 6 years old. Until the episode where Gemma starts hanging out with the Blue Ranger and they grow closer, and as they do so Gemma grows further apart from Gem, to the extent that she stops finishing his sentences as she finally starts developing as a person due to having decent role models/healthy influences.