Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay two things:

1. holy poo poo, the animation looks like it's improved quite a bit from the first few episode
2. the music kicks rear end. it totally sounds like something you'd expect from konami circa the 90s (or some other japanese game developer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh btw, has anyone seen hbomerman's newest video on R.W.B.Y?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE

i haven't watched the full video yet, but full disclosure, i've only seen season 6 (or volume 6 or book 6 or whatever the hell they call it), so i can't really make too much of an accurate assessment. however, from what i've seen, it absolutely gives me the impression of a show that a bunch of anime fans decided to get together to make, who didn't have the talent in anything beyond fighting animation. the kind of people that liked the surface level appeal of anime but completely overlooked the substance of why people like anime.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

okay two things:

1. holy poo poo, the animation looks like it's improved quite a bit from the first few episode
2. the music kicks rear end. it totally sounds like something you'd expect from konami circa the 90s (or some other japanese game developer).

The music is from another place, the My Hero Academia anime music to be specific.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

i haven't watched the full video yet, but full disclosure, i've only seen season 6 (or volume 6 or book 6 or whatever the hell they call it), so i can't really make too much of an accurate assessment. however, from what i've seen, it absolutely gives me the impression of a show that a bunch of anime fans decided to get together to make, who didn't have the talent in anything beyond fighting animation. the kind of people that liked the surface level appeal of anime but completely overlooked the substance of why people like anime.

I watched part of the first episode of RWBY, and then I stopped. I have no idea what the draw is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

The music is from another place, the My Hero Academia anime music to be specific.

ah that explains it. it had a very distinct japanese action music type feel to it.

Madurai posted:

I watched part of the first episode of RWBY, and then I stopped. I have no idea what the draw is.

the art, story, and most of the animation is pretty amateur, but the fighting choreography is legit awesome and the one area there's actual competency in. that's all i can think of though.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Here's the full clip of the Rise of the TMNT finale Shredder fight! Obviously spoilers but hey, if you like what you see and want to find out how they got here, it's a great time to watch the series.
https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1292178767008477187?s=20

and what the heck, let's throw in the train fight too since it's a pretty nice contrast where they're fighting with just weapons, no powers.
https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1229128814745157632?s=20
it goes on for more than this but I don't think the entire thing is uploaded anywhere since long clips tend to get copyright striked.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mr Interweb posted:

Granted, he adds a disclosure early on that he’s only covering the first three seasons.

But yeah, I watched it, and honestly... largely agreed with a lot of his own takes even back when the series was coming out. Like, if you’re going to get any entertainment out of it, you basically have to learn to roll with the super corny elements of it.

Monty was definitely a master at creating and choreographing fight scenes, but not so much at actually creating a coherent narrative to string them all together. And the guys he chose to help him with that... really didn’t rise up to the task, at least not with any particular consistency.

Basically, RWBY’s like if you took all of the ingredients for a kickass cake, threw them all together, and just... presented it as-is, with a thick coating of frosting to cover it up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really like the music (series) and fight choreography (of the first 2 seasons), but RWBY did take a huge blow with Monty’s death. You can really see how the following seasons are done by people trying to ape his style but not quite nailing the technical mastery he had.

I also like the characters’ potentials, even though they are really let down at times by poor writing and lame backstory reveals. Season 4 was my favorite because it split everyone up and made them reflect on their failings and how to push past that.

So yeah, the show is disappointing, but it’s still a guilty pleasure of mine (haven’t seen the most recent season though).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
RWBY seems like basically serial-numbers-filed-off anime fanfiction in animated form, in the most sincere and passionate way. I think it's drat impressive for an independent project.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1292913701431971842

Disney TVA's official account actually tweeted about the whole Owl House thing. Gotta say, enchanted dance partners is definitely a bold new euphemism for this company.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This is heartwarming and all, but I'd really like to get back to Eda's story.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ruflux posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1292913701431971842

Disney TVA's official account actually tweeted about the whole Owl House thing. Gotta say, enchanted dance partners is definitely a bold new euphemism for this company.

Willow? Amity and I have been talking, and, well, we're cousins now.

(A cynical take I've heard is that Disney deliberately made the most explicitly gay part of the episode one easily removed or edited shot of Amity's note.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Madurai posted:

This is heartwarming and all, but I'd really like to get back to Eda's story.

I mentioned before but I think they're probably doing the Gravity Falls thing of saving the charmingly seedy adult's story for later since it presumably contains crucial plot elements.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I really like the music (series) and fight choreography (of the first 2 seasons), but RWBY did take a huge blow with Monty’s death. You can really see how the following seasons are done by people trying to ape his style but not quite nailing the technical mastery he had.

I also like the characters’ potentials, even though they are really let down at times by poor writing and lame backstory reveals. Season 4 was my favorite because it split everyone up and made them reflect on their failings and how to push past that.

So yeah, the show is disappointing, but it’s still a guilty pleasure of mine (haven’t seen the most recent season though).

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, he adds a disclosure early on that he’s only covering the first three seasons.

But yeah, I watched it, and honestly... largely agreed with a lot of his own takes even back when the series was coming out. Like, if you’re going to get any entertainment out of it, you basically have to learn to roll with the super corny elements of it.

Monty was definitely a master at creating and choreographing fight scenes, but not so much at actually creating a coherent narrative to string them all together. And the guys he chose to help him with that... really didn’t rise up to the task, at least not with any particular consistency.

Basically, RWBY’s like if you took all of the ingredients for a kickass cake, threw them all together, and just... presented it as-is, with a thick coating of frosting to cover it up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

RWBY seems like basically serial-numbers-filed-off anime fanfiction in animated form, in the most sincere and passionate way. I think it's drat impressive for an independent project.

all these seem pretty accurate assessments.

R.W.B.Y. seems ripe to be made fun of, but it's also clear that it's a labor of love.

on the other hand, there's a guy whose name sounds like 'crow' but is spelled with a Q :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDy5EcgDELh/

Bryan and Mike have left the ATLA Netflix show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDy5EcgDELh/

Bryan and Mike have left the ATLA Netflix show.

So is the project basically dead now or is it still going to continue without them (which doesn’t bode well in my opinion but maybe they’ll surprise us)?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

So is the project basically dead now or is it still going to continue without them (which doesn’t bode well in my opinion but maybe they’ll surprise us)?
it's going to continue without them and mike basically says that their creative vision wasn't and won't be honored

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDy5Fp4H7Fw/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Woah, that definitely sours a lot of anticipation anyone would have for the show. Reminds me when Showtime was (apparently) going to go ahead with Twin Peaks s3 without David Lynch and the cast whipped up fan support for him, except... I guess it’s already over in this case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

it's going to continue without them and mike basically says that their creative vision wasn't and won't be honored

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDy5Fp4H7Fw/

Well, given the last attempt to adapt the series into live action that doesn’t exactly inspire me with confidence. Maybe it’ll still turn out better than the movie regardless but I’m not exactly holding my breath at this point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just let them make a new loving series, netflix. we don't need to remake every loving thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I've rarely seen such a publicly strong 'we're leaving because they're just loving it up hard' statement from generally professional acting writers on TV. Normally it's a vague hint of creative differences and then 'personal reasons' or 'want to do something new'. Netflix must be doing something horrible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can't wait to find out what The Algorithm produces, personally

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm surprised, but also not that surprised. Really this whole idea was dumb as hell anyway and I do not see them somehow solving the casting issues they will have or the budget issues that are readily apparent to anyone with a brain (unless Netflix is committing to making a show with a budget that eclipses GoT's or something) so it's probably for the best they're not involved. Though I gotta laugh at the whole spiel about this being how they always envisioned the show in the initial PR now that it turns out that this wasn't how they always envisioned the show after all.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 12, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly, a new post-Korra Avatar series set in modern day (or at least in the equivalent of like the 50’s-70’s) could be interesting and probably a better idea than just trying to remake the original again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Honestly, a new post-Korra Avatar series set in modern day (or at least in the equivalent of like the 50’s-70’s) could be interesting and probably a better idea than just trying to remake the original again.

I am interested to see what a Fire Nation Avatar would be like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

I am interested to see what a Fire Nation Avatar would be like.

Well if they’re following the normal cycle I believe the next Avatar after Korra would be an Earthbender, but they could always skip a generation or two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, if they really wanted to do a live action, you could do a live action sequel to the cartoons set two avatars on from Korra with a world that's reached contemporary modern day tech, and just film the setting city in LA.

That sounded terrible just writing it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Well if they’re following the normal cycle I believe the next Avatar after Korra would be an Earthbender, but they could always skip a generation or two.

Wait... wasn't Kiyoshi the avatar before Aang? It's been a while since I've seen the whole series...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want a dystopian cyberpunk future avatar

EDIT: ^roku was the avatar before aang, kiyoshi was before roku

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Madurai posted:

Wait... wasn't Kiyoshi the avatar before Aang? It's been a while since I've seen the whole series...

Roku was between Kyoshi and Aang

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t know, I always liked the idea of an Avatar set at a time that’s contemporaneous, or even slightly futuristic if Korra had a long run of it.

...Okay, and maybe I want to see her successor be a metalhead. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never had a bad cartoon series. The 86 show, the 03 show, the '12 dhow, and the '18 show were all good.

I just realized that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alternate idea: A prequel series starring Kyoshi (likely based on the novels), or maybe even a show about the second Avatar after Wan where we see how all the standard traditions got started.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2020

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Kyoshi novels are good!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

Early concept for Avatar had Aang being from a past high-tech civilisation that's since fallen and his staff was an energy zapper and momo was a robot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

EDIT: ^roku was the avatar before aang, kiyoshi was before roku

Had an idea in this vein, would be set about 200 years after Korra's time, the protagonist and current Avatar is the fifth* since Korra and is an Earth Bender who only was discovered to be the Avatar about a year or two before the show starts(his immediate predecessor died as an infant without being discovered at all, so everyone spent the last 20 years or so looking for a Water Bender), and well the world is basically a complete shithole at this point, so this Avatar has a ridiculously uphill battle if they want to achieve anything meaningful

*yes five Avatars in a 200 year period is a lot, basically Korra gets assassinated a couple years after the end of the show, and as for the four that are between her and the new one, well her immediate successor makes it to their 60's before dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke due to stress and poor diet, the next one makes it into their mid 80's but spends just under 60 of those in a coma, the next one dies in their early 30's fighting a war, and as mentioned the one immediately prior to the current Avatar died as an infant

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is this when I link my Avatar Fate Core hack with the over developed setting guide with future settings and what if scenarios?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d9ldvcV1SvXvW0XB4TsBus9JKxRa7WqCP6UMxEpOMfs/edit?usp=drivesdk

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I always liked the idea of a more futuristic Avatar series where the title itself has kind of lost all meaning and there isn't really any sort of organization around it anymore. But I feel like straight contemporary would just be stupid and feel off after the deliberate technological divergence from our world shown in ATLA and LoK, and cyberpunk is a bit cliched for a story like this, so it'd have to be more original than that. Maybe a retrofuturistic twinge but less Blade Runner/cyberpunk, just kind of vaguely futuristic. Maybe not even properly dystopian.

Another idea I always kind of liked that's been floating around was that the next Avatar in line would be from a sandbender tribe. They haven't really explored the sandbenders much at all so there's plenty of room to work with there and I do think it has potential as an idea. Of course now that Bryan and Mike are entirely uninvolved with the series once again and Viacom probably has their heads in their asses, it's probably okay to once again bury the vague hope that maybe some day they'll make another animated series set in the universe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can't wait to find out what The Algorithm produces, personally

Not only is everyone white now, there are cameos from popular YouTubers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It was always gonna take a miracle for a live-action ATLA remake to be good, and I'm glad it fell apart now rather than later.