Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like a lot about Amphibia, but it's also really relaxing. The general aesthetics of a lot of rounded shapes and soft, desaturated colors with an emphasis on blues and greens is just really pleasant, along with the acoustic music, where every episode ends with some soft and calm end credits.

But also in the plot structure in general usually makes sure to have a good amount of falling action to decompress the tension of the episode. The first season finale is a great example of that, because after the climax of Anne fighting Sasha, you have a slower moment with slower music to redirect the feelings of that scene, and then another scene after that where Anne and the Plantars decompress and talk about what just happened. Even in the normal episodes, there's usually a few moments after the resolution of the episode to show people being okay and getting along after the day's adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey if didn't know Disney put the Darkwing Duck Ducktales special on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dw44RV4-tY

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy mutant apocalypse day, fellow Kipo fans! :toot:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1321142247128289286?s=21

Oh my God there are so many racists losing their poo poo in the comments, lmao.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

readingatwork posted:

If you're the kind of person who loses their mind because a cartoon told you, an alleged adult, to maybe try not being a racist and see how that works out, you may, just maybe... be a racist. And a really loving lovely human being in general, I dunno.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Does this really bother them than the five years of gay space rocks who solve problems through friendship+boy who cries and it’s ok?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does this really bother them than the five years of gay space rocks who solve problems through friendship+boy who cries and it’s ok?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i have tumblr fanworks depicting steven universe as black bloc antifa and i will mail them to fox news unless cartoon network sends me money

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Reminder: this is a world in which someone drew Steven Universe Perfect.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you can't just post my favorite comic of all time like that without any warning, man

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I don't really see them, I just see a whole lot of people anticipating there being racists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like the VHS look to make it look like a GI Joe PSA.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I will never know if this ironic or completely unironic. I never wish to know or else the magic is lost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MLP FiM's fanbase is mostly unironic anime fans (and Sonic fans) who brought all of their worst habits with them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I will never know if this ironic or completely unironic. I never wish to know or else the magic is lost.

:same:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For those that wish to know: It's completely unironic. That specific comic is from a webcomic a guy made while going to school to get a law degree. So there's lots of other comics depicting both his love of children's cartoons and his belief in conservative principles. He's a lawyer now, I guess.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The WB revivals keep on coming.

https://twitter.com/WBLooneyTunes/status/1321498562937630722?s=20

More info here: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/tiny-toon-adventures-reboot-genndy-tartakovsky-unicorns-warriors-eternal-hbo-max-1234817737/

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 28, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, I do like that art style a bit more than the way the new Animaniacs look. Of course, we'd have to see it in motion to really tell.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Well, I do like that art style a bit more than the way the new Animaniacs look. Of course, we'd have to see it in motion to really tell.

I do like the new Warner’s look, but they’ve also been sticking as close to the original designs as possible

I’m willing to bet because Tiny Toons doesn’t have that much prestige to worry about, they’re allowed to embellish a bit more in the redesigns

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

MLP FiM's fanbase is mostly unironic anime fans (and Sonic fans) who brought all of their worst habits with them.

If you were to survey the self proclaimed bronies in 2013 versus now I would bet at least 1/4 are alt right or alt right adjacent. There's nothing quite like how socially maladjusted young white males will just fall into fascist ideology effortlessly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like Buster's new jacket and I hope the entire cast gets fall wear.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cartoons123 posted:

I do like the new Warner’s look, but they’ve also been sticking as close to the original designs as possible

I’m willing to bet because Tiny Toons doesn’t have that much prestige to worry about, they’re allowed to embellish a bit more in the redesigns

Curious if they’ll be able to get Charlie Adler back as Buster or go with the replacement they used near the end of the original show’s life (he did come back as the Bigheads in the Rocko movie so it’s possible). Tress should be no problem though I’m not sure about the rest of the cast.

Plucky and Hampton will definitely need to be replaced at least as their original actors are no longer with us.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 28, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess if they got Steven Spielberg to give the okay on bringing back one of the cartoons he was involved in, might as well get the other two. I would've expected them to maybe wait and see how Animaniacs is received first though. I wonder if any of this is the result of AT&T buying Time Warner and executives being shifted around, or maybe looking for an easy money source to make their purchase worth it.

I feel like they'd have to do a lot more figuring out with Tiny Toons, because so much of Tiny Toons was sort of at the end point of a lot of stylistic evolution of Looney Tunes getting more abstract and self-referential. A lot of the joke of Acme Looniversity is directly referencing a stereotype of cartoons that hasn't really existed for a while, and visually, whenever I look back at the Tiny Toons character designs, I'm struck by how they've gotten very far away from looking anything like a real-world rabbits or like humans, they've gone in very hard on the perpendicular elongated ovals for faces. Like if you look at that evolution of Bugs Bunny picture:

The Tiny Toons are a further extrapolation of the stylistic exaggeration of Bugs in the 90s (that you'll see the more recent revivals of Looney Tunes stepped away from because it looked kinda weird). I think it looks even more exaggerated from the way that they squash down the rest of the body so that their cheek-oval is wider than the rest of their body, and with the bunnies, their cheeks are almost as wide as their torso is tall. It looks especially weird side-on.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

A new Genndy Tartakovsky series is coming out on HBOmax.

Edit: I wonder when we can expect more Freakazoid.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 28, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bobulus posted:

For those that wish to know: It's completely unironic. That specific comic is from a webcomic a guy made while going to school to get a law degree. So there's lots of other comics depicting both his love of children's cartoons and his belief in conservative principles. He's a lawyer now, I guess.

it's been Ever So Many Years, but IIRC he ended up flaming out before graduating or otherwise hosed up his career

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

thelaughingman posted:

A new Genndy Tartakovsky series is coming out on HBOmax.

Edit: I wonder when we can expect more Freakazoid.

Phoebe and her Unicorn adaptation looking weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This looks very different from what I usually expect from Genndy Tartakovsky, but I dig it. Look at all dem curves and thick lines.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The eyes kinda give me Bryan Lee O'Malley vibes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Bee posted:

The eyes kinda give me Bryan Lee O'Malley vibes.

I had to look up the name, but I concur. They give me a bit of a Scott Pilgrim vibe.
That black haired girl has weird body proportions. It looks like she was just a small girl with a cartoonishly large head. But then her legs just keep going way past her dress. She can't even touch her knees. Maybe she's on stilts?
The more I think about it the weirder it looks. It's like Tartakovsky came in at the last minute and demanded her to be taller, while the artist didn't want to redraw anything.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 29, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Well that looks like an artistic drawing and not an actual frame, the real product almost certainly won't have those lovely calligraphy-style line strokes, that's not practical for animation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who devoured Tiny Toons back in the day... I don't feel like it was good enough to warrant a revival (and/or the nostalgia people have for it).

That said if they keep to the original premise and they're being taught by the original Looney Tunes somebody should make a crack about Bugs' ugly rear end new/old yellow gloves.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they should change acmeuniveristy to a proper university instead of what was the middle school in the original.

and have all the "kids" be college grads that graduated into a market that doesnt want their flavor of cartoonmanship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

they should change acmeuniveristy to a proper university instead of what was the middle school in the original.

and have all the "kids" be college grads that graduated into a market that doesnt want their flavor of cartoonmanship.

It's also established in-universe that toons who are forgotten about by the audience slowly grow older and die, so it would be kind of funny if they played to that premise and they came back and everyone is in their 30s or 40s for the first minute of the show because it's been like 20 years since anyone has actually given a solid gently caress about Tiny Toons :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So it basically follows the same rules as the Fables graphic novel series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pentyne posted:

If you were to survey the self proclaimed bronies in 2013 versus now I would bet at least 1/4 are alt right or alt right adjacent. There's nothing quite like how socially maladjusted young white males will just fall into fascist ideology effortlessly.

Doesn't help that it coincided right with the nazis' biggest recruitment drive and before the resurgent left offered any real alternative for them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh thank GOD

https://twitter.com/iamcreesummer/status/1321596930938449921?s=21

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

She'll get her own show, or three.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I feel kinda bad for Cree Summer but even ignoring that the animal abuse angle won't fly now, that character was annoying as poo poo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Elmyra was a weird character, like she was written like a six year old most of the time yet apparently according some official character profiles she's supposed to be 13 like most of the other main characters who were in the 12 to 14 age range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have no idea where all the apparent Elmyra fans come from, outside of nostalgia poisoning and pedophilia.