Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TV Zombie posted:

Was watching a Steven Universe fusion video and they had some fusions that made me curious about whether some of these fusions actually happened in the cartoon or whether they are fan made art. Like is the Legendary Carbon an actual fusion? If not, it's amazing how much work the fans put into thinking about the possible fusions.

You can probably look it up pretty easily. In that case, I can safely say, no, you were watching fanfiction.

And you're missing out, a big deal with the fusions in SU is the presentation- every single once not only has a unique design but their own context, musical theme (generally a fusion of the themes of the characters making it up- and yes, EVERY character has their own musical theme) and is often voice acted by a singer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

yea, saw some clips of Garnet and Pearl's fusion along with Amethyst and Steven's fusion and Obsidian, which is a fusion of all four. I originally started all this because some of the songs I heard from the show sounded really nice which lead to a vid of fanmade(now I know) and real fusions.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

And that one bit where Shao Khan revived (as in created a body around the bones of) Shang Tsun largely just to bitch slap him and tell him (in TV 7 terms) that he'd under no uncertain cercunstances send him stright back to Hell if he hosed up again.

yeah that one was one of my favorites. shang tsung also had the line "no one can fathom the damnation i'm been through" which i'm still surprised to this day they were able to get away with :monocle:

Larryb posted:

I’m not entirely sure why they thought it was a good idea to turn the game that literally invented the ESRB rating system into a kid’s cartoon (then again, they also did a Rambo cartoon at one point) but from the handful of episodes I watched I at least remember the show taking itself somewhat seriously and sticking to the lore from the games for the most part.

there's a surprising amount of shows like that. savage dragon, robocop, and probably the craziest example, toxic crusaders :psyduck:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
CN make a Reanimator animated series, tia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOnNlSlcqI

That sounds like Pinky himself, Rob Paulson, as the voice of Hicks. Too bad there was never a cartoon to go with it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Literally the first I'm hearing about this show that's premiering in less than a month.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1367958149844631553?s=20

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Larryb posted:

I’m not entirely sure why they thought it was a good idea to turn the game that literally invented the ESRB rating system into a kid’s cartoon (then again, they also did a Rambo cartoon at one point) but from the handful of episodes I watched I at least remember the show taking itself somewhat seriously and sticking to the lore from the games for the most part.

Out of curiosity, how did they handle Scorpion? Because his motivation is basically "my entire clan was massacred and I want revenge" and I'm not sure how you make that kid friendly.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Out of curiosity, how did they handle Scorpion? Because his motivation is basically "my entire clan was massacred and I want revenge" and I'm not sure how you make that kid friendly.

I don't remember if he said this sort of thing exactly but you could get away with, "You caused the death of my entire family, and I won't rest until yours is destroyed too!" As long as they don't say, "Murder," "Death," and, "Genocide" you've still got a bunch of descriptors that you can work with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PicklePants posted:

I don't remember if he said this sort of thing exactly but you could get away with, "You caused the death of my entire family, and I won't rest until yours is destroyed too!" As long as they don't say, "Murder," "Death," and, "Genocide" you've still got a bunch of descriptors that you can work with.

Yeah, even the trashy cartoons knew they could get away with plenty as long as they leave the vaguest plausible deniability for little kid brains (or rather, the censors) and more recent shows are basically 'You can say it or show it, just not both at once'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The new Amphibia episodes are great. Giving a giant monster subtitles was a fun move.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

scorpion? or sub-zero? cause that was how they portrayed sub-zero in the series. scorpion was just some generic bad guy demon. MK actually didn't shy away from using 'death', and 'kill' and the like. but i don't think anyone actually got killed (raiden would send people to the 'realm of no return', which i never realized was a euphemism for death until now :lol:).

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 7, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ed Boon's spent 30 years trying, with limited success, to convince everyone that the skeleton guy who breathed fire was the good guy and the human dude that had rad ice powers was the baddie, to the point where by like the second game he had to go "OK, FINE, there's a good Sub-Zero, OK?!". In fact, there's a theory the bland protagonist guy in the new movie is actually gonna turn out to be the good Sub-Zero.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while obviously they cut out all the gore I seem to remember the cartoon actually sticking pretty close to the games in some aspects.

Speaking of, does that cartoon actually hold up that well nowadays (and did it get something akin to an ending or was it just cancelled)?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, does that cartoon actually hold up that well nowadays (and did it get something akin to an ending or was it just cancelled)?

eh...not exactly. i still watch it from time to time cause of nostalgia, some decent plots, a couple of moments of really cheesy dialogue with great voice acting, and a surprisingly impressive soundtrack. but the show has pretty mediocre animation, unremarkable fight scenes, and is noticeably toned down (unsurprisingly) from the source material.

as i've said, i feel like there was a lot of potential there if the show got a higher budget, but as it is, i don't think most people will be impressed.

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012
Okay it has to have been mentioned before, but, 'City of Ghosts' on Netflix is actually really adorable and despite knowing sweet gently caress all about L.A., I still find it a really cute blend of kinda sweet stories with local vibes. It's semi-serious-silly and I sorta dig the 'CG Fisher-Price Figure + real backgrounds' art style. Anway, it's short, 6 ep, 18min each, easy snackin'.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjLexwj4eQ

Give it some love.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Tig n' Seek has a second season out and continues to be charming as hell and underappreciated. Definitely worth checking out for the A+ cat owner humor alone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Infinity Train Book 4 is out April 15

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

readingatwork posted:

Tig n' Seek has a second season out and continues to be charming as hell and underappreciated. Definitely worth checking out for the A+ cat owner humor alone.

Apparently it's only on HBO Max, which seems like a great way to be underappreciated, at least by me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently it's only on HBO Max, which seems like a great way to be underappreciated, at least by me.

You are 100% correct. The show definitely deserves to be on more platforms.

Mokinokaro posted:

Infinity Train Book 4 is out April 15

:woop:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The trailer for Infinity Train's season 4 is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eiKWvQxZ8

Owen Dennis, on Twitter as @OweeeeenDennis posted:

#InfinityTrain Book Four: Duet

Our new leads are:
Min-Gi Park, played by @JohnnyYoung115
Ryan Akagi, played by Sekai Murashige
Kez, played by Minty Lewis

All 10 episodes release April 15 on @hbomax

This is the final season of Infinity Train.

While this wasn't the intended final season of #infinitytrain, it is a self contained story, and will add to the history and lore of the show like each season before it has. Everyone worked super hard on it, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Each season of Infinity Train has been a very different experience and tone than the one that came before it. We went into this one with the intent of trying a slightly different direction with the show, and I think it will come as a pleasant surprise to most fans.

Production stopped last December. Maybe someday we'll be able to make more, I don't know, but for the foreseeable future, this is going to be the last season and I hope you all have a good time watching it. Continue to support it however you can!

In the meantime, our crew has moved on to other projects, and so have I. Follow them on their social media! Continue to check out their personal work! They're all just genuinely good people. If you're a showrunner, DM me, and I can give you a full rec on any of them.

I’m so thankful to the crew of Infinity Train for helping make it what it became and to the fans for their incredible support over the years. While Book Four is the end of the line, I’ll always be grateful and never forget that this series has meant so much to so many people.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 11, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

galenanorth posted:

The trailer for Infinity Train's season 4 is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eiKWvQxZ8

The non-train scenes look kind of 70s/80s, both the muted palette and the look of the clothes. It would be interesting to see what the train was like before Amelia messed it up, or at around the time she arrived, depending on when her story was set, which could be anywhere between the late 70s and the early 90s.

The uniforms the main characters are in and the magnetic boots as standard things for passengers are new in terms of what we've seen before. Simon's boots could have been scavenged or from the cat's collection.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh. They gives and they takes.

Cool that we're getting Season 4, but if this doesn't tie up the Amelia and Hazel plot from last season then I'm going to be super annoyed. The whole reason I was hoping for s4 was to resolve that dangling plot.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh. They gives and they takes.

Cool that we're getting Season 4, but if this doesn't tie up the Amelia and Hazel plot from last season then I'm going to be super annoyed. The whole reason I was hoping for s4 was to resolve that dangling plot.

I believe it doesn't, unfortunately. From what I read from the creators on Twitter, it's a stand alone story.

Fun thing. The lead characters are also dressed the same as Amelia was. So, maybe from the same time frame? It could be during her rise to power as the conductor?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I think the production cycle for the show was that each ordered season was one "book," so they did 1 and 2 at the same time and then 3 and 4 were done together. Probably NDAs prevented them from talking about exactly what was happening when they were talking about the show being cancelled or people moving on last December, but really this season was already made at that time and the network was declining to order another two-book season that would have been 5 and 6.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Every season of Infinity Train has had a gimmick about the Number. Season 1 was figuring out how it was intented to work. Season 2 was creating numbers where they didn't exist before. Season 3 was unlearning all the misinformation about it.

Going to make a guess for Season 4: Since these two start with the same number and arrive at the same time, there's going to be something broken, like every time one of their numbers goes down, the other goes up by an equal amount. So there's no way for both of them to get off the train by following the rules. They'll have to get creative.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm excited for it and April 15 feels really soon the way that time is flying these days

I'm going to guess one of them is drifting from the dream of being a musician, but is maintaining the band and went on the train trip before the Infinity Train trip only in order to maintain the friendship, or in some other way codependency is the problem. Then the number stays stuck at 202 because they're in denial. Ryan has a mischievous look as he's running in the first train, so maybe there's something going on with that like hiding it from parents and missing school.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 12, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A stand-alone story is neat but I did like the earlier way the show had each season with a new protagonist that was featured in the prior season. It was a format that I feel like I've never really seen another show do before or since.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm guessing it's a codependency thing.

I wonder if they'll even leave the train. Maybe they stay, with the intention to have them featured as side characters in a (now nonexistent) future season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If this is set in the past, what are the odds either that Amelia appears as a new passenger and the main characters unknowingly set her on the path of taking over the train, or they are responsible for making the mirror cops somehow—maybe by failing the mirror car challenge?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If this is set in the past, what are the odds either that Amelia appears as a new passenger and the main characters unknowingly set her on the path of taking over the train, or they are responsible for making the mirror cops somehow—maybe by failing the mirror car challenge?
Yeah, I saw in a youtube comment for the trailer someone posted a theory that the guys could end up either becoming the mirror cops (or maybe their reflections become them). Cool idea and tragic if that’s what ends up happening.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Craig McCracken's been very active on twitter lately, answering peoples' questions about his career, his works, and the animation industry in general, if that's something that interests you.

https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I did NOT realize that Elliot of Earth is by the Gumball team. I am now actually pretty excited for it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm rather annoyed that the channel that's airing Craig of the Creek in the UK decided to apparently stop airing it, so I can't watch the episodes on their website any more. It's especially weird given they decided to stop in the middle of a season for no apparent reason.

I was really enjoying it.

Edit: Also I'm hoping that Anne gets to break out her Muay Thai skills later in this season of Amphibia.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 15, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like about Amphibia is that at this point it isn't a fish out of water story anymore after a while - Anne, Sasha and Marcy have fully become part of their respective communities, after starting as an outsider, prisoner and pretender respectively. When they inevitably get their ways home there may be a bittersweet note to it as they will be missed. Whichever world whichever one of them picks, the other will have a hole left in it that will need at least a readjustment to fill.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PicklePants posted:

I believe it doesn't, unfortunately. From what I read from the creators on Twitter, it's a stand alone story.

Fun thing. The lead characters are also dressed the same as Amelia was. So, maybe from the same time frame? It could be during her rise to power as the conductor?

They've got the magboots that Simon wore, too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if it's a movie or a show but Arlo the Aligator boy is coming out soon and looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGdOI-ORxM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

From what I heard it's both, with the movie setting up the show.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

If Red Sonja where a puppet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqnchXtr6no

torn grimoire
Mar 21, 2021

something is clearly WRONG
howdy y'all, don't particularly wanna wade through 500+ pages to see if i'm alone here, but.. owl house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

torn grimoire posted:

howdy y'all, don't particularly wanna wade through 500+ pages to see if i'm alone here, but.. owl house?

owl house.