Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A clip of the new Tiny Toons show has apparently leaked, it’s…not great:

https://twitter.com/Cartoon_NF/status/1559408308372443137

Babs at least sounds a bit like Tress but I’m not sure what they were thinking with that Buster voice

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

Babs at least sounds a bit like Tress but I’m not sure what they were thinking with that Buster voice
Oof, that was definitely ugly and cheap looking.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Considering this probably leaked via someone on 4Chan and just the way it’s presented, this reads more like a quick pitch to the execs rather than fully representative of the show itself (probably)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will say Babs seems about as spot on as you can get without actually hiring Tress MacNeille back though so that’s something at least

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Where the gently caress do their arms go from 0:38-0:44.

What the gently caress did I just watch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they're supposed to be older and going off to college, it'd make sense for Buster's voice to have dropped instead of trying to replicated the old voice, which is kinda weird for TV these days.

They did not try either though.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Buster looks wrong without gloves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

icantfindaname posted:

Which series is this in reference to?

It was a movie where I felt they were written gay: Scooby Doo: Moon Monster Madness.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

Wow

I hate this

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's almost like bringing back old shows in order to capitalize on 90s nostalgia might be... bad?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

personally i prefer it when they capitalize on 'aughts nostalgia

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

looks terrible on every level but what really puzzles me is that they got all the original VAs for animaniacs, but not with this new TT for some reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

looks terrible on every level but what really puzzles me is that they got all the original VAs for animaniacs, but not with this new TT for some reason

Well Plucky and Hampton’s VA’s are dead and from what I hear Charlie Adler (Buster) left late in TTA due to sour grapes over not being cast in Animaniacs and Tress being paid more than him (Tress also had that whole incident where a crazy fan started stalking her), other than that no clue.

As I said, the new Babs sounds close enough at least but I do hope that’s just a test animation and not the final voice they’re going with for Buster

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 17, 2022

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Just to put it straight cause I think people are maybe reading a bit too much into a very rough clip cause I’m in the World Animation Discord (as a lurker, cause my opinions and their opinions generally Don’t Vibe) I have some info:

It’s most likely test footage of an early version of the show, made on a deadline, hence the very rough and inconsistent animation (cause why put all that stress and work in on a thing only a few people are meant to see, that’s probably also why there’s reused backgrounds from the Animaniacs reboot)

Someone who works at the studio saw footage of the show and animation wise, it looks much better than that test footage, but they also only heard scratch audio so they don’t know what the actual voices sound like

And for the Buster voice, apparently the person who did the voice, Ben Giroux, just came out and said it was him, and considering there’s been no official announcement for a Buster voice yet, he’s probably not voicing him in the actual show

This entire thing reads like (again), someone on 4Chan brute forcing their way into some animator’s portfolio site to get the footage, and now it’s probably causing headaches for them.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

cartoons123 posted:

It’s most likely test footage of an early version of the show, made on a deadline, hence the very rough and inconsistent animation
That's what it seems like, but even if the product was immaculate, I'm wondering who is this for?

I grew up with this show but I don't have any desire to watch these bunny children, and my kids have tons of other stuff they could watch.

though I haven't watched or engaged with the Animaniacs revival at all, maybe that's working for somebody

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
loving awful news!

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560051429066153984?t=m2lTJ0UycP3QK8_NhvEpPg&s=19

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I will never understand streaming services cycling off content they own in full, it makes no loving sense at all

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"when should we announce that we're getting rid of shows this week?"

"Wednesday, definitely Wednesday"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

I will never understand streaming services cycling off content they own in full, it makes no loving sense at all

The new CEO of Warner Media is being rightly mocked as a wanker for a reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess there’s not going to be Infinity Train comics or season 3 dvds.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

though I haven't watched or engaged with the Animaniacs revival at all, maybe that's working for somebody

I videotaped every episode of Animaniacs so I could watch them whenever I wanted, and I still haven’t watched the reboot. It sounds so horrid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it was already sort of a foregone conclusion for a while but I guess this is likely the final nail in the Infinity Train coffin then

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
not my Little Ellen

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

(She works on Summer Camp Island)

Gonna be real I don't think western animation is gonna be the smart career choice in 2022 and forward.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Gonna be real I don't think western animationart is gonna be the smart career choice in 2022 and forward.

Fixed that for you. These issues are affecting the entire art field and the outlook is really bleak. Here's a good book on the topic that I've been reading:

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250125514/thedeathoftheartist

Of course, this is just a more advanced form of a rot that's infecting literally everything. This poo poo is coming for all of us eventually.

Related: Here's a guy who works on Big City Greens talking about how much it sucks to try and make a show right now:

https://twitter.com/charliepgavin/status/1559729615177863168?s=20&t=wrs49LWENWE7zBtVR8-0vw

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Gonna be real I don't think western animation is gonna be the smart career choice in 2022 and forward.

It's incredibly disheartening to think that things felt like they were trending in such a positive direction the past few years, only for everything to start crashing down suddenly and violently. What new shows are on the horizon that people who enjoy western animation can even look forward to at this point?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's incredibly disheartening to think that things felt like they were trending in such a positive direction the past few years, only for everything to start crashing down suddenly and violently. What new shows are on the horizon that people who enjoy western animation can even look forward to at this point?
for cartoon network, genndy has a new show called Unicorn: Warriors Eternal that will be debuting later this year I believe. disney only has two new shows for 2022-2023, hamster & gretel and hailey's got it, neither of which will fill the void of the owl house as they are not serial series (one is by the Phineas & Ferb co-creator). nickelodeon doesn't have an airdate for any new animated series at the moment.

netflix will continue to develop shows through outsourcing, but seem to be focused primarily on video game adaptations like tomb raider, castlevania, terminator, etc

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 18, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was looking forward to this, but it’s probably dead now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADHf3kPnjA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Between this, Netflix gutting its (in house) animation department, and Disney deciding to gradually do away with more story driven shows it’s not looking good at the very least.

Come to think of it, aside from continuations of already existing shows is there anything particularly notable on the horizon TV/streaming animation wise that hasn’t already been shitcanned out of curiosity?

That new Superman show slated for next year looks like it might be interesting based on the one screenshot we have of it but that’s about all I can think of at the moment

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I AM GRANDO posted:

I was looking forward to this, but it’s probably dead now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADHf3kPnjA

drat that looks great (and really expensive), so yeah, you’re probably right. :smith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Western animation will likely enter a small dark age as corporations don't care about animation. The fact it got very progressive probably also pissed off all these chud CEOs who find mealy mouth ways to cancel them. It won't last forever but it's going to suck while it lasts. And captialism and mergers are the reason for it all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's darkly hilarious that animation basically kept the entertainment industry afloat during the pandemic, and the second things start to resemble the beginning of a return to normalcy*, basically every animated project in existence is taken out back and rewarded with a bullet through the back of the skull as payment for services rendered.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I suspect a large part of the trend away from animation by these companies has to do with how little animators currently get paid. It's basically reaching a point where you simply can't make a living in the arts* which will inevitably result in a lot of people getting out of the industry and those who remain unionizing and demanding better pay. The CEOs are likely looking at this and deciding it's cheaper to just cut ties rather than deal with it and are shifting focus to more exploitable markets.

*Seriously, look at this bullshit:

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Cartoon_Network_Studios/Salary

These numbers can be hard to put in perspective so let's do some comparisons:

Federal min wage: $27k

Min wage in WA: $31k

Average wage of a public school teacher in WA: $59K (lmao)

Current wage for a Tier 1 helpdesk technician in WA: $62k

My wage as a helpdesk supervisor in WA: $80k

I am literally making more than the vast majority of these people and I promise you my job is far easier and requires much less skill and talent. :psyduck:

And before you call me out for being rich or whatever bullshit I'd point out that while I'm grateful and aware how lucky I am to make what I do I'm still not exactly living high in the hog. Thanks to the way rent keeps shooting up I can only afford a one bedroom apartment (I could probably afford better if I had a partner tbf) and a large part of that is because my car is paid off. I legit don't know how I'd get by on those wages. I'd need either a sponsor in the form of a parent or spouse or I'd have to find somebody's $800/m broom closet to live in (which is what many of your favorite "successful" artists actually do).

And the craziest part of all? These people are the lucky ones. These are the people with good reputations and experience who can into a major studio and (probably) have benefits of some kind while the jobs last. There are many more who act as contractors who's work is even more unreliable and have no benefits. And that's not getting into the freelance market which is so barren that most people don't crack the $30k/y barrier.

Everything is so thoroughly hosed. I hate it here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

The only time it made sense to me was back in like 2005 when Rooster Teeth had Red vs. Blue on some kind of rolling archive because they didn't have the server space or streaming capacity or whatever for their whole backlog. Because it was a small internet company in the days when internet was more expensive. There's no real excuse for massive companies with large scale monetization schemes to just take perfectly good content that people appreciate and throw it in a ditch.

Although I guess what's happening now is more the new CEO beginning to bury the entire company's library in his insane quest to abolish scripted content, and there's no way any of the policies he's setting now will stick for long, but the damage will stick around for years.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The quality of TV animation is cyclical, and we're rapidly approaching a nadir. The latest boom cycle lasted a really long time and was probably kept going much longer than it otherwise would have been thanks to the rise of streaming and all the different streaming services' need to fill out their content libraries. But now the streaming market is reaching saturation, and network execs are looking at expensive, high-quality animation and saying "why are we spending this much on content when we could get similar revenue producing competition and reality shows for much cheaper"

Eventually, some network or streaming service will gamble on high-quality animation again and have a mega-hit on its hands that everyone else will try to copy, breathing life back into the industry like Adventure Time did in the early 10's, and we can only hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So are these shows going to be available anywhere else?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well I knew deep in my heart that Mao Mao was already dead, I held out hope for a long time that maybe, just MAAAYYYBE it would come out to streaming but I guess there's that. I guess it's good to finally have closure? Yuck what a mess.

It seems like the best plan for Americans looking to make a career in animation is to pack your bags and go to Japan since it looks like they're the only ones giving a poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

So are these shows going to be available anywhere else?

They'll be on the same hard drive as Batgirl, the Scooby Doo sequel and Chad season two.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Open Source Idiom posted:

They'll be on the same hard drive as Batgirl, the Scooby Doo sequel and Chad season two.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

It seems like the best plan for Americans looking to make a career in animation is to pack your bags and go to Japan since it looks like they're the only ones giving a poo poo.

Heh.

Heheh...

HeheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(That's $28,677.24/y btw)