Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

readingatwork posted:

I mean, yeah we still need to see an animated gay protagonist at some point, but at the rate we're going I'd be willing to :toxx: that we'll see one by 2020.

The very second SU starts losing its fandom, it'll do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Three of its main characters at least are pretty gay already, I think they're covered in the gay reveals

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This might be old news but apparently they're moving on to making Legend of Korra comics now, the first part debuts in late July.

This could be interesting based on the description (as an aside, I've never actually read the ATLA comics, are any of them any good?) but we'll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 19, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

This might be old news but apparently they're moving on to making Legend of Korra comics now, the first part debuts in late July.

This could be interesting based on the description (as an aside, I've never actually read the ATLA comics, are any of them any good?) but we'll see.

The ATLA comics are pretty decent. Some are definitely better than others, but it's really nice to have a lot more world to explore

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The comics resolved the plot thread about Zuko's mom.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm never gonna read them, so feel free to post it in spoiler tags.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

raditts posted:

I'm never gonna read them, so feel free to post it in spoiler tags.

Its been, like, three or four years by now but afaik:
Ursa used to be an actress in a town, maybe an ember island play?, anyways she had a boyfriend but ended up with Ozai to help her family or something. Notes and timelines and forgery lead Zuko to think that Ursa actually got with the boyfriend just before marrying Ozai and thus this guy was his real daddy. Anyways, go to the future and Ursa killed Ozai's dad so that he'd become Fire Lord and then removed her own face thanks to The Face Stealer spirit in order to delete all evidence that could stand in the way of Ozai's rise to power. Zuko followed some trails lead by Ozai's plans, found his mom, got her old face and memories back and now sometimes hangs out with her, her new husband from when she had another face and their daughter/zuko's half sister. Ozai's plan fell apart when Zuko realized he was still his son and could just tell him to gently caress off anyway. It was, uh, more interesting I think, but that was my takeaway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At this point I'd be more interested in watching the first fake out homosexual relationship just for the controversy seeing as we'll probably have gay main characters in a year or so. Like a deuteragonist in a fantasy world dating a prince, making a perfect sappy couple with the background about how prince can't be who they are because society at least wants them to go with the flow, have a wife and an heir and then keep their interests on the down-low but he keeps saying no; and then he gets killed by Deuteragonist because he's positioned himself to have an easy transition of power and Prince has pissed off enough high rollers for someone to try this sooner or later. You know something at least serious but also would make the internet also go thermonuclear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Its been, like, three or four years by now but afaik:
Ursa used to be an actress in a town, maybe an ember island play?, anyways she had a boyfriend but ended up with Ozai to help her family or something. Notes and timelines and forgery lead Zuko to think that Ursa actually got with the boyfriend just before marrying Ozai and thus this guy was his real daddy. Anyways, go to the future and Ursa killed Ozai's dad so that he'd become Fire Lord and then removed her own face thanks to The Face Stealer spirit in order to delete all evidence that could stand in the way of Ozai's rise to power. Zuko followed some trails lead by Ozai's plans, found his mom, got her old face and memories back and now sometimes hangs out with her, her new husband from when she had another face and their daughter/zuko's half sister. Ozai's plan fell apart when Zuko realized he was still his son and could just tell him to gently caress off anyway. It was, uh, more interesting I think, but that was my takeaway.

It was something like that. It also had Azula having to lead the way since she knew enough to lead them there before subsequently escaping. I didn't actually read this one myself, but I've read the others. The next arc resolves Azula's escape.

Other cool stuff from the comics: Toph starts a Metalbending school and becomes a controlling interest in a mining company. We also see her parents. We see the precursor of those people who end up becoming the Air Acolytes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Going back to the discussion of DHM,IS, I enjoy that a lot of modern cartoons do discuss things like that, but in ways that are naturally infused into the overarching thematic layer.

Creativity specifically is actually fully explored in Phineas and Ferb in a way that does not simplify it's nature - Phineas, Ferb and Dr Doofenshmirtz are all incredibly creative, allowing the audience to see it used positively and negatively in equal lights. Phineas and Ferb are creative entirely out of impulse, they are actually physiologically addicted to doing elaborate stuff, the show actually shows occasional symptoms when they are unable to do their thing (When climbing the mountain with Baljeet Phineas exhibits a severe lack of focus, is fairly antsy and at one point is literally shaking as be is being pulled up a rock face). On the other side of things Doofenshmirtz is a child who was never validated, so became so desperate for attention that his only friend is also his archnemesis, as his parent's never paid him any positive attention, so he grew to want approval from anyone he could get it from.

We also get jealousy and fear from Candace, who tries to bust them out of a combination of the two - She wishes that she could be as memorable as them in one episode in the song Extra-ordinary, but as seen in Phineas and Ferb get busted, her greatest fear is that one day, they will get one thing wrong - doesn't matter what, a missed rivet in the central structure here or an uncarried 2 in the maths there, that will get them badly hurt, or do a lot of collateral damage.

Steven Universe is taking the series entire running time not only to discuss love in all it's forms, but discrimination, and the toll that war has on both sides, physically and emotionally, in a way that no side will come out clean. An assassination or geoweapon, regardless of intent or who uses it, that cause nothing but despair to those that they were fighting to protect.

There are quite a few themes like these running through a few of these shows, in a smaller way we have Star Vs, which often discusses the importance of both formal education and creative thinking and how they can marry well together with the right encouragement.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Crabtree posted:

At this point I'd be more interested in watching the first fake out homosexual relationship just for the controversy seeing as we'll probably have gay main characters in a year or so. Like a deuteragonist in a fantasy world dating a prince, making a perfect sappy couple with the background about how prince can't be who they are because society at least wants them to go with the flow, have a wife and an heir and then keep their interests on the down-low but he keeps saying no; and then he gets killed by Deuteragonist because he's positioned himself to have an easy transition of power and Prince has pissed off enough high rollers for someone to try this sooner or later. You know something at least serious but also would make the internet also go thermonuclear.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but if I am and you're really hoping for more killed gays and baiting, screw you. That poo poo's terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, like, we already have plenty of that poo poo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0oFSvOL84
This, in the meantime, lurches ever closer towards being a thing that exists.

Was Hotel Transylvania a big success? It felt like such a wet fart of a movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It was successful enough for them to make a sequel, so...?

I don't know what the purpose of this is, though, it looks like they took all the adult characters from the movie and turned them into teenagers. Is Genndy involved with this?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's sad to see them using flash/toonboom style animation for it, since Tartakovsky really tried to do traditional stretch/squish stuff for HT.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think they were successful. Making good amounts of money on a smaller (Compared to pixar) budget. 80 Mil got them 358 in return for the first.

Wiki says the first one was 45% on RT, 47% on Mta Critic, and Cinema Score says -A from people who saw it.

They kind of come in, make a bunch of money, and vanish from people's minds.

I don't think they're very good.

I do like the character designs for all the monsters, and the setting designs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That intro seemed simultaneously too long and too short. Too short to really introduce any characters, too long for an intro without a song or anything. Regardless, wasn't there some goon who posted here earlier saying they were working on it? I wish them well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

That intro seemed simultaneously too long and too short. Too short to really introduce any characters, too long for an intro without a song or anything. Regardless, wasn't there some goon who posted here earlier saying they were working on it? I wish them well.

That was HelloWinter, and I believe she's since left the crew.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PicklePants posted:

I think they were successful. Making good amounts of money on a smaller (Compared to pixar) budget. 80 Mil got them 358 in return for the first.

Wiki says the first one was 45% on RT, 47% on Mta Critic, and Cinema Score says -A from people who saw it.

They kind of come in, make a bunch of money, and vanish from people's minds.

I don't think they're very good.

I do like the character designs for all the monsters, and the setting designs.

They're not good, but they're not bad, just perfectly mediocre. They're not painful to watch, but I'd never go out of my way to watch them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/877342770309898241

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

raditts posted:

They're not good, but they're not bad, just perfectly mediocre. They're not painful to watch, but I'd never go out of my way to watch them.

Eh. The ending rap at the end of the first one was pretty drat embarrassing. I can't even remember if there's an ending song at the second one.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I just saw the Pilot, it's kind of the same here, it also takes place before the first movie so no knock off Shaggie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/22/rockos-modern-life-reboot-title-original-cast/?sf87693195=1

Looks like the Rocko's Modern Life TV movie will be in 2018 with all of the old cast and Joe Murray directing.

Then we'll still be getting Hey Arnold this fall and Zim too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0oFSvOL84
This, in the meantime, lurches ever closer towards being a thing that exists.

Was Hotel Transylvania a big success? It felt like such a wet fart of a movie.

I quite enjoyed the first Hotel Transylvania, though I may have been under the influence of something at the time, it at least had some charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMW_-mgpOEI

This has no charm.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sockser posted:

I quite enjoyed the first Hotel Transylvania, though I may have been under the influence of something at the time, it at least had some charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMW_-mgpOEI

This has no charm.

Not available in my country. Should I be grateful?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not available in my country. Should I be grateful?

Yes.

It's very bland and forgetful. You're not missing anything at all.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I was thinking of making an OK KO thread once we approach the show's TV premier date. Sound like a good idea?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to threads :justpost:. If the show is bad or doesn't garner interest, it'll fall into archives and no one will care.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/22/rockos-modern-life-reboot-title-original-cast/?sf87693195=1

Looks like the Rocko's Modern Life TV movie will be in 2018 with all of the old cast and Joe Murray directing.

Then we'll still be getting Hey Arnold this fall and Zim too.
People reflexively pooh-pooh anything that's remade, but considering that all the voice actors and Joe Murray are coming back, I am down as hell for this. It was my favorite Nicktoon as a kid, although I stopped watching Nickelodeon around the time that Hey Arnold started its first season, so that never got a chance to take the spot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Probably worth posting the full version of the Ducktales theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=greRWnaQWc4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidcoelacanth posted:

Probably worth posting the full version of the Ducktales theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=greRWnaQWc4

It's good.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Does Miraculous Ladybug get significantly better after a few episodes? I watched Star vs due to this thread and really liked it, tried watching the first few episodes of Marvelous and I don't get the love. I know a lot of goon favorites take some time to get going so wanted to check before writing the show off as not for me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It has it's moments, but it doesn't get "significantly better" in terms of animation quality or advancing the meta-plot, other than throwing in an origins episode. The best (though groan-worthy) comparison I can make is it's like the first 25 or so episodes of Power Rangers before the green ranger: "This thing will probably get cancelled in two months and then aired in a completely random order on some syndication channel, so let's just make lots of 20 minute self-contained storylines that don't change the overarching universe to any degree."

Since it turns out it has fans, you can expect significant plot twists and lasting changes to the status quo in the episodes to come.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

THF13 posted:

Does Miraculous Ladybug get significantly better after a few episodes? I watched Star vs due to this thread and really liked it, tried watching the first few episodes of Marvelous and I don't get the love. I know a lot of goon favorites take some time to get going so wanted to check before writing the show off as not for me.

I'm honestly a little mystified myself. I liked it enough to watch it the whole way through, but to say the least it's a very repetitive, formulaic show. Not saying that's a reason to hate it, but if you're looking for strong continuity and ongoing storylines you're best off looking elsewhere. Just be sure to watch the last two episodes, which are secretly the first two episodes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No idea if it's true or not, but I've read this lack of structure where the show is totally episodic without any growth in the serial plot is common for French TV, because it's a cutthroat market where a lot of shows are taken out back and shot before their first season is finished. So you don't actually grow a linear overarching plot that advances in each episode until you're at least confirmed for a second season.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There is a bit of ongoing continuity in Miraculous, but you have to look quite hard for it because of the aforementioned "we don't want to appear serialised until we've got a renewal in the bag" issue. There's a definite change in Marinette's reactions to Adrien from 'Gamer' onwards, when she has to work directly with her crush in her own bedroom, and in the episodes after that she's noticeably less hopelessly lovestruck and derpy around him (and he's also more openly friendly to her, to the point of supporting her over Chloe later on). The episodes with Jagged Stone also form a loose arc, Alya and Nino become a couple after 'Animan', and in the last few episodes it becomes clear that Adrien's dad has a very great interest in the Miraculouses. Let's face it, he's Hawk Moth.

But yeah, it is kinda repetitive in that there's a fresh villain of the week who inevitably gets schooled by Ladybug and Cat Noir while Hawk Moth shakes his fist and vows revenge. Still a lot of fun despite that, though. And seasons 2 and 3 are reportedly going to do a lot more with ongoing arcs now that it's proven successful and can play with the format some more.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They've already confirmed a DBMAT

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What Payndz said. Just binge watch it on first run thru and then go back and rewatch the better episodes to put them in context with what you now know of the story arc as a whole. You'll notice certain episodes seem out of order and some are more important than others while some asides or background character building things take on new significance. (Hint: keep an eye on Adrian in any scenes involving Marinette's family)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man, No one told me the first 2 episodes of OK Ko was playing on the CN website.