Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Well it is a (non-TTG) WB Cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well it is a (non-TTG) WB Cartoon

Honestly WB and DC should just plain blacklist CN from getting any future projects of theirs considering how this pattern keeps happening

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Doesn't it happen because their mandatory "owned by the same company" agreement requires CN to show most DC properties at a return rate where they just don't make any money? Maybe they should just work that out and they'd have fewer issues.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Oh my god I just watched the OK KO episode 'let's not be skeletons' and its a gloriously unsubtle plea for gun control.

The best part is at the end where Carol just tells KO to call his congressman.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Doesn't it happen because their mandatory "owned by the same company" agreement requires CN to show most DC properties at a return rate where they just don't make any money? Maybe they should just work that out and they'd have fewer issues.

That is part of it, they give Teen Titans Go so much love because they get most of the merchandise revenue

Highly doubt there'll be any fixing of their relationship in the near future though, from what I've heard(admittedly hearsay) is that most of the higher ups at CN actively loathe WB and DC and that the feeling is mutual

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly WB and DC should just plain blacklist CN from getting any future projects of theirs considering how this pattern keeps happening

Hasbro bought a cable channel to get away from CN's treatment of Transformers.

A shame it didn't last.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

A shame it didn't last.

Well, that'll happen when your brand identity becomes synonymous with bronies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

A shame it didn't last.

They were a victim of their own success and a precursor to TTG in that they were eventually stuck showing My Little Pony and some other little girl shows for like hours. They also lost the dude that was writing Transformers Prime and GI Joe Renegades so their "traditional boys" media died, and unfortunately this is Hasbro, so they were very gender specific in their media creation. Little Boys want action and Little Girls and Bronies want ponies and Care Bear Reboots AND NOTHING ELSE. And lo and behold, they lost a loving Aquabats show and their host of 90s Fox programming back ups because they were unfortunately born at the wrong time to try and survive in a TV broadcast environment in the age of Netflix and Hulu online streaming.

What's worse is that MLP has outlived the Hub completely as it still somehow is shown for a few hour blocks on the now remade Discovery Family channel and even that tries to target other demographics with like Cake Boss and maybe some animal shows to who knows what kind of success. Hub probably is why we can't have a new traditional cartoon only channel ever again that isn't some pay-through-the-nose specialty channel that eventually goes under in a few years too kind of deal.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 17, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

The best part is at the end where Carol just tells KO to call his congressman.

How fast does it take to make an episode, can they really react this fast?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It takes like a fuckin' year, this was pure coincidence.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If there's one thing you can rely on in America it's gun violence :911:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No Way To Prevent This, says only nation where this regularly happens.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

PhazonLink posted:

One of the boarders mentioned that he was working on the ep back in march last year (exactly a year before the TV premier) and that the episode was first outlined (he instantly called dibs upon hearing the outline) summer of '16

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Given how many mass shootings there have been in the last few years, it's more like how slowly this has finally leaked to this level of pop culture.

It's not even necessarily specific to mass shootings, you could try interpreting some of it towards demilitarizing the police.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with America

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A bunch of characters with Canadian accents doing a Very Special Episode about a uniquely American problem is funny to me, for some reason.

Also, between this and the Captain Planet episode, OK KO might be lowkey the most progressive kids' cartoon on TV today.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

raditts posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with America

I wish.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

A bunch of characters with Canadian accents doing a Very Special Episode about a uniquely American problem is funny to me, for some reason.

Also, between this and the Captain Planet episode, OK KO might be lowkey the most progressive kids' cartoon on TV today.

There's really nothing low-key about Captain Planet.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Dogg we got an EPA chief saying that we might not have enough pollution

Captain Planet is straight up subtle

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well my point was more that nobody was talking about OK KO but

Sockser posted:

Dogg we got an EPA chief saying that we might not have enough pollution

Captain Planet is straight up subtle

yeah I remember when I was a kid thinking Captain Planet was overly preachy, but gently caress it, clearly that didn't sink in

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pakled posted:

Well my point was more that nobody was talking about OK KO but

yeah I remember when I was a kid thinking Captain Planet was overly preachy, but gently caress it, clearly that didn't sink in

Well, the real world has become a cartoon, so it follows that we have Captain Planet villains too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pakled posted:

Don't forget about the episode about inclusiveness in media and the episode about a minority character getting typecast by his racial stereotype in a movie. Most every episode has some moral at the end, it's just a surprise that there were some that were so relevant.

Captain Planet's probably covered global warming before, but the OK KO episode just got so real at the end there. And No More Pow Cards is so drat relevant, it's crazy.

And all that is nested within more standard morals about understanding your friends, not trying too hard to be cool, accepting/being accepted by your weird family, and zany things like a JRPG parody/webcomic epilogue and a Dexter's Lab episode. And then on top of all that it's all goofs and gags. It's clearly not aiming for as mature of an audience as Steven Universe and other big recent cartoons, and it's doing a great job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cartoon Network hasn't really aired any movies for the entire year, and the first thing they decide to do is play Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have taken it upon myself to very slowly whittle down the 90s Mega Man cartoon into something watchable.

Enjoy???

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Crabtree posted:

They were a victim of their own success and a precursor to TTG in that they were eventually stuck showing My Little Pony and some other little girl shows for like hours. They also lost the dude that was writing Transformers Prime and GI Joe Renegades so their "traditional boys" media died, and unfortunately this is Hasbro, so they were very gender specific in their media creation. Little Boys want action and Little Girls and Bronies want ponies and Care Bear Reboots AND NOTHING ELSE. And lo and behold, they lost a loving Aquabats show and their host of 90s Fox programming back ups because they were unfortunately born at the wrong time to try and survive in a TV broadcast environment in the age of Netflix and Hulu online streaming.

What's worse is that MLP has outlived the Hub completely as it still somehow is shown for a few hour blocks on the now remade Discovery Family channel and even that tries to target other demographics with like Cake Boss and maybe some animal shows to who knows what kind of success. Hub probably is why we can't have a new traditional cartoon only channel ever again that isn't some pay-through-the-nose specialty channel that eventually goes under in a few years too kind of deal.

Hasbro didn't come up with this obnoxious innovation. Nickelodeon aired thousands of episodes of Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents and Jimmy Neutron daily as far back as 2005. TNT aired endless episodes of Law and Order. USA soon followed suit, adding House to the mix.

This has been going on for a long time, sadly. Fortunately, unlike 10 years ago, we actually have streaming so broadcast T.V. schedules don't really matter too much from a practical sense.

Also, I feel like I'm missing something for Cartoon Network, but can't think of it

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the first couple of episodes of Apple & Onion and yeah, it’s pretty great. The kiddo likes it and there’s plenty to amuse adults too (it has a surprisingly Adult Swim sensibility). Looking forward to CN pushing it heavily for the next month and then forgetting it exists.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What I like about Apple and Onion is that it has its own personality and vision from episode 1. Just two very nice boys who want to do good, but maybe mess up sometimes. It's not like Unikitty, which was kind of a flavorless mush, or even Gumball and TTG, which were pretty conventional in their first seasons before developing their own sensibilities.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don't understand how for an American show, Apple and Onion is so aggressively British.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Labes for days posted:

I don't understand how for an American show, Apple and Onion is so aggressively British.

The show runner is British. Gumball has the same thing going on, it’s fun to watch for tells (calling classes “lessons”, the “WC” sign on the Watterson’s bathroom). They average one or two per episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also like that there's a song in every Apple and Onion episode.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So apparently Avatar: TLA is getting a blu-ray release. :dance:

But...I just realized that the show wasn't airing in widescreen at the time (this is when widescreen for T.V. shows was just barely getting started). I'm guessing they're going to pull a DBZ blu-ray and crop everything?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

So apparently Avatar: TLA is getting a blu-ray release. :dance:

But...I just realized that the show wasn't airing in widescreen at the time (this is when widescreen for T.V. shows was just barely getting started). I'm guessing they're going to pull a DBZ blu-ray and crop everything?

The series is available digitally in HD and it retains the 4:3 aspect ratio. I can’t really see Nickelodeon doing pan & scan for the Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the reminder though, the Blu-Rays are like $20 less than buying the HD version through iTunes.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 19, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

What I like about Apple and Onion is that it has its own personality and vision from episode 1. Just two very nice boys who want to do good, but maybe mess up sometimes.

Waffleman_ posted:

I also like that there's a song in every Apple and Onion episode.

Sounds very Phineas and Ferb. Do they have an animal sidekick that gets his own sideplot?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, but there was an episode about them finding a lost cat.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
a look at Bob, Dot and Enzo in Guardian Code:

:confuoot:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

mateo360 posted:

a look at Bob, Dot and Enzo in Guardian Code:

:confuoot:

I can not get over how bad this show looks.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
nevermind

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

got some new details and pics relating to Marvel's new animated project Marvel Rising

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I don't know much about these here comic books, but why is Spider Gwen called "Ghost Spider" there? I looked it up and there's a different character named Ghost Spider who is a dude and the costume is totally different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Probably because she needs a unique name to use in universe and "Spider-Woman" is taken.