Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Meeble posted:

People may hate on it for not being "dark and edgy" but Batman: The Brave and the Bold is loving awesome. Silver Age Batman is just as good as crazy, brooding Batman :colbert:

I know this show has been mentioned a few times before, but this is one I try to watch whenever I can (which is not so often unfortunately). One particularly awesome episode had a musical villain (voiced by Neil Patrick Harris oh my god) who controlled the other characters through song and the vast majority of the lines in that episode were sung. I liked this show before, but I think that particular episode really got me to fall for it.

I haven't been able to watch what's currently on so much, but I have fond memories of some of the stuff that used to be out quite awhile ago, like around the time of Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and the Powerpuff Girls (all shows I enjoyed). I really liked that Cartoon Network had that show with the cartoon shorts that spawned some of the shows I already mentioned. A few other shows I really liked were Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack. Especially Samurai Jack, which I thought was gorgeously done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Just gonna chime in and say that Chowder is probably the best kids cartoon for adults to land on television since Rocko and Animaniacs.

:byodood: I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

scorpiobean posted:

A few other shows I really liked were Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack. Especially Samurai Jack, which I thought was gorgeously done.

Courage, although not really adult in the "nudge nudge wink wink" sexual humor way of some of the other cartoons mentioned, was really really really dark and... actually sort of unrelentingly creepy/disturbing in a lot of ways.

I love it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I love Courage and was very happy when Cartoon Network started showing new episodes. Aside from the song that plays whenever Courage does something dangerous, the music for the show is really impressive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SpazmasterX posted:

Just gonna chime in and say that Chowder is probably the best kids cartoon for adults to land on television since Rocko and Animaniacs.

I will refute this by saying that Spongebob is better in that criteria. I would have Said Flapjack is better but honestly I have a hard time classifying it as a kids show since I don't know what the gently caress any child would take a way from it. I would see it being more confusing and terrifying for any kid than entertaining.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Inspector_71 posted:

I will refute this by saying that Spongebob is better in that criteria. I would have Said Flapjack is better but honestly I have a hard time classifying it as a kids show since I don't know what the gently caress any child would take a way from it. I would see it being more confusing and terrifying for any kid than entertaining.
My 10 year old sister thinks Flapjack is hilarious, so they're doing something right. She sings the themesong when it comes on and it's adorable. :3:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Strange Matter posted:

My 10 year old sister thinks Flapjack is hilarious, so they're doing something right. She sings the themesong when it comes on and it's adorable. :3:

Flapjack is honestly one of my favorite shows to ever air. "No Syrup For Old Flapjacks" is possibly the best 15 minutes I have ever seen on TV.

"I'm not a-French, I'm a-German!"

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
Normally, I can take or leave Flapjack, but 'Gone Wishing' is a brilliant piece of television.

"Never stop wishing, Flapjack, and all your wishes will come true."
"Even the scary ones?"
"Yes!"

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SpazmasterX posted:

I love Chowder with all my heart. All the characters are just so good. It's very much all about Shnitzel, though.

Flapjack is also wonderful.. but is VERY weird. Some of my friends can't get into it because of it's weirdness. (Screw 'em! ADVENTURE!)

Caught Generator Rex's first episode. I liked it. It seems really fun, and how they portrayed him being in control of the company, and being at odds against his fellows.. reminded me a bit of Static Shock, without the hip-hop of the earlier seasons. The villain is evil, and powerful which is something the original Ben 10 guys were good at setting up. In the original Ben 10, Vilgax always seemed to be a really BIG force.. now? Meh.

Ben 10: Whatever Force. When it switched to him being a teenager, and him brooding.. it lost something. It lost a lot of that playfulness the original had. It lacks a lot of depth the original had, and voice acting.. just replacing it with new aliens and more powers for no reason. Ben no longer has to rely on picking his alien choice carefully.. he'll just power through, which is a lot of what the original show was trying to teach him to avoid.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Episode posted:

Normally, I can take or leave Flapjack, but 'Gone Wishing' is a brilliant piece of television.

"Even the scary ones?"
"Yes!"
Mermaids are weird.

Flapjack follows the lineage of Ren and Stimpy, Courage and most recently Billy and Mandy by wholeheartedly inserting the sinister to balance out the silly. That episode's a perfect example. As the two characters keep using up the mermaid tears, you actually get to see the mermaid decay and turn into a withered monster, and then finally thrashing in agony once the last wish is used. That's horrible but it comes in the same episode where K'nuckles wishes that his mouth was forever filled with maple syrup, then he starts to drown to so he wishes that he could breath maple syrup, and had long flowing hair. It's sublimely ridiculous, and the addition of the weird angle makes it work even better.

It's an interesting show, not one that panders to the audience.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Episode posted:

"Even the scary ones?"
"Yes!"

"I wish I had.....GOLDEN EYEBALLS!"

edit: Lolly Poopdeck is one of the best bit characters.

"I can't sleep at night knowing there are Gouls and Goblins plotting to take what's hidden inside my buckets!!"

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 29, 2010

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
K'nuckles: You won't put me put under your spell like you did that old lady, or Flap.

Dog does a flip

K'nuckles: WOOOOOOOOOAH!

I've watched the video of that scene like a billion times and it never gets old.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Meeble posted:

K'nuckles: You won't put me put under your spell like you did that old lady, or Flap.

Dog does a flip

K'nuckles: WOOOOOOOOOAH!

I've watched the video of that scene like a billion times and it never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHD4RB-IoA&playnext_from=TL&videos=ZG3AXJFjzMA

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I haven't watched enough flapjakc as I should, but that extreme face close up joke just gets me every time.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Flapjack also had the best pun of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsmDdpd3wY&feature=related

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Flapjack also had the best pun of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsmDdpd3wY&feature=related

Welp, guess I need to watch more Flapjack. For some reason, I just can't get into it. I acknowledge that it can be brilliant and funny a lot, but something about the show just makes me blasé and I wind up ignoring it.

For whoever cares, CN ordered an additional 20 episodes of Generator Rex.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/28/ben-10-ultimate-alien-generator-rex-renewed-by-cartoon-network/49931

Apparently, and unsurprisingly, the premiere was a hit last week. I guess we can all look forward to Generator Rex: The Next Generatortion in a few years, as well as the inevitable GR/Ben 10 crossover.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

Flapjack is by far my favorite cartoon right now. Adventure Time is really great too. I'm sad to hear that Chowder has been canceled but it wasn't my favorite show. While I found many episodes to be funny, Chowder can get really irritating at times. However, the quality of animation and storyline are still a million times better than Johnny Test, Total Drama Whatever and Sixteen. I actually really loved Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and am sad it got canceled so soon. The last modern Cartoon Network show that I like is Ben 10 I just think it's really cool and reminds me a lot of the superhero cartoons I liked growing up.

As for Nick, I really love Sponge Bob and it's clear why this show has lasted so long. However, everything else blows rear end that they've got playing right now. I don't count Avatar because I haven't seen it rerun outside of Nicktoons in forever.

Disney... I can't get past Phineas and Ferb's horrible character designs so I'm sorry but I won't even bother. Kid vs. Kat is really boring and I don't see where that show is going.

I watched an episode of the most retarded cartoon the other day. I think it was on Disney but I'm not 100% and I can't remember what it was called. It was Asian themed and I think had something to do with humans vs. animals. The characters were mostly strange things that didn't look like either. There was this gigantic helmet machine that looked like a Nazi thing. I know this is the worst description ever but if anyone has a clue please let me know.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TigerMoJo posted:

Disney... I can't get past Phineas and Ferb's horrible character designs so I'm sorry but I won't even bother.
I felt this way for a little while but it's sort of unfortunate. It's one of the best shows on TV right now.

quote:

I watched an episode of the most retarded cartoon the other day. I think it was on Disney but I'm not 100% and I can't remember what it was called. It was Asian themed and I think had something to do with humans vs. animals. The characters were mostly strange things that didn't look like either. There was this gigantic helmet machine that looked like a Nazi thing. I know this is the worst description ever but if anyone has a clue please let me know.
Hero: 108 on CN? Did it have very strange angular designs and the main character was a painter?

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

TigerMoJo posted:

Sounds like Hero 108. Which is my youngest nephew's favorite cartoon, and it is pretty loving awful. He likes Johnny Test too, so I just think the kid has lovely taste in cartoons :shobon:

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

YES! You're both right. Hero: 108 it was.
That show is a loving wreck.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TigerMoJo posted:

YES! You're both right. Hero: 108 it was.
That show is a loving wreck.

I think that's why it got the morning Bakugan timeslot. They don't even bother trying to show it later in the day.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

hallo spacedog posted:

I think that's why it got the morning Bakugan timeslot. They don't even bother trying to show it later in the day.

Oh my god that's it! I was talking about it earlier in the thread, but couldn't remember what it was.
Because I blocked it out of my memory.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

hallo spacedog posted:

Yes they do. It was just on earlier. I don't get it.. it's as bad as Skunk Fu.

There are a lot of really crappy flash animations now.. for kids.

Though, I will go to the bat for Xiaolin Showdown. I just wish the badguys wouldn't always fail so horribly. I liked Jack Splicer. (He was Budnick on Salute Your Shorts!)

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Some people REALLY hate canadian cartoons on CN.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

Some people REALLY hate canadian cartoons on CN.

Did you check the date it was written?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Behonkiss posted:

Did you check the date it was written?

Yeah, it still involves cartoons and kids shows in general though.

edit:even if it's just a joke.

edit2: and a waste of posting time :ohdear:

edit3: as well as stupid. :qq:

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 30, 2010

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

PicklePants posted:

There are a lot of really crappy flash animations now.. for kids.

Though, I will go to the bat for Xiaolin Showdown. I just wish the badguys wouldn't always fail so horribly. I liked Jack Splicer. (He was Budnick on Salute Your Shorts!)

The Supervillain who lives in his mom's basement is a character trope that goes ignored far too often.
I actually really liked that series. And let's be honest, the villains had their shares of success.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

PicklePants posted:

That sucks. I just assumed since they've been showing it at 6am lately that that was the only timeslot acceptable for something that bad.

Also don't remind me of Skunk Fu... ugh.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, what's the deal with all these "animals/kids + Chinese martial arts" shows of the last few years.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

That sucks. I just assumed since they've been showing it at 6am lately that that was the only timeslot acceptable for something that bad.

Also don't remind me of Skunk Fu... ugh.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, what's the deal with all these "animals/kids + Chinese martial arts" shows of the last few years.

I think they started to explode in popularity after Kung-Fu Panda. But I think Skunk-fu predates that movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episode posted:

For whoever cares, CN ordered an additional 20 episodes of Generator Rex.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/28/ben-10-ultimate-alien-generator-rex-renewed-by-cartoon-network/49931

Apparently, and unsurprisingly, the premiere was a hit last week. I guess we can all look forward to Generator Rex: The Next Generatortion in a few years, as well as the inevitable GR/Ben 10 crossover.

If I was 10 I'd probably be all over Generator Rex. It's got well animated action, monstrous villains and just a little bit of an edge. Now it doesn't really do anything for me, which is fine since it's audience IS 10 year old boys. Unlike shows such as Adventure Time and Flapjack which are trying to throw in some more stuff for the older set.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Meeble posted:

I think they started to explode in popularity after Kung-Fu Panda. But I think Skunk-fu predates that movie.
That reminds me, here's the new series line-up for Nickelodeon. http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/11/nickelodeon-to-launch-6-new-series-new-seasons-of-16-existing-series/44667,

which includes...

Article posted:

Kung Fu Panda: The Series, Nickelodeon’s second collaboration with DreamWorks Animation, chronicles the further adventures of Po, the energetic, enthusiastic, always hungry martial arts panda as he protects the Valley of Peace from threats of all kind. Based on DreamWorks Animation’s hit feature film Kung Fu Panda, the Nick animated series is executive produced by Cheryl Holliday (King of the Hill, Still Standing, Father of the Pride) and produced at Nickelodeon’s Burbank, Calif. Animation Studios.

I heard somewhere that Nickelodeon was looking into a Monsters Vs. Aliens series as well.

As for the rest of it, House of Anubis looks kind of interesting. T.U.F.F Puppy is the latest production from Butch Hartman (Fairy Godparents, Danny Phantom). Planet Sheen is a Jimmy Neutron spin-off that's been sitting on the back burner for years.

Also of note is the newest incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which, I hear, has a left lot of old school fans cringing. That's set to debut on Nicktoons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TigerMoJo posted:

Disney... I can't get past Phineas and Ferb's horrible character designs so I'm sorry but I won't even bother.

What's horrible about them?

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

IRQ posted:

What's horrible about them?

Really?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Great kid's shows in recent memory:

Phineas and Ferb
Chowder
Flapjack
Adventure Time
Danny Phantom
Fairly Oddparents
Ned's Declassified whatever
Ben 10

Kim Possible is surprisingly alright, I'd say. Billy and Mandy was fantastic after it dropped Evil Con Carne. The christmas special was particularly awesome.

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.

Shows that have been mediocre to terrible:
El Tigre
Honeybees (or whatever the gently caress it's called)
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Johnny Test
Ben 10: Alien Force (suuuuucks)

Also most of the stuff on Disney is just really heavy marketed to the Tween demographic and the Tween demographic exclusively. The shows above that I listed above have this appeal to everyone, which is great, because manchildren like you and I like to buy DVD sets. But all of these High School Musical spin-offs are only good for 13 year-olds and those weirdos in high school. In particular, "As the bell rings." I don't know what the gently caress is up with that show but I don't like it one bit. Zack and Cody, Cory in the House, all those shows are all really mediocre compared to the kids' sitcoms from the 90s (Boy Meets World, Kenan and Kel, etc etc etc)

I am such a loving loser writing my deepest thoughts on the state of children's entertainment

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.

Nosebud...

On that vein, I was surprised when I saw a subtle "does a bear poo poo in the woods" joke in one episode which also tied in a series catchphrase. The writers obviously have a lot of fun with the writing of both the dialogue and the songs. (the creators did most of the music-related episodes of Rocko's Modern Life, so you know they can write a good song). It also kind of helps that the creators gave themselves two of the funniest roles- I'm sure other voice actors could have done Dr. Doofenshmirtz and Major Monogram just as well, but I doubt they would be as funny if that was the case. And Norm the Robot is the closest thing to walking comic gold. I could talk about this show all day.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TigerMoJo posted:

Really?

Yes, really?

That show is great and I don't understand what's so horrible about the character designs that you can't even give it a chance. Phineas' head is a triangle?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The thing that made me love Phineas and Ferb right off the bat was the end of their theme song.

"MOM! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!"

The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud. That line alone is a perfect example of the show's style of humor.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

IRQ posted:

Yes, really?

That show is great and I don't understand what's so horrible about the character designs that you can't even give it a chance. Phineas' head is a triangle?

They look like they were drawn by a 4 year old. From the eyes being different sizes to the hair and the ridiculous shapes of their heads. You can say "hurr it's supposed to be that way" but that's absurd. I think it's even more annoying that the other characters in that show don't look anywhere near as messed up so it's like those two stand out in a really weird way. If your job is to draw for a living why would you default to the most retardedly simple style of a 4-year-old child?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

TigerMoJo posted:

They look like they were drawn by a 4 year old. From the eyes being different sizes to the hair and the ridiculous shapes of their heads. You can say "hurr it's supposed to be that way" but that's absurd. I think it's even more annoying that the other characters in that show don't look anywhere near as messed up so it's like those two stand out in a really weird way. If your job is to draw for a living why would you default to the most retardedly simple style of a 4-year-old child?

I'm sorry you hate someone's cartoon pictures. You should tell those horrible cartoon people to draw in a cohesive realistic style, give each character discerning facial characteristics (wrinkles, blemishes, etc.), draw each strand of hair individually, and crosshatch every frame by hand and make every frame a nightmare for the animators because gently caress those lazy assholes, if you 'jes wanna doodle go'on back to kindygarden, this is a cartoon for cryin' out loud!!

It's a cartoon, for children, and you're angry how "kiddy" it looks? I sat here looking at your post for about five minutes because I just didn't believe anyone could come up with such flimsy reasoning to arbitrarily dislike something but hey. :shobon:

tldr hurr it's supposed to be that way

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Recently I've realized how much I miss ensemble shows like Kablam. Not everything on that show was gold mind you, but occasionally you'd be surprised by something decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

This whole argument regarding Phineas and Ferb's designs and the reactions given reminds me of this bizarre review of Punch-Out!! for the Wii where the reviewer claims to have been familiar with the Punch-Out!! franchise but then makes all these statements about how the game is nothing like real boxing, which the franchise has pretty much always been. This led to some responses commenting on how ignorant the reviewer was, including one on how disturbing, for example, cartoonish characters such as King Hippo would look if rendered realistically.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I want to see what a disturbingly realistic rending of Phineas and Ferb would look like. And possibly King Hippo.