Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They should release some limited edition princesses of power sneakers. I'd want to buy a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

quote:

the Great Rebellion and the Evil Horde feel a lot more like rival high school sports teams than factions warring for the fate of the planet

I just finished episode 8 and lmao this guy wasn't kidding; half the episode revolves around Catra and Scorpia making Adora look bad at a literal prom.

It has definitely improved since the last batch of episodes I saw, though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I watched She-Ra and I enjoyed it! Nthing that the Adora/Catra/Shadow Weaver dynamic was the best part.

Something I really like is that usually the isolationist kingdom has all the resources the alliance needs to go on and is ruled by an rear end in a top hat king who goes "gently caress you, got mine" and they'd be called out for being selfish. But in the show we see that the other kingdoms are barely holding on as well, and that the princesses aren't selfish, they just had terrible luck to inherit a kingdom that's under threat from the Horde. They're scared and just trying their hardest to keep things together to defend their homes. She-Ra isn't telling them off for being cowards, She-Ra is asking them to be brave and stand together to face evil.

I think it's a good lesson for teens everywhere who are feeling scared of engaging the world due to how scary it is right now. That it's reasonable to get scared, but you can be brave and find other people who want to change the world like you do.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was honestly surprised by how much I laughed while watching the new She-Ra, it's such a good show!

SardonicTyrant posted:

The new She-Ra came out today. If someone wants to make a She-Ra thread, could you call it She-Ra: You say princess like it's a bad thing.?

She-Ra: For The Honor Of Gayskull!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It took me an embarassingly long time to realise that part of the reason the new show is called She-Ra & The Princesses of Power is to mirror the franchise's origins: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe.

Mermista and Scorpia are the best. Also Swift Wind.

As someone who grew up watching a VHS tape of the original She-Ra pilot movie until it started to wear out, I enjoyed all the little nods. Plus there's what seem like a bunch of little trap-doors where things can either just be cute references or can be expanded into lore stuff if they're allowed to delve further into the franchise's toybox. Like Light Hope's avatar being vaguely Sorceress-inspired. Could just be a neat little homage, or could be used to foreshadow that, say, it's based on it's programmer who has a familiar bird-like motif. I do kind of miss the Crystal Castle being just a ridonkulous fantasy palace without doors.

And yeah, OG She-Ra makes silver age Superman look like a one-trick pony. Standards and Practices being so against her using the sword for sword things, and against punching because *gasp* girls don't FIGHT! meant that the sword basically turned into any tool she needed. She could talk to basically any animal. Had empathic and telepathic powers, the healing hands of a D&D paladin. By contrast, He-Man was A Dude Who's Pretty Strong. And that was about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaz-L posted:

It took me an embarassingly long time to realise that part of the reason the new show is called She-Ra & The Princesses of Power is to mirror the franchise's origins: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe.

Mermista and Scorpia are the best. Also Swift Wind.

As someone who grew up watching a VHS tape of the original She-Ra pilot movie until it started to wear out, I enjoyed all the little nods. Plus there's what seem like a bunch of little trap-doors where things can either just be cute references or can be expanded into lore stuff if they're allowed to delve further into the franchise's toybox. Like Light Hope's avatar being vaguely Sorceress-inspired. Could just be a neat little homage, or could be used to foreshadow that, say, it's based on it's programmer who has a familiar bird-like motif. I do kind of miss the Crystal Castle being just a ridonkulous fantasy palace without doors.

And yeah, OG She-Ra makes silver age Superman look like a one-trick pony. Standards and Practices being so against her using the sword for sword things, and against punching because *gasp* girls don't FIGHT! meant that the sword basically turned into any tool she needed. She could talk to basically any animal. Had empathic and telepathic powers, the healing hands of a D&D paladin. By contrast, He-Man was A Dude Who's Pretty Strong. And that was about it.

It was one of the weird times when nonsensical censoring makes a character cooler because it forced the writers to be more creative with her.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I love that one of her character traits is "spams She-ra for literally any problem"; none of that "use it only for important things" or "all magic has a price" crap that overpowered characters are usually saddled with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
(ep 8) I'm actually not sure why she couldn't be She-Ra at the prom, actually. She's repeatedly shown to not actually need to have the sword on her person once she's changed. Surely she could "For the honor of Grayskull!" at the coatcheck and then be fine?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

(ep 8) I'm actually not sure why she couldn't be She-Ra at the prom, actually. She's repeatedly shown to not actually need to have the sword on her person once she's changed. Surely she could "For the honor of Grayskull!" at the coatcheck and then be fine?

Actually the opposite is shown. When she is separated from the sword, she is shown to quickly start weakening and eventually turn back into Adora.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh my god, Sea Hawk turned up in She-Ra. Bow is super crushing and it’s great. :swoon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

nah she needs the sword on her, she can do poo poo like throw it and grab it again but she can't leave it in a side room for what could be hours.

Gaz-L posted:

It rules when people whine about ~the SJWs stole the show~ and all because Lou Scheimer was literally a nice German Jewish man who literally knocked out Hitler (in the 20's but still he was a certified Hitler puncher) and made He-Man, She-Ra, and Brave Starr explicitly to be open, inclusive, and teach kids positive messages like 'accept others' and 'be kind to people' and poo poo.

And to sell toys, yes, but he at least wanted to make his half-hour commercials have something to give beyond 'bet you want a FISTER action figure, right kids? He's got a new fist glove!'

The dirty SJWs have always put their hands all over this poo poo, She-Ra was made specifically because he and his team saw He-Man had girl fans and wanted to nurture market of girls who like sword and sorcery fight shows rather than give them some generic 'and also the princess is here' character wedged poorly into He-Man's show, and then yea when S&P got all huffy about a girl with a sword they just went 'uh ok so she fuckin talks to fish this episode to get them to beat up the bad guy because that's ok' rather than just giving up. Like, it wasn't SUPER radical or anything, it was still a show where the hero threw a mountain at a monkey man and then said 'hey kids, don't say the n-word' or whatever, but for its time, compared to stuff like GI Joe and all that was in its same pool, it was a ~progressive project~ already.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

nah she needs the sword on her, she can do poo poo like throw it and grab it again but she can't leave it in a side room for what could be hours.

It rules when people whine about ~the SJWs stole the show~ and all because Lou Scheimer was literally a nice German Jewish man who literally knocked out Hitler (in the 20's but still he was a certified Hitler puncher) and made He-Man, She-Ra, and Brave Starr explicitly to be open, inclusive, and teach kids positive messages like 'accept others' and 'be kind to people' and poo poo.

And to sell toys, yes, but he at least wanted to make his half-hour commercials have something to give beyond 'bet you want a FISTER action figure, right kids? He's got a new fist glove!'

The dirty SJWs have always put their hands all over this poo poo, She-Ra was made specifically because he and his team saw He-Man had girl fans and wanted to nurture market of girls who like sword and sorcery fight shows rather than give them some generic 'and also the princess is here' character wedged poorly into He-Man's show, and then yea when S&P got all huffy about a girl with a sword they just went 'uh ok so she fuckin talks to fish this episode to get them to beat up the bad guy because that's ok' rather than just giving up. Like, it wasn't SUPER radical or anything, it was still a show where the hero threw a mountain at a monkey man and then said 'hey kids, don't say the n-word' or whatever, but for its time, compared to stuff like GI Joe and all that was in its same pool, it was a ~progressive project~ already.

Wait, he literally punched Hitler? You'd think people would speak more to that if he did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, he literally punched Hitler? You'd think people would speak more to that if he did.

Kinda. Still, nazi punching good.

quote:

Scheimer was the son of a German-Jew who, according to family legend, had to leave Germany in the early 1920s after punching a young Adolf Hitler in 1921 or 1922, "well before" the Beer Hall Putsch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1064999591114883077

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Now Disney is making live-action movies of their shows?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

The announced this a while ago, but the backlash from Kim's look and the look for these two had been hilarious and sad.

Including one where someone said Disney should've hired some no name YouTuber to design the characters because they look better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't tell if that's Brad Garrett or not

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Why wouldn't they with previous documented examples of stellar cartoon-to-live-action-TV-movie examples like... The Fairly Oddparents... or Ben 10... oh god

In all honesty, the snake's been eating it's own tail at Disney for a while now, I'm surprised it took this long for them to start recycling their '00s programming.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not the worst idea possible, but it's just kinda...why? So much of what Disney does these days makes me think of a thing Michael Eisner said.

Michael Eisner posted:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.

That's not to say that the original Kim Possible was or wasn't some great art or statement, it's just to say what isn't greater art or a greater statement than blindly plonking down money on an old IP but without the bulk of the aesthetics that composed its appeal.

I mean I understand the principle of putting down big money on time-tested IPs and only taking the risk to foster creativity in its cheaper media like television animation, but there's no getting my head around the weird beef with animation they seem to have these days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You missed the second part of that quote, where Eisner says in the pursuit of money, often they must make history, art, or a statement.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
mmmm he also said they have no obligation to make money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like Drakken's probably going to be the best part of that movie.

But yeah, live-action made-for-TV movies of cartoons have an absolutely dismal track record and I see no reason to expect any better from this. If you think people still care do the long-overdue Kim Possible vs Perry the Platypus special.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I made a She-Ra thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874976

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

If they bothered putting the actors in makeup that actually looked like the characters I’d have zero complaints about those costumes.

I mean there’s no need for a live action Kim Possible movie in the first place but still.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They do have a greenish tinge for Shego and the blue veins for Drakken I think are a nice touch. But the costumes are perfect.

That said, I feel Kim Possible isn't going to work without, at the very least, ridiculously well choreographed wire-fu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It took me a few minutes to realise that wasn’t Diedrich Bader.

Does no-one remember the incredibly bad twitter shitstorm when the young actress playing Kim was revealed?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For what its worth this is the first time for me knowing this whole movie is 'a thing'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It took me a few minutes to realise that wasn’t Diedrich Bader.

Does no-one remember the incredibly bad twitter shitstorm when the young actress playing Kim was revealed?

Did they do the *gasp* unthinkable and cast a 16 year old to play the 16 year old?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I see zero tinge on Shego. The veins would be fine for a character that wasn’t Dr Drakken. Does he even have a rat tail?!

I’m glad they brought back Patton Oswalt for Professor Dementor and Christy Carlson Romano for...something at least.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Gaz-L posted:

Did they do the *gasp* unthinkable and cast a 16 year old to play the 16 year old?

Going by recent trends for people bitching about cartoons, I'm guessing the main issue was the actress wasn't sexy enough.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I was a big fan of Kim Possible so I guess I'll check this movie out, and try to keep an open mind and judge on it's own merits

and what it is is a direct-to-tv, probably not that huge a budget disney movie, I presume, so, you know.

Not making Drakken and Shego blue and green is understandable if they felt that face-paint/cgi or whatever didn't look great I guess? Probably honestly it's going to come down to the writing/acting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, god drat. Season 3 of Miraculous is confirmed as starting December 1st in Spain and Portugal with the episode 'Chameleon'. Lila's the villain.

So based on season 2's scheduling, expect the last episode to be in January 2020. :haw:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pound it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Payndz posted:

Well, god drat. Season 3 of Miraculous is confirmed as starting December 1st in Spain and Portugal with the episode 'Chameleon'. Lila's the villain.

So based on season 2's scheduling, expect the last episode to be in January 2020. :haw:

She does not give up.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How much more longer should a US viewer wait for the second part of Miraculous to come out on Netflix?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mid December the latest I'd say. The episodes are all out there and most of them are out in English with the exception of the finale, so like at most 2 days after the finale airs in English maybe?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
When it comes to either Miraculous or Netflix, I have learned to take projected timelines with a major grain of salt. When they arrive, they arrive.

That said, I am absolutely clutching my head like a stunned monkey over a Season 3 opener coming this soon. Astruc is notorious for tweeting how he has zero personal control over where and when the episodes air... but did WHOEVER controls that learn anything from what happened with the second half of Season 2?

A new season brings with it a lot of excitement, some big changes -- especially since, according to their model, the season openers and closers are the only ones designed explicitly to follow each other and are thus capable of serial storytelling -- and people will want more, quickly. Now, maybe I'm dead wrong and Zag has a double handful of Season 3 episodes that are all ready. Maybe they can actually get this show on anything resembling a regular schedule in whatever their country of choice is. But right now, okay, S3E1 in Spain/Portugal on Dec 1? Sure, we'll go with that. Does anyone have any idea when S3E2 will air, or in what country, or on what network, or in what spoken language(s), or if there will be a week or two weeks or two months in between?

Because I sure don't, and I'm one of the diehards. Imagine what someone who's actually in the show's target age group and audience would be like.

And it's not as if they don't have a presence on Disney worldwide...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Spanish VAs had already dubbed at least the first three S3 episodes as of a few weeks ago, according to one of the actors on social media. So Disney Channel Spain could presumably run them on a weekly schedule. ('Could' of course is not 'will'.)

The whole thing is just plain mystifying. I get that sometimes production falls behind schedule - S2 apparently had some major problems with the new animation studio that required episodes to be pulled at the last minute for extra work - but the roulette wheel of international scheduling is absolutely bizarre. The UK gets a debut, then it's Spain, then France, then Spain again, then there's a two-month drought, then Canada drops three in a row, then France is going to get one but pulls it, then Brazil, Spain, another long gap, Canada, Germany gets a turn...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m watching my way through Avatar:TLA for the first time, and I’ve just watched Tales of Ba Sing Se and Appa’s Lost Days. Oh man, those are some gut wrenching episodes.

Leaves on the vine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Payndz posted:

The Spanish VAs had already dubbed at least the first three S3 episodes as of a few weeks ago, according to one of the actors on social media. So Disney Channel Spain could presumably run them on a weekly schedule. ('Could' of course is not 'will'.)

The whole thing is just plain mystifying. I get that sometimes production falls behind schedule - S2 apparently had some major problems with the new animation studio that required episodes to be pulled at the last minute for extra work - but the roulette wheel of international scheduling is absolutely bizarre. The UK gets a debut, then it's Spain, then France, then Spain again, then there's a two-month drought, then Canada drops three in a row, then France is going to get one but pulls it, then Brazil, Spain, another long gap, Canada, Germany gets a turn...

And nothing on American broadcast television. I don't know what bridges got burned when the Nickelodeon deal ended or when they decided Netflix was a good idea, but I am continually surprised at how much Team Zag treats the huge US market as an afterthought. It stings a bit when I walk into any number of stores and see tons of PJ Masks stuff, you know?