Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

readingatwork posted:

https://twitter.com/jhonenv/status/1139650058771546112?s=21

gently caress it where did we put that monkey’s paw? I don’t even care about the consequences anymore I just want this show to be real.

Wait, what is this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

stratofarius posted:

Wait, what is this show?

It’s called A Very Important House and it was going to be Jhonnen Vasquez’s next show. They never released the pilot though and whatever company owns the rights isn’t letting him take the project elsewhere. It’s a really lovely situation. You can find clips of it here and there if you’re willing to dig way back through Jhonnen’s twitter feed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

It also seems like we're supposed to take the organization seriously, even though by rights all of them are completely incompetent and the management is terrible, which is the kind of thing I notice.

I mean, this is basically real life.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGY_fHLqck

Ian-Jones Quartey helped with this.

I kind of need more.

An okay pilot but loving hell that dub is bad. Like, really bad. Completely lifeless to the point I have to wonder if the VAs were given any direction at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The first episodes of Amphibia were released early on youtube

seems neat. A little bland but hey it's just a pilot, plenty of room to grow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:discourse:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

What the hell happened there?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think the implication is that string of tweets was deleted for being super racist, but he "tweet is unavailable" message also shows up when a locked account you don't follow replies to a tweet.

Knowing Twitter, though, it's probably the former.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

JazzFlight posted:

I don't know if I like this. There aren't really any likable characters. I know it's supposed to be the gimmick of "what if the villains are the protagonists" but that's always a balancing act of making them bad, but not really that bad. If they're jerks or flat-out evil, why am I rooting for them?

I also wasn't really a fan of Courage the Cowardly Dog and this is giving me those vibes with the scared protagonist who is just constantly whimpering or stressed out.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the protagonist either. The way he constantly loses his cool at his teammates is kind of annoying, especially since the other two don't really challenge his behavior when he does that. I guess I'm just not that fond of that character archetype.

Ruflux posted:

An okay pilot but loving hell that dub is bad. Like, really bad. Completely lifeless to the point I have to wonder if the VAs were given any direction at all.

Maybe they were just given bad directions? A lot of the line delivery feels kind of awkward and hard to listen to.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I enjoy Victor and Valentino. It’s got pretty good art and a fun cast of characters. I just feel like I’d enjoy it more if Victor wasn’t such a miserable little turd goblin.

The dude nearly got his brother killed in the underworld TWICE trying to get backyard wrestling advice and didn’t learn poo poo from the experience. I also hate that Valentino’s lessons tend to be some variation of “You need to care more about your selfish narcissistic rear end in a top hat of a brother who just unleashed Mexican Satan because he wanted to steal some enchiladas” No he doesn’t! What he needs is to give Victor a good old fashioned brotherly rear end-whoopin.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Oh dear.

By the way, I heard somewhere that Forever Twelve has wrapped and that the finished episodes have been handed over to Netflix, but not much more than that. Anyone else been following the making of this show? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it online apart from the pilot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I know about Netflix is that there seems to be absolutely no editorial oversight on their original content, for better or worse.

TwoPair posted:

seems neat. A little bland but hey it's just a pilot, plenty of room to grow.

Narrative shows need some time to really get rolling. It's alright so far.

I really appreciate fantasy settings like Bone that don't lock themselves into british accents, but Amphibia seems a little inconsistent on that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like netflix just put up aggretsuko season 2 with no fanfare whatsoever, they don't really seem to have any sort of strategy when it comes to animation, just dump it out whenever there's an empty spot not filled by a Dreamworks cartoon

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Netflix seems more interested in just building up a library of shows than having headlining premieres and such.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

like netflix just put up aggretsuko season 2 with no fanfare whatsoever, they don't really seem to have any sort of strategy when it comes to animation, just dump it out whenever there's an empty spot not filled by a Dreamworks cartoon
Sometimes it seems like they wait a few days after adding stuff to start actively promoting it on their website/app, although I don't know why they would do that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Narrative shows need some time to really get rolling. It's alright so far.

Yeah, if nothing else I am glad they're establishing it as a narrative show off the bat. I know I've bitched about it in other threads but I think that's a much better approach than the Steven Universe/Star vs./Adventure Time kind of format of "silly show then hard swerve to serious town later".

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, if nothing else I am glad they're establishing it as a narrative show off the bat. I know I've bitched about it in other threads but I think that's a much better approach than the Steven Universe/Star vs./Adventure Time kind of format of "silly show then hard swerve to serious town later".

Steven Universe/Adventure Time were much better when they weren't so heavily focused on the narrative though. Although, I do admit that Adventure Time might have been better if it was more serious from the start.

Also, whatever happened with that weird west show that somebody posted a trailer of awhile back? It looked interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like some shows that are just episodic comedies, and I like some more dramatic long-term narratives, although it sure is a lot easier to go from episodic comedy to narrative than the other way around, which is why SU gets frustrating when it steps away from all the action for a few weeks of inconsequential adventures (of course that's also because the first batch of episodes had the freedom of doing some worldbuilding at magical temples that later non-dramatic episodes didn't for some reason).

OK KO has managed so far to keep a foot in both camps, mostly episodic comedy, but occasionally updating the status quo. So many shows these days are confident that they won't be seen in the wrong order from the very linear setup of streaming services.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Wasn't Villanous being talked about some few pages back about having really abusive working conditions? I remember seeing a Twitter thread not too long about Mexican animation studios being abusive and one of the worst offenders made a really popular pilot for CN. Looking at the Youtube hits, it's hard not to believe that's what they're talking about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My bf just made me watch the first 3 eps of Bee & Puppycat. It’s lovely, but why do I hate it?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Because you haven't watched all of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

My bf just made me watch the first 3 eps of Bee & Puppycat. It’s lovely, but why do I hate it?

It's pretty twee to the point over oversweetness I think, but I only watched the first ep or two.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The_Doctor posted:

I really liked it, but it's a shame that so little ever came out (and at a slow rate). I wish it had the full support of a Cartoon Network/Netflix.

EDIT: Ah, cool, I just checked to see if there was any news about Bee & Puppycat and it looks like they're in the process of making a sequel series with half-hour eps and a longer season. Who really knows when it will come out, but whatevs, good to hear anyway.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 17, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/jackferraiolo/status/1140628023227502592
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1140631059291181057
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1140631802731585537

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

I had the same reaction. My guess is that it’s trying too hard to cash in on the quirky weird vibe that Adventure Time used to have but left out all the fun stuff. Plus Bee is not sympathetic

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, Natasha Allegri was probably someone who stood out among the AT crew as the cute millennial-twee one, and that really worked in balance with a well rounded crew like Rebecca Sugar, Ian Jones Quartey, and Adam Muto, who brought things like emotion and wackiness and pathos and philosophy. But Bee and Puppycat, as a much smaller production, is almost all her. Going from a well rounded meal to pure candy is off putting to some people.

Of course this is a simplification of the complexities of animation and the collaborative process. I'm sure she provided more than just cozy sweaters and 'Fionna and Cake' to Adventure Time. But that particular brand of semi-detached tweeness is what she sells her stuff on, and that is 100% what Bee and Puppycat provided.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, Natasha Allegri was probably someone who stood out among the AT crew as the cute millennial-twee one, and that really worked in balance with a well rounded crew like Rebecca Sugar, Ian Jones Quartey, and Adam Muto, who brought things like emotion and wackiness and pathos and philosophy. But Bee and Puppycat, as a much smaller production, is almost all her. Going from a well rounded meal to pure candy is off putting to some people.

Of course this is a simplification of the complexities of animation and the collaborative process. I'm sure she provided more than just cozy sweaters and 'Fionna and Cake' to Adventure Time. But that particular brand of semi-detached tweeness is what she sells her stuff on, and that is 100% what Bee and Puppycat provided.

A lot of people mistakenly think Natasha was a writer on AT, but her only writer credit was on Dad's Dungeon (due to that episode brushing up against deadlines; it was meant to be solo written/boarded by Pen but she and director Adam Muto had to help out and thus they both also got credit). Her actual role on the show was as a model sheet designer on the first two seasons, and a storyboard revisionist from season 3 to late season 5

Though she did co-write/board some Over the Garden Wall episodes and those eps were pretty good

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I really liked her Fionna and Cake comic book.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I watched a bunch of DC Super Hero Girls.

It has a lot of the pony show in its DNA, mostly in the sense that it's a show aimed at young girls whose character have simple, streamlined personalities that nonetheless show off that there are plenty of ways to be a girl. I wonder if Faust is basically trying to redo her original plan for MLP, hopefully this time without a plague of creepy male fans overtaking the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Superheroes. Well known for not having creepy male fans.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Superheroes. Well known for not having creepy male fans.

I mean, no cartoon is completely immune to that, but not on the level of MLP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

I watched a bunch of DC Super Hero Girls.

It has a lot of the pony show in its DNA, mostly in the sense that it's a show aimed at young girls whose character have simple, streamlined personalities that nonetheless show off that there are plenty of ways to be a girl. I wonder if Faust is basically trying to redo her original plan for MLP, hopefully this time without a plague of creepy male fans overtaking the show.

All the Super Hero Girls map directly to a pony down to the purple one being voiced by Tara Strong. It was pretty jarring. Animation is super top notch tho and I love the little sonic boom rings that accompany Kara basically anytime she does anything.

Writing wise, the story beats of a lot of episodes feel really off to me, like the endings aren’t necessarily set up properly and sometimes plot elements are way disconnected from each other.

The only episode where I can put my misgivings into words is #SheMightBeGiant where Giganta just decides arbitrarily to dose herself with the growth serum. I’m assuming it’s her “origin” ep despite her appearing in #Beeline. If it’s not her origin story and she’s been doing this for a while, then the episode doesn’t really do a great job of conveying that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds less silly than her previous cartoon origin story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The_Doctor posted:

Same here...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Applewhite posted:

I had the same reaction. My guess is that it’s trying too hard to cash in on the quirky weird vibe that Adventure Time used to have but left out all the fun stuff. Plus Bee is not sympathetic

I think this is it. It’s overly twee, and Bee isn’t a great character.

Also, I didn’t know she wrote some of OtGW because that I absolutely adore.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Applewhite posted:

All the Super Hero Girls map directly to a pony down to the purple one being voiced by Tara Strong. It was pretty jarring. Animation is super top notch tho and I love the little sonic boom rings that accompany Kara basically anytime she does anything.

Writing wise, the story beats of a lot of episodes feel really off to me, like the endings aren’t necessarily set up properly and sometimes plot elements are way disconnected from each other.

The only episode where I can put my misgivings into words is #SheMightBeGiant where Giganta just decides arbitrarily to dose herself with the growth serum. I’m assuming it’s her “origin” ep despite her appearing in #Beeline. If it’s not her origin story and she’s been doing this for a while, then the episode doesn’t really do a great job of conveying that.

Pretty sure they're shown out of order.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

I don't know where you got the impression that it was her "origin" story. Like, yes, it's the episode where we are introduced to the origin of her powers, but everything from the fact that she waited until her parents were out of town to 'bulk up' to the fact that she knew what and how to inject herself makes me think that this isn't the first time or even the third.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well poo poo:

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1141018277193367557?s=19

(Make sure to click the link)

DBGF#

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've been starved for a new show since Adventure Time/Regular Show/Steven Universe ran their course (I know, SU is still continuing, but you know what I mean). This looks like it might be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve been looking forward to Infinity Train for a while now. What’s on the link? It forwards to the UK CN site for me.