Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Woah, really smooth animation and I love the art style. Definitely one to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished Amphibia and my verdict is that it’s fine. It’s well animated and acted with characters I like but it’s ultimately just another kids show that teaches small lessons about growing up for the pile. I’ll keep watching but I’m kind of bummed that it’s not as ambitious as GF, which it reminds me of in a lot of ways.

Also gently caress the fact that the mayor is still in charge and well liked after he embezzled the town’s taxes and nearly got the everyone robbed. I don’t think the show realizes just how lovely that was of him.

Looking good!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

readingatwork posted:

Also gently caress the fact that the mayor is still in charge and well liked after he embezzled the town’s taxes and nearly got the everyone robbed. I don’t think the show realizes just how lovely that was of him.

So it's just like real life, then?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also we got the trailer for the Steven Universe movie guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZsuug-3r_Q

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Didn't think we'd be seeing an ARMS DLC character this late in the game

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

readingatwork posted:

Well, the first statement is true, the latter not so much...

I've been really digging Amphibia thus far. I thought it wouldn't hook me due to being more episodic (The episodic nature of Regular Show being exactly what made me eventually lose interest) but I keep coming back to it. The only thing that keeps throwing me off is whenever it comes up that Anne's only 13, her lanky design totally looks for usual cartoon shorthand for "between the ages of 14-15 because growth spurt". It's a similar disconnect to when I think to consciously of Steven Universe being 14 and not, like, 8.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wow, that's a pretty good theme song! animation looks pretty sweet too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might also just be how girls start growing earlier than boys. I feel like the super-small look of early teens in Gravity Falls, New Ducktales, or Steven Universe is inaccurate, but then I'm no expert on child developmental growth stages. I don't think I grew 3 feet between 12 and 15 though. Adventure Time kept Finn at about the same height from 11 to 17, although maybe that's a nutritional deficiency.

It's interesting how the bad characters in power have been portrayed in Amphibia. Sasha clearly did care about Anne, even if she didn't care about what Anne wants. The Mayor of Wartwood has had a few weirdly heroic moments despite being an unpopular crooked politician, and I'm not sure what to make of that. Hop-Pop becoming a symbol of rebellion and toppling Toad Tower seems like it could be a really interesting development though.

I'm disappointed that Traitonio didn't show up again in Toad Tower, although I did appreciate the axolotl carpenter callback joke.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If/when another 90s show appears in OK K.O., I wish it'd be Swat Kats. Or maybe Pirates of Dark Water.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

If/when another 90s show appears in OK K.O., I wish it'd be Swat Kats. Or maybe Pirates of Dark Water.

No it should be the X Men with the exact same art style and tone from the 90s show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mraagvpeine posted:

Both of those received mentions in Craig of the Creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn09yT7pxzU

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 20, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm kind of expecting a Sonic Underground reference, because it was such an incredibly 90s spinoff of an already incredibly 90s character.

Of course, referencing the goofiest of the sonic cartoons with the end music is also definitely OK KO's style. Man, there have been 5 very different Sonic cartoons.

You just reminded me that Sonic Boom's not around anymore and that makes me sad

https://twitter.com/rhymewithrachel/status/1074619341340139520

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

got a hot take here

i saw the recent Aladdin remake and I...don't think it's completely horrible? also, i think i actually like will smith's version of Friend Like Me more than the original, especially during the ending dance scene

Pakled posted:

Both of those received mentions in Craig of the Creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn09yT7pxzU

i go back and forth on whether meta-humor is a good thing or not.

On the plus side, this show seems kind of cool

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Finally managed to finished binging the first season of Amphibia, and I'm sold. Anne was probably a bit too much of a shithead in the first couple of episodes, but it was really nice to see her gradual growth over the season as her time away from her manipulative friends and with the Plantars allowed her to become her own, still flawed, but far better person. The only thing that I'm really disappointed by is the release schedule—I feel that dropping the entire season over a month robbed the show of a lot of potential interest and discussion (Just see how relatively little interest it's gotten here)

It'll definitely be interesting to see where they go with the next season though. It seems they've got it pretty well set up for Anne to travel beyond Wartwood now that the pass has cleared, and for Anne to be set against Sasha in the coming rebellion against the toads. It'll also be interesting to see where Marcy ended up, how she's faring, what kind of person she's grown into, and whether she'll fall in with Anne, Sasha, or into her own faction.

Also, does anyone think there might be some significance to Anne's to-be-dissected frog looking exactly like Hop Pop, or was that just a sight gag? (I'm leaning towards the latter, but you never know).

ALSO ALSO, looks like Cartoon Network has dropped the first episode of Infinity Train on their site.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Definitely agree on Amphibia being a great show with an awful release schedule.

Look, I get it. Kids are into the binging thing now. The days of week-by-week releases are gone. But you can't possibly tell me that kids nowadays are going to go for this 'two new episodes a day' stuff over a whole month, especially when I know those kids are way too busy doing other things! It just don't make sense!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

stratofarius posted:

Look, I get it. Kids are into the binging thing now. The days of week-by-week releases are gone. But you can't possibly tell me that kids nowadays are going to go for this 'two new episodes a day' stuff over a whole month, especially when I know those kids are way too busy doing other things! It just don't make sense!

poo poo, I was too busy to watch it until just this week! I just hope it doesn't take too long for more episodes to come out, though, it's gonna suck if we have to wait a whole goddamn year to see more wacky frog adventures just because Disney decided to blow the entire season at once. I'm invested now!

Anyway, went through the first episode of Infinity Train, and it's good! Looks weird, dark, and mysterious, has the opportunity to be a real fun and unique cartoon.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Disney seems to be experimenting with release schedules, trying to figure out which format will get the most buzz and the most views. Two per week from start to finish? Four per week during the work week? A whole season at once, or two sets of releases within a year? Hell, the way they switch between formats might be a tactic in itself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's some pretty interesting features on the map in the opening, the most interesting being the city with massive walls up north of the valley. There's also an arid area just over the mountains, a canyon out southwest, all kinds of little blobs that look like houses or towns, and come to think of it, the snowy mountains might be a bit of a no-frog's-land because ectotherms. I'm a sucker for a good map, and that one's full of promise.

I can't say much about the release schedule. On the most simplistic level, having episodes out is better than not having episodes out. Having a straightforward release schedule that's planned from the beginning is way better than releasing random amounts of episodes at random intervals like Steven Universe did and making prospective watchers neurotic. I have no idea how the statistics on viewer engagement work out, or how much any particular showrunner would want to gauge audience reaction as they go along. They renewed the series for a second series before it premiered, so I would hope they have a head start on production.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, it's going to be really neat to see them get outside of Wartwood and explore the other parts of the valley. They've done a great job creating a weird and fascinating world thus far, and it'll be neat to see how they render other biomes.

Also, Matt Braly (the show creator) put together a crew blog to provide behind-the-scenes commentary and art for each episode. They're only up to episode 4 thus far, but it's a really cool look at how the show's developed. Matt also posts a lot of stuff on Twitter, and is a solid follow for stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1149478211601874949

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I like it! It feels fresh and I'm really digging that 80's Blade Runner soundtrack.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 21, 2019

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

stratofarius posted:

Disney's TV ratings are in the shitter, so they don't give two fucks about who watches their shows live anymore.* It's all about online services and their app, and for those purposes, it actually makes sense to release episodes as a steady, continuous stream since it allows Disney to use certain traditional metrics to gauge audience interest and growth over time, while still providing a massive dump of episodes for binge-watchers at a relatively snappy pace.

In a way I think Amphibia being one of the shows to follow this release model bodes well for it, since it suggests to me that Disney is interested in seeing how successful it proves to be, meaning they probably had faith in the show to begin with.

*not that this stopped them from bragging about Amphibia doing comparatively well in ratings

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

Disney's TV ratings are in the shitter, so they don't give two fucks about who watches their shows live anymore.* It's all about online services and their app, and for those purposes, it actually makes sense to release episodes as a steady, continuous stream since it allows Disney to use certain traditional metrics to gauge audience interest and growth over time, while still providing a massive dump of episodes for binge-watchers at a relatively snappy pace.

In a way I think Amphibia being one of the shows to follow this release model bodes well for it, since it suggests to me that Disney is interested in seeing how successful it proves to be, meaning they probably had faith in the show to begin with.

*not that this stopped them from bragging about Amphibia doing comparatively well in ratings

Yeah, but like, all of cable TV's ratings have been lowering over time. It feels like making shows harder to keep up with and watch is going to make those ratings sink further. I know all of the channels' are focusing on their apps nowadays but it seems like making the TV shows hard to keep up is a self-fulfilling prophecy to a ratings problem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They're not trying to fix a ratings problem, they're ignoring it altogether. they're thinking beyond cable tv and so should everyone. it is beyond saving

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Amphibia's release schedule is fine. Its not like Cartoon Network's habit of releasing only like 5 episodes at a time, and then having like 6 months or much longer before the next batch is released. Its not like they are dumping the entire show at once either.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
fun fact: the animation supervisor on The Owl House was the animation director on the Netflix Castlevania show
https://twitter.com/SpencerWan/status/1153389633310302208

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1153650976236167168?s=21

August 16

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Infinity Train has been confirmed as a 10-episode miniseries which will be presented 2 episodes per night for 5 nights ala OTGW:

https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1153484963934638080?s=09

Apparently this was Owen's preference.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

:pray:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mr.Radar posted:

Infinity Train has been confirmed as a 10-episode miniseries which will be presented 2 episodes per night for 5 nights ala OTGW:

Agh--!! Wow, what a rug-pull. I kinda have to process this, I thought it was going to be a full show.

Ah well, Over the Garden Wall was absolutely amazing and holds up on every rewatch, so...
(BTW, what is the creator of Over the Garden Wall doing now? I wish he had been given a spiritual successor project)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This makes sense. The premise seems (ironically) finite. It's an intriguing mystery box kinda thing that calls for answers and a conclusion; traincar-of-the-week wouldn't be satisfying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Miniseries are good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like I hadn't heard Richard Horvitz in anything for a long time, but then both Invader Zim and Psychonauts got brought back at around the same time

Mr.Radar posted:

Huh, I totally expected that it'd be a full series. The premise sounded like it was meant to be modular and fully episodic to go on indefinitely rather than short and to the point.

I was kind of expecting it to be another Courage the Cowardly Dog, a kid's show that was just kinda creepy, but maybe if it gets a good reaction, CN will start investing in creepier projects.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mr.Radar posted:

On the one hand, it's disappointing that it won't be a full show, but on the otherhand it has the potential to be a really strong miniseries so I'm 100% for it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

JazzFlight posted:

(BTW, what is the creator of Over the Garden Wall doing now? I wish he had been given a spiritual successor project)

He served as director on the unreleased pilot for that Amazon Costume Quest show, but he's not involved in the full show (also said show was developed by a guy who was a writer/boarder on OtGW, Zac Gorman)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1153710843944742912

New disney cartoon, apparently. Looks billy and mandy-esque?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I wish disney's movies were as creative and fun as their tv shows.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels like I hadn't heard Richard Horvitz in anything for a long time, but then both Invader Zim and Psychonauts got brought back at around the same time

I know he was involved in the Skylanders games as a villain. So he definitely was working even if it wasn't high profile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I know he was involved in the Skylanders games as a villain. So he definitely was working even if it wasn't high profile.

The villain in that game is pretty much just Zim.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also had a small part in the Dragon Ball Super dub, which is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvwvXmTFO2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

He is writing Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio movie