Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I haven't seem an anouncement here. But season 2 of Kipo is coming June 12. That's great and I am looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Legend of Korra was too busy with its plot to really do much to show off the world or develop the characters, so it kinda just lacked a lot of drive. It also didn't help that so many subplots just kinda fizzled out with no resolution or effect on the later show, or even got directly cancelled out.

And since events were driven more by the demands of the plot than the characters, Korra herself as a character was just kinda depressing to follow, since she kept on losing and getting pretty brutally beaten up. It wasn't really much of a surprise when she started to get traumatized long-term from all the punishment she was put through, although it was disappointing and depressing.

Philosophically, it asked a bunch of big questions that it awkwardly didn't answer and just kinda shoved under the rug, and I think the Last Airbender comics did a better job with those same questions. The Avatar Wan story is alright on its own, but I'm not a fan of bending having been a magical lion turtle gift as opposed to its former origins from the moon spirit or badgermoles or dragons or sky bison. Still didn't explain why it's just kind of random who can do it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Legend of Korra was too busy with its plot to really do much to show off the world or develop the characters, so it kinda just lacked a lot of drive. It also didn't help that so many subplots just kinda fizzled out with no resolution or effect on the later show, or even got directly cancelled out.

And since events were driven more by the demands of the plot than the characters, Korra herself as a character was just kinda depressing to follow, since she kept on losing and getting pretty brutally beaten up. It wasn't really much of a surprise when she started to get traumatized long-term from all the punishment she was put through, although it was disappointing and depressing.

Philosophically, it asked a bunch of big questions that it awkwardly didn't answer and just kinda shoved under the rug, and I think the Last Airbender comics did a better job with those same questions. The Avatar Wan story is alright on its own, but I'm not a fan of bending having been a magical lion turtle gift as opposed to its former origins from the moon spirit or badgermoles or dragons or sky bison. Still didn't explain why it's just kind of random who can do it.

It also doesn’t really explain why afterwards some people suddenly started being born already possessing Bending ability.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't like Korra because Toph became a cop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I don't like Korra because Toph became a cop.

Angry Yoda Toph in the final season was fun though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I liked Toph being pointed out as a lovely mom.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I will say, I'm beyond amazed they got away with a murder/suicide on a kids show. Just wish the build up to that was earned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I will say, I'm beyond amazed they got away with a murder/suicide on a kids show. Just wish the build up to that was earned.

There's also the Earth Queen being literally asphyxiated on screen, Korra being tortured, and Asami's father being crushed to death by a giant mech.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
gently caress, I forgot about the Earth Queen, that was crazy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JT Smiley posted:

That's still maybe the most outright shocking scene in Korra for me.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

There's also the Earth Queen being literally asphyxiated on screen, Korra being tortured, and Asami's father being crushed to death by a giant mech.

One of the anarchist gang gets her head blown right off, it cuts away right before the critical moment but it's obvious that's what happens (and I think some debris might be very briefly seen flying in the distant shot cutaway) and another one is electrocuted by Mako's lightning bending. These scenes, and then also the other brutal beatdowns like Tenzin looking like he was going to get killed, were almost off-putting in how surprisingly brutal they got. Especially since most of them were within a small span of episodes in the third season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How exactly did Korra manage to get away with as much as it did? The closest the original series got as far as I remember was Zuko getting half his face burned by his dad and Jet's somewhat ambiguous death (the only confirmation being a single line from Toph: "He's lying").

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

All the warriors in his tribe are dudes, they went off to war and he stayed behind to protect the women and children. Plus there's other stuff that comes up later that I won't spoil.

Ohhh okay missed that.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The water tribe society is very sexist. The old women probably kept insisting that he as the male had to protect his sister and had to hunt, while she helped raising the young ones. Also there are probably countless stories about strong protector men from the past cycling around.
You don't need men to become sexist.

I know you don't need men for sexism, I just didn't catch the circumstances properly and thought it was a more female-dominant society but the warriors were just not present.

Show is pretty cool so far, I'm realizing it's not a great "second screen" show while drawing or whatever. Keep getting sucked in and actually just watching it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't remember if the exact circumstances that led to the current state of the southern water tribe are spelled out that early, but it's gone into more throughout the series.

Nephthys posted:

* Another issue is that they made Korra way too flawed of a character to the point where she becomes kind of unlikable. Aang had flaws that were endearing, Korra had flaws that were frustrating.

Korra is basically a female Peter Petrelli, where the only way the writers could handle their main character being Jesus Superman was by making them a constant idiot and a jerk. They kinda address this in a way but as mentioned already it's kind of a bummer for a character arc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Korra is the best bender on the planet, except for when there's a person that is actually important to the plot fighting her.

Larryb posted:

How exactly did Korra manage to get away with as much as it did? The closest the original series got as far as I remember was Zuko getting half his face burned by his dad and Jet's somewhat ambiguous death (the only confirmation being a single line from Toph: "He's lying").

I know that at least half of it never actually aired on TV and just got released online. This was also around when it seemed like Nickelodeon was getting ready to ditch the idea of making more cartoons, and even now it seems like Nickelodeon doesn't pay much attention to animation and kinda just cordons off their projects so people do their own thing, which kinda works.

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles posted:

Donnatello: Ah, so you're saying we need to play a game of Bask-ay-ball.
Raphael: Donny, I know you know how to say it. We're onto you.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I could accept Aang losing fights easier because even by the end he hasn't truly mastered all the elements, but Korra actually got real Avatar training and (at one point) full mastery of the avatar state. No one should have been able to touch her.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Korra also was having massive episode leaks, constantly through out it's runs where episodes were constantly on the internet well before their being scheduled to show on TV which helped kill the ratings.

I was okay with Korra losing fights. I think the first season kind of showed why, in that respect. She was locked away, doing specific training, and the bending world was kind of passing her by in that respect. Which is why we got the pro-bending stuff. We saw the progress of the world, how incredibly rare/not made up stuff in Aangs world become incredibly common place.

Korra was kind of sheltered and locked into the past, and was not only emotionally stunted because of it, but she didn't have the real life experience that Aang had escaping people trying to constantly kill him, as well as the problem solving that the Gaang had trying to get out of those dangerous situations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked how the CW Supergirl dealt with a powerful protag who still had to lose - most of her losses are either to beings who have more combat experience like warriors or villains who've got experience fighting Superman, but due to her sister teaching her to fight properly by putting her in a Kryptonite-laced room to make her normal-strength, she's able to hold her own against people that are way more powerful in raw strength because she can fight properly without wasting energy compared to Superman just punching away until something breaks.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that at least half of it never actually aired on TV and just got released online. This was also around when it seemed like Nickelodeon was getting ready to ditch the idea of making more cartoons, and even now it seems like Nickelodeon doesn't pay much attention to animation and kinda just cordons off their projects so people do their own thing, which kinda works.

True, but it was never planned that way. It got shuffled online after Nick botched the season three launch due to half the season leaking before they even had an airdate (!) so they went all-out and dumped like three episodes off the bat with a week's notice. Unsurprisingly the ratings - which were already down due to cable channels becoming less popular, there being over a year's gap between the season two finale and season three's premiere, not to mention the unpopularity of the former and its Friday night death slot, and general apathy with the series as a result - nosedived and they just took it off the air once they noticed most of the traffic was there.

In a way you could argue LoK was a trailblazer for the online first or even online only trend for animated shows in the years to come. It just happened entirely by accident, funnily enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PicklePants posted:

Korra also was having massive episode leaks, constantly through out it's runs where episodes were constantly on the internet well before their being scheduled to show on TV which helped kill the ratings.

I was okay with Korra losing fights. I think the first season kind of showed why, in that respect. She was locked away, doing specific training, and the bending world was kind of passing her by in that respect. Which is why we got the pro-bending stuff. We saw the progress of the world, how incredibly rare/not made up stuff in Aangs world become incredibly common place.

Korra was kind of sheltered and locked into the past, and was not only emotionally stunted because of it, but she didn't have the real life experience that Aang had escaping people trying to constantly kill him, as well as the problem solving that the Gaang had trying to get out of those dangerous situations.

Which honestly didn't work very well since most Benders in Korra's time come off as being much weaker and less skilled than the Benders of Aang's time, outside of certain tricks like Lightning and Metal Bending having become more common

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Korra may have gotten better down the road but to me it just never stopped feeling like an ATLA fanfiction that somehow got animated. The good does not outweigh the bad. But I know a lot of people like it, so to each their own.

JT Smiley posted:

Did they kiss at the end? I thought they just held hands as the screen turned white.

They kiss in the very sloppily written sequel comic that I highly advise against reading.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 20, 2020

BaconPirate
Dec 11, 2019
Is this where we talk about Rick and morty

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BaconPirate posted:

Is this where we talk about Rick and morty

No.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I keep wanting to write a Korra fanfiction which is a cross between season 4 and part 7 of jojo's bizarre adventure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked how the CW Supergirl dealt with a powerful protag who still had to lose - most of her losses are either to beings who have more combat experience like warriors or villains who've got experience fighting Superman, but due to her sister teaching her to fight properly by putting her in a Kryptonite-laced room to make her normal-strength, she's able to hold her own against people that are way more powerful in raw strength because she can fight properly without wasting energy compared to Superman just punching away until something breaks.

I feel like writers and audiences really have lost track of what made Superman interesting in the first place. Half the fun of the Silver Age is Superman being intelligent and restrained, using his powers in creative and cunning ways and his self-imposed limitations giving him a reason to think outside the box. (and sometimes inside the boxing ring) Man of Steel at least had him explicitly be in his first ever super-powered brawl and showed the horrifying consequences, and exactly the reason why Superman pulls his punches. (Of course they kinda botched the followup) Superman's never really been about the intense fight scenes but characters using intelligence, cunning and specific interactions of plot devices and powers to gain the upper hand; there's a reason Superman has an inbuilt hard counter and his greatest foe is the smartest and most insecure man on the planet.

And with Sokka, I get the impression that since he's spent a long time as the only near-adult male surrounded by woman and children, he absolutely overcompensates for what he believes his role has to be- not to mention since Southern Tribe Waterbenders are all but extinct, he's not used to someone who's physically weaker than him having access to greater physical power. That and he was originally going to be more of a masculine warrior type til they realised his voice acting worked much better as a comedic character.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Superman is about the anticipation in waiting for something to be a job for Superman.

Superman beating up on some KKK members? Boring.

Clark Kent investigating selfsame with the knowlege that the moment he figgures out their game Supes is going to kick their asses to next week? Exciting.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ironically, Goku and Saitama actually pull off the Superman thing better in that respect.

I think it doesn't help that until recently, movie writers are afraid of the world having weird and cool things other than the central superhero of the movie or directly related to them for some reason. For all the issues with the attempts at shared universe everything, at least it seems to have broken them of that habit.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

TwoPair posted:

They kiss in the very sloppily written sequel comic that I highly advise against reading.
It's a real mystery how all the comics for ATLA and LoK kind of sucked to various degrees. It's almost as if translating a series deeply rooted in being a visual, in motion medium with impressively animated fight scenes to static pages in a comic book isn't a good idea, especially if the writing only becomes much worse in the process

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I remember reading one of the AtLA sequel comics, the one where Zuko finds his mom again, and boggled at how stupid it was. In the show, Zuko's mom cut a deal where she'd go along with Ozai's plan to kill his dad and then go on permanent exile just to ensure Zuko and Azula's safety. In the comic, apparently all her memories of being with Ozai are so painful that she begged a spirit to remove it all, including memories of her own kids. I can understand wanting to forget about Ozai, but to forget even her kids felt like the writers didn't care whether it fit her character or not.

Also there was one comic where Mai and Zuko broke up, and it's just... Why? They were good together, so what purpose did breaking them up even serve?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve never actually read any of the ATLA or Korra comics, are any of them decent?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

amigolupus posted:

Also there was one comic where Mai and Zuko broke up, and it's just... Why? They were good together, so what purpose did breaking them up even serve?

To stop the death threats from shippers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’ve never actually read any of the ATLA or Korra comics, are any of them decent?

I'd say there are some that are at least decent and most have interesting world building.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Zuko's mom comics are the only ones that are like seriously monstrously terrible. The rest are fine.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The comics have interesting ideas but can never quite pull them off correctly and the dialog is miserable.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I enjoyed them. :shrug:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

McTimmy posted:

The comics have interesting ideas but can never quite pull them off correctly and the dialog is miserable.

Just like lok!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I enjoyed the comics that focused on the issues with trying to decolonize and remove people who have lived in an area for a hundred years, the clash between the spirit world and the birth of industry, and the problems with the separate water tribes trying to reunite.

One of the issues Korra had was that it was so busy trying to quickly build and resolve its short-term plot threads that few of the elements of the setting really got a chance to shine. Organized crime and pro-bending only really existed to be destroyed to show the stakes being raised.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Jet's really dead. Giancarlo on twitter officially confirmed it. S&P at the time had them water it down to get that as clear as they possibly could.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Promise: No. Ideas are there, but it falls flat. Can you believe in the idea of the Earth Kingdom wanting some degree of revenge for the poo poo the Fire Nation pulled? Yes. Would you believe it if King Kuei (yes, THAT Kuei) was the one leading the revolution ? No, you don't. Some fans hated Katara and Aang's depiction of a relationship; but compared to watching Zuko grovel to his father for help and advice on ruling the nation, that was small potatoes. Yes, I'm furious that Gene thought Zuko would ever ask , much less, grovel to his father for anything. Context be damned, that was like selling me the idea of a jar of piss being a plot point.

Search: I flip-flop on this one. One week, it's fine, the next I'm furious. If Azula's your favorite character (she's mine, btw), you won't like it much. The marriage is "all bad, all the time" with Ozai being an rear end in a top hat straight out the gate instead of the implied "started ok-ish but ultimately deteriorated vibe the show gave" which raises dubious questions on the nature of Zuko and Azula's birth. There's spiritual shenanigans including a Simpsons joke, a queen of faces, and somehow making Koh, the face stealing centipede, a momma's boy. All the spiritual stuff wasn't needed and took away from the focus of the main story in my opinion. Ursa comes up with an asinine plan of angering Ozai just to try to hurt him and ends up putting Zuko in the crosshairs. Realizing this would ultimately put Azula in them as well, she ends up being more doting to Zuko which inadvertently fucks up Azula. Typing that out, I feel like I'm victim-blaming Ursa instead of pointing out the fumble in logic. Azula makes absolutely no sense, and not in the whole "duh, she's insane" thing. No, I mean, literally, Gene thought one of the more interesting and complex characters who suffered a massive breakdown is now bi-polar/split personality instead of just paranoid and handles her as if she goes crazy at the flip of a switch. At one point, Zuko, man who was determined to put his broken family back together again, dangles his sister over a cliff. Kiyi's loving awesome though and I'd like to see more of her, even if she's just half-zuko/half-azula. Good climax though. Ultimately, the stage was set but it under-delivered.

I can assure you; if I was asked on a week I was more ambivalent towards it, I'd have positive stuff to say about it.Though typing out what I typed above, I really should loving hate it more.

Rift: I liked it. Some find it dull. I personally liked it. It tackles the idea of change after the 100 year war for the rest of the world, and the birth of heavy industry. It sets the stage for Imbalance, we get a very short tale of YangChen, and the other stuff is fine.

Smoke and Shadow. If you think Azula was badly handled, wait till' you see what they do to Mai, Holy poo poo. Azula concocts a plan to help her brother become a better ruler that involves massive child abduction and creating a mass panic/potential revolution in order to "help" her brother become a better ruler by trying to mold him into a puppet king to rule like she would have while continuing to be completely ignorant of why that made her loving break in the first place. Why she's doing that? Because she wants to prove that he is no different from her. Yes, the Joker comparisons are flashing in your head now, and for the record, the Kemurikage outfit she wears has purple. Gene, potentially realizing he's not the best to write Azula, seems to throw out the mental disorders/problems she had or suffered from so now she's just...there. She somehow picked up lightning redirection, no explanation given, and as it's a waterbending-style move, I doubt the classist xenophobe would've added that trick to her arsenal. Azula now (to her own accord) no longer sees hallucinations; but if you remember context clues for when Azula's sanity starts to slip, they depict her changing from crazy to composed like it's a light switch. An argument could be made for the "don't believe what you're reading, look at the actions, or show, don't tell" that the actions and the characters and the tics should be what you're focusing on; but the author commentary reveals that they literally had no idea what to do with Azula. Knowing that, it's like the whole "Motomu Toriyama perving on FFXIII's Lightning thing": Once you know that behind-the-scenes tidbit, it doesn't leave your mind and it really dours your enjoyment on the book. Ursa subplot was cool though. It isn't heavily explored but it counts on you to remember what it was like, so it doesn't need huge depth.

North and South: Good! OOParts are there as in at one point, they have a snowmobile chase during an era before Korra's time got cars right. The rest is solid stuff though and it focuses on what Gene wants to talk about : The nature of change between the past and the future and what should be kept the same vs what should change.

Imbalance: I personally liked this one. The reasoning behind what the main antagonist is doing is a bit...garbled (like, reading it aloud could cause the words to choke up in your throat) but there's more than enough in it to really make sense. I really liked this trilogy and am looking forward to more stuff Faith has coming. Sadly, she won't be doing any stories with Azula as she got some E-mail from a psychotic fan regarding her and it spooked Faith away. I personally don't hold it against her if she doesn't want to write about her.

Turf Wars: I liked it, Tokuga's interesting in that whole "Who the gently caress are you" sense. Some hated it for queerbaiting; but that's a subject I don't feel like I have a right/am not smart enough to talk about.

Ruins of the Empire: At the end of Korra, they vowed to disassemble the Earth Kingdom and let the people rule themselves and institute a Democracy. This trilogy ends with Wu reassuming the throne and making GBS threads on change because the people can not only NOT get it right; but the obvious evils of Democracy via Guan, make the point for Monarchal rule. Better than it sounds with context, but I was a bit pissed at this one.

EDIT: Didn't know if spoilers would count, so I tagged them.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can someone refresh me Jet's "death"?