Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thompsons posted:

I feel kinda bad for Cree Summer but even ignoring that the animal abuse angle won't fly now, that character was annoying as poo poo

Is it weird that it took until years after the show went off the air for me to realize she was the next-gen Elmer Fudd character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Remember when they took Pinky and the Brain and added Elmyra for some reason

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

At least Kennedy isn't around to gently caress up the animation anymore

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Wait wasn't that joke?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait wasn't that joke?

No it existed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinky,_Elmyra_%26_the_Brain

Apparently it was done by network mandate (they even make fun of this in the theme song).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I think it was because Steven Spielberg asked that they find a way to keep the character around, or maybe that was a scene I remember from an episode of the show. It's just a series-long version of the Pinky, the Brain, and Larry gag, but with a more annoying character.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Elmyra was an interesting way to spin Elmer Fudd, although she ended up being closer to another Looney Tunes bit. I think it's weird for them to commit to just removing the character entirely instead of developing a new spin for her, but her original schtick definitely wasn't that good, and feels really dated now.

From what I remember, I think that the show couldn't decide if she was evil or just stupid, and she was this weird baby-stupid that probably seemed cuter to adults than the kids watching.

Montana Max isn't dated at all, although the worst thing they could do with him is humanize him at all.

pentyne posted:

If you were to survey the self proclaimed bronies in 2013 versus now I would bet at least 1/4 are alt right or alt right adjacent. There's nothing quite like how socially maladjusted young white males will just fall into fascist ideology effortlessly.

I don't really know that much about Bronies because during their heyday I knew enough to stay away from them and leave it at that. Jenny Nicholson did a neat video analyzing the whole thing and where the whole fandom ended up in the end, and apparently they were absorbed into Furries, which I guess fits.

Which doesn't preclude also becoming nazis, so far as I know about Furries.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Montana Max isn't dated at all, although the worst thing they could do with him is humanize him at all.

He has to be Mayor of Acme Acres now, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which doesn't preclude also becoming nazis, so far as I know about Furries.

Pretend I went to the effort of finding and posting that image of a furry bodysuit designed to look like a Confederate flag

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also established in-universe that toons who are forgotten about by the audience slowly grow older and die

Shame on Tiny Toons for trying to trick kids into believing the old Bosko cartoons were funny. Anyone who had Nickelodeon knew better.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 29, 2020

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

J-Spot posted:

Shame on Tiny Toons for trying to trick kids into believing the old Bosko cartoons were funny. Anyone who had Nickelodeon knew better.

Yeah. At least the Animaniacs beat the poo poo out of Buddy.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Yeah. At least the Animaniacs beat the poo poo out of Buddy.

It wasn't until now that I learned Buddy was actually an old cartoon and not just some character made up for the show.

J-Spot posted:

That episode also hasn't aged well in light of the fact that Bosko originally was created as a blackface character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regalingualius posted:

Pretend I went to the effort of finding and posting that image of a furry bodysuit designed to look like a Confederate flag

Furries in recent years actually have been making a considerable effort to run the nazis out, kind of necessary for a community that's majority LGBT+.

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I remember, I think that the show couldn't decide if she was evil or just stupid, and she was this weird baby-stupid that probably seemed cuter to adults than the kids watching.

That might explain a lot. Especially since she apparently got pushed so much because an exec really liked her for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 30, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That might explain a lot. Especially since she apparently got pushed so much because an exec really liked her for some reason.

That reminds me that there was an episode later in the show's run that was meant to be a backdoor pilot for an Elmyra spinoff as if anybody would want to watch such a thing. They introduced a bunch of family members for her that I don't think were ever seen again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07TicoKEC10&t=45s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How was this not a joke or one off skit? :psyduck:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

J-Spot posted:

That reminds me that there was an episode later in the show's run that was meant to be a backdoor pilot for an Elmyra spinoff as if anybody would want to watch such a thing. They introduced a bunch of family members for her that I don't think were ever seen again.

From what I remember they did backdoor pilots for Elmyra like twice in fact

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

J-Spot posted:

That was a weird episode. The archives and the mysterious voice guiding Babs was creepy, and then as a demonstration of how funny the Honey cartoons were, some people laugh until they explode, which just seemed grisly. Two-Tone Town was better.

And then the central point that classic cartoons didn't have any female leads for Babs to follow was mostly true, so they had to do a lot of twisting to make Honey the star of the Bosko cartoons in addition to making them some kind of dog people because what they actually were might've been a bit racist.

Although then the Animaniacs seem like they're the same "species" as whatever Bosko and Honey were revised into, so it sorta makes them fit into the idea of cartoon history that they were forming?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that guy who was obsessed with Babs Bunny and stalked Tress MacNeille still alive? If I were her, I’d make a Warner attorney check before coming back.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Zeether posted:

At least Kennedy isn't around to gently caress up the animation anymore

Ted Kennedy?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So after having only heard the Hooty version, I listened to the original version of Little Miss Perfect, and... yep. That's Amity, right there.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 30, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was a weird episode. The archives and the mysterious voice guiding Babs was creepy, and then as a demonstration of how funny the Honey cartoons were, some people laugh until they explode, which just seemed grisly. Two-Tone Town was better.

And then the central point that classic cartoons didn't have any female leads for Babs to follow was mostly true, so they had to do a lot of twisting to make Honey the star of the Bosko cartoons in addition to making them some kind of dog people because what they actually were might've been a bit racist.

Although then the Animaniacs seem like they're the same "species" as whatever Bosko and Honey were revised into, so it sorta makes them fit into the idea of cartoon history that they were forming?

Speaking of, I wonder if the upcoming reboot will include Lola (preferably the good version from The Looney Tunes Show)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Macaluso posted:

Electric Phantasm posted:

How was this not a joke or one off skit? :psyduck:

It's what the network wants, why bother to complain?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
People Making US Cartoons: "Oh wah! The WB is only airing japanese cartoons they only need to pay some bob-a-job three pickles and a chicken to bash together into something that they can air (and only just in the case of Cardcaptor Sakura)!"

Also People Making US Cartoons: (Making Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that guy who was obsessed with Babs Bunny and stalked Tress MacNeille still alive? If I were her, I’d make a Warner attorney check before coming back.
I had to look this up and :stare:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just started watching the original run of Animaniacs because I haven't seen it since it aired. A funny moment that's only really funny because of how badly it aged due to irony, where Yakko complains that (after turning their meeting Otto Scratchensniff into a brief gameshow pastiche) it is a terrible game show because no one wins anything and they'd be lucky to be on the air for one week. After over a decade of british panel shows, the relevance of that joke is shot. Also I saw a clip of I'm Mad, one of their skits where Otto takes them to a carnival and the journey is hellish for him, and didn't realise until then that Otto isn't just a psychiatrist for them - he's sometimes kind of a father figure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I Am Fowl posted:

Ted Kennedy?

Kennedy Cartoons, one of the animation studios who worked on Tiny Toons and a number of other shows, and who is probably responsible for some of the worst-looking episodes.

Also infamous for the Kennedy Kick Dance, as parodied on OK KO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_HW7ozM9I

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Oh, yeah, I remember wondering at one point why every single character always dance the same way, regardless of what music is playing, and why the cheeks were so wide. Another thing is that sometimes the cartoon bit they were parodying didn't even occur that frequently in the original cartoon, like the one about their eyes popping out of their sockets to become the size of their bodies. Honestly, I mainly remember the cringe moments like the "teach Hampton how to rap" episode where he responds by trying to gift wrap

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Countblanc posted:

Kennedy Cartoons, one of the animation studios who worked on Tiny Toons and a number of other shows, and who is probably responsible for some of the worst-looking episodes.

Also infamous for the Kennedy Kick Dance, as parodied on OK KO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_HW7ozM9I

I immediately associate this with a Pup Named Scooby Doo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never really put it together that weird little dance kept showing up, although I think a little of it may be reusing animation cels. It's sort of just a jumble of indistinct movement. Like the peanuts dance is similarly weird as a dance, but at least it's visually clear what the characters are doing. There's a thing that I've noticed with a lot of early 90s cartoons where they've gotten the budget for way higher framerates than previous decades of TV animation, and they just can't stop moving and squashing and stretching to the point that it's not even really clear what's happening.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

I immediately associate this with a Pup Named Scooby Doo.

Speaking of they really need to bring a grown up Red Herring back for a future Scooby Doo thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of they really need to bring a grown up Red Herring back for a future Scooby Doo thing.

Him and Shaggy's girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf definitely top the list of characters that should show up in a movie someday(the Grimwood Girls too but theyre the kind of thing you'd have to center a whole movie around, not just as a cameo or guest star)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've heard several times that one of the (more minor) reasons the creators of Tiny Toons decided to cancel the show was the high number of letters they got wherein people talked about how much they wanted to have sex with the characters. anybody know if that's the case? because yikesaroo

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

https://twitter.com/plantationgreat/status/12129293756796928?s=20

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

MonsterEnvy posted:

A Scooby Laff-A-Lympics movie where Red Herring is trying to wreck the event as the ghost of the Dread Baron.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ZixTheYeti posted:

A Scooby Laff-A-Lympics movie where Red Herring is trying to wreck the event as the ghost of the Dread Baron.

The whole point of Red Herring is that he's never actually the ghost despite Fred's paranoia

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

drrockso20 posted:

The whole point of Red Herring is that he's never actually the ghost despite Fred's paranoia

Except when he doesn’t suspect him. Which if he was a background character, he wouldn’t even be on Fred’s radar. He could be the intern to the producer or a backstage handler.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

He was once, and that was the episode where Fred was making a conscious effort not to accuse him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

He was once, and that was the episode where Fred was making a conscious effort not to accuse him.

True, that was the exception that proves the rule though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Funky Valentine posted:

also, red was trying to hide his efforts to do something nice and considerate.