Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Judging from interviews, nobody at Disney thought anyone paid attention to the Disney Afternoon shows in the first place, so they've got a long history of being completely delusional.

I hope I live long enough to see Disney kill the ducks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Judging from interviews, nobody at Disney thought anyone paid attention to the Disney Afternoon shows in the first place, so they've got a long history of being completely delusional.

I hope I live long enough to see Disney kill the ducks again.

"People watch the channel started by the Walt Disney Company for cartoons?!

... impossible, now let's go greenlight some more abysmal 3 camera sitcoms"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

That seems to be a trend with a lot of their shows.

Disney XD is basically what Boomerang is for CN. It's a place they can send shows that aren't getting high enough ratings to squeeze a few last dollars out without having to take up space on their flagship station. Moving an ongoing show to XD or Boomerang is basically a pre-cancellation move so this shouldn't have been surprising.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont think the cancellation is because animation is more expensive than live action, the pandemic kind of brutally destroyed a lot of live-action productions

plus they have a bunch of cartoons in the works, 5 new animated series in 2021 (moon girl, the ghost and molly mcgee, monsters at work, mickey mouse funhouse, proud family sequel), and they also have darkwing duck in production, picked up amphibia season 3 in june, and debuted wonderful world of mickey mouse this past month. this is probably the most animation disney TV has put out in years. then there's the fate of owl house s3, big city greens s3, dunno about those

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't Disney XD evolve from Toon Disney?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Disney XD is basically what Boomerang is for CN. It's a place they can send shows that aren't getting high enough ratings to squeeze a few last dollars out without having to take up space on their flagship station. Moving an ongoing show to XD or Boomerang is basically a pre-cancellation move so this shouldn't have been surprising.

The thing is though, they specifically asked to be moved to XD, because there’s apparently a level of freedom they get to have there that they don’t on the main channel, and they were afraid airing on the main channel would screw up the airing order.

https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/626457479853785088/because-of-how-the-pandemic-extended-the-hiatus/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't it all kinda moot since people watch these shows online these days?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Funky Valentine posted:

Didn't Disney XD evolve from Toon Disney?

I believe the idea for XD is to aim for a slightly older audience than the regular Disney channel.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also think the way Kate Micucci plays Velma is a bit too abrasive to carry the whole movie like they were trying. I think she had a different, more energetic delivery in Be Cool Scooby Doo.
I haven't seen the movie, but is the delivery different or is it the same and it just doesn't feel the same without BCSD's specific characterization for the other members of the gang ? You know, hyperactive, (very) quirky Daphne ; control freak, middle-aged dad in a teenager's body Fred ; cowardly, gluttonous, master of positive assertion Shaggy ; cowardly, gluttonous, smarter and slightly meaner Scooby ?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but TV is still a good means of content distribution

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

True, and Disney doesn't care about TV ratings. But the thing is, if the primary demographic for the show isn't watching it online either and all the social media buzz is from adults and other periphery demographics, and Disney TVA leadership is looking at how many union-mandated raises they'd have to give for season four, then it's not really a surprise that they decided to end it at three.

I don't think they have a current policy about it (they used to, for syndication reasons IIRC), but Disney seems pretty content with about three seasons. I figure four didn't work out so great with Star Vs. and other recent examples, so unless a show absolutely lights the world on fire I think most of Disney TVA's slate will be three seasons max for the foreseeable future.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man on Facebook I see Disney announced a Disney+ Rescue Rangers movie and then I find out they announced a ton of poo poo when I went to their twitter

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337186375154733058

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337190708705423361

Just click through either of these tweets to see more

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I am loathe to subscribe to another streaming service but the zootopia + and the what if series is making this so tempting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zootopia+ is a streaming service within the Disney+ streaming service that you have to pay extra for.

Furries keep Disney's coffers full for the next fifty years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

can we stop with the "it's a live action film with CG characters superimposed" trend

do the rescue rangers have to help a plucky 20 year old deal with an evil zookeeper/museum owner/park manager probably played by john cleese that needs the upcoming gala to go just perfectly

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's kinda hard to get excited about their upcoming series when they've just said that they're still sticking with their 3 season rule so they're still not really taking TV seriously on a corporate level.

It's interesting that they're making a Buzz Lightyear movie, but I wonder if they're going to bother with the extra level of fiction where this is the fiction of the show within Toy Story. Also I kinda expect them to bulldoze over the Buzz Lightyear show, which I can't say makes me interested. Disney's franchise expansions are messy and confused and constantly stepping on their own feet.

I guess Tiana and Moana are trying to recapture the success of Tangled, which It'd be interesting if they make that many aesthetic and stylistic choices. Moana as a movie was already a disconnected series of events that would probably be better served by an episodic format, but I don't know how you would build more on Princess and the Frog. It might be asking for trouble if they try leaning more into life in the early 20th century south but don't have plans to portray racism.

I have no interest in the Rescue Rangers as a concept, but I do have a lot of interest in John Mulaney getting more work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The 7th Guest posted:

can we stop with the "it's a live action film with CG characters superimposed" trend

do the rescue rangers have to help a plucky 20 year old deal with an evil zookeeper/museum owner/park manager probably played by john cleese that needs the upcoming gala to go just perfectly

In fairness, Rescue Rangers is probably the one franchise where this way of doing it is appropriate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Of loving course they're still making Little Mermaid. I thought Mulan's mediocre/bad reception might put a dent in Disney's mission to redo every animated thing they've ever made, but clearly nothing will stop the Mouse's reign of terror.

They should just go ahead and greenlight live action Moana while the Rock is still in his prime.

Funky Valentine posted:

Zootopia+ is a streaming service within the Disney+ streaming service that you have to pay extra for.

Furries keep Disney's coffers full for the next fifty years.

They already were, ever since Robin Hood

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

Of loving course they're still making Little Mermaid. I thought Mulan's mediocre/bad reception might put a dent in Disney's mission to redo every animated thing they've ever made, but clearly nothing will stop the Mouse's reign of terror.
They don't seem to be taking out all the parts of Little Mermaid people liked so it's different from Mulan in that respect.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting that they're making a Buzz Lightyear movie, but I wonder if they're going to bother with the extra level of fiction where this is the fiction of the show within Toy Story. Also I kinda expect them to bulldoze over the Buzz Lightyear show, which I can't say makes me interested. Disney's franchise expansions are messy and confused and constantly stepping on their own feet.

Tbf, if they do stick to the fiction within a fiction, they could spin it as explicitly being a reboot in-universe, which is a direction I'd probably be alright with.

Anyway, wasn't there already a Big Hero 6 show, like, not that long ago? Strange that they'd go back to that well so soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Tbf, if they do stick to the fiction within a fiction, they could spin it as explicitly being a reboot in-universe, which is a direction I'd probably be alright with.

Anyway, wasn't there already a Big Hero 6 show, like, not that long ago? Strange that they'd go back to that well so soon.

Isn't the Big Hero 6 show technically still going? Or did that end a little while back?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Do you folks think that Disney can be trusted to portray New Orleans in the 20s with a black protagonist? I have my doubts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's kinda hard to get excited about their upcoming series when they've just said that they're still sticking with their 3 season rule so they're still not really taking TV seriously on a corporate level.

I don't think that the problem is that they don't take it seirously, I think the problem is that they just don't want to pay people the extras they would be owed for seasons from 4 onwards. Or maybe they just hate unions and don't want them to win out of pettiness, because, lest we forget, Disney is straight up evil.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Well the show is called Baymax! So it could just be Baymax staring directly at the screen providing the audience emotional and mental support.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TwoPair posted:

Didn't Mulan still make a ton of money despite pretty much everyone agreeing that it sucks?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was loving rad and I can't believe they just completely forgot about it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zeether posted:

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was loving rad and I can't believe they just completely forgot about it

Apparently John Lasseter hated that show cause it was pretty much done entirely without Pixar's involvement except for the CGI they contributed to the opening

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't believe they're casting some loser hollywood actor instead of Tim Allen or Patrick Warburton.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you folks think that Disney can be trusted to portray New Orleans in the 20s with a black protagonist? I have my doubts.

10s, actually. :v:

I wonder if part of the idea is to tie in with how they're re-theming Splash Mountain to erase the memory of the 1984 movie Splash.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't think that the problem is that they don't take it seirously, I think the problem is that they just don't want to pay people the extras they would be owed for seasons from 4 onwards. Or maybe they just hate unions and don't want them to win out of pettiness, because, lest we forget, Disney is straight up evil.

When the biggest media company in the country who have the whole business model of building a franchise that just stretches things out forever for all time are very conspicuously averse to shelling out a couple bucks to extend a successful project because of some old rule from before they were the biggest media company in the country, that seems like a sign that the company at large doesn't care much about this little subdivision.

Also by my understanding, they get most of their revenue from the theme parks, and that's been the biggest driver of their whole IP katamari damacy thing, and I don't think I've ever heard about them taking their own home-grown IPs from TV cartoons to use in the parks. Maybe I don't know enough about the theme parks though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Summer Camp Island is back, hooray!!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

When the biggest media company in the country who have the whole business model of building a franchise that just stretches things out forever for all time are very conspicuously averse to shelling out a couple bucks to extend a successful project because of some old rule from before they were the biggest media company in the country, that seems like a sign that the company at large doesn't care much about this little subdivision.

Also by my understanding, they get most of their revenue from the theme parks, and that's been the biggest driver of their whole IP katamari damacy thing, and I don't think I've ever heard about them taking their own home-grown IPs from TV cartoons to use in the parks. Maybe I don't know enough about the theme parks though.

Parks is actually second to media. Media revenue sourcing being defined as:

quote:

a) Affiliate fees - Fees for "ESPN, Freeform, NatGeo, etc". from distributors & other service providers

b) Advertising - Revenue from ads on "ESPN, Fox, and other Disney networks".

c) TV/SVOD distribution - Fees from the use of Disney's television programs and productions

With all things programming, without actual numbers on ratings and costs, we don't actually know how successful the show is Gross or Net. There's not really good information to determine how financially successful a show is without digging into filings. Popularity does nominally corelate with revenue, but it's unclear as to the actual dollars and cents of the project and the projected revenue if a 4th season was greenlit versus the cost of retaining the cast. There's also likely internal issues at play as well since that division is likely separate from the Marvel and Star Wars brand divisions so they don't get as much leeway on gambling on another series's 4th season in light of previous failures.

But this is all speculation.

Parks is its own large division that's separate from programming with its own head and hierarchy just as the programming and sales divisions have. Their own decision making on how to approach hospitality and parks stuff is basically its own thing and the IPs Disney has are generally more a resource that they can pull from to increase revenue such that they're more incentivised to focus on more broadly and internationally popular things across multiple demopgrahic segments rather than drilling into particular focuses. The main US parks would likely never see a specifically Ducktales themed section or ride, though they might have at least a single place in the Paris park/resort to try and woo the more local European segment since the US parks are more internationally focused compared to the non-US parks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can't believe they're casting some loser hollywood actor instead of Tim Allen or Patrick Warburton.

I wonder if part of the idea is to tie in with how they're re-theming Splash Mountain to erase the memory of the 1984 movie Splash.

Actually I'm pretty sure Princess & The Frog is set in the late 20's or early 30's, Tiana's dad was a WW1 veteran(we see a pic of him in uniform at one point)

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Zeether posted:

that show was like a kid's version of futurama and it owned so much. I hate how there isn't anywhere online to buy official copies of it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Isn't the Big Hero 6 show technically still going? Or did that end a little while back?
No official word yet, but it seems that season 3 will be the last. We're still missing a few episodes of that season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

No official word yet, but it seems that season 3 will be the last. We're still missing a few episodes of that season.

Is the Big Hero 6 show any good?

Also, am I wrong or weren’t there some murmurings about a possible film sequel to the movie itself at some point?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

Also, am I wrong or weren’t there some murmurings about a possible film sequel to the movie itself at some point?
Kingdom Hearts 3?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Didn't Mulan still make a ton of money despite pretty much everyone agreeing that it sucks?

Impossible to tell since streaming services never release numbers (well, every other one doesn't, I haven't heard anything about D+ being different) aside from them going "[hit property] is really popular!" which you could say about literally anything when you don't have to back it up.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This sounds like you're dissing my boy Patrick Warburton and I won't stand for it sir.

quote:

This sounds extremely likely since Princess and the Frog wasn't nearly as popular as Disney originally wanted it to be despite being a hit on release. It'd be good to have patrons go "Oh this is themed after The Princess and the Frog/Tiana" instead of "oh it's uh... dammit I know this one, it had the frog..."

edit: I found out reading the wiki article for PatF that apparently there was a plan for like, a 2D hand drawn movie every 2 years or so and that plan was killed when PatF merely made a lot of money instead of All The Money. gently caress, man, darkest timeline indeed.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3?

I know that but I thought I’d heard somewhere there were plans being talked about for another movie. I could be wrong though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In other news, there's a new Winx series in the making and a trailer just dropped.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22166065/fate-the-winx-saga-trailer-release-date

I don't really know anything about the series, but hearing from people who actually do care, it's kind of a betrayal of what the franchise used to be.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1337226305809465345

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't really parse hollywood numbers, but as I understand, it did poorly. Like it made a profit, but drastically underperformed.

Which maybe the particular way it was distributed could also be at fault.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I only watched Winx once or twice, but yeah that is absolutely different from what I remember. Like the original show was some animated kids show that aired on Kids' WB if that gives you an idea.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Is the Big Hero 6 show any good?
I really like it, especially the first season and the first arc of the season. After that, I still like it but perhaps wouldn't recommend it as much ?

What I really liked in the first season is the villains, the big bad is a super-serious, very intense genius schemer who surrounds himself mostly with goofy, silly, yet very powerful and efficient henchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

I really like it, especially the first season and the first arc of the season. After that, I still like it but perhaps wouldn't recommend it as much ?

What I really liked in the first season is the villains, the big bad is a super-serious, very intense genius schemer who surrounds himself mostly with goofy, silly, yet very powerful and efficient henchmen.

What’s wrong with the the other two seasons then?