Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut Butter posted:

Just caught up with Amphibia. Main thought: I'm really impressed by how much of a step up season 2 has been so far. I started watching the show hot off the back of finishing Infinity Train and Owl House and was initially a little underwhelmed by Amphibia in comparison, but now I'm absolutely buzzing for it to come back in March.

Edit: any recommendations? Suddenly got a lot of time on my hands and looking for cool shows I might have missed. Serial plots, social progressiveness and good art styles are all a big plus.

Kid Cosmic fits the bill, and it's only 10 episodes (so far) so it's tightly serialized.

I'd also highly recommend Ducktales 2017, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, and OK KO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Peanut Butter posted:

Just caught up with Amphibia. Main thought: I'm really impressed by how much of a step up season 2 has been so far. I started watching the show hot off the back of finishing Infinity Train and Owl House and was initially a little underwhelmed by Amphibia in comparison, but now I'm absolutely buzzing for it to come back in March.

Edit: any recommendations? Suddenly got a lot of time on my hands and looking for cool shows I might have missed. Serial plots, social progressiveness and good art styles are all a big plus.

If you haven't rewatched them recently(or missed them entirely somehow) I'd say Gargoyles and Samurai Jack would be good choices

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

If you haven't rewatched them recently(or missed them entirely somehow) I'd say Gargoyles and Samurai Jack would be good choices

You’ll probably want to stop the former after the second season though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

You’ll probably want to stop the former after the second season though

First episode of season three but yes

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butter posted:

Not sure what you've already seen but:

-Infinity Train is A+ and needs a 4th season god damnit!
-Kid Cosmic is the current series I won't shut up about
-Over the Garden Wall is a classic and very worth watching
-Justice League/Unlimited starts episodic but in Unlimited gets a pretty good plot going.
-Wakfu takes about half a season to find it's footing but once it gets going it's great. Nox randomly becomes one of the best villains ever out of nowhere 2/3rds through Season 1. The computer animation gets better I swear.
-Dofus is a side story to Wakfu and has an accompanying movie. Both are fantastic (Better than Wakfu in my opinion) and are highly recommended if you can find them. You don't need to have watched Wakfu to follow it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Not sure what you've already seen but:

-Infinity Train is A+ and needs a 4th season god damnit!
-Kid Cosmic is the current series I won't shut up about
-Over the Garden Wall is a classic and very worth watching
-Justice League/Unlimited starts episodic but in Unlimited gets a pretty good plot going.
-Wakfu takes about half a season to find it's footing but once it gets going it's great. Nox randomly becomes one of the best villains ever out of nowhere 2/3rds through Season 1. The computer animation gets better I swear.
-Dofus is a side story to Wakfu and has an accompanying movie. Both are fantastic (Better than Wakfu in my opinion) and are highly recommended if you can find them. You don't need to have watched Wakfu to follow it.

Is there anywhere to watch Dofus besides ye old pirate ways? I know they removed it off VRV awhile ago right before I could watch it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For recommendations, there's Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has similar pacing to Amphibia except instead of Amphibia's go-nowhere episodes being kinda relaxing, Rise gets your adrenaline up.

drrockso20 posted:

Samurai Jack is fun and has beautiful art, but it's definitely not a serial narrative. The first few episodes have some connecting material, but they don't really lead anywhere.

Just feel like I have to clarify even though I'm probably more tolerant of shows puttering around and not addressing the overall plot than most. Especially with Steven Universe.

I guess a good classic recommendation for a cartoon with a plot is Avatar the Last Airbender.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

For recommendations, there's Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has similar pacing to Amphibia except instead of Amphibia's go-nowhere episodes being kinda relaxing, Rise gets your adrenaline up.

Samurai Jack is fun and has beautiful art, but it's definitely not a serial narrative. The first few episodes have some connecting material, but they don't really lead anywhere.

Just feel like I have to clarify even though I'm probably more tolerant of shows puttering around and not addressing the overall plot than most. Especially with Steven Universe.

I guess a good classic recommendation for a cartoon with a plot is Avatar the Last Airbender.

I was leaning more towards the request for good looking shows with that one

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Desperate Character posted:

Is there anywhere to watch Dofus besides ye old pirate ways? I know they removed it off VRV awhile ago right before I could watch it

I don't think so which is some bullshit.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Is the Dofus show the one in which Kerubim is the main character ?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Star vs.?

She-Ra?

Edit: didn't notice there was a next page already

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Star vs.?

She-Ra?

Edit: didn't notice there was a next page already

I haven’t watched it myself but the more recent She-Ra series looks interesting to me (particularly in regards to the relationship they set up between Adora and Catra). Is the rest of the show decent as well?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

I haven’t watched it myself but the more recent She-Ra series looks interesting to me (particularly in regards to the relationship they set up between Adora and Catra). Is the rest of the show decent as well?

I found it a bit uneven (the tone can be kinda all over the place) but there's a lot to enjoy, especially with the Horde. But I do just love dysfunctional evil organisations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Larryb posted:

I think it's excellent. It's amazing what they were able to build from the bones of a dead toy commercial from the 80s.

What I really loved at the end (so don't read this) is that every single character from season one has been at least partially redeemed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds good, to be honest my knowledge of the He-Man/She-Ra series mostly comes from osmosis but this one seems like it might be worth checking out.

Are there any other shows in the franchise that are worth seeing (or anything that’s currently upcoming)?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Larryb posted:

Sounds good, to be honest my knowledge of the He-Man/She-Ra series mostly comes from osmosis but this one seems like it might be worth checking out.

Are there any other shows in the franchise that are worth seeing (or anything that’s currently upcoming)?

I don't think so. I had never watched either show either which is fine because most of the influence seems to be names and powers.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The original He-Man/She-Ra are in the so bad it's fun to watch range, though having some nostalgia for the franchise would help. They have absolutely amazing background art, with wild color choices(the artist that did most of them was colorblind).

There was an 2002 He-Man reboot that was firmly ok. It went beyond the pure episodic toy commercial of the original. Characters had a bit more characterization. It doesn't really stand up to modern serialized cartoons though. It's something I would watch again if it showed up on netflix, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down otherwise.

There's also Masters Of The Universe: Revelation coming up. There's some interesting casting(Mark Hamill as Skeletor), but I'm not sure Kevin Smith is who I want writing He-Man. People have said his comic book runs have been good, so maybe it will be more along the lines of that rather than Clerks in Eternia.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

Is the Dofus show the one in which Kerubim is the main character ?

Yes that's the one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

torgo posted:

The original He-Man/She-Ra are in the so bad it's fun to watch range, though having some nostalgia for the franchise would help. They have absolutely amazing background art, with wild color choices(the artist that did most of them was colorblind).

There was an 2002 He-Man reboot that was firmly ok. It went beyond the pure episodic toy commercial of the original. Characters had a bit more characterization. It doesn't really stand up to modern serialized cartoons though. It's something I would watch again if it showed up on netflix, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down otherwise.

There's also Masters Of The Universe: Revelation coming up. There's some interesting casting(Mark Hamill as Skeletor), but I'm not sure Kevin Smith is who I want writing He-Man. People have said his comic book runs have been good, so maybe it will be more along the lines of that rather than Clerks in Eternia.

Did the 2002 He-Man actually get a proper ending or was it cancelled prematurely (from what I hear it didn't last long at any rate)?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember being amazed at the premiere of the new He-Man and then immediately losing interest at like the second episode.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Did the 2002 He-Man actually get a proper ending or was it cancelled prematurely (from what I hear it didn't last long at any rate)?

Cancelled without finishing the story. There might have been some comic book continuation, I can't remember.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Thanks for the recs guys! Got through all of Kid Cosmic today, I loved how fully it delivered on its premise. Have been thinking about rewatching Samurai Jack for a while, I never finished the revival but it would be nice to have that closure even though it's a little iffy.

Pakled posted:

I'd also highly recommend Ducktales 2017, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, and OK KO.

Just watched the first episode of Star and I liked it a lot, but I have a couple of questions- does the series have a final conclusion or was it left hanging? Are all 4 seasons good, and does the formula change at all?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Peanut Butter posted:

Just watched the first episode of Star and I liked it a lot, but I have a couple of questions- does the series have a final conclusion or was it left hanging? Are all 4 seasons good, and does the formula change at all?

The entire tone of the show shifts with season 2, the final stretch of the final season including the finale is... contentious, but it does wrap things up (to the point that I'd imagine people going "wait what" to the fact that the crew were down for doing another season)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The entire tone of the show shifts with season 2, the final stretch of the final season including the finale is... contentious, but it does wrap things up (to the point that I'd imagine people going "wait what" to the fact that the crew were down for doing another season)

It's unconfirmed as far as I can tell (and likely will forever remain so) so take this with a grain of salt, but apparently Daron Nefcy wanted a season 5 and was told no by Disney TVA leadership. The team wasn't too happy about it so they begrudgingly wrote a relatively conclusive ending for season 4, but with just enough left hanging that many of the fans seemed to believe they should and easily could continue the story with another season.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

torgo posted:

I mean I totally would watch "Clerks in Eternia" but yeah I get ya

Peanut Butter posted:

Thanks for the recs guys! Got through all of Kid Cosmic today, I loved how fully it delivered on its premise. Have been thinking about rewatching Samurai Jack for a while, I never finished the revival but it would be nice to have that closure even though it's a little iffy.

The recent video game for Samurai Jack apparently fixes the ending for the show

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

To say it's just contentious is a enormous understatement, people are still making jokes about Star committing Multiversal Genocide to this day

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said, as a newbie to the franchise as far as actually watching it goes, are He-Man and She-Ra in continuity with one another or are they just two separate shows that happen to share a similar universe?

If the former. does anyone from the He-Man side of things pop up in the Netflix She-Ra show?

In other words, would I be ok going into the Netflix series with only a passing knowledge of the franchise?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 14, 2021

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Larryb posted:

That said, as a newbie to the franchise as far as actually watching it goes, are He-Man and She-Ra in continuity with one another or are they just two separate shows that happen to share a similar universe?

If the former. does anyone from the He-Man side of things pop up in the Netflix She-Ra show?

In other words, would I be ok going into the Netflix series with only a passing knowledge of the franchise?

The Netflix She-Ra show has no He-Man ties afaik and is a standalone reimagining. I thoroughly enjoyed it with no prior knowledge of either franchise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Netflix She-Ra only has a few very light references to the He-Man side (a couple of names/lore things mostly), and that's mostly because those elements were part of the original show due to the spin-off nature. It's a full reboot that doesn't assume any knowledge of the original though, and takes a very different spin on a bunch of the aspects it is carrying over.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/WeAreMel/status/1360647931204927491?s=20

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The best primer on She-Ra is this review article of the original Evil Horde.

Everyone should at least check it out to learn about the time that Skeletor baked Hordak a cursed pie.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Peanut Butter posted:

seconding Avatar: TLA and justice league/unlimited. if serialized shows are your thing, those two should be required viewing as they were both the top 2 shows of the 00s in my humble opinion.

torgo posted:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember being amazed at the premiere of the new He-Man and then immediately losing interest at like the second episode.

i touched upon it briefly like 2 dozen pages back, but it's kind of hard to put into words how meh the new series was. i find it legit surprising cause it had the ingredients to make something spectacular: excellent VA cast, utterly beautiful character designs and animation (arguably the best for an action adventure series in the 00s), music made by a composer with an amazing pedigree, etc. and yet, the show could never hold my interest. it just felt really vanilla and mediocre

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder how those Redwall series are going to work. A movie for the original makes sense. It can easily be trimmed down, maybe remove a couple of Cluny's failed attacks that did not result in anything changing.

The Martin the Warrior series can probably adapt the books that started him, maybe the one about his dad as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Redwall always felt like it belonged somewhere in the 80s/90s talking animal movie trends. I get the feeling they're probably just going to use names and locations and completely change the themes to what's convenient. But then again, we could see a whole premise deconstruction since that's kinda in vogue lately with cartoons, Star Vs, Steven Universe, She-Ra and all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Redwall was not really like those 90s talking animal movie trends. It was more heroic fantasy but the characters happen to woodland critters instead of people. (Who probably don't exist.) Generally about this one Abbey that keeps getting attacked by ambitious warlords and pirates. Heck in later books a fair number of villains go out of their way to avoid provoking the Abbey as they have heard of all the warlords that keep killing themselves running into it's walls. (Only three warlords ever managed to even get inside the walls.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I dropped off of Star vs. sometimes in season 3 but I still heard the rumblings of people disappointed with how it continued and how it ended.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I liked the original Redwall series well enough when I was younger, but I'm not sure if it holds up to a rewatch.

I'm interested to see how the netflix version goes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's got a good name behind it at least, if the whole Over the Garden Wall crew gets on it there could be something neat there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dropped off of Star vs. sometimes in season 3 but I still heard the rumblings of people disappointed with how it continued and how it ended.

I still mostly like season 4 and don't have as big an issue with the finale as a lot of people but honestly you probably made the right move. S4 starts to do the (annoyingly common) thing of trying to use fantasy poo poo for a race allegory and it is pretty clumsy at it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

It gets so bad. There's a lot of good jokes, but the overall story loses that weird, freaky dangerous edge the show had back in season 2. The way it could do an episode just about Ludo alone, that sort of slightly experimental energy? That's gone too.

The message is sweet, and little too sweet because the threat's been washed out, and the fjnale makes some mistakes, but it just feels like a bunch of low stakes stuff happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

S4 starts to do the (annoyingly common) thing of trying to use fantasy poo poo for a race allegory and it is pretty clumsy at it.

That's totally there softly in season 1 and goes super hard in season 2 lol.

I got to season 4, but the episode that resolved the Blood Moon left a sour, foul taste in my mouth and I had heard about the disappointment so I figured I should stop there.