Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More a kid's movie than a kid's show but Arlo the Aligator boy is out on Netflix and is pretty fun. My only real gripes are that the hillbilly villains are dumb and 2 dimensional (but also barely in the movie so who cares) and the bus full of side characters is a bit undercooked for how important they're supposed to be. Towards the end they're suddenly going "we're a family now kid!" and I'm like "when did THAT happen!? You sung one song and gave him a ride to the city". Not huge problems though and on the whole it's super charming and fun in addition to being pretty to look at. Definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I had never even heard of Infinity Train until today, and I watched all 4 seasons. Insanely good!! And sad there's no more coming :(

S2 was my favorite. Alan Dracula rules

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1383179585676795907

Hrm.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
They've updated the article, apparently it's not a new animated series, but a "fan-lead discussion series" ?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

would really like it if they just laid avatar to rest at this point

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Despite the creator apparently being something of an rear end in a top hat I did sort of like The Dragon Prince (not sure when it’s ever coming back though)

But yeah, while a new series set in a more modern age could be cool I also wouldn’t be too disappointed if they just let it die with Korra either (though Nickelodeon did apparently buy the rights to make more Avatar shows a little while back)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 18, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Considering how many Millennials cite it as a formative part of their childhood, Nick would be dumb to not try to cash in on the nostalgia for it at some point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm deffo down for some smaller projects in the Avatar world. The setting is really cool.

Saw the casting call for this discussion series. I'm ready for it to be extremely ignorable and maybe have two or three clips go viral about some really dumb takes in it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what's a 'discussion series'? like a...podcast?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Amphibia is really great. Is next week the finale? It's giving me some big finale vibes. I'm glad that the girls are friends again. And nothing bad will happen there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We have two more weeks of episodes I think. And Sasha has basically steamrolled any chance she'd ever of had of making up with Anne and Marcy. She's directly betrayed them twice already, they aren't going to give her a third chance, nor should they. I'm hoping that when the girls return home, it will be basically to put Sasha under house arrest for Amphibia's safety.

If they are going the more likely route though she's gonna have a LOT of work to do in season 3 to make up for all of her bullshit.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 18, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Larryb posted:

Despite the creator apparently being something of an rear end in a top hat I did sort of like The Dragon Prince (not sure when it’s ever coming back though)

I hate how the creators of Avatar keep getting thrown under the bus here; Aaron Ehasz did not create Avatar; he was a writer on it. As far as we know the creators of Avatar are clean.

But anyway I doubt what we're getting is anything more than a few environment-related shorts at best. More likely it's like a clip show or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

I hate how the creators of Avatar keep getting thrown under the bus here; Aaron Ehasz did not create Avatar; he was a writer on it. As far as we know the creators of Avatar are clean.

Yeah, Ehasz is a PoS who treats female employees like their his PAs and babysitters. Also he (is? was?) an executive for Riot Games, which has a culture of bullshit and any self-respecting person with a choice (and he's got a choice) shouldn't throw their lot in with.

DiMartino and the other guy are good people AFAIK.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

But anyway I doubt what we're getting is anything more than a few environment-related shorts at best. More likely it's like a clip show or something.

I didn’t say he created Avatar, I said he created The Dragon Prince (unless I’m wrong about that too)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, we got some details about one of the new He-Man shows via a graphic novel scheduled to release in February of next year:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1338745492/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VX9YS7ZDR1MJSNPWZPBZ

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

BioEnchanted posted:

We have two more weeks of episodes I think. And Sasha has basically steamrolled any chance she'd ever of had of making up with Anne and Marcy. She's directly betrayed them twice already, they aren't going to give her a third chance, nor should they. I'm hoping that when the girls return home, it will be basically to put Sasha under house arrest for Amphibia's safety.

If they are going the more likely route though she's gonna have a LOT of work to do in season 3 to make up for all of her bullshit.

I'm assuming it's going to be a case where Grimes' betrayal goes off against Sasha's wishes or in a way she doesn't expect and Anne and Marcy are going to blame it on her. I also haven't ruled out the probability that Marcy might end up on the wrong side of this conflict since the creators have said Sprig is Anne's first healthy friendship and I feel like Marcy has seemed a bit too supportive and nice thus far to support that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mr Interweb posted:

what's a 'discussion series'? like a...podcast?

I'm guessing it'll be some VA being the moderator and a handful of fans talking about how much ATLA/LOK meant to them, and in broadstrokes discuss the themes/coolest bits.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

KingKalamari posted:

I'm assuming it's going to be a case where Grimes' betrayal goes off against Sasha's wishes or in a way she doesn't expect and Anne and Marcy are going to blame it on her. I also haven't ruled out the probability that Marcy might end up on the wrong side of this conflict since the creators have said Sprig is Anne's first healthy friendship and I feel like Marcy has seemed a bit too supportive and nice thus far to support that

I think part of my harshness is because I keep forgetting that the humans are basically still kids simply due to their height, (like 12-14 I think unless i'm misremembering and they're more mid-teens), so I'm judging them like i'd judge an adult as a result. Just because of how much taller they are than the other characters.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

We didn't think season 4 of Infinity Train was as good as the previous seasons. The animation took a big dip in quality, but the writing was pretty ho-hum as well. The passengers' issues weren't as compelling as previous seasons. The brief glimpses of the lore stood out like a sore thumb because they had no connection to the plot. They were brief, vague, and added nothing we didn't know. That character in the Art Gallery car raised some questions, but the show never returned to it. It doesn't diminish how good the first three seasons were, but it's a bummer for the show to go out like that.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I think part of my harshness is because I keep forgetting that the humans are basically still kids simply due to their height, (like 12-14 I think unless i'm misremembering and they're more mid-teens), so I'm judging them like i'd judge an adult as a result. Just because of how much taller they are than the other characters.

Anne was transported to Amphiba on her 13th birthday, if I'm not mistaken, I assume Sasha and Marcie are 12-13 as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Decided to marathon all of season 1 of Amphibia and I definitely should've started catching up sooner. Probably gonna binge the rest over the week and catch up.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Prairie Bus posted:

We didn't think season 4 of Infinity Train was as good as the previous seasons. The animation took a big dip in quality, but the writing was pretty ho-hum as well. The passengers' issues weren't as compelling as previous seasons. The brief glimpses of the lore stood out like a sore thumb because they had no connection to the plot. They were brief, vague, and added nothing we didn't know. That character in the Art Gallery car raised some questions, but the show never returned to it. It doesn't diminish how good the first three seasons were, but it's a bummer for the show to go out like that.

Apparently the creators made season 4 a lot lighter in tone because the anticipated 5th season (which was planned to be an entire movie!) was going to be a lot darker, so it would serve as a sort of palette cleanser. Of course, now the whole show has been cancelled :negative:

I would disagree that the glimpses of lore didn't add anything though. There was confirmation that if you don't improve yourself on the train you will literally grow old and die there. This was implied in earlier seasons but never stated outright. The Pig Baby Car also seemed to imply that a passenger could become a denizen, with the creepy cow 'mother' stating that the boys could become the new Pig Baby. When we saw One-One he was just 'One', and much more robotic and cold than either of his composite parts - the younger Amelia appeared to be trying to help him, rather than explictly overthrow him, convincing him to return all of the passenger's belongings. From Season 1 it's easy to assume that Amelia taking over the train was an entirely selfish act - this is probably still partly true but it now appears to be a little more complex. This 'One' doesn't show passengers a friendly welcome video like in Season 2, gives all passengers matching uniforms with shoes that he can literally lock in place at any time and doesn't seem particularly bothered if they live or die. In this light, it's not hard to see Amelia perhaps feeling justified in overthrowing him. Which only makes the loss of season 5 hit harder, as that would have focused on Amelia One/One-One and filled in the gaps between the brief glimpses we see of them in season 4.

Not that I think this makes your feelings wrong or anything - it's just a real shame the show hasn't been able to continue as Season 4 would probably work a lot better as part of a larger whole.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing about Sasha is whatever she's planning, she's doing it because she's gotten really into the world and her friendship with Grimes, which after season 1 where her issue was that she didn't really perceive the people of Amphibia as "real" is a big step up. And depending on how things go down, if King Andreas pulls his poo poo before Grimes, Sasha's betrayal will be heroic, and Marcy will be the one breaking from the group. And I gotta wonder how and if humble frogs will assert themselves when there's a war between salamanders and toads.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since the next episode involves the Plantars inviting multiple enemies to dinner according to the synopsis, that implies both Sasha AND Grimes will be invited. That could be good opportunity to lay groundwork for them developing a less antagonistic relationship in the long run, even if they don't end up working together until the end of season 3. Grimes has never been forced into a real social situation that he hasn't been in complete control of, so that could be interesting. Sasha would probably act as a bridge too because she clearly at least cares about Anne even if as far as she's aware she's in the middle of destroying the only real friendship she's ever had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally caught up to the most recent eps.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing about Sasha is whatever she's planning, she's doing it because she's gotten really into the world and her friendship with Grimes, which after season 1 where her issue was that she didn't really perceive the people of Amphibia as "real" is a big step up. And depending on how things go down, if King Andreas pulls his poo poo before Grimes, Sasha's betrayal will be heroic, and Marcy will be the one breaking from the group. And I gotta wonder how and if humble frogs will assert themselves when there's a war between salamanders and toads.

I don't think Marcy would break with the group if Andreas tries to pull off his plot. It hasn't been shown that she has the same sort of relationship that Sasha and Anne have had with their respective amphibians. There might definitely be a bit of fallout once the Toad's plan is revealed though it looks as though Sasha is having second thoughts about the deception already. But with the toads and Planters on stage as Andreas tries to enact his plan, things will probably be forgiven with the box probably blowing up in Andreas's face because the Blue Gem wasn't charged fully.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since the next episode is The dinner I could imagine that some kind of connection or something will be forged between Anne and Grimes, whether she says something insightful enough to impress him or maybe she calls him out in a way that makes him think about himself - then in the subsequent episodes things get out of hand, Anne ends up in some kind of trouble and Grimes comes to her rescue because "If I let anything happened to you Sasha would never forgive me.", being joined by Sasha, Marcy and the Plantars to help seal the deal when he turns out to be out of his depth on his own.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm betting Marcie and Sasha get sent home at the end of season 2 but Anne's not-fully-charged crystal misfires and she has to spend season 3 finding another way back.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I'm betting Marcie and Sasha get sent home at the end of season 2 but Anne's not-fully-charged crystal misfires and she has to spend season 3 finding another way back.

I’m betting that failing to charge the box properly was a good thing and will royally gently caress up whatever plan the king has.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

I’m betting that failing to charge the box properly was a good thing and will royally gently caress up whatever plan the king has.

I'm mostly guessing this and it explodes whatever the King is actually following down in the basement.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Finally caught up to the most recent eps.

I don't think Marcy would break with the group if Andreas tries to pull off his plot. It hasn't been shown that she has the same sort of relationship that Sasha and Anne have had with their respective amphibians. There might definitely be a bit of fallout once the Toad's plan is revealed though it looks as though Sasha is having second thoughts about the deception already. But with the toads and Planters on stage as Andreas tries to enact his plan, things will probably be forgiven with the box probably blowing up in Andreas's face because the Blue Gem wasn't charged fully.

Anne will simply impress with here knack for cooking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Midway through the dinner Grimes just openly sends a message calling off the attack and just goes "What? It's me, you should have seen that coming?! I was going to betray you, but I changed my mind, alright? Geez... Grow up..."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The trailer for the season showed Sasha surrendering to Anne during what looked like the attack on Newtopia so I do think she's probably going to somehow end up non-antagonistic to Anne. The dynamic getting reversed where Sasha is on her side and Marcy is against them would be a cool twist so that's what I'm betting on. Like someone said, we still need to see why Marcy was also a toxic friend to Anne outside of never realising her behavior stressed Anne out all the time.

Also Sasha really needs more screentime.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 22, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sasha and Grime remind me a lot of Star Vs the Forces of Evil's treatment of Ludo from season 2 onwards - being a character who exists mostly in the background but who gets focus episodes that simultaneously build up their stories while also further humanising them, so that when they do interact with the main characters we have context for ways the situations could go positively OR negatively because we know all their dimensions.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Having just watched the new Amphibia, can I just say I absolutely love Grime being super friendly yet still unnervingly intense around the Plantars and the other residents of Wartwood? It was also really nice getting a fun, low-stakes episode where everyone is happy before things inevitably get super heavy and messed up in the season finale?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Are you referring to the third temple, or have the next episodes already aired?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Sounds like a new episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll need to wait for tomorrow morning, as that's when the new eps will go up on my source for watching it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think the dynamic I really liked in the new Amphibia eps was how Grimes and Sasha had flipped social skills. Both of them are still angry disasters, but Grimes got much better at playing at politeness. Now that she's not in control, Sasha's left throwing temper tantrum that her social mastery is not working as well as she was used to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious if some of the moments with Grimes and the village/Plantars were genuine, or if all of it was affected. The cake after all wasn't a deliberate attack, more a cultural misunderstanding. I also like that Toad culture isn't ALL brutish, it runs the gamut between fighty and barbaric and thoughtful and gentle, so the toad bard that used to work with Grimes before him and his friend left feels less out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Finally got caught up with Amphibia! Despite liking the first season I put off watching the second season for a while, and only just binged through the whole thing. All in all, I really like what they did with this season—one of the best things about the show is the weird and wonderful setting, and putting Anne and the Plantars on the road was a fantastic creative choice. It was also great to see the characters continue to develop and evolve, with Anne in particularly standing out as being almost an entirely different person from where she started out at the beginning. It's a great show, and I'm disappointed with myself for putting off catching up with it for so long.

As to where the show goes from here—I think it's pretty likely at this point that Sasha and the toads are going to win. From a pure character arc perspective, the one thing that Sasha needs to learn if she's ever going to reconcile with Anne is that her selfish, controlling nature and obsession with winning at all costs is inherently destructive, and is the root cause of why her friends abandoned her. But for her to truly learn that lesson, chances are she's going to have to see what "winning" actually looks like, and reckon with whether putting herself back on top was worth the harm she's caused.

The real question is what's going to happen with Marcy. She and Anne have been working very well together thus far, but it wouldn't surprise me if something in the season finale served to split them up. My gut feeling is that she's going to end up joining King Andrias with whatever plot he's cooking up—Marcy has flourished the most of the three humans in Amphibia, and I could see her being susceptible to Andrias asking if she really wants to go home back to her normal, boring life, or if she wants to stay and continue to be a :krad: alchemist/rogue.

Suffice it to say, I don't think anyone's making it home next episode :v: