Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

So are these shows going to be available anywhere else?

Some of them are. OK KO's on Hulu, for instance. And some of em are available on the cartoon network site/app with a cable login. I think most of em aren't available from any other streaming service though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I wish I could remember where I saw it but apparently when Osamu Tezuka was trying to get Astro Boy made he essentially gave it away for a song plus merchandising rights under the assumption that once he'd proven animation could be profitable the networks would pay him a more standard rate. This did not happen and studios have been paying for it ever since.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah animation is unfortunately pretty bad it seems no matter where you go. Japan seems to have a handful of animators that get traded to every studio.

Also animation has to be one of the most thankless jobs I have ever seen.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I feel like animation suffers from a kind of similar thing as game dev where because it's something so many people have as their dream job, something they're super passionate about, studios/networks can easily shoulder young people with crushing workloads for terrible wages, and when most of them inevitably get burnt out and leave the industry, there's always a large number of younger, less jaded aspiring animators to take their place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Heh.

Heheh...

HeheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(That's $28,677.24/y btw)

don't get me wrong, I knew when I was typing my first post that the pay would be garbage (though I didn't bother to actually do the math like you did), I was just saying that at the end of the day, Japan's still making cartoons and actually releasing them instead of hiding them away like loving Gollum guarding the One Ring which seems to be Zaslav's goal.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 18, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suppose the real question is if you want to be an animator enough to risk being sent to the Isekai farms

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Animation has had issues regarding profitability in relation to the time and labor needed to make it since basically as long as it's existed, at least if you want to make anything of actual quality and not just Clutch Cargo tier stuff where it's a mere half step over being a slide show

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

Some of them are. OK KO's on Hulu, for instance. And some of em are available on the cartoon network site/app with a cable login. I think most of em aren't available from any other streaming service though.

Even then, Ianjq is saying that he doesn't know how long it'll remain on Hulu and to watch as soon as possible.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Man this is dire

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1560294527167893504?t=7InjWbajEUdQjQ_TILEY3g&s=19

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lol, people think being a show runner is some exalted position but as far as the money guys are concerned a director is just another office drone. Listening to them talk about their jobs is hilarious because they deal with a ton of the same banal middle management bullshit that I do, just, you know, entertainment industry-ishly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Lol, people think being a show runner is some exalted position but as far as the money guys are concerned a director is just another office drone. Listening to them talk about their jobs is hilarious because they deal with a ton of the same banal middle management bullshit that I do, just, you know, entertainment industry-ishly.

Also Ian J's job has been done for a while. He's not going to be kept in the loop.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pakled posted:

The quality of TV animation is cyclical, and we're rapidly approaching a nadir. The latest boom cycle lasted a really long time and was probably kept going much longer than it otherwise would have been thanks to the rise of streaming and all the different streaming services' need to fill out their content libraries. But now the streaming market is reaching saturation, and network execs are looking at expensive, high-quality animation and saying "why are we spending this much on content when we could get similar revenue producing competition and reality shows for much cheaper"

Eventually, some network or streaming service will gamble on high-quality animation again and have a mega-hit on its hands that everyone else will try to copy, breathing life back into the industry like Adventure Time did in the early 10's, and we can only hope that happens sooner rather than later.

It's funny to me because I don't think they can make similar revenue producing competition and reality shows. Like, Youtube and Twitch kind of has them beat on that kind of content. It's actual geninue, unscripted content with usually no corporate filter on those platforms, sometimes leading to the talent having their channels removed. It's a bit naive of these giant companies to think they can beat that ,especially with their own OPEN ER UP policies killing off the people still watching cable by about 400,000 worldwide a year a this point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1560089854922280960

The creator of Infinity Train has outright told people to start pirating the show if they want to watch it now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Also Ian J's job has been done for a while. He's not going to be kept in the loop.

Yes but you would *think* that the studios would at least send an email to the person most responsible for making the thing generating millions of dollars for them out of common courtesy if nothing else. The fact that he gets this info from the news like the rest of us speaks volumes to how the industry views him. And I think this is genuinely surprising to a lot of people, including many artists, who can’t fathom how bad anyone not at the very top of the pyramid gets treated.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the view of many streaming services at this point is if there's a serialized animation market niche they need to fill, they'll just license more anime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm pretty sure the view of many streaming services at this point is if there's a serialized animation market niche they need to fill, they'll just license more anime.

not like this…not like this…….

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

not like this…not like this…….

Best case scenario: a new Ghost Stories or Samurai Pizza Cats emerges from the slush when someone buys some flop anime for dirt cheap without any scripts and lets some writers go to town on it because they don't give a gently caress, they just want more money.

Sadly, in today's corporate stifled media environment, a show like that would probably never survive its first in house viewing by management and get spiked immediately because the suits want more money, not creative expression.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can't wait for the next writers and SAG strike

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think this represents any sort of downfall for animation in general, it's just Warner Brothers being taken over by an insane person while Netflix hits its own slump as it deals with competition and diminishing returns.

It's the result of so much TV these days being in the hands of only a few companies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it gets worse

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560320678233968640

i'm gonna buy these shows on google play in case they are being memory holed from the internet for tax writeoffs

e: basically if they are tax writeoffs, they can no longer air, or be used in advertising, merchandise, anything. they are memory holed and acted as if they never existed

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 18, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's the result of so much TV these days being in the hands of only a few companies.

This is also relevant because much of the way that animation makes its revenue is through merch sales. However, nowadays a lot of IPs just never get merch, because all of the consolidation in the industry means that companies are competing against themselves for shelf space, and they're not willing to take the risk on anything that's not a guaranteed seller from a juggernaut IP. It's the reason that it's basically impossible to find merch for anything Disney outside of Marvel, Star Wars, and Princesses.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Summer Camp Island will be airing on CN instead of being on max (Victor and Valentino is still airing new episodes on CN)

https://twitter.com/juliapott/status/1560343818309840897?s=21&t=PNBHvHZBeXSYUkU4NJNb5w

Nothing yet about Infinity Train/ Mao Mao or if OK KO will remain on hulu. I’d be surprised if SCI isn’t going to be dumped and burned at the post [AS] timeslots early in the morning though.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 18, 2022

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Glad I got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Looks like now is a good time as any to cancel my HBO Max subscription. No more Close Enough. No more Infinity Train. GoT ended a long time ago. There's nothing left that interests me.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Real “overhead, without a fuss, the stars were going out” vibes

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1560318664636768257?s=21&t=x4pZuucx2dp_h162BynAvg

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1560328379546607616?s=21&t=x4pZuucx2dp_h162BynAvg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macrame_God posted:

Glad I got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD.

poo poo it all makes sense now! It's not a company foolishly eating itself alive! It's a brilliant plan to make people invest in physical media! :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The same is now happening to OK KO.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Somehow more reboot info in the midst of a vast animation cutting is the last thing on my mind, but it's gonna get here at some point or other so:

https://twitter.com/TelevisionSpill/status/1560401697524002816?s=20&t=F52KAEabbBOtBEn546T2Ug

More Footage of the tiny toons reboot leaked, probably by the same person (I choose to believe someone who works at Warner who's really pissed off right now). Looks closer to an actual trailer than the last one (and my ears might be deceiving me but I think that's a James Arnold Taylor Buster?)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The audio does not feel finalized, but the animation looks a lot better now

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cartoons123 posted:

Somehow more reboot info in the midst of a vast animation cutting is the last thing on my mind, but it's gonna get here at some point or other so:

https://twitter.com/TelevisionSpill/status/1560401697524002816?s=20&t=F52KAEabbBOtBEn546T2Ug

More Footage of the tiny toons reboot leaked, probably by the same person (I choose to believe someone who works at Warner who's really pissed off right now). Looks closer to an actual trailer than the last one (and my ears might be deceiving me but I think that's a James Arnold Taylor Buster?)

Looks pretty decent actually.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That actually looks great. Buster also sounds good now. Also that final shot on Babs is :discourse:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Buster sounds a lot better but Babs now sounds slightly worse (still passable though), the animation also looks better so I assume this particular clip was taken from the final (or at least close to final) version

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Memory holing stuff for a tax write off is scummy poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also can't find any clips of Elliot from Earth on CN's Youtube, although I don't know if they were there to begin with. there are almost no clips on Youtube at all outside of fan made videos

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I also can't find any clips of Elliot from Earth on CN's Youtube, although I don't know if they were there to begin with. there are almost no clips on Youtube at all outside of fan made videos

I believe that was apart of the early YouTube culling, but it didn’t end up getting dropped (until this week that is)

Speaking of getting dropped:

https://twitter.com/goosethebig/status/1560415440463048705?s=21&t=tlia5pRWnwma93sL3w9GEA

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1560417179257884677?s=21&t=tlia5pRWnwma93sL3w9GEA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/peebgardt/status/1560435903767597056

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The shows were deleted from hbomax at midnight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I hope Warner's new CEO gets fired.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MorningMoon posted:

The shows were deleted from hbomax at midnight.
Close Enough is still there, but it could be the kids shows and adult shows being deleted at different times/days

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

man, really hosed to hear all the poo poo going on with CN/HBOmax/WB.

but as far as the larger convo about the fear of western animation dying, i don't think we need to go that far yet. i remember back in the late 00s when CN did that whole CN Real phase ( :barf: ), which was pretty awful, no doubt. but it was succeeded by somewhat of a new golden age with adventure time and regular show kicking things off and being influential to lots of series going forward.

Larryb posted:

Well Plucky and Hampton’s VA’s are dead and from what I hear Charlie Adler (Buster) left late in TTA due to sour grapes over not being cast in Animaniacs and Tress being paid more than him (Tress also had that whole incident where a crazy fan started stalking her), other than that no clue.

As I said, the new Babs sounds close enough at least but I do hope that’s just a test animation and not the final voice they’re going with for Buster

well since you mentioned it, i will give a pass to plucky and hamton's VAs...

but the charlie adler/tress mcneil feud is kind of interesting. i love adler back in the day, but does he even do any voice acting anymore? it's been years since i heard him in anything relevant. in fact, i figured he willingly decided to stop acting so that he could instead focus on voice directing instead.

tress, on the other hand, still continues to appear in every goddamned cartoon series under the sun. i expect her to get higher pay in her case.

nine-gear crow posted:

Best case scenario: a new Ghost Stories or Samurai Pizza Cats emerges from the slush when someone buys some flop anime for dirt cheap without any scripts and lets some writers go to town on it because they don't give a gently caress, they just want more money.

i dunno about that. part of the charm of ghost stories was that it showed up at a time when anime for older audiences was still kind of a novelty and was fun for the time. if it were released today, i think it would come off as more passe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Covok posted:

It's funny to me because I don't think they can make similar revenue producing competition and reality shows. Like, Youtube and Twitch kind of has them beat on that kind of content. It's actual geninue, unscripted content with usually no corporate filter on those platforms, sometimes leading to the talent having their channels removed. It's a bit naive of these giant companies to think they can beat that ,especially with their own OPEN ER UP policies killing off the people still watching cable by about 400,000 worldwide a year a this point.

The attempted pivot to reality TV already failed bad with the above-mentioned CN Real, and that was back when people actually watched TV. You can get cheap reality poo poo literally everywhere and it has no legacy.

TV Zombie posted:

Memory holing stuff for a tax write off is scummy poo poo

It seriously should just enter public domain immediately.