Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Titan had some major pacing issues when it came to their inclusion of giant monsters fights, unfortunately. Loved what it was trying to do though, and Flock of Seagulls pretty much won me over in the second episode I saw (first was Shadows of Youth; I was expecting a different show going in, after that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Applewhite posted:

12 Forever is terrifying. The scab garden was super gross. So far Esther is the best character after Butt Witch.

I didn’t mention before how much I love Butt Witch’s leitmotif. Also, her commitment to being a nuisance is something from which other cartoon villains could learn a thing or two. I respect that modern villains have goals and backstory and traumatic pasts, but I sorta miss the bad guys who really had no other purpose in life than to be a huge rear end in a top hat.

I’m not 100% why Todd is even there or what he does. He’s so passive he barely registers as a character.

I watched it on recommendation from a friend. Wasn't super-impressed with it except for the Endless itself, which remained low-key sinister throughout the whole thing, and is like some Stephen King horrorworld with the rough edges sandblasted off.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I like how Infinity Train is about a train that helps people deal with their issues--or at least gives them an opportunity to do so--and yet the heart of the story is never actually about that and characters constantly mock how simplistic the setup is.

It reminds me very much of Ray Bradbury, in that way.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Samurai Jack's fifth season started as if the tone and stakes of the original series had deepened. Jack was old, Jack was miserable, Jack was hopeless but still out there trying. He crosses his line about killing decisively. He recovers a bit of himself and takes on what is essentially an apprentice. Then the show meanders a little bit--though I wouldn't say pointlessly--before returning to the same sort of tone it originally had. And then, at the conclusion, it swerves and decides to make an attempt at gravitas.

My issue with the fifth season is it couldn't maintain its tone and waffled between the "new" style we experienced at the start, and the classic "don't get too invested, this will be resolved weirdly" style. Jack finding a way to get back to the past to kill Aku would've been entirely in-keeping with the old show. But they put it in the middle of elaborating on all the friends he's made and all the alliances he's formed. Jack finding a sudden romance in the middle of a ridiculous fight would be fine in the old series, but it happens as a result of him having a grim moment where he embraces killing and does in all her sisters.

Unlike the old show, it wanted things to matter. But it didn't want them to matter too much. It's a rope to walk and I feel it stumbled a lot on it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's because the resolution of loneliness is something people relate to, and the most frequent thing people associate with that is romantic love; you can make guesses as to why this is, either fantasy or the way people have shied away from general physical contact or the negativity associated with sincere displays of emotion. Them largely being heterosexual is a cultural issue.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Reminds me I need to get around to finding and watching the third season.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Chunga lunga!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Animal-Mother posted:

The Pirates of Dark Water needs a reboot. :colbert:

I was saying this elsewhere recently. Pirates of Dark Water was a series that had a serialized narrative, a primary cast entirely composed of PoC, a dark aesthetic and premise, and an imaginative alien setting. And it was all these things in the 90s. If it'd come out twenty years later, it probably would've been a smash hit.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Larryb posted:

True, aside from her abandonment issues/emotional confusion regarding Adora through the course of the series Catra has been betrayed by or betrayed several of her own comrades, nearly got herself killed as a result of her own plans more than once, almost got fed to a giant plant (or monster of some kind at least), and had her mind hosed with on multiple occasions.

So while she’s not exactly blameless in all this (like I said, Glimmer’s mom literally DIED because of her) I can still sympathize with her at least a little bit

Catra's arc took a while to establish what made her who she is and how she made a hell for herself, then quickly resolved all her issues in a single season without much attention put into how tremendously difficult it is to overcome these traits and habits and how much of an ongoing struggle it is. She largely got forgiven immediately, the only flaw that's presented is she snaps at someone once or twice and is snarky, and then the person she's emotionally and physically abused the most throughout the series becomes her girlfriend.

I was invested in her story and empathetic to her experiences, and was looking forward to if and how they'd depict her attempting to overcome her issues. I was disappointed at how suddenly and simply they were.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
What communicates something like romance is the context behind a specific scene, and that whole segment casts them as participants in a dance and codes them through their dress as traditional partners in that act but also exhibits their behavior and treatment of each other is one of distrust and antagonism. It's not far-fetched at all for someone to look at what is presented in the earlier seasons, which were absent explicit statements of romantic affection, and read their interactions as those of family or close friends especially with the context of them having been raised together by the same maternal figure. Speaking as an ace person here, it is entirely possible to be intensely emotionally involved and personal with someone without it being sexual or that fashion of romantic. What is communicated throughout the first few seasons is that there was a deep intimacy between them and that one felt betrayed by the other and that this spurs her behavior through most of the series.

What was intended and what the case is are different things from how a person can view and interpret a piece of media, and I don't think it's ignorance that causes people to look at those seasons and not inherently see a romantic relationship. It was a question people had going into the final season on whether they'd be kept as they were or make it explicitly romantic. And I don't think it's impossible to look at lot of things from that show and simultaneously be able to see romantic subtext while also being able to understand why others would see a different kind of intimacy, and vice-versa.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cute bit with the Centaurworld cast (and lead creator) singing one of the songs here.

The dub track seems to be pulled from a zoom sesh, but it gives a better sense of what the show is like tonally. Or at least will be part of the time.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to be viewing this show, and I think it wants it that way. It's got me interested and curious, I gotta give it that.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

TwoPair posted:

I'll take the case! Got it all typed up but can't think of a good title though other than HOOT HOOT

Hoo, Let's the Owl House

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Centaurworld was surprisingly good, and it's got me curious what a season 2 would end up looking like. It's clearly gunning for one given what it sets up and what it chooses to not answer. Music was solid overall but certain songs had a lot more put into them than others (the Nowhere King's lines were pretty flat). My only real complaint is that the entirety of the main cast outside of Horse and Wammawink are bereft of depth and are all only comic relief characters, but I never found myself finding them annoying; the jokes landed most of the time. The penultimate episode killed me with all the gags it set up and then knocked over--Glendale pulling out a jacket, Comfortably Doug having his own out-of-place ballad, and the Merman showing up with his girlfriend who was a taller, slimmer Wammawink.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Beachcomber posted:

I wasn't a fan of the fart jokes, but I want Part II.

It's gonna happen for certain, right?

It looks so. There's animation in the trailers that isn't in the show (the Nowhere King charging at the front of a minotaur army), and beyond that there are production sheets floating around the web up to episode 19. Looks like the standard cutting it in half.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

The United States posted:

Wait why do the cops have an air force? Why would you have an air strip on top of a building? WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ARMED FIGHTER PLANES REGULARLY FLYING SORTIES AROUND A CITY? THAT'S JUST BEGGING FOR A 9/11 EVERY WEEK!

Because it was an action cartoon for children.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

I AM GRANDO posted:

I always wondered whether the mirror world was simply another creation of the train or if that one car just interfaced with an independently existing plane of reality that coincidentally also exists. Tulip not having a reflection suggested to me at the time that the mirror stuff exists beyond the train, but later Lake is identified as a denizen of the train, so I don’t know.

I liked the idea that the universe of the show just has all these unrelated hosed-up things that occasionally intersect but have nothing to do with each other.

There was an AMA where I think it was suggested that the real question to ask isn't whether or not the mirror universe exists (given Tulip is lacking a reflection at the end, it clearly does) but whether or not it existed before the train needed it. Which makes it even more existentially uncomfortable.

I always wondered if the show had been influenced by the works of Bradbury, because I always saw a lot of similarities in terms of style and substance.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The magic they were referring to was the stuff being practiced by and attached to the royal family, not pixies existing and such. It still implies all the sentient spells we met are now dead, which is a grim thing to consider.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the Gargoyles opening episodes were packaged as an uncut movie (well, as in 'not chopped into episodes'). I used to have the VHS. I started a rewatch not too long ago and other than Eliza being a cop it all holds up.

The VHS also came with a game mat you could play with someone else using instructions, benefits, and penalties recorded onto the end of the tape. Blew my mind as a child.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

drrockso20 posted:

As is Tigger(specifically the book version)

Finally, I can publish my slashfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Regalingualius posted:

Also, Bonk just takes a harpoon to the heart and instantly dies in the uncensored version, while the censored version had him get a blast of Joker Gas that presumably took a bit longer to kill him.

The commentary for that scene was funny. They originally wanted to have him twitching through the scene as he was lying there.