Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aw, Steve Allen should have been above all that. Now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

The magic reset button "here we go again!" ending loving sucked though.

It's a fairly clever way to end a show that loops endlessly in syndication, though: they're not reruns kids, it's just Max and his friends continuing their adventures!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have just discovered the greatest show ever made in the 90's. It's called Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I literally cannot not stop laughing at it because of how bad it is. There is a kid in the show who I swear is literally channeling Lex Luthor. If I get a chance I'll upload one of the one minute recaps that shows why this show is so glorious.

All the works been done for me. Episode 1's recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-PrqIx24M

There's a hilariously creepy episode of this that I still remember from its first airing where the Lex Luthor kid traps a hot cheerleader in a computer and replays and freeze-frames a video of her turning around quickly and unintentionally flashing her underwear. I think that's the only part of any episode that I've ever seen, but I still remember it clear as loving day 15 years later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh yeah! Because somebody who sets out to make a show about four wildly different species being completely worthy in-and-of-themselves, as well as absolutely vital to one another, is totally going to be the type to sneak in obscure racial slurs.

(Seriously, to my mind, most white people looking to sneak in a mean easter egg would tend to aim for the n-tastic crown jewel of racial slurs, and not for slurs that only our grandparents remember.)

In fact, I don't think you can get much less racist than the Jim Henson Creature Shop, in terms of content, without journeying over into the realm of disingenuous political correctness. Sesame Street had people of all colours before that was cool.

"Why would you edit if it's [sic] a mistake?" Because otherwise, they're worried that you'll whine, cry, and worst of all, sue them until the end of time if they don't, you idiot. You've put them in a lose-lose situation.

Reminds me of people who believed that McDonalds was secretly selling Kidzbop CDs with the F-Bomb (never mind that, even sans dirty words, a lot of the songs on Kidzbop CDs are still weirdly kid-unfriendly, just by virtue of their content--and, some actually become more troubling after being edited):

http://lebanonchatter.com/showthread.php?t=14662

Well, and the dismissive and paranoid response to the official transcript/lyrics reminds me of how Creationists, Global Warming Deniers, and conspiracy theorists typically react when presented with the "Official Account." "My heart tells me XYZ, and your mean n' nasty 'facts' can't convince me otherwise!"

On the other hand, if the government let some of your people waste away from syphilis under the guise of treating it, you might be more inclined to assume or believe that Jim Henson's trying to subliminally insult you, just for shits and giggles...

(But then, what's the deeper significance or meaning of the Kidzbop incident? Do people assume that the media's so focused on selling sex and EEEEEVIL that McDonalds will just sneak curses into kiddie music just because?)

Islam is the light.

I believe Henson explicitly designed Fraggle Rock to teach kids not to be racist, as its social organization is pretty much a perfectly functional celebration of multiculturalism. I honestly think that show might have played a role in helping me to escape the belief system of my horrible racist family, along with my local library and PBS programming. So thank you, Jim Henson.

God knows what would have happened to me if I had been raised by Johnny Test.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Salute Your Shorts will always stick with me because Bobby Budnick was John Connor's friend in Terminator 2 who got thrown into the air and disappeared. The most haunting thing for me in that movie is that Arnold throws him up out of frame and he vanishes from the movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Speaking of which, does ABC Family still exist? Hard to imagine Disney spent so much money on that PoS.

ABC Family was great when it was 90% Whose Line is It Anyway and Gilmore Girls. Fox Family was great because they ran episodes of the Real Ghostbusters--the only time I've ever seen it in reruns other than the old USA Cartoon Express.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HypnoCabbage posted:

You might consider not swallowing POGs anytime soon.

I never got into Ghostwriter that much, though I appreciated it for what it was. A little too old for it when it came out, I guess.

I remember that the first episode featured Max Wright of ALF fame (he was the dad), which made me laugh uncontrollably as it was his first role after getting busted for smoking crack while naked with a prostitute, which I remembered from a tabloid I had seen years earlier in the supermarket with my mother. There were photos of him enjoying the hell out of that crack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

Annoying Orange is supposed to be a Kaufman-esque style show about comedy and modern society as a whole.

In otherwords if you watch it and enjoy it at face value, you are not watching it properly. It's a show that's ment to piss you off, it's ment to have terrible jokes, it's supposed to make you get up and turn off the TV. That's the entire point of the show, to control the audience by alienating them. People will have predictable negative reactions and the show plays towards this predictable negativity.

For example someone showed you the entire season of Annoying orange and you shot them multiple times. Now you're going to jail, but the show itself delivered such feelings of effective hatred that had real life consiquences on it's audience, proving the show has power over you.

This is the point of annoying orange this is the reason why it exists.

So it's like Bertolt Brecht for youtube?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone remember the one thread topic in GBS pretty much about how dumb the Villains in Captain Planet were?

I recall having a discussion with my econ. prof who's about 5-10 years older than me about it, and how stupid some of their motivations were, and how it didn't make logical sense from a business standpoint.

It's because the only cause for pollution or poor resource management is pure evil. Therefore the only solution is punching and not negotiating or looking for alternative modes of production or sources of energy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only way I can imagine it making sense is that maybe after 5 years the kids who watched the show from the start will have grown up and Cartoon Network has to get started on a new batch of viewers. Most kids stop watching the same cartoons after turn into teenagers. It also makes sense to try your damnedest to keep your lineup from going stale, but that's no excuse to kick out shows so unceremoniously.

Isn't it an almost universal consensus that the Simpsons went bad after [season I grew up watching]?

You mean episode 2 of season 9, "The Principal and the Pauper?" Because viewers of all ages agree on that one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TwoPair posted:

You're thinking of/looking at Justice League no adjective edition. Unlimited has 3 seasons. Unless we're looking at different Wikipedias.

Unlimited was released on dvd as two seasons: the first two are on one dvd set with 26 episodes and the third is on a separate one with 13 episodes. The show was produced as three 13-episode seasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Accidently didn't flip the channel until after "Zoey 101" was over, and wow...Dan Schneider is possibly the worst producer/writer in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Schneider_(TV_producer)

His only marginally good moments were being involved in the "Good Burger" movie (which is not a bad watch) and the "Kenan and Kel" TV movie.

Also, all copies of "Big Fat Liar" should be found and destroyed. Paul Giamatti deserved better than to be in the piece of garbage. :colbert:

He was the fat kid on Head of the Class!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sockser posted:

Dan Schneider owns :dealwithit:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SirSigma posted:

Something else I couldn't help but notice on my revisit of the show was how nobody ever says the word "impossible". Instead, they say "unpossible", and there's no explanation given as to why everybody says it. People say it so non-chalantly like "No way! That's unpossible!" or "Step right up and see the unpossible!" I sometimes wonder if the writers thought that the word would catch on.

Ralph Wiggum reference?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know this is old news to everybody else, but I am amazed that Sealab 2020 and possibly Sealab 2021 are part of the Scooby Doo universe. Also that Captain Murphy maybe is gay married.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know this is old news, but I am amazed that Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated got Michael Anderson to voice the little man for their Twin Peaks parody. That is amazing. Also that Fred's plan for busting the phantom highwayman is basically just to blow him up with dynamite.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shaggy and Scooby were the only good characters in the original show that kids really liked. It's only natural they would get emphasized in later series.

My favorite part about the old Scooby Doo was how the entire premise of being a mystery was a total farce, and half the time they would just pull something out of their asses at the end. "Oh yeah, we never mentioned this before, but there was a wanted criminal around here, and the monster is him."

I'm pretty sure they always set up the character revealed as a monster, though maybe they halfass the motivation--like he's just the mean groundskeeper but it turns out he's buying up all the farms after he scares away the farmers.

I wonder how often the Scooby Gang end up tools of the establishment, supporting big business interests of Mama Cass' chocolate factory or Jonathan Winters' hotel against the interests of the common people who actually live in the community, whose only way to strike back at the fatcats is outside the law with a fake electricity monster or troll god.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm kind of surprised this site is still around. I remember seeing it featured on Worst of the Web back in college.

Do you remember what tv show he wrote for? The link's dead and the image didn't survive the death of geocities.

I wonder what he's like now that he's 45.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED CANADA!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Netflix is funding a new Magic School Bus because lots of parents use Netflix as a babysitter and they probably noticed a lot of kids were watching the original MSB.

As babysitters go, it's better than regular TV because there are no damned ads.

And less horrifying than:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUDDllCsRE

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also maybe important to not buy his stuff if your money will help him climb the ladder and do worse stuff with less accountability.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here's the text of it: the site seems slow.

quote:

I was Head of Story on “Clarence” from the beginning.
Obviously Skyler Page sexually assaulted a female artist at CN. Skyler’s a piece of poo poo, and CN should give him the boot. Emily Partridge is one bad-rear end chick for standing up to a guy who a lot of people wanted to cover up for. Skyler’s rear end in a top hat behavior (though not yet sexual assault) was the main reason I quit the show more than a year ago.
I can’t imagine how fans of the show are feeling right now. But the reason you like Clarence, in spite of it’s creator, is because the “creator” had very little to do with the show. Despite what it says in the credits, Skyler never wrote a single episode of Clarence. It was created by the writers (me and Spencer Rothbell) and the talented board artists (people like Charlie Gavin, Derek & Diana). We took Skyler’s idea of “a fat dumb kid” and made a character out of it. Skyler mostly “kept the couch from floating away”, and read whatever lines we gave him. There’s been enough victims of Skyler Page, don’t punish the talented crew that actually raised Clarence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

1. Is it proven that he doesn't do poo poo or are we prooflessly siding with writers who are committing to major damage control?

2. The voice for Clarence was dumb as hell (another reason I don't watch) so I am unequivocally happily he's gone.

The guy who said it was fired a year ago for standing up to Page. He doesn't have any reason to lie other than ego.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is this guy around the bend for good now, like he just lost his poo poo and he's not coming back?

That is hosed up. It reminds me of the guy who played David on Sesame Street.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

Either we let this die and upset those who believe we are burying yet another act of misogyny (what did he do exactly?) or we continue the shaming and come off as ableist and indecently vindictive. Nobody wins.

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing ableist about holding somebody accountable for his actions. It's usually just accompanied by the expectation that they try to get help or are enabled to get help along with being held accountable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would make sure to read Emilord's post that HorseRenoir linked. This is one of many incidents and just ended up being The Last One. So it is not a case of "this one event cost him his livelihood". And now maybe he can get the help and treatment he needs.

There's also the animator quoted earlier who said this sort of thing was going on a year earlier.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His friend's post says that he had some kind of manic bipolar episode that came out of nowhere and was like schizophrenia, and the doctor told him he might never come back from it. He's at the right age for something like that to start, and probably lucky that he didn't kill somebody before the cops got him.

Although there's still that guy who said he was an rear end way before this started.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw the Bruce Campbell episode the night after I graduated and moved out of college. I will always remember the sensation of seeing Bruce Campbell as a cartoon robot and jumping up in bed ready to run out into the living room and tell my roommates before realizing a moment later that I was no longer in school and was alone in my childhood bedroom in my parents' empty house.

That was the Megas XLR joke that was on me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sockser posted:

But... But I like all of those

Except Everyone Hates Chris

Everybody Hates Chris is amazingly good. You should watch it again and again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I never thought he would live this long back when I watched him on Head of the Class. His wife owns a diet company

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was a fat teenager in the 80s on Head of the Class. He will be dead soon, and perhaps a Jimmy Saville revelation will follow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

axleblaze posted:

To this day I still feel bad for Tress MacNeille. She was basically one of the first people outside the furry community that was exposed to the full awfulness of said community.

I found this article on it. The photo says it all.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030514145917/www.crushyiffdestroy.com/show-article.php?file=falk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

They made an animated Buffy, it was called Sailor Moon.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Animated_Series

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder what it will feel like to be on the team that finally killed the Scooby-Doo franchise?

Since when did Arsenio Hall get another talk show?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

When we inevitably get to the point where we run out of episodes where Clarence is voiced by Skyler Page, I want Dan Mintz to replace him. Apparently he's one of the rumored replacements.

When the show started, I thought for sure it was Pen Ward doing Clarence. I'm sure he's not interested in working on another show, but that voice isn't particularly unique or irreplaceable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can we at least all agree that, without a strong DC Cartoon to bite at their heels, Marvel's been fart-arsing around with their offerings?

Unless this is truly Bizarreo world and everyone here likes Ultimate Spider-man.

Well, even when Batman and Superman were on Kids WB, Marvel had Spider-Man and the Marvel Action Hour (and Hulk!). They've never really been that good at cartoons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Pixar animators getting to beard out over old-school animation is always so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

The fact that GI Joe PSA parodies are still great going on 30 years is amazing. Almost as amazing as the fact that Community made an entire episode making fun of GI Joe and it wasn't as good as this single 45 second short :troll:

What parodies are older than the Fensler ones? I'd love to see some from the same era as the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On the whole, Batman Beyond did a decent job of presenting young people fairly, given that it was a show for kids made by middle-aged men. They do seem to get some digs in whenever anyone listens to popular music, as it seems to be remixed drill noises and heavy machinery.

Also, Terry is basically Spider-Man, but in a really nasty, brutal world. For a show featuring a kid protagonist, it always gave me this sense of hopelessness that the other Batman shows never did. Like, Bruce ends up miserable and alone, and he couldn't stop the bad guys from taking over his company and the city. And even though he's got this clever kid with a good heart helping him, he's so frail and old and vulnerable that he could drop dead or get committed at any minute.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There aren't any more saturday-morning cartoons, are there? That makes me very sad for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Saturday morning cartoons died in the early 90s when Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon came to prominence. The entire reason why saturday morning cartoons existed was because it was the only time of day that it was profitable for network television to show programming for children, the rest of the time it was programming aimed at families and adults with the odd after-school programming. It's also why seasonal animated specials like the Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer hold so much sway in our collective consciousness, up until that point showing cartoons for kids in a primetime slot was a big deal and aside from the odd animated sitcom like The Flintstons adult-oriented cartoon sitcoms wouldn't get really big until The Simpsons came along. Even the resurgence of popularity in the 80s with shows like He-Man, GI Joe, and Transformers was more due to laws regulating children's programming and advertising being loosened than anything else.

When cable started getting big in the late 80s and early 90s that was the beginning of the end for Saturday morning cartoons, because they no longer had to be relegated to that narrow window of time when expanding media outlets meant that you could have cartoons on at all times. Even if they technically continued to exist until the mid-00s if you asked a kid in the mid-90s what their favorite cartoons were they'd doubtlessly cite Nicktoons and Cartoon Network's programming.

Mid-90s was Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Batman the animated series, Eek, the Tick, X-Men. Kind of a Saturday morning renaissance, really. Cartoon Network was bullshit at that time, all Hanna-Barbera and Toon Heads. Nickelodeon was doing nicktoons, but Doug went to ABC. Also there were cartoons on weekday afternoons from the 80s on, but I can believe that the broadcast networks have been losing viewers for 20 years and it reached a point where cable had better kids' shows.

When did cable start getting good kids' cartoons? Cartoon Network was bullshit for a long time, and mostly reruns of network shows until well after 2000.