Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muscles like this? posted:

I mentioned this in another thread but my problem with this week's Beware the Batman was the bit where they talked about how he beat that obviously mentally challenged thug into a coma.

I kind of figured his beating may have been what resulted in him being mentally challenged in the first place.

I kind of like the show though, despite it's shaky start, so I'm inclined to look on the bright side for it. I actually quite like the CG graphics shows like it, Clone Wars, Max Steel etc. are using, even if it doesn't have the budget to populate Gotham the way the Clone Wars populates it's battles, cities, backgrounds and thoroughfares. I don't find it's as glaring in BtB as it was in Green Lantern for instance, since Green Lantern was so much more epic in scale. It was supposed to be telling a story of a universal war, but they only ever visited a handful of planets, most of which had only a couple of people on them and even their enemies, such as the Red Lanterns were composed of tiny militaries - 3 or 4 Lanterns and some drone-bots. This is sticking solely to one city, and mostly at night when there'd be less folk around anyways. It does have it's problems granted, quite a few of them even, but many of those can be ironed out over the course of it's first season and possibly produce something of much greater worth. Maybe I'm just hopeful for a Batman story with more of a focus on serial storytelling and character development - which there seems to be a good chance this will have. Though of course, there's nothing to say they won't bungle it completely even if they go for that. Regardless, Avatar took 10 or 12 episodes to produce a really fantastic episode, even if it still started stronger than this, so I'm willing told out in hopes it'll find it's stride in the next while.

Also, since someone mentioned it in the last page or two, are there any subs of The Mysterious Cities of Gold floating around? And if there are, does it assume direct knowledge of the old show or does it summarize events from it through exposition in the first few episodes or show a direct flashback, summary or otherwise explain them? I watched it growing up, but it was one of the first shows I ever saw and I'm pretty sure I've never seen quite a lot of it - even if I had, it was 25 to 30 years ago now. I assume it doesn't, but asking just in case.

Finally, does anyone know what the story is with Transformers: Prime? The series itself is over now, barring the (presumably made for TV) movie, but they seem to be setting up a sequel series of some kind given the references to Unit E, the movie name being Predacons: Rising and the fact that Smokescreen's character arc appears to be unresolved for the moment. I'd be willing to bet that the movie will end with Starscream killing Optimus Prime as revenge for, and a parallel to Bumblebee killing Megatron - after Optimus kills Megs once more as Galvatron which would appear to set up a new series where the Autobots with Jack, Miko & Raf in Unit E fight the Predacons and possibly the remnants of the Decepticons and Vampire Arachnia and her Insecticons - which could be interesting, but as far as I know there's no news on it yet. I'm not really all that familiar with Transformers though, so I could easily have missed news, especially with Comic-Con only over a few days.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's actually really cool. It looks fairly kiddy in it's characterization, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It does look very pretty though, agreed. She has a very ninja design despite the apparent desire to keep her non-violent - even the throwing pens looked very kunai-ish for the half second they appear in the trailer. Wonder if they'll just be releasing episodes in English straight to Youtube?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is a show that's a reference to every single episodic 1980's fantasy/science fantasy TV show ever.

Even the backgrounds look like they could belong to Masters of the Universe.

Honestly, the thing it most strongly reminds me of looking at the intro is a 60's cartoon I saw on Cartoon Network occasionally growing up in the 80s called Here Comes the Grump. I think it might just be the design of the horse and the way he's animated and moves which reminds me pretty strongly of the eponymous Grump's pet dragon and the way he moved and was animated. I think the rather trippy visuals, character and world design is pretty reminiscent of it is as well though. Not to say that it may not just be pure coincidence, given that lots of shows have very out there designs for the characters and worlds - especially more magical or alien ones, just that I imagine the guy creating it is taking influence from a lot of shows from the 60s and 70s, possibly even the 90s as well as the 80s.

Edit: The most annoying thing about Here Comes the Grump is that I can never remember the show's loving name because I saw so little of it when I was a kid, but it's oddball visuals always stuck out so much in my mind that I'll always remember those for some reason.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 4, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I honestly really enjoyed the story and the relationship it was establishing between Paige and Beck, Paige's past, Mara's involvement in the rebellion (that grafitti was amazing looking) and other things too. I'm really sad it's most likely cancelled, because I'd have loved to see a second season where there was an actual explicit rebellion in progress, rather than just Beck/Tron trying to set one up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sockser posted:

And then sometimes they came back!

Is the show that bad? I know my 4 year old niece likes it - or at least did a few months ago, she may have found some new show by now. I looked it up on Wikipedia out of curiosity and it just seems like an Italian Sailor Moon. Which seems random, but if /m/ isn't lying Italy has a bit of a shine for Go Nagai stuff so there being magical girl fans there doesn't seem surprising. I tried showing her and my newphew the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few weeks ago and they only had mild interest. My niece did think the show got dark when Aang and Katara find the fire nation wreck, but did seem to enjoy other bits a bit before their attention wandered. Think it might just be better to leave that a year or two more till they're a little older. I have Phineas & Ferb lined up to show them the next time I'm visiting at least. Whoever started the season 3 thread for that by the way: thank you. Binged through all of it up to the Marvel crossover a few weeks ago and adore the poo poo out of it. The relationship between Perry and Doofenshmritz is great tv. I also liked that Candice's relationship with Jeremy progressed along a little bit every few episodes till they're dating after 2 seasons.