Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was just thinking that I'm pretty glad Cartoon Network are the ones that picked up Adventure Time over Nick. Maybe it would have been the same show but it's hard to say for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can put up with it as background noise.

Also Problem Solverz ruled.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Thompsons posted:

Outside of the first run of Ren and Stimpy and the Plastic Man pilot, did John K EVER do anything else worthwhile?

Everything I can think of is also at least kind of creepy (though I have a soft spot for the video for gently caress Her Gently, though that easily falls into the kinda creepy catagory)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with John K is he's just such a creepy rear end in a top hat that it's hard to even like his good stuff. Like even you can overcome how creepy he is, you still have the fact that he has a bullheaded, dumb, limiting outlook on his own medium. Early Ren and Stimpy is really good but just, ugh, gently caress that guy.

On a completely unrelated note, tonight's Gumball was pretty weird. this season in general has been indicating that the show is really hitting it's stride.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just me, but I thought Uncle Grandpa was pretty terrible. It just seemed to be how many random, wacky things they could cram into an episode and that was about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I really like about Teen Titans Go is how infrequently they actually do any superheroing. More often than not its just the team hanging out at the tower getting into a bunch of bullshit, like tonight's episode where the whole thing was just an argument between Beast Boy and Cyborg about whether burgers or burritos were better.

Yeah, it actually reminds me of Venture Brothers in that the actual action packed part of their lives is secondary to the mundane bullshit of their day to day (taken to an extreme level of course). I really do like it way more than I was expecting to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Edit: nevermind

Edit2: I found some posts saying the show has been cancelled but they all reference a post on a random toon board from someone who apparently works on the show and that's literally all I can find so who knows?

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 10, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'd like the Looney Tunes show if only for it's effort to make Lola an actual character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Whether you like it is up to personal preference, but it's the best thing they've done with the characters in years.

I like the show, but this also ruled.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

The Looney Tunes Show was almost a good show, except for loving Daffy. He's basically Ethan from CAD, even down to Bugs regurgitating Lucas-like quotes.

I don't know, I can see some similarities but I've known people like Daffy and he closer to the egotistical slackers I've known that have no idea that people despise them than the wacky monkey cheese hero that everyone loves for some reason. Plus the writing is actually good and saying someone is basically a CAD character but with good writing is like saying they are nothing like a CAD character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In this weeks Teen Titans Go I liked how Silky was the minister for no real reason. I also liked how incredibly happy Starfire was to be matched up with a scratching post.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think someone says this every week but man this weeks Teen Titans Go was excellent. Just the montage with Cyborg, Beast Boy and Happy Raven alone was priceless.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to complain that there's no Saturday morning cartoons anymore when the reason they went away is because there's like 5 networks that show nothing but kid's shows, plus on top of that you have streaming stuff and a bunch of stuff just on Youtube. It's not like there aren't a crapload of options for a kid wanting to watch stuff after school.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Glass of Milk posted:

The only bizarre thing in that episode was the little 10 second end bit with Starfire- I guess they had a couple extra seconds to fill?

Yeah, I have no idea what the deal with that was. It seemed almost like a play on the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream but only in the way she talked to audience rather than content so I just don't know.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

The latest preview of Teen Titans Go is probably the best one yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UtgWpEDYjU

I love this show so drat much.

That was just fantastic. I now need to somehow to make an avatar out of "she just took the fun out of reading" part (though I think there might be too much to that to pull that off).

Edit:...and done!

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 29, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Something like this?

e: poo poo, apparently you already got one.

Sorry! Thanks for the attempt though!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I've been watching Mystery Inc. on Netflix and it's really good. Probably the best Scooby Doo series I've seen. Really hope they put up the second season soon.

That series is really weird to me because it's Scooby Doo yet I enjoy it, which is a sensation I am not used to experiencing (though, in fairness, I remember A Pup Named Scooby-Doo being better than it had any right to be, though it was still not a show I'd call good).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not just that, it's that the characters are actually well written and treated given interesting characteristics. Like all the characters are still their Scooby Doo selves but they actually put a few more dimensions on top of the typical one that the gang usually have. I like the characters in this Scooby Doo while in every other incarnation it was pretty much impossible to give a crap about them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone posted some info on steven Universe.

I didn't realize it was also created by Ianj. That's pretty cool. He sure has come a long way since RPG World.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gumball is a show that has definitely gotten progressively better as it's gone on. It started pretty typically with just it's weird style but they've had some truly great, weird episodes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday's episode of Gumball was so god damned weird. Overall this season has been really good. There have been a few episodes where they seem to be trying to hard but overall this seaosn has jus been filled with crazy strange episodes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like to think Mad lost something when it started accepting ads. It could just be taht it happened right around the time I was at an age where Mads hmor didn't appeal to me anymore but it really did seem to go drastically downhill at that point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So on January 20th Cartoon Network is airing a new computer animated Powerpuff Girls special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AFNRPyGCEs
The new style is interesting at least.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So for some reason Ringo Starr has doen a song with a music video for the new Powerpuff girl stuff.

:stare: It's...something.

I do think I officially like the new animation style though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like the Powerpuff Girls, but every time I see an old IP being dredged up and revived, I kinda wish they would just let it rest.

It was probably for the best that the show ended when it did anyways, it was kinda dipping towards the end, and the series the creator moved on to next was pretty tops.

Craig McCracken left after the movie to work on Fosters and the drop in quality is really dramatic. I rewatched the whole series recently and the later episodes aren't the worst thing in the world, but man I've never seen a show where the someone leaving was so obvious.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also Total Drama whatever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Drawn Together was a show that was half funny and clever and then that half was dragged down by the other half trying it's darnedest to be edgy and offensive. Total Drama whatever just is bland as all the other Canadian shows and plays it's premise straight, with the only thing even remotely interesting about it being that it tries to appeal to a slightly older audience than most kid's shows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

So, I just finished the first season of Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated and...wow! What a great show! And I say that as someone who normally hates Scooby-Doo and everything to do with him!

I haven't watched enough of that show but watching it is a baffling experience because it's Scooby Doo, yet it's well written and I'm enjoying it. I really like it but watching it confuses my brain.

Also, really late in saying this but I thought that Powerpuff special was pretty good, but ironically not that special. I liked the animation alot but plotwise it just felt like a normal episode of the Powerpuff Girls. While this isn't a bad thing it's also weird that they resurrected the franchise to tell this story that I'd probably would barely be able to remember if it were part of the original run of the show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ah man, you gave my hopes up.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the special to test the waters to see how viable it would be to resurrect the franchise, but I have no actual evidence that that's the case. It just seems odd to bring back a long dead show with a brand new animation style and redesigned characters to just do a half an hour episode that that doesn't really have a plot that sticks out from a normal episode of the show (other than having a former Beatle in it).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The first time I watched UG, I sorta hated it but I gave it another shot recently and maybe they were better episodes but I liked it alot more. I still didn't like it enough to go out of my way to watch it mind you but it was pretty okay. Pizza Steve is the best though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

What idiot thinks toy cartoons are dead? Pokemon is a shameless advertisement for the video games that's been going strong for almost two decades now. I have no loving idea how they're still making new episodes of that poo poo when it stopped being even remotely entertaining years ago, or why Ash hasn't aged at all.

This indicates that is was ever interesting. It's pretty much the same poo poo it's always been, you just got older. Fortunately for 4kids and Nintendo, there is a never ending of new kids to get interested in that crap. As long as the games are popular, the cartoon will probably continue.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jscolon2.0 posted:

Perving on cartoon characters pre-dates Bronies, you realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DW31upNEEg

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really do want someone to track down their sound designer to ask them why the gently caress they're doing that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I tried to watch that show once but I found all the characters to be actively unpleasant.

That is, for better or worse, pretty much the point. It's a bunch of weird rear end in a top hat kids being weird rear end in a top hat kids.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would any kid born in like the last 18 years know how Donald and his nephews are related (and that's being generous assuming that for some reason they watched Quack Pack)?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Okay this poo poo has gone too far. As a guy who grew up in the 90s I know I'm partially to blame, but this most recent wave of nostalgia-based programming is just bananas.

Magic School Bus? Netflix? Why?

Going back a bit, it says in the article why. Netflix has the rights to the show and it's the most popular educational show on the service. They see there is a potential demand so they're filling it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they need the original people to do it, just people that actually understand the show and keep it weird as gently caress while being on the edge or disturbing (and actually remember to make it silly too).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A Pup Names Scooby Doo genuinely tried harder than any other Scooby Doo before it, making it all the more depressing that is still wasn't very good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mental illness is sort of a pretty good excuse though.

There's no excuse for him not seeking the help he needs and going into situations where he could be harmful knowing that he might not be able to control himself, but mental illness is the sort of thing that does serve as a pretty good explanation for things.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me it just changes the whole thing so now it's just sad on all sides rather than a thing where we get really angry and talk poo poo about a guy for being an rear end in a top hat. Now I just hope he gets the help that he needs and maybe someday he can lead a normal life.

I'm obviously not defending what he did, but if he truly wasn't really in control of his actions, it is just kind of sad that this has basically caused him to lose everything (which I'm not saying is the wrong course of action at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
His friends description of how Skyler was acting that day honestly is disturbingly close to how the creator of Ed, Edd n Eddy was acting before police killed him.