Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cool thread, mobo. When there's nothing else on (which happens quite often), I switch the TV to Disney XD or Cartoon Network. It's a shame that I still have that instinct to watch that stuff, but I get bored easily and I can't be bothered to do work every waking day.

Kalma posted:

I wish someone would replay Batman Beyond.. that was a teenage superhero done right. :/
Yeah, most teeange superhero shows suck rear end (I'm looking at you, X-Men Evolution. Why Disney XD started showing that daily and put the '90s X-Men animated series at an ungodly weekend hour is beyond me). You may want to check into The Spectacular Spider-Man on Disney XD. It's not nearly as gritty as Batman Beyond but it's still good, and the animation is better than the '90s cartoon.

I also echo the love for Phineas and Ferb. Any kids' show that does a parody of CSI: Miami gets a thumbs-up from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Test seems stupid to me for some reason. I like Chowder and Flapjack because they're more mindless than anything else. Plus the candy in Flapjack is really supposed to be booze.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Batman does not eat nachos!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

As for Flapjack, there's an episode where he finds a pet rat that infects people with the plague. It was like watching Ren and Stimpy all over again.
Especially when they show close-ups of characters' bodies with all the folds and hairs. That's right out of the Ren & Stimpy playbook.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

This show was everything an action cartoon should be. I guess it was canceled, but who knows.
God, I hope not. The show was going to be shelved until Disney XD picked it up. They may be cranking out new episodes soon, but I don't know its status.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fishylungs posted:

It and Wolverine and the X-Men were canned, Disney apparently has their own plans for both franchises. In the case of Spider-man, it's a new show based on Ultimate Spider-man.
That's too bad, but I'm willing to give them a shot with the redirection of Spider-Man. Has anyone given a shot at animating the Ultimate universe yet?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know that Greenblatt, the creator of Chowder, said something about the show being canned, so I take it that these new episodes are the last ones that we'll see from that show? That's too bad.

I like how Dana Snyder, the voice of Master Shake, does the voice for Gazpacho, the mama's boy elephant-looking thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Robotomy is the show made by one of the creators of Superjail!, so it's bound to be good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regular Show looks like it should ease the pain of Chowder getting canned.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Nearly every time anyone moves at all, it is accompanied by a whip crack sound effect.

Johnny Test is probably the worst non-anime thing on that channel.
They don't even have much anime on Cartoon Network anymore. Off the top of my head, they have Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D, and Bakugan- and they only show them in the morning.

Johnny Test tries too hard and fails pretty badly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chibs posted:

Adventure Time is as great as it should be
I keep loving missing the new episodes every Monday. One of these days I won't nap through it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Meeble posted:

People may hate on it for not being "dark and edgy" but Batman: The Brave and the Bold is loving awesome. Silver Age Batman is just as good as crazy, brooding Batman :colbert:
You can't really compare the '90s animated series to The Brave and the Bold, they're two completely different shows. They're both very good too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Meeble posted:

I think they started to explode in popularity after Kung-Fu Panda. But I think Skunk-fu predates that movie.
Then maybe we can place the blame on Jackie Chan Adventures? Granted, that was a good show (except for the last season).

Episode posted:

I heard somewhere that Nickelodeon was looking into a Monsters Vs. Aliens series as well.
That wouldn't surprise me, since they have spin-off shows of Barnyard and Madagascar.

mobo85 posted:

The thing that made me love Phineas and Ferb right off the bat was the end of their theme song.

"MOM! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!"

The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud. That line alone is a perfect example of the show's style of humor.
It's also the only show that I know of that has a joke related to the theme song. The episode where the family is stuck on an island:

(Candace sees Ferb washing a monkey)

Candace: Why are you giving a monkey a shower?

Ferb: It had to be done.

Also I could care less about the designs. It's a cartoon, lighten up a little.

Meeble posted:

Why in the gently caress does Cartoon Network air Johnny Test so much? Seriously, everytime I go past that channel there is a 50% chance that show is on. Is it really that popular? :psyduck:
I guess dedicating the same amount of time to Scooby Doo spin-offs has become passe and they need another crappy show to fill the void.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

That's from Canada?

Please take it back and never let it leave your borders again.
Bringing lovely pop culture down to the U.S. has always been Canada's strong point. See: Celine Dion and Nickelback.

Does that mean that Total Drama Island is also Canadian, since they also made 6teen? I still don't know whether TDI was a spoof of reality TV shows, a subtle way to get kids into reality TV, or both.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Disney XD showed Pinky and the Brain for about three months and I want it back.

Edit: Anybody else notice the clever use of a cliche in Phineas and Ferb with the Little Mary MacGuffin doll?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I know that Animaniacs gets a lot of praise, and I loved it as a kid, but as an adult the show just makes me uncomfortable. It has this sort of proto-internet sense of humor
Funny you should say that, since it was one of the first shows, if not the first show, to make fun of internet nerds. I saw the bit on YouTube and it was eerie how little such people have changed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An authoritarian regime run by furries, no less.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

George Takei as an evil, sentient heart (with a tiny little butt for no reason) has ensured I'm pretty much going to watch every episode until it's canceled.
I knew that voice was his.

That show and Freaknik have the best Autotune gags.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phineas and Ferb Sell Out?

I'm a little wary of a Fireside Girls spin-off, but it could be good.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

If only they'd cancel that show, Johnny Test, and Garfield, I'd be a happy camper--oh, and while they're at it, those two Flash-animated teenager shows, too.
Sorry to bash Johnny Test like a pinata, but goddamn, is the animation for that show awful or what? Too many sharp corners for my liking and it looks trashy as well. It makes the animation for Phineas and Ferb (which also has characters with a lot of sharp corners) look like a masterpiece.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh, and you guys changed the title of Beast Wars to Beasties, and you got your panties in a twist over the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and Michelangelo's nunchuks.

I love you, Canada, but sometimes, you make it very, very hard. :(
I don't know about Beast Wars, but I can definitely say for sure that the Ninja Turtles name change was in the UK, not Canada. :britain:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shadow The Rat posted:

Only thing I can find is wiki articles about a bunch of episodes that aired overseas and not in the us, and this quote from Everything2:

Daggett: "Norbie? What happens when you're...over?"
Norbert: "Oh, it's not so bad. If the cartoon's good, even if it isn't, it's rerun-incarnated!"
Dag: "Ooh...does that hurt?"
Norb: "No... Only when you get the later checks. The Cartoon-Being-Over Guys rerun it over and over and they make lots of well deserved money."
Dag: "Which they share with the people who made the cartoon, right?"
Norb: (laughs uproariously) "Right. So you see it's all for the better."
Dag: "Right!"
Norb: "Even though we're vanishing we'll be back over and over again at virtually no cost to the Network!"
:drat: That's brilliant.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, that Scooby Doo show sounds pretty cool. I'll have to give it a watch.

Plus, Lewis Black and a voice from the original Scooby Doo? Nice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't watch Aaron Stone, but one time when I was flipping through channels I noticed that one of the villains on the show was wearing what was obviously a rubber mask. I laughed about it for a second and proceeded to flip through. I'm willing to bet that they don't get much special effects money.

Edit: I didn't notice the animation for the new Looney Tunes show, but from what I've heard that most recent Looney Tunes movie was quite good, so I wouldn't give up hope on it.

Another thing about the Garfield show: the animation doesn't match up to the art style of the comic strip at all. Some parts of the show have stills in the background that look like they were drawn by Jim Davis, and it's in stark contrast to the lovely CG on the show.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 24, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mobo85 posted:

The first thing I thought of looking at this picture was not furries, but Johnny Bravo.

Also, there is no way that the live-action Fairly OddParents movie will be any good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There will be no third season of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Not really surprising since the show was treated like poo poo by Cartoon Network, but it's still disappointing. They did a good job of using the campy Batman instead of the dark, gritty Batman of the '90s animated series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Granted, my only source is somebody's Facebook status, but if it's true, then Cartoon Network is going to get a lot of poo poo here.

Apparently, Flapjack got canned. So that means we've lost Chowder, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and this. Basically, it's Cartoon Network being Cartoon Network.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

...What? Why? Is it costing too much to produce or something? Or do they just LOVE to take a giant dump on the few people foolish enough to have faith in CN?
Most likely the former, though it could be both considering that Cartoon Network's been doing this since the '90s. One of the comments on the person's status said that if it's not a glorified flash animation from Canada or outsourced to Korea, then it's too expensive.

IRQ posted:

It seems like CN and Nick only do like 3 seasons of any show then can them for no reason. The only exceptions I can think of are those cash cow live action tween sitcom shows where they make the lead also do really lovely autotuned music.
Also Johnny Test, but I heard that's one of those "cheap and easy to make" cartoons so it gets a pass from CN.

Google News says nothing about its cancellation- or about the cartoon itself except for its nomination at the Emmys. Then again, we first knew about Chowder's cancellation from Greenblatt's blog.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 31, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chibs posted:

Yeah, he's not a very good Yogi. He says average instead of a-ver-age. :colbert:
For what it's worth, Justin Timberlake does a dead-on Boo-Boo.

Chibs posted:

Bets on next old cartoon/comic strip movie anyone? My money's still on Cathy.
Cathy seems more like Lifetime original series fodder.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chowder marathon is on right now. It concludes at 7:30 with the final episode, "Chowder Grows Up."

I didn't know that Schnitzel is voiced by John DiMaggio, better known as the voice of Bender.

edited with the correct time

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

You'll never guess what adult Chowder is called in the credits.

Man Chowder

No, I'm not kidding.
Knowing the creators, this was intentional.

Also, I've never told you that I love your avatar.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That episode left me warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Except for Schnitzel's fate. :byodood:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's how they do new episodes of most of their shows now.

Speaking of new shows, when are we going to see that robot show from the creator of Superjail?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's too bad that Flapjack is getting canceled (told you so :saddowns: ) because this is a great time for the network (except for Johnny Test, of course). At least we're getting Normal Show out of it, and Adventure Time is still chugging along and being awesome.

Also echoing massive :3: for live-action Flapjack.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drat, and I thought that Chowder got shafted. At least that had a marathon before the series finale.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

And, they probably think they're following in the proud footsteps of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery.

The thing is, Tweety and Sylvester, Road Runner and Coyote, Elmer and Bugs--they're all interesting, sympathetic characters we can relate to, and who are each motivated by nothing less than life, death, and honor.

Kid vs. Kat is just two petty douchebags duking it out.
When they kicked off Disney XD and I first heard the premise for Kid vs. Kat, I immediately thought that it could be something like Tom and Jerry. It's got the rival characters but absolutely none of the charm, and the supporting characters are all annoying.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:ssh: The whole reason all those 80s shows were made in the first place is because previous laws relating to advertising to children were changed so they could make half-hour toy commercials. The fact that such shows are "beloved" is a testament to how effective and insidious such marketing is.
loving Reagan

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, on a related note, Wikipedia has a lot of way-too-detailed-and-academic episode write-ups for P&F :psyduck:
The TV Tropes page for P&F is equally bad.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhineasAndFerb

Notice how small the scroll bar gets. :ughh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone posted some info on the cast of Robotomy. Most of the page is about Adventure time though.

Robotomy will premiere on Cartoon Network on Monday, October 25

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/35282/cn-sets-adventure-time-s2-for-oct-11-robotomy-premiere-for-oct-25-2010
"Killglobe." How very Superjail-esque. Which is to be expected, I suppose.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

The Jonas Brothers are the worst of all.
They're exactly like Hanson, except worse and with purity rings. And if you try and tell me that Hanson is good, then you've got '90s nostalgia blinding you.

Allia posted:

But Double Dare? That and Family Feud and...I think one or two game shows on Nick my mother forbid me to watch because they were too stupid. I mean, sure, I watched them anyways, but she totally snarked them. Come on, "what follows after 'Baa, baa black sheep?'" and none of the teams could get it. Even at like eight I could tell the shows were that lame.
Come on, the game shows were awesome, if only because the kids were terrible at them. Nick Arcade was chief among them in both awesomeness and incompetence of the contestants.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I find it awesome that Mo did voices for characters on Stroker and Hoop.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember an Ask/Tell thread where somebody posted about being a contestant on Nickelodeon Guts. Obviously I picked the low-hanging fruit and asked if Mike O'Malley did blow on the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Robotonomy is basically Superjail with Robots instead of people and a high school instead of jail.
Which makes sense considering the background of the show's creator.