Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I find DBZ to be unwatchable without the Bruce Faulconer music. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Help me, General Kids Show Discussion Thread, you're my only hope.

I think Star Wars Rebels is cool and good, so I tried watching a few Clone Wars (the CG one, animated one was great) episodes. I kind of hate it...

I did some digging and apparently the whole series isn't even in chronological order, and people all recommend different jumping on points. I also found this list:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/th...n-should-watch/

Is that a good place to start? Goons mostly have good taste, or at least bad taste in a similar way I do.

Thanks

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

"colder than a witch's tit"

Here's something I was unfortunate to stumble across looking up something about the Clone Wars cartoon.

Now you're unfortunate too! Enjoy!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh. She's got a knife.

I like Classic Webby's doll arrowed to the loving wall there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I stumbled on this and want to share it with literally everyone.

https://youtu.be/Vkp8rM_SkH8

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Maybe that's why I hate ponyhead so much...

Rewatching Samurai Jack from the beginning, Mako is a continual delight but I particularly always enjoy his inflection of "Unspeakable Evil!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TFRazorsaw posted:

The show isn't funny.

But in other news, The Real Ghostbusters is on Netflix now, and that's great.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo. This was my SHOW when I was 4-8.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

So far Real Ghostbusters seems to hold up pretty well. Definitely didn't notice the little original songs in each episode as a kid. Looking forward to Stay Puft showing up again and whenever they end up showing the inside of the containment unit. I only watch 1 or 2 episodes a day...it doesn't seem to binge watch easily.

OTOH, I binged Star vs. season 2 in two days and now I feel hollow and empty inside. Steven Universe is on hiatus. Rebels is on hiatus. I guess its back to books for awhile.

I still hate Ponyhead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mycot posted:

I maintain that Ed Edd and Eddy is underrated.

There is so something (everything?) about this show that just rubs me completely the wrong way and I've never been able to figure out why.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

Question: do you not like Seinfeld either? If so, then maybe you don't like both shows because the main characters are horrible people.

This checks out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ben died on the way back to off of his home planet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

When does Miraculous hit its stride? I watched the first episode and it seemed like Sailor Moon, but in cg and for younger children.

Glomgold should run for President mayor and be soundly defeated.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

Like... his name is literally Scrooge, how do you paper over that one.

If you can find a copy, read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's amazing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Is there a better cartoon theme than Ducktales? I've been wracking my brain and I think it's the pinnacle of the genre, being extremely catchy, energetic, and informative.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I made a very poor duet.

Ducktales+2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

How...how did they get footage of me when my wife's wearing yoga pants?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I would buy 30 tickets if Momoa sung The Rousing Song of Heroism.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ludo in the Wild was when I started really appreciating Star vs.

Gravity Falls hooked me with Deer Teeth because it's both funny and incredibly hosed up. Really sold the feeling of an alien intelligence.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hair+Pink

It's Rose Quartz.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I wonder if we could get Krampus on the Shelf to take o...

...oh.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I don't know if that's wise. Santa has a very particular set of skills...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I don't know where else to post this because I looked into ADTRW and nothing made sense.

I watched Little Witch Academia on Netflix and I feel it's like Gurren Lagann for girls. (-fanservice and +adorable hats) It was cute and fun and happy.

Also, if you don't know what Gurren Lagann is you should watch that too because it will make you feel good about yourself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I can't think of any legitimately black-sounding Looney Toons. Just adds a little spice to the sitcom mix. Also, maybe Hazel is her twin sister, cursed with a speech impediment that makes her sound like a little old lady.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Slowpoke Rodriguez, he carry a gun.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

They already had a 101 Dalmatians cartoon. The dalmatians' owners bought a farm and Cruella their neighbour was always trying to foreclose on them or some other cockamamie rich people scheme. (I liked the episode where Cruella is trying to get a rich guy to marry her, and the dalmatians and farm animals decide to help her with that, because they realise it's one of the only ways they're ever going to actually get rid of her)

Fast friends, with cold, wet noses.

So! The Lion Guard. I know very little about it except that the song about raising Scar from the dead is my nephews favorite, and thus I've heard it about 37 times.

Wouldn't this have gone over very badly in the 80s? Necromancy is still one of their hot button issues.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The night I met my wife I invited her to come back to my apartment to show her Invader Zim. We made it through 3 episodes when she realized she'd put herself in one of those positions that girls are supposed to be careful with, so I walked her home. We've been together for 14 years now.

A month after that night I met my first lol random Zim superfan. She monopolized my time for hours and I couldn't escape because I was at work.

I've never had the desire to watch it since.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My own take on the "random" humor in Zim is that it's not random, but the universe constantly contorting itself in the dumbest possible way to get to the worst outcome for everyone. It's part of the cynicism. Most of the superfans miss the cynicism somehow, how the world of Zim is this horrible nightmare of the modern world progressing into the worst thing it could be even though you'd think the show was beating you over the head with it.
Gir's random talk was supposed to make you hate him, too.

I think a lot people can identify with someone put together out of scraps and garbage.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Luz is a terrible name. Almost any other vowel would be better.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

This question from another thread interested me so I went looking for an answer. I couldn't find one, but I did find this funny-in-hindsight article that took the launch of The Hub as an omen that cartoons were going back to being glorified toy commercials. But it is an interesting question. Why are merchandise-driven shows less prominent today than they used to be?

It's kind of hilarious that MLP had the hardest time getting screen accurate merch.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

Mystery solving teens was done beyond death. It's all teens in dystopias now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

nerdman42 posted:

Its actually surprisingly fun once it moves away from the same Batman/Superman/Wonderman stuff and starts looking at other characters. There's a pretty good episode that puts Harley Quinn and Gorilla Grodd in some scenes together and that's a dynamic I had no idea I'd enjoy.

Harley is either the best or the worst in all her media.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Another clip of Gumball came across my youtube with ridiculous production values for a TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBfRZDpZiY

Gumball theatrical movie when

Is that Bill Cypher and Dr. Zaius on the side of the hippy van?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

readingatwork posted:

The What a Cartoon podcast just did an episode on Bobby’s World. I know there are a few goons around that remember it fondly so check it out if you need a good nostalgia fix.

Spoiler: You’ve almost certainly forgotten how annoying Howie Mandel singing as a small child was.

Animals don't wear underpants. They get to run free.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Has anyone brought up Bruno the Kid yet? It was kind of entertaining at the time, but as an adult I don't understand how it came to exist.

Also, I'm a bit sad the Alien cartoon never got off the ground.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I was hoping for xenomorphs patterned after different animals. Cow, zebra, kangaroo, elephant.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Payndz posted:

One of the early drafts of Alien 3 featured xenos born from various farm animals. Including chickens. Not quite sure how that would have worked.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm basically hesitant to get involved in any kind of show that's not completed these days. Or book series.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Thank you for the link informing me of new episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I feel like they could start the show from the beginning, show one couplet per weeknight, and at the end show a new couplet, only to begin from the first episode again, and there'd still be better pacing than currently.

I'm not actually going to work it out, though.