Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Soylentbits posted:

Maybe his parents are weredragons or something. Even without that the concept of half-people half-anything have been around for thousands of years.

It's based on a comic book by the same name. And no, they kind of avoid the how of it. He mother's a normal woman the big old dragon met while he was destroying a city. They hit it off and eventually get married. By the time the comic starts, they're already divorced and the dragon gets the kid on the weekends. At his lair in the middle of the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

readingatwork posted:

I didn't like it at the time. Though looking at it again via YouTube it's better than I give it credit for. That's what I get for talking smack from memory rather than just looking things up again.

Oh well. List amended.

Speaking of shows that are better than I remember them being holy poo poo the opening to Mighty Max! Not bad for a chronically 90's show about a boy and his ancient Egyptian magic hat.

I loved that show, but the ending?

For a while, I actually watched it to see if there were differences, not realizing that was just the series finale.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

El Tortuga posted:

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool. I knew I was in for something special when they did Abbey Road at the beginning, and the green ranger didn't have his boots on.

Also, holy poo poo. Bulk? Is he still doing this poo poo? Or did they just bring him in for this?

edit: Wikipedia tells him that he just came back to the show in 2011 after being gone 1999, and that he does some animation direction here and there. So, it's cool he's landing work. Also, he's best friends with Jason Narvy (Skull), so that's pretty .

It's awesome for the Bulk as the Nevermind baby portion alone. Everything else is just a bonus.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PhazonLink posted:

They also had an episode about the Irish Protestant and Catholic thing that involved a suitcase nuke.

Oh and timetraveling to WW2 and those two evil women trying to sell Hitler weapons and C. Planet almost dying from Hitler's hate.

edit: and an episode where spirit animals berate the Planeteers for not trying harder.

I thought the episode with the spirit animals was more them putting them on trial for humanity's crimes against nature. It was a long time ago, but I remember there being stuff like the Woolly Mammoths, Tasmanian Tigers, and little geckos or something who had no name because they were destroyed along with the acre of rainforest they existed on before ever being discovered, all calling them assholes.

I think that anti-Gaia character was involved. Those episodes tended to be weird.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a lot of "vintage arcade licence? easy money" that goes around, it turns out that companies actually aren't just stupid, late 70s/early 80s videogames actually don't sell very well or make any money. All the legacy arcade companies have been trying for at least a decade to figure out a way to make money off owning the most important videogame licences in history and over and over come up with failure every time.

Let's make a Pac-man platformer! Nevermind that even Nintendo rarely does 3d platformers anymore, I'm sure ours will be a bestseller.

I could have sworn there's a new one coming out soon in which he terrorizes and devours basically the entire population of an innocent city of ghosts. Looked vaguely sonic-like.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CelticPredator posted:

BUM (Christ) used to annoy the poo poo out of me as a kid. I only watched it because it came on a half an hour before Zim. That was a very painful half hour.

They were just a lovely version of the Ninja Turtles. And that theme song was just the loving worst.

Back then they were airing a lot of no-effort cartoons. They all aired in the afternoon on weekends and it felt like they were kind of dumped there. Like, I remembered when they started airing Spongebob, the Fairly Oddparents and so on, because they promoted those. These? They just...appeared. And then they'd disappear, thankfully. Because they were awful.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I think it's more that Beyblade is cheap. It's not the "new" anything. I remember that stuff being around the same time as Yugioh.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was awful. Even as a kid with zero critical capacity it and all the other kiddified versions of classic cartoons (aside from Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons) put me to sleep.

That, and the Tom & Jerry Kids. Just...

Right, so when I was little, I would get parked in front of the TV, and I would pretty much watch the same channel for hours on end. I had a high tolerance for poo poo, based on my viewing practices and age. But I knew Tom & Jerry Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo were bad before I knew things could be bad. They just made me annoyed. What is this? Why is this so terrible? It's colorful, it's a cartoon--shouldn't it be good? Same thing happened with some of the more dire Hanna-Barbera blocks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aw what? That's kind of lame.

I gotta be honest, I prefer the over the top "I put my face on the moon just because I loving could" super villain Carmen San Diego who does whatever she wants instead of this Robin Hood nonsense.

Hey, telling the British Museum that this week you're taking the Benin Bronzes after you got the Elgin Marbles last week is pretty super-villainous.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Macaluso posted:

Angry Beavers

Give Richard Horvitz more work!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I like theme songs, though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never saw that, but I recognize the green guy from ads. I think maybe it was on before I started watching on-air TV.

Anyways, this what I think of first with Little Richard, although this is probably much more relevant.

You know, the lyric "strap yourself into the seat" assumes a lot about school bus safety precautions.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scarecrow is probably the one Batman villain they could probably take on, if he hasn't brought goons with him.

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was actually pretty good. A lot of the mysteries were apparently set up so the audience could potentially figure them out before the characters do.

I dunno, Velma seems smart enough to handle the Riddler.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Argue posted:

Have you seen his calves lately though

When did the Riddler get so jacked?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Beachcomber posted:

One of my favourite moments from the Injustice comics, which are way better than they have any right to be.

Maybe he's got a doctorate in history or something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

He can barely draw his own characters.

https://twitter.com/realhartman/sta...439195817754624

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The latest episodes led to a question: Does Amity dye her hair or do people in the Blight family just get green hair when they hit a certain age?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Owl House got gay.

It's glorious.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kidcoelacanth posted:

"got"

Always love when this show busts out the Good animation, that final fight was good as hell

Alright, confirmed for gay.

Here's the fight! Spoilers for the ending of the latest Owl House, obviously. https://theartsynoodle.tumblr.com/p...ing-grom-fright

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kidcoelacanth posted:

owl house has weird pacing and is structurally all over the place but i like when the green girl acts a fool around her crush so i shall continue to watch

Yeah, it's really adorable. Fills a big gay hole in my heart left by She-Ra.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Looks like people who have been itching for Owl House to get back to Eda's story will be in for a treat.

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/sta...141990246490118

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Funky Valentine posted:

I've watched a gif of that like ten times and I'm pretty sure we saw Hooty cave a dude's head in on the Disney channel.

Yeah I saw that and had to repeat it to find out what just happened and I'm still not sure. At first I thought he possessed the goon but he just sort of slipped through the hood.

Creepy. Makes you think of how Hooty and King are demons and almost all the demons we see are mostly harmless but there must be a reason why they're feared. Or if there's truth to King's title.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Guess Luz's summer vacation might go a bit longer than expected.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xelkelvos posted:

Two things that'd be interesting to speculate: One, could Luz start mixing glyphs? Two, is it possible her glyphs, if big enough be more potent whatever another witch could put out? Like, draw a glyph around the whole island or something (or maybe the islands in the shape of a glyph)

I think this is a reasonable assumption. Witchling magic draws from an internal reserve--that gross bile sac near the heart. Sigil magic seems to draw straight from the titan and is directly proportional to size, so there's no reason so far to expect that it has a limit, so long as you can draw a complete sigil.

I thought it was interesting how, when she had the staff, Luz could use all her known sigils instantly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Beachcomber posted:

I may have missed something, but why do you think her hair is dyed?

I mean it's sort of a question. Is it dyed and browning at the roots or do the Blights' hair turn green at a certain age.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Local cat accidentally sets everything on fire.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jesus, that's an anime production schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I wonder if Lilith has an intense hair routine to keep it straight like that when it's naturally even poofier and more unruly than Eda's.