Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I've been rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender for obvious reasons since I last saw it on Nickelodeon probably 10+ years ago, but there's a question I have. I didn't see any specific thread and went back the last month or so and didn't see anything so apologies if this is a worn-out issue.

Now, I never watched Korra, although I'm familiar with a few things in it, and I and the friends I asked before had never read the comics, but my curiosity is this:

Aang is the titular Last Airbender, because the Fire Nation wiped out the Air Temples 100 years prior. However, because 99%+ of the people in the temples we see were men and monks/initiates who possibly took vows of celibacy, they all had to come from somewhere (I'm in season 3 and did see Aang witnessing... not his own birth but somewhere near that with Avatar Roku? but his parents were nowhere to be seen), otherwise they'd face a Shaker problem except the problem would be even worse because you'd have to be born a Shaker to join. I am aware there were some female airbender Avatars, but my brain is trying to rationalize it as there were probably villages scattered around the temples (that could have been wiped out too) where they recruited airbenders, sort of how the Jedis in Star Wars just took kids who had potential, and without teachers no one left would be able to fully realize their potential although other people with potential airbending would exist.

Is this something ever actually explained in the Avatar canon or just brushed aside or ignored entirely?

amigolupus posted:

Also there was one comic where Mai and Zuko broke up, and it's just... Why? They were good together, so what purpose did breaking them up even serve?

Oooh ooh! While I was clicking around wondering about my question I think I read something about how Mai got tired of Zuko keeping secrets from her even though her entire personality and character was just going along with other people and bored because she had no control over her life.

Stellar character consistency there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Argue posted:

The air nomads have no vow of celibacy.

I figured they might not since Aang had no qualms with relationships (but I wasn't sure) so is it most likely just early development oversight in failing to add more background women?

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Ah, those work for me. I think most of it is just my adolescent brain going "this is awesome and really really good" clashing with my pedantic adult brain 12 years later going "this pretty good but wait did I miss something" and figuring writers of this caliber had to put something somewhere.