Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, So I've recently started watching Kid vs Kat and I'm curious what others think of it.

I dunno, it's winning me over slowly. At first it was just the nifty art style that got me watching but between it's character's genuine likability, some drat nifty foreshadowing of possible future events (see: Tutankitty's tomb episode) and Mr Kat being all-around awesome, it's really starting to grow on me.

That said there are a few flaws I can't help but nitpick. The biggest being the main character's habit OF TELLING ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN THAT HIS CAT IS AN EVIL ALIEN TRYING TO KILL HIM WITHOUT A SHRED OF PROOF. Seriously kid! At least wait until he's holding a laser gun or something. Yeesh! There's also some plot holes I've noticed as well as some real missed opportunities in the writing. Oh, and Coop can be a colossal rear end in a top hat. I'm still not sure if that's a bad thing though.

Anyway I'm kind of torn on this one. I can't tell if it's a good show and I just haven't given myself permission to like it yet (I'm like that with cartoons for some reason), or if this is a bad show I just enjoy it anyway.

What do you think internet?

Link to one of the better episodes of the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am4TE89NIn4&playnext=1&list=PL942B8B492FFF31A6

Link to one of the shorts based on the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6RNjJ1FY4&feature=related

Fake edit: Oh, and apparently it won a Leo for best animation as well. No, I've never heard of it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Last I saw it--

Hated it hated it hated it hated it.

I think the first and most severe strike against it is that it's obviously Flash animated, and I'm pretty drat sick of Flash.

From there, I just found the characters dumb, irritating, and loud. Their rivalry just seems so pointless and stupid, so I can't bring myself to to root for either of them.

BUT, this is based on one episode, and a few clips, so I'll give your clips a try.

Fair point on the Flash animation. I'd much prefer if they used the same style and traditionally animated it. Something about Flash stuff just seems... off.

And their rivalry is only half pointless. They're both assholes and I suspect that the reason they fight so much is because they see huge pieces of themselves in each other and can't stand it. But that's just my :3: theory.

As for picking sides I know what you mean there as well. I root for the cat myself even though I don't think I'm supposed to. I don't hate Coop but Mr Kat is a cybernetic alien with a laundry list of superpowers who's primary mission isn't to conquer but to steal food for his people (I think the conquering part comes later or something). It makes it hard to hate him. Plus Coop has it coming like a third of the time.

Entire episode of Coop being a total dickweed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaJqW1Wf2v8
(He's just trying to feed his starving home world you rear end in a top hat!)

The reason I use "Nuff Said" as an good episode is because a lot of the weird moral ambiguity that plagues this show isn't in that one. Kat's actually evil, Coop's a jerk but with a reason, and there is actually something at stake instead of them trying to slit each other's throats over a spilled glass of water.

Another decent example is the two-part time travel one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrR6W35TxnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akb2Ea7QoCc

Definitely a hit or miss kind of show. But for some drat reason I'd be sad if it got canceled and for the life of me I'm not sure why (hence the post). It's weird, all the elements for me to worship this show unquestioningly are here but the writer's can't for the life of them use said elements quite right.

On a side note Phineas and Ferb is kind of the opposite for me. I'd normally hate it (Ungh! Singing on a Disney channel show!?) but through sheer force of being good at their craft the creators made me like it anyways.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

In terms of rivalries and slapstick, nothin' beats the old Looney Tunes toons.

Two things made them great:

1) The characters really WANTED what they wanted, even when what they wanted was silly or unattainable. We in the audience can relate to that desire. Kat's motives are often unclear, and for some reason, I don't really believe in Coop's desire to bust Kat.

2) Even the villains and comic foils were relatable, and had a lot of admirable or sympathetic qualities. The best thing you can say about Coop is that he's not raping babies, and that he has brains enough to outwit Kat sometimes, even if he doesn't have brains enough to understand Kat's master plan, or to see when he just needs to let poo poo go. Likewise, while Kat is smart, and is clearly on a mission, I don't get a sense of his "character" or "personality," besides being crabby and possibly eeeevil.

3) The cartoons themselves seemed to recognize and acknowledge that their characters were caught in an absurd Greek tragedy. Coop's character tragic flaws in particular seem to be in "soft focus," and the problem there may be that they aren't exaggerated or extreme enough.

Another thing--the voices are annoying, especially the little sister. Sometimes I can handle annoying voices, but for some reason, these do me in.

I think the main problem is that Coop is indeed a little dillweed, but the show often behaves like we should relate to him because all of us are "kids."

So, I figure, you either need to make Coop really heroic, caring, and honorable young kid who is motivated by a very honest desire to protect his family from a viable threat, or turn him into a cartoonishly vengeful, zealous, brooding little poo poo who can't stop antagonizing the cat, a la Yosemite Sam. (You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.) Kat needs to have more sympathetic character flaws--say, hubris--and the audience needs to feel that he himself is capable of empathy or sympathy in some form.

Interesting that Kat is trying to feed his home planet. Didn't know that!

I had to quit Nuff Said in the middle to go do something, but I'll finish it. Thank you for being so patient as I mistreat your show :).

Nah! It's cool. I Just like that I have someone else to talk with about this poo poo.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However in the name of fairness I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit:

1) Millie is absolutely unbearable in the earlier episodes of the show. However as time goes on they cut down her shrill little girl aspect and play up her Fortune 500 CEO side more and more. She is surprisingly more likable when she's not screeching like a drat banshee every time she's on screen.

2) They actually DID give Kat some empathetic qualities. For one thing he gets really attached to Millie as the show goes on to the point where he goes out of his way to protect her. I question why this is the case since she seems to push him around more than Coop, but I chalk it up to (again) him seeing a little too much of himself in the kid. He also has a girlfriend or something I think.

3) I'm hesitant to say Coop's dickishness is entirely a bad thing. While it does make it hard to root for the kid, it has the added side effect of making him an incredibly active character. One of the nice things about this show is that both characters are schemers and regularly get off their asses to DO things. While I wish to GOD that the writer's would make the show less ambiguous in WHY they are fighting, I have to say that I do enjoy watching these two characters actually planning against each other at the same time rather than one side simply playing defense the entire episode.

4) This isn't a response to anything you wrote but I also feel that Dennis deserves a shout out as one of the reasons I'm not totally ashamed to admit to watching this. He's easily the most likable character in the whole thing and frankly the show would only benefit were he to become the main character. He's smart, genuinely nice, decently developed (he has kind of a paranormal investigator thing going for him), and is motivated more by loyalty to his friends and the earth than by petty revenge.

The two episodes that illustrate this best would be the time travel one I mentioned earlier and this one (Menace the Dennis):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als-M8SHF1I

The time travel one is fun in this sense because apparently if earth ever IS invaded Dennis will join the resistance and get all hardcore while Coop just becomes the invader's bitch. Granted there were mind control collars involved but I still think it's an awesome example of why Dennis should be the main character.

"Menace the Dennis" on the other hand is neat because it shows what happens when Dennis is forced to go it alone and as it turns out Coop is completely holding him back. Not only does he beat Kat with no help from Coop but he does it with zero collateral damage and without anyone thinking he's crazy at the end of it. They seriously need to make more episodes like this one because he's way under utilized despite appearing in almost every episode.

Also:

quote:

(You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.)

Yes! That would make this show absolutely perfect. There is nothing I love more than watching the good guys turn evil.

Does that say bad things about me?

Side note:

I just watched this episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbMCKHYWLSI&feature=related
(The grass is always meaner)

1) The writer's really missed an opportunity to show Coop's good side here. Why didn't they have him (and only him) get his new helmet and just give it to Dennis to replace his broken one? You could have even kept the same basic ending.

2) How the gently caress did Coop's dad know to order 2 helmets in advance in the first place!?

This has nothing to do with anything. It just bugged the crap out of me.

Edit: Oh! And classic Looney Toons 4 evah brother!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Also good to hear!

So, it may be that the show's evolving.

I think it is. The more recent episodes seem to realize many of the show's issues on some level and appear to be slowly working to fix them. Interestingly, it seems that rather than make Coop less of a dick (it was his one personality trait outside of being a jock anyway) they creators seem to be going in the other direction and just embracing the fact that he's a tool thereby at least controlling it to some degree. The Menace the Dennis episode is actually a good example of this as it outright admits "Yeah, Coop's an jerky dumbass. BUT HE'S A WELL MEANING ONE!". It's an interesting approach and I think it could lead to good places if handled well. It's still not even close to perfect yet, true, but progress is progress!

quote:

Now, that is true.

And, because I haven't seen much of the show, I had no idea that the sidekick's name was Dennis. Thanks :). And, based on that episode you posted, I'd say he's definitely much more interesting, talented, and likable than Coop--but, that's often the case with sidekicks.

Isn't it though?

quote:

(And I laughed when Coop was being chased by the coyote, the buzzards, and the badger.)

I could watch that poo poo all day. :3

quote:

The problem for me is that I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel at the climax. As much as I admired Dennis' ingenuity and courage, in the end, I felt bad for Kat and his cat friends when Dennis foiled Kat's evil(?) plan. But, the show clearly wanted us to follow and root for Coop and Dennis, and see things from their perspective, because the "camera" was on them most of the time.

The boys come off as antagonizing a creature they don't understand, and the show doesn't condemn that, and that kills a lot of my enjoyment. Kat's defeat comes across as more sad than funny, and the boys come across as more bigoted than heroic.

Welcome to Kid vs Kat!

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. The show would have been a thousand times better had they either added a five second scene showing that this actually was for an invasion force (and not some benevolent cause) or made it more clear that they hosed up and just stopped Kat from doing a good thing. I'm fine with either, but make up your mind show!

quote:

Nope, because I'm the same way. We like moral complexity . (Or, we're just cynical, and we like to see "good guys" slide into the moral cesspool with the rest of us...)

Foolish heroes! Acting all perfect and putting on airs. When will they learn that good and evil are mere points of view? What!? You think your better than me just because you spent the weekend building houses for the poor while I spent it perfecting my machine to turn the world's food supplies into angry bees!? You don't know me rear end in a top hat! YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

In other news apparently in July there's a scheduled special called "The Secrets of Mom Bertonberger". I'm actually pretty excited about this as Coops mom is one of the (several) big missed opportunities of the show. She's literally not mentioned once which is a shame because her absence makes the behavior of both Coop and his father make SO much more (likely unintentional) sense. Coop is a jerk because his mom died/left when he was young and he's carried some bitterness about that with him ever since. His father on the other hand feels guilty about her absence and as a result spoils his son with expensive toys, excessive time and energy, and even an entirely new wing on the house (Yes! He does this!). All the while overlooking his son's obviously degrading mental condition in the vain hope that if he just loves him enough his son will recover on his own and things will return to how they used to be. Yet deep in his heart he knows it's a fruitless endeavor and that a tragic choice is only a matter of time away.

That's the other thing I think I love about this show. It's dissectable as gently caress.

That's a word right?

Y-Hat posted:

It was said earlier in the thread that the guys who make Kid vs. Kat are trying too hard to channel Tex Avery and, in the process, forgot to make the characters likable. I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

Amen!

The exact moment I fell in love with this show was here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcy1LfiC5VI

Yes... We DO all got a platypus controlling us...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

If you like shows that are dissectable as gently caress--and I do too--as odd as it sounds, you should seriously trot on down to the My Little Pony thread. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Whodathunk a show about magical horses had so many layers, both real and imagined?

Wait. Is My Little Pony as a franchise even allowed to be good!?

This requires further investigation...

Also, I'm reading the backlog of this thread and am noticing a lot of hate for Johny Test. I've never seen it so I'm going to have to go and see if it's really that bad.

Edit: gently caress! Well that was uninspired.

Edit2: HAHA! The little dragon in My Little Pony (Spike I think) is voiced by the same gal that does Dennis in KvK.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 6, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Anyone seen Jimmy 2-shoes?

I just watched an episode and it was pretty much "That's not funny..." the show.

Points for some neat backgrounds though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^

Holy poo poo! Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Readingatwork, here's an interview with David Yost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlcuY8bOUk&feature=related

Jesus! This is really drat heartbreaking. Glad he got things sorted out though.

Unrelated Phineas and Ferb side note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRse3EX7wLc
(8:30)

HAHAHAHA! Oh holly crap Candace is insane! I nearly lost it when they showed that drat Zebra.

:byodame::Wait a minute! That's it! I'm dreaming!

:): That would explain the talking zebra.

:byodame:: Naaah! I see him all the time.

And that's not counting the other time she saw him while suspiciously NOT on hallucinogenic drugs.

Also, why the hell does he refer to her as "Kevin"? I think that's the most disturbing part of all.

God I love this show.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Yes, this would be why. TV is VERY heavily planned in advance normally.

I've actually been digging the newer cartoons more than their older stuff all things considered. Still, it will be nice to see if Pete and Pete hold up after all these years.

On that note did Danny Phantom actually get a proper ending? I just caught a couple of episodes and it actually looks like they have something of an interesting story going on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Thanks! But I've started watching them in order on Netflix so I'll get there eventually.

I have to say Vlad is quickly becoming my favorite part of this show. Yeah he's a "crazed up fruit loop", but in a genre where major villains are played more for laughs than as a legitimate threat a la Mojo Jojo he's surprisingly competent. I've seen about five episodes with him now and Danny hasn't beaten him in a fair fight yet. It's always either a stalemate or he has to be clever to win and even then it's not easy. Hell, in the episode where they were having a petty pissing match (essentially a battle of wits) Vlad came out way ahead and is STILL mayor of the town so far. I love that.

I also nearly died of laughter when they showed he got the cat he swore in an earlier episode he wouldn't get.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I kind of liked Danny Phantom, and thought they could have gone some neat places with it. I felt, though, that it got WAY too cheesy a lot of the time. Danny's puns/wisecracks didn't really work for me.

I did however, really love two of the villains. That vampire dude and that big guy with the green hair that was voiced by the guy that did Gantu in Lilo & Stitch (I would love any role he plays really)

edit: Somewhat related: I really wish that AbraCatastrophe had been a theatrical movie instead of just a TV movie. I always wanted to see the Fairly Oddparents on the big screen, and AbraCatastrophe just seemed like it was meant for theaters with how grand it was. I mean, there final battle with Crocker, and the Timmy finally revealing his fairies to his parents. But hey, I also thought Dexter's Ego Trip should have been a theatrical movie too.

I think those characters are Vlad and Skulker and you're in luck because Kevin Michael Richardson seems to have been in every animated feature known to man.

And yes, the wisecracks don't always work I agree. Though I think the show makes up for that in cool/likable characters some genuinely clever storytelling.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaaand last episode done.

Not terrible if corny as hell and obviously rushed. The biggest problem with it was that they completely overlooked Valerie's plot arc, which was particularly frustrating since literally one episode prior they had an awesome set up with her preparing to hunt down Vlad for betraying her. I also think they missed some really great opportunities with Vlad in the end. I loved that he revealed himself to the world to blackmail his way into world domination but it was clumsily handled compared to how smart he'd been previously and when he failed to save the world and threw away his friendship with Jack there was a chance for real introspection and change in his and Jack's characters which never really materialized. I personally was hoping that he'd come around at the end and become a good guy considering how he's shown himself capable of genuine empathy and kindness in episodes like The Ultimate Enemy (which is probably the best episode of the show) but but none of that ever happens and he's just sort of quietly written off for laughs at the end.

Oh well, at least it's AN ending. Maybe I'll get lucky and that movie they've talked about will get green lit someday and we'll see a better wrap up. Ther's still a ton to explore like Paulina's crush, the ice men's mysterious connection to Danny, the fright knight's aparent deal with Vlad, Clockwork (who was apparently voiced by motherfucking David Carrodine, WTF!?), the observers strange dimension, and the Evil Danny character who is still very much a threat to the world. Here's hoping anyway.

Now, on to discover the next children's television show to waste my life on!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Also: Rifftrax. Never forget the Rifftrax.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Magnus Condomus posted:

Dwayne McDuffie was the the guy behind Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, and those two seasons where pretty terrible. He took out basically everything that made the first one fun. Generator Rex is infinitely better than those two seasons of Ben 10.

Though now Dwayne's kinda kicked the bucket, so who knows how things'll turn out.

Wait. So who did the first season then?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mobo85 posted:

^I agree. I think it's for the same reason- Bugs is such a recognizable character that even if you alter him slightly it looks odd.

To be fair I think the new design looks better animated than it does in screenshots.

I'm mixed on this show so far. The songs are just awful but on the other hand I really liked this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bxw6PIOwhA&feature=related

So I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Croc posted:

it was Fillmore, that show died far to early was really well done.

On that note, I've been watching reruns of My Life as a Teenage Robot lately and have actually been pretty impressed so far. The art is interesting, the characters are entertaining (Jenny aside. She's kind of a whiny bitch), and it has some of the more interesting problem resolutions I've seen in kid's entertainment. My favorite being how they "fixed" Sheldon's 75 year long trek through space.

It's really depressing that they had to end it so prematurely. :/

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

For anyone mourning Chowder you should probably watch Gumball. It has sort of the same "feel" I guess. I mean there's only two episodes but the jokes have a pretty similar timing.

"I know what we need: a third best friend!"

"A third? Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Only if you make it weird. Would it be weird?"

OK so yeah that was one of the most subtext riddled things I think I've ever seen.
:suspense:

By the way, just what IS the relationship between Darwin and Gumball? Are they brothers, BFFs, life partners or what? I thought they were friends what with Darwin being a fish but the two are constantly together, I have yet to see Darwin's family seen or mentioned, and as of "The Third" it seems that apparently he and Gumball share a room. So now I'm just confused.

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and say that if they do it right and it isn't written by complete hacks, a Flintstones relaunch might actually be fun to watch.

The original sucked so I say swing away. We may even get something good out of it.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 17, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I think Darwin is a "pet" in the sense that they're not really related and Darwin doesn't have his own family or whatever, but in practice he's more of an equal? The mom treats Darwin like a son too in the DVD episode, I think. They both go to school and otherwise act as equals.

The show has a giant T-Rex that kills other characters on screen, does it really need to be explained?

Probably not? But I went and got the scoop from Wikipedia anyways:

Formerly Gumball's pet fish, he grew legs one day and became fast friends with Gumball. He subsequently became a member of the family. Due to his sudden introduction into the world, his world view is somewhat skewed and he tends to be more naive than other characters. He attents Elmore Junior High alongside Gumball.

Was this an episode? Because that's kind of awesome.

EDIT: HAHAHA! The next episode features Gumball thinking the world is going to end. If that's a coincidence then I'll eat my hat!*

*No. I won't really eat my hat. :colbert:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 17, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Chibs posted:

So, apparently, drat near 30 years later, The Mysterious Cities of Gold is getting a second season. :psyduck:

That's one hell of a turnaround period.

I've never even heard of this one. Was it any good?

Edit: Aparently it's on Netflix instant queue. I guess I can find out for myself. o_O;

Edit 2: Beaten like a dead hooker

Edit 3: Dear lord I'd forgotten how bad voice acting used to be!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 18, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If you get the chance check out the latest episode of Gumball. Surprisingly the end times episode was the less funny of the two. This show is turning out to actually be pretty decent! I hope they keep this up.

Also, I just checked out the first disc of season 1 of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and while it wasn't terrible I just don't get the adoration it gets from some people. It's not all that funny, the characters are all sort of generic, the story-lines are nothing to write home about, and the animation varies wildly from pretty good (particularly with the background work) to fairly meh-inspiring (the big brother looked TERRIBLE). It also really bothered me that the imaginary friends are real creatures that everyone can see and are widely known about. So... kids are just able to create sentient life forms at will? If they are actually real then why is it considered so immature to not give them up? Seriously on that one. Why are people in this world such assholes to creatures that have done nothing for most of their childhood years but be an emotional support? Furthermore, why is there no government system in place to deal with the inevitable yearly wave of discarded friends? Why would any kid adopt an imaginary friend in the first place if they can just make the one they want at any time? Why do none of the friends appear human? If Mac hadn't found the Foster's what would "getting rid" of Blue actually have entailed? Did we narrowly dodge an Old Yeller-style ending to all of this?

Damnit children's television program! EXPLAIN! :argh:

I'm probably over-thinking this one but these are some serious plot holes and they appear in the very first episode. Compared to the fairly solid foundations of P&P and AT this premise just seems really poorly thought out. Which is a shame because I think you can do neat things with the basic idea. Am I just not seeing something here? Is FHfIF one of those shows that gets better over time or is this one just not for me?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digital Scumbag posted:

All the songs are goddamn terrible.

This, this, this. A thousand times this!

That aside though I'm actually kind of enjoying it for what it is. I think it was the "cruising" joke that won me over.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

Allthough there was a write-up somewhere where I think someone who worked on the show essentialy said the entire process for making an episode was :effort: and how they re-use exisiting gags and short-cuts just to get it done. Not from just a technical standpoint either, the writing was apparently made just to fill the pages. I mean flash you can re-use alot of things most of the time, and ther'es nothing wrong with that. But the show is just so stagnant and boring that it really sticks out.

If you can find and post this I will forever be your friend. :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fishylungs posted:

Then you weren't there from the start it seems, because I remember that too. :colbert:

On a side note, they're apparently planning on making a live action Ben Ten movie. Like for theaters and stuff.

This is almost certainly doomed to fail based solely on the fact that it's success is completely dependent on a pre-teen lead actor.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Sweet! "It came from the Nightosphere" is like my favorite episode.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Five bucks says that the latest Regular show was the pilot and they just reedited it a bit so that it had slightly cleaner animation in places and the current voice cast.

Pretty entertaining though...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is Cartoon Network just throwing a whole bunch of cartoons out to see what sticks? Because this Squirrel show and Almost Naked Animals are really bad. Like, Camp Lazlo or My Gym Partner's a Monkey bad.

If you're talking about Regular Show I will cut you!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Steak Justice posted:

I just had a startling realization. I could always grasp the fact that Spongebob kind of stopped being any good after the movie, but I couldn't quite grasp why. The world and characters didn't change all too drastically, but everything was clearly worse. I thought I was just becoming jaded, but it struck me just moments ago; the reason new Spongebob is so bad is because they don't tell jokes anymore. Wacky poo poo happens all the time but there's no comedy anymore.
It's really tragic how badly something can fall apart when a show wants to die but the network won't let it.

Fairly Oddparents hasn't fallen as hard into this trap, though it definitely has to an extent.

Is FOP even making new episodes anymore? I have it set to TVR and I haven't gotten anything new in a while.

Edit: Also the reason so many shows fall into that trap is because you have to be very active and innovative as a writer to keep an older property fresh. You need to constantly try new things and be willing to take risks now and again. This is relatively easy early on because you have no established cannon to gently caress up or fans to piss off. However once you find some success the temptation to stop thinking actively and just stick with what you know works and not rock the boat can become awful tempting. Particularly when a LOT of money is riding on you what you're doing.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 7, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

That is... Wow... :stare:

Points to the show. They finally made one of those MM bits that's worth watching.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

They posted the preview for Ponies season 2.

There's also a 20 second clip that introduces the bad guy that's up on the Hub's site.
It's their version of Mim the Dragon Queen called Dragonokis

http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1159708008001/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-clip-the-return-of-harmony-pt-1

I love that the kids got into a fistfight over a statue's artistic subtext.

NO IT REPRESENTS THE HUMAN CONDITION YOU F#$^%ing C%#$ BUCKET!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

And this is why I DVR Family Guy, you can fast forward through that bullshit. Actually I'm not even sure why I still DVR it in the first place.

American Dad on the other hand is still hysterical.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

I remember loving every season of Digimon, but Tamers especially. It was so dark compared to the others once the story got rolling, and all around just well made.

I also remember gasping when my child ears heard Devimon's digivoled form punching something and he said "friggin."

I loved that show to death but gently caress 02 so hard for introducing an huge Lovecraft-themed villain/dimension and then never doing anything with them.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

It might be nostalgia, but I really liked Season 4, and I thought the theme song for it was pretty drat good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSzqnjakGM

Frontier was OK and frankly I think it get's more crap than it really deserves. It had some good things going for it and I had a good time watching it regardless of the fact that the villains were pretty weak and in the end the main character could have been written out entirely with no real impact on the plot (the emo kid with the bandana had all the plot baggage).

Season 5 though, now THERE was some lovely television.

(Edit for clarity)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 5, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, That's about right.

And, honestly, just stop after Tamers, you'll thank yourself for not putting yourself though much else of Digimon.

Xros Wars is worth a go. The first 29 episodes are an incredibly entertaining kind of bad but after that I think they swaped directors or something because the show's writing inexplicably becomes decent and the action pretty drat good. The animation is also probably the best the series has seen yet even if they are blatantly ripping off Gurren Laggan.

Edit: Oh, and I peeked ahead to the first couple episodes of Xross Wars 2. It feels a lot like Tamers. A VERY good thing.

Edit 2: Tamers has what is to this day one of my favorite villain concepts. The D-Reaper kicks so much rear end.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 16, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Gumball is OK, but it's definitely not on the level of Chowder or Flapjack. It's a charming show, but there's not much substance beyond that.

I outright like it. It looks good, has personality, and can be drat funny sometimes. What more do you really need?

Also, I don't really know if it's fair to compare it to Flapjack or Chowder. It's not really trying to replicate their formulas and it's not like FJ and C were dropped just because this show came on the channel's radar.

Also, jumping on the Johnny Test hate wagon because gently caress that show.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT '90S ARE ALL THAT ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

Cry Baby Lane, the infamous made-for-TV movie, is on tonight. It's almost over now (at least in the Eastern time zone), but it will be back on at 2:00 EST. Unfortunately, the forums will probably be under maintenance at that time, so there won't be a running thread about it.

I haven't heard about this one. What's it about and why is it so notorious?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

God knows what would have happened to me if I had been raised by Johnny Test.

Probably not much actually. We all liked some pretty stupid poo poo as a kid. Frankly, compared to some of the crap float floating around in my day Johnny Test isn't really that bad:
-Clarisa Explains it all (not as terrible as I remember it being)
-Salute Your Shorts
-Hammerman (No, really. A cartoon about a superhero MC Hammer)
-Kwicky Koala
-Chuck Noris and the Karate Commandos
-The Flinstone Kids
-The Snorks (Was this one actually bad? I just remember being bored to death by it as a kid)
-A Pup Named Scooby Doo (removed due to it doing something genuinely clever)

And these are just the ones I remember. Frankly nostalgia aside kids have it pretty good today.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^HAHAHAHA. Here. For anyone who didn't immediately know what he's talking about.
:devil:

Macaluso posted:

So I had to see what all the hubbub was about Johnny Test so I watched a random clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQrEN6L32I&feature=fvst

Is the entire show *character does a thing* Johnny Test: You just did that thing!!

Yes. Also: *Whipcrack!*

The worst part though is the way show really seems to think it has some sort of "hip hop gangsta appeal" to it but in reality is just empty to the bone and awkward beyond words.

quote:

edit: What in the. A Pup Named Scooby Doo was great :colbert: the original Scooby Doo was garbage.

They were both garbage if you ask me but I'll give it another shot for nostalgia's sake. If an episode ends with the culprit actually being Red Harry for once I'll give the show a pass.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 14, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Because his opinions are wrong:colbert:

I didn't like it at the time. Though looking at it again via YouTube it's better than I give it credit for. That's what I get for talking smack from memory rather than just looking things up again.

Oh well. List amended.

Speaking of shows that are better than I remember them being holy poo poo the opening to Mighty Max! Not bad for a chronically 90's show about a boy and his ancient Egyptian magic hat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah. It took up all the time that was rightfully Digimon Tamers and PR: time force's in the UK on Fox Kids. It's repeating again. That peace of poo poo rated a for awesome ate up all of Inazuma Eleven's airtime.

How is Inazuma Eleven anyways? I've seen a bunch of avatars around and it's got me curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's good fun as long as you accept that it is to Football what YuGiOh is to Magic: The gathering.

That. Sounds. Amazing!

EDIT: Watching episode 1. Not thirty seconds in and the "bad guy" pee-wee soccer team just beat the other guys with what appeared to be DBZ soccer magic, unilaterally disbanded the loosing team, and then immediately proceeded to tear down the loosing team's school by driving through it with their military-grade land train thing.

Very not disappointed. :allears:

EDIT 2: Aaaaaand the middle school Nazi stormtroopers have officially won me over. This poo poo is awesome.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 18, 2011