Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

thelaughingman posted:

A new Genndy Tartakovsky series is coming out on HBOmax.

Edit: I wonder when we can expect more Freakazoid.

Phoebe and her Unicorn adaptation looking weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The special was fantastic and I loved dumpy late 20s/early 30s Finn. It's exactly the kind of person he'd be at this point so gently caress the haters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I love me some Kipo but the line ”you can’t win wars by fighting them!” is the most birdbrained poo poo I’ve heard in a LONG time. Yes, you can actually win wars. It’s just a very ugly process which is why peaceful solutions are preferable. Also Kipo was 100% correct to try to destroy the boat. It was a relatively non-violent way to crush the human’s ability to wage war and would have made negotiating a long term peace much more possible, not less because it would literally be the human’s only option at that point.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

General consensus seems to be 'Disney doesn't do more than three seasons per animated show'.

I suspect Covid and Disney taking it in the pants from their theme parks being closed may factor into it as well. Animation is super expensive and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they're shifting focus to projects that are cheaper and easier to produce for a while.

OTOH animation is something I imagine you could do from home unlike live action so who the hell really knows.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

That seems to be a trend with a lot of their shows.

Disney XD is basically what Boomerang is for CN. It's a place they can send shows that aren't getting high enough ratings to squeeze a few last dollars out without having to take up space on their flagship station. Moving an ongoing show to XD or Boomerang is basically a pre-cancellation move so this shouldn't have been surprising.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dang that was a good season if Hilda. Very excited to watch season three in like 3 years if I don't die from one of the six apocalypses coming our way.

Troll mom would not get her baby back from me in that situation. It is precious and my son and I would die to protect it.

Also did the character design for the Jorts vending machine guy weird anybody else with how much he looks like an aged up version of David? I kept expecting one of them to recognize the other as an uncle or something but that never happened so now my current theory is that he's David from the future. There's no evidence supporting this, I've just decided that's what's happening and you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

I mean come on they both even have the same weird little hair loop thing!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently the Wander Over Yonder guy has a new cartoon coming out on Netflix next month and it looks pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBZ9UkhblkM

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Kid Cosmic is charming as hell and I highly recommend it. That’s really all there is to say on the matter.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Still working through the show but LOL, wow episode 4 randomly gets super dark on like four separate occasions.

"Aliens sleeping?"

:stare: "Yes... sleeping."

Edit: Series done. It's really good and I really hope they get a second season..

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 4, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know that tv in general has much of a future.

Sure it does. They're just going to start bundling the streaming services into packages to make them accessible and then adding ads for additional revenue and then the cycle shall be complete.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Matt Braly's said it was always meant to be a three-season plotline, so at least the moment has been prepared for.

I've said it before but I can't imagine a job more frustrating than making cartoons. Imagine putting in years of effort to make a successful show only to have the whole thing randomly shut down because some rear end in a top hat in a suit decided that no show can be allowed to last longer than 3 years for no reason.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

At least Disney didn't do like Nick did to TMNT... they randomly cancelled it out of no where after promoting the poo poo out of it for a long, long time while giving zero indication that they wanted to cancel.

No cartoon should ever be on Nick after poo poo like that.

It's kind of incredible how much Nickelodeon sucks in an industry largely known for how badly it treats it's staff/properties. I'm not kidding when I say that I would never pitch a show to them even if I knew I could get it greenlit. gently caress Nickelodeon.

Somewhat related: Why the hell is nothing Nick makes on any streaming service? Do they have their own service they're trying to get people to pay for or something?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the Netflix or CW take on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

This will be a complete trash fire and I am here for it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
One of the animators behind Over the Garden Wall and Tig N' Seek made a short film. It is very unlike either of those things.

https://twitter.com/ncrossanimation/status/1341032250725388288?s=20

Content warning: violence and peeners

(Also watch Tig N' Seek already it's charming as hell.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Netflix made some Kid Cosmic shorts that they didn't put on their actual website for some reason. They're pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3mAFVewZgA

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kid Cosmic is pretty fun, but kinda shallow. I guess when I first saw it was only 10 episodes I was surprised, but then when it got going, I understood how it wasn't really working to elaborate all that much on these characters' daily lives. The running theme of Kid getting all his worldly knowledge from comic books was neat, but it does feel weird that they put so much weight on Kid having a stockpile of comics from a genre and era before I was born. I think it might've been from before my parents were born even.

I do really love all the aesthetics though. The colors are neat, the way so many of the scenes are framed is intriguing, and the music is wonderfully weird. It actually even reminded me of Genndy Tartakovsky's work from just how much went into the raw aesthetics of a scene.

Also the series showed how Netflix doesn't really have normal television S&P, because when the army shows up, they just plain have normal M-16s and they shoot things with them. Also some of the aliens get pretty badly maimed, even if it was never gory or anything.

:allears:

E: Spoilering for content. Yes that's right, I'm spoilering Kid Cosmic (rated TV-Y7) because the imagery might be a bit too graphic for some.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 12, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butter posted:

Edit: any recommendations? Suddenly got a lot of time on my hands and looking for cool shows I might have missed. Serial plots, social progressiveness and good art styles are all a big plus.

Not sure what you've already seen but:

-Infinity Train is A+ and needs a 4th season god damnit!
-Kid Cosmic is the current series I won't shut up about
-Over the Garden Wall is a classic and very worth watching
-Justice League/Unlimited starts episodic but in Unlimited gets a pretty good plot going.
-Wakfu takes about half a season to find it's footing but once it gets going it's great. Nox randomly becomes one of the best villains ever out of nowhere 2/3rds through Season 1. The computer animation gets better I swear.
-Dofus is a side story to Wakfu and has an accompanying movie. Both are fantastic (Better than Wakfu in my opinion) and are highly recommended if you can find them. You don't need to have watched Wakfu to follow it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Desperate Character posted:

Is there anywhere to watch Dofus besides ye old pirate ways? I know they removed it off VRV awhile ago right before I could watch it

I don't think so which is some bullshit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

Is the Dofus show the one in which Kerubim is the main character ?

Yes that's the one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ok, this requires explanation.

I can't speak for them but Season 3 had a pretty weak villain (particularly compared to Season 2's villain who was legitimately great) which dragged down the whole show quite a bit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oh thank God. The cliffhanger that they ended the show on was some bullshit.

drat, today owns.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SilentChaz posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1362103272719462402

https://twitter.com/Matt___Burnett/status/1362114426761973760

Craig of the Creek is getting a fourth season and Craig's little sister Jessica is getting a spin-off series.

Very weird to see a spinoff aimed at a younger demographic who probably have never seen the original show but I have no objections to it or anything. Also I guess that this is the start of CN's push towards entering the preschool programing market so we'll probably be seeing a lot of announcements like this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Just did. I had heard it was terrible but WOW. Every single decision was wrong and bad. Casting, CGI, pronouncing every character's name wrong. The water tribe general going "Hooooooooo"

Personally I'm fond of the fact that a five person dance squad of earth benders was needed to chuck a single rock.

Also the penis hair.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I will never watch a live action Avatar TV show and you can't make me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Learned that there was going to be an Astro Boy reboot and got super hyped but then I learned the project has been in limbo for like 6 years and now I'm sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z240pys_D4A

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Apparently the ATLA creators have formed their own studio and an animated film set in the same universe is in the works:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

Come on you cowards do Avatar in the 80's.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Wow I thought it'd be really bad looking but instead it's just really bland! So arguably worse!

Honestly it's somewhat better than I thought it would be. Still probably not going to see it because I've been over Rugrats since before Dill was a thing but the animation won't be a factor.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
CN make a Reanimator animated series, tia.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Literally the first I'm hearing about this show that's premiering in less than a month.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1367958149844631553?s=20

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Tig n' Seek has a second season out and continues to be charming as hell and underappreciated. Definitely worth checking out for the A+ cat owner humor alone.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently it's only on HBO Max, which seems like a great way to be underappreciated, at least by me.

You are 100% correct. The show definitely deserves to be on more platforms.

Mokinokaro posted:

Infinity Train Book 4 is out April 15

:woop:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I did NOT realize that Elliot of Earth is by the Gumball team. I am now actually pretty excited for it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if it's a movie or a show but Arlo the Aligator boy is coming out soon and looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGdOI-ORxM

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The first episode (part 1 of a 2-parter) of Elliot From Earth is on Hulu now for those interested. It's got a more serious vibe than Gumball but it's pretty good so far.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Elliot From Earth dropped like seven episodes at once and I think it's safe to say that it's pretty good. You can really tell it's from the Gumball team once Elliot starts going to space school.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What is the animated kid show equivalent to the Sopranos? Discuss.

(Obviously it’s Gumball)

Edit: No, wait. It’s Steven Universe. It wasn’t the first prestige cartoon but it was one of the most influential early ones. It features family drama, mental problems, and the main character has a body count.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 15, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More a kid's movie than a kid's show but Arlo the Aligator boy is out on Netflix and is pretty fun. My only real gripes are that the hillbilly villains are dumb and 2 dimensional (but also barely in the movie so who cares) and the bus full of side characters is a bit undercooked for how important they're supposed to be. Towards the end they're suddenly going "we're a family now kid!" and I'm like "when did THAT happen!? You sung one song and gave him a ride to the city". Not huge problems though and on the whole it's super charming and fun in addition to being pretty to look at. Definitely worth a watch.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I'm betting Marcie and Sasha get sent home at the end of season 2 but Anne's not-fully-charged crystal misfires and she has to spend season 3 finding another way back.

I’m betting that failing to charge the box properly was a good thing and will royally gently caress up whatever plan the king has.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Mitchells vs The Machines is out and it's legit fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Going to wait for the final release (assuming it's not Fall or something equally stupid) but if they cut some big chunk of the episode out I'm pirating it on principle :colbert: