Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

thelaughingman posted:

Cartoon network announced its new line-up.
It looks like the network is going back to what it knows since their direction towards reality shows didn't pan out. I couldn't be happier.

The Steak Justice posted:

The Looney Tunes thing looks like a serious disappointment, though.
Cartoon Network has been hit or miss with its Loony Tunes endeavors in the past. Duck Dodgers was awesome, but the less said about Baby Loony Tunes, the better.

I'm also excited for Young Justice. CN has a great track record with its DC shows.

e: Yay, I get to backtrack!

According to this http://www.avclub.com/articles/cartoon-network-to-create-new-looney-tunes-get-rea,40389/, CN will continue adding more live-action stuff in the vein of sports programming.

Also, the new Loony Tunes show sounds horrible.

The article posted:

The Looney Tunes Show “takes Bugs and Daffy out of the woods and puts them into the suburbs with ‘colorful neighbors’ including Yosemite Sam, Granny, Tweety and Sylvester,” while “Merrie Melodies” will become two-minute music videos of “classic characters singing original songs,” and those stalwart Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons will get a computer-animated makeover.
Yeesh.

Episode fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
The thing that kind of blows my mind, is that the creator of Johnny Test, Scott Fellows, also created the somewhat entertaining Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.. He even wrote a few decent episodes of that show, which suggests he isn't a talentless hack.

But, yeah, TV is a group effort and quality doesn't matter if you're ratings are solid, etc...

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

I guess they needed a way around the mandatory 3 season death age for their most profitable program.

e: Here's hoping for Chowder Alien Force or some bullshit.

Chowder: Food Congregation Alpha!
If nothing else, I can always dream...

As far as the Ben 10 thing? I dunno. Maybe a 'NEW SERIES!' every other year makes the concept look fresher than it really is?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

thelaughingman posted:

So, any thoughts on Generator Rex?

The monkey sidekick is one of the most annoying characters on television right now. Otherwise, it seems like standard action fare for the Ben 10 crowd. Nothing interesting really jumped out at me personally, though.

Digital Scumbag posted:

I was feeling nostalgic and decided to put on an episode of Rocko's Modern Life for my daughter.
It doesn't really hold up that well. It's definitely a product of the time it was created in. On the other hand, Rugrats is still pretty fantastic.
I'd like to see some of the early season episodes again some day. I remember them being pretty ingenious. It's too bad the show quickly and unfairly got blamed for being too saccharine early on. It didn't help that Nickelodeon and Klasky-Csupo ran it into the ground eventually, either.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
Oh boy, now CN can oversaturate the programming line-up with another cheaply made French cartoon! Gee, I hope they run this back to back with the horribly unfunny Garfield Show?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What episode was this? I don't believe I remember that scene (somehow I didn't know what phone sex was when I was 12).

'Canned'. Rocko loses his job at a giant comic book store and spends the rest of the episode job hunting.

"Oh baby...Oh baby...Oh baby..."
"...Rocko?"
"Mrs. Bighead!?!"

It's never flat out called 'phone sex'. I think the ad in the paper said something like 'Specialty Phone Operator', but it's pretty drat clear what the writers meant. There's even a sign behind Rocko during the scene that says 'Be Hot, Be Naughty, Be Courteous'.

I miss the lax censorship of early nineties cartoons.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
Normally, I can take or leave Flapjack, but 'Gone Wishing' is a brilliant piece of television.

"Never stop wishing, Flapjack, and all your wishes will come true."
"Even the scary ones?"
"Yes!"

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Flapjack also had the best pun of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsmDdpd3wY&feature=related

Welp, guess I need to watch more Flapjack. For some reason, I just can't get into it. I acknowledge that it can be brilliant and funny a lot, but something about the show just makes me blasé and I wind up ignoring it.

For whoever cares, CN ordered an additional 20 episodes of Generator Rex.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/28/ben-10-ultimate-alien-generator-rex-renewed-by-cartoon-network/49931

Apparently, and unsurprisingly, the premiere was a hit last week. I guess we can all look forward to Generator Rex: The Next Generatortion in a few years, as well as the inevitable GR/Ben 10 crossover.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Meeble posted:

I think they started to explode in popularity after Kung-Fu Panda. But I think Skunk-fu predates that movie.
That reminds me, here's the new series line-up for Nickelodeon. http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/11/nickelodeon-to-launch-6-new-series-new-seasons-of-16-existing-series/44667,

which includes...

Article posted:

Kung Fu Panda: The Series, Nickelodeon’s second collaboration with DreamWorks Animation, chronicles the further adventures of Po, the energetic, enthusiastic, always hungry martial arts panda as he protects the Valley of Peace from threats of all kind. Based on DreamWorks Animation’s hit feature film Kung Fu Panda, the Nick animated series is executive produced by Cheryl Holliday (King of the Hill, Still Standing, Father of the Pride) and produced at Nickelodeon’s Burbank, Calif. Animation Studios.

I heard somewhere that Nickelodeon was looking into a Monsters Vs. Aliens series as well.

As for the rest of it, House of Anubis looks kind of interesting. T.U.F.F Puppy is the latest production from Butch Hartman (Fairy Godparents, Danny Phantom). Planet Sheen is a Jimmy Neutron spin-off that's been sitting on the back burner for years.

Also of note is the newest incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which, I hear, has a left lot of old school fans cringing. That's set to debut on Nicktoons.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

The 'properties' brochure (http://www.mondotv.it/RIGHTS_PORTFOLIO_MONDOTV_2009_2010-ii.pdf) from that website is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.
Wow, Space Goofs is still around in some sense? I remember seeing that show years ago on Fox. It was completely forgettable.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

When you've got two lead characters that are completely unlikeable, then you have a problem.
Seriously, it could have been decent without the title characters. I stand by that statement.

God, yes. I really wanted to like this one, but the two main characters are physical representations of nails on a chalkboard.

While we're on the subject of Nickelodeon, has anyone seen The Troop? It's a live-action show about a group of teens in a secret international society who are dedicated to fighting monsters. There are some serious shades of Men In Black, the writing is clever, and the cgi monster effects aren't too shabby considering what has to be a small budget. I was kind of surprised by it.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Bringing lovely pop culture down to the U.S. has always been Canada's strong point. See: Celine Dion and Nickelback.

Does that mean that Total Drama Island is also Canadian, since they also made 6teen? I still don't know whether TDI was a spoof of reality TV shows, a subtle way to get kids into reality TV, or both.
Total Drama Island, and all of its horrifying spawn, are indeed from Canada.

drat it, Canada, you used to export funny things like Leslie Nielsen and the late, lamented Phil Hartman. What happened?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

We gave you guys The Raccoons but I'll bet no one watches that anymore.
Granted, you did give the U.S one of the greatest end credits theme songs ever known to man, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWn_i2YiBYg&feature=related, but my argument still stands.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Muppetjedi posted:

I remember really liking Lizzie Mcguire when it was on air. Its probably the best 'live action tween show' Disney has done.

I reluctantly admit that this show wasn't as annoyingly intolerable as many would admit.
I wouldn't call it the best. Technically, Even Stevens earns that title in my opinion, with Canadian import Life with Derek coming in at a close second (assuming that counts as a true Disney show).

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.
My brain doesn't want to work right now. What episode is this?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Motherfucking Fraggle Rock :neckbeard:
Aw...I wish my cable provider had the Hasbro Network. :(

thelaughingman posted:

edit: alot of cartoons have made jokes about Citizen Kane. Pinky and brain did a parody of "the third man" and animaniacs and freekazoid had a few "space 2001" and "Apocalypse Now" gags.

As far as Orson Welles stuff, Pinky and The Brain went one step further than that with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXEC8kcbqc

...which is a brilliant parody of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE&feature=related

I remember being really bored with the 'Third Man' episode when I was a kid. It kind of bums me out, because The Third Man has become one of my favorite movies since then and it makes me want to see that old episode of P&TB again.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Sockser posted:

Oh, there was an episode of Tiny Toons which was a parody of Citizen Kane.

Montana Max says "Acme" and Buster tries to figure it out

Tiny Toons also featured a great take on Sunset Boulevard with Elmyra as the washed up actress and Montana Max(?) as William Holden's ill-fated protagonist.

I love how those old Spielberg produced cartoons like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, etc. introduced old Hollywood films to newer generations.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Disney XD showed Pinky and the Brain for about three months and I want it back.

Edit: Anybody else notice the clever use of a cliche in Phineas and Ferb with the Little Mary MacGuffin doll?

P&F writers love film-based references and humor. 'The Chronicles of Meap', for example, is loaded with sci-fi movie humor.

One of my favorites is in the episode where Candace uses a flying car to save her brothers. At one point during the flight, there's a music cue that's inspired, to say the least, by the musical score from Back To The Future.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Does The Spectacular Spider-Man count as a current kid's show? Or does it officially being axed by Marvel mean we don't care about it anymore :(
I care. That show was miles ahead of the horribly animated, poorly written Spider-Man cartoon that I grew up with in the 90's.

Sucks it got canned.

Spectacular Spider-Man, I mean, not the 90's toon that lived far longer than it should have, and then spawned a thankfully short-lived spin-off where Spider-Man goes to an alien planet full of anthropomorphic animals repressed by some authoritarian regime.

gently caress that bullshit.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

soooo what's your opinion on the MTV one based off the movies? I only liked it because of its bitching intro music, and Neil Patrick Harris made an interesting Peter Parker/Spider-Man

That was Neil Patrick Harris? I'll be damned.

I didn't catch a lot of the episodes before MTV canned it, but it was pretty unremarkable to me. Although, I do seem to remember the show having good take on Electro, with the villain being made of electricity instead of just controlling it.

PicklePants posted:

The art style behind it was pretty awful looking, if I recall. I couldn't make it through an episode.
Yeah, it was kind of like cel shading over cheap CGI or something. I didn't find it too off-putting at the time, but I would think that it has aged horribly since then.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Ha ha, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Wait wait... wait. You're telling me that Wolverine and the X-Men is getting renewed, but Spider-Man, one of the most popular comics/cartoons/superheroes gets shafted? Come on Disney, the guy responsible for Gargoyles was doing it, you were sitting on a goldmine right there.

:sigh: sometimes

The stupid thing, is that it looks like Spectacular got chucked just so Marvel can produce a new Spider-Man cartoon...

Wikipedia Article posted:

Marvel announced that a new series based on the Ultimate Spider-Man storyline will be aired on Disney XD in Fall 2011. It will chronicle the adventures of a teenage Peter Parker and his attempts at dealing with his new abilities, his parent's legacy, and new supervillains arriving in the city. The series will involve other guest Marvel superheroes. President of Marvel Animation Eric S. Rollman stated, "Ultimate Spider-Man will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action, and character growth."

Sounds familiar, don't it?

Basically, they're pointlessly rebooting Spectacular Spider-Man, but only after Marvel chased off the top talent from the old show.

On the plus side, Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) is producing the Young Justice series that's going to be on CN, so at that might turn out for the better.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Soooo, I've never read a lot of the Ultimate series, but does it follow (kind of) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series? I was actually kind of happy that they were keeping up with Peter's original streak with the ladies instead of just chickening out and setting him up with Mary Jane in Spectacular Spider-Man

I don't think I've touched a Marvel comic since the 90's, but I do know that the Ultimate universe started Peter Parker off in high school and that he eventually hooked up with MJ because it's a Spider-Man comic and that's how it goes.

Spectacular Spider-Man cherry picked from the original Marvel universe, Ultimate universe, and the movie series, respectively.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

He's not with her now. Honestly Ultimate Spider-man is pretty great and I'd be fine if they just animated an adaptation of it.

I've heard nothing but good things of the Ultimate Spider-Man series, so I'm cautiously optimistic that a good creative team can do an awesome take of it in the new cartoon.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
I really don't have a problem with the new character designs. They haven't been drastically changed and they look nice and vibrant.

If anything, my gripe is with the hackneyed, sitcom premise of Bugs and Daffy being roommates in suburbia interspersed with 'Music Videos'. I'm a hard sell on musical stuff.
But, if the writing is classic, clever Loony Toons humor, it might not be that bad.

thelaughingman posted:

Well, Joe Murray has a new animation website.

There's a test episode for 'Frog In A Suit' here, as well as Murray explaining the whole situation pretty well despite looking like he just came off of a three-day bender.

I'm not really sold on it yet. KaboingTV sounds like something that would have been innovative seven or eight years ago when flash cartoons weren't a dime a dozen and channels like Cartoon Network and Disney didn't offer free episodes of their shows on their websites. I think it's going to be hard for Murray to generate a lot of interest in his pet project.

I wish him the best of luck, though. I can appreciate going the independent route, and I do hope something comes of this even though I'm really pessimistic.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

Speaking of the Angry Beavers, did the final episode ever get released in any way? Supposedly it utterly trashed Nick's strategy of showing tons of re-runs and awkward way of releasing new episodes of shows, and was never aired.

There's also this audio track featuring voice actors Richard Horvitz (Dag) and Nick Bakay (Norb) recreating the last episode for a podcast. Don't know how legit it is though.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

The other potential spin-off- the talk show where they interview celebrities- sounds like it could be interesting, as the idea sounds like it could be a lot like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Though to really up the comic potential, they'd have to put Doofenshmirtz and/or Monogram in there somehow- as some of the promotional materials and the "top 10 music video" episode show, they're definitely funny apart, but make an even better team (which I guess isn't suprising, as Povenmire and Marsh have known each other for like 15 years now).

While the celebrity interview thing sounds a little sketchy, I approve of Povenmire and Marsh riffing off of each other.

I wonder how involved they would actually be in the spin-offs? The interview show features Phineas and Ferb if the New York Times article is to be believed, so Dan and Jeff would probably have a significant hand in it. However, the Fireside Girls show suggests an Executive Producer credit at best for the two.

Naturally, this is all conjecture.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

*In the later years of the series, "shut up" was a big taboo. There was one episode where a "shut up" had to be overdubbed with "shush up" but Nick Bakay wasn't available in time to do it for the first airing, so it originally aired with the "shut" being bleeped- which made me think he was saying "gently caress off" since the "up" sounded a little like "off."
Ha, ha. I remember seeing that episode as a kid and making up a bunch of conspiracy theories with friends about how that must have been a gag take that censors missed at the last second resulting in Nickelodeon having to bleep it. It did get dubbed over for subsequent airings.

mobo85 posted:

except of course for Rich and Nick calling each other by their real names (and Nick being called "Salem"), which I assume is just the voice actors being goofy during their recreation.
Probably pointless trivia, but Nick Bakay also voiced Salem the Cat in the live action Sabrina the Teenage Witch show, as well as the animated series. Not that I'm a fan of the shows, dude just has a really distinctive voice.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

Having just watched the first Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc., I'm still a bit on the fence. It reminds me of that Simpsons line where Roger Meyers is asking kids what they want to see on Itchy and Scratchy: "You want a realistic, down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?" You still have Scooby-Doo running around, being a goofball, and dressing in drag while solving mysteries with the kids, but at the same time the kids are looked down upon by their parents because of this nonsense they go through- mainly because the town's tourism is based around all of these fake monsters. It's an interesting idea, but it just doesn't seem to "gel" with the whole goofy, carefree image of Scooby-Doo and the gang. And for some reason there's also a black radio DJ with an afro and a guy named Mr E. who's warning them that there's a deeper mystery behind the mystery or something. And he's voiced by Lewis Black. And Shaggy's dad is voiced by Casey Kasem, which I thought was clever. And Velma and Shaggy like each other but they don't want Fred and Daphne to know.
Huh. I didn't put much stock in the new SD show becasue I got burned out on the one-note premise when I was a kid and I figured this was more of the same. I might have to catch this if they're mixing it up a bit.

And to give the show a preemptive benefit of the doubt, pilot episodes generally suck and it takes a while for a show to find it's groove. If it ever does.

Also, awesome voice actors.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Behonkiss posted:

You did. They even show them at the end of that commercial. Those CG shorts are going to be a separate segment.

And some theatrical shorts are proving that CG Looney Tunes actually can look really good: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/looney-tunes-exclusive-clip-coyote-falls.html

And yes, that's the site the SA "Animation Website" articles were poking fun at. They're notoriously biased in some aspects.

drat, the movie shorts and the tv shorts are like night and day. I hope they focus more on 2D animation in the show instead of churning out a bunch of cheap looking CG filler.

Pre-emptive: Yes, I'm aware the movie shorts probably had a much larger budget.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

It's my understanding that only the Road Runner shorts will be CGI and the rest of the series will be traditional animation.

Yeah, digging around online gave me that impression too.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Isn't that the same group who made the Duck Dodgers cartoon?
If this is true, it gives me hope.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This looks like it could be incredibly terrible.
Man, Bell looks really uncomfortable in that still.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
The whole 'Flapjack got canceled' rumor has been floating around since Chowder got canned. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

IRQ posted:

It seems like CN and Nick only do like 3 seasons of any show then can them for no reason. The only exceptions I can think of are those cash cow live action tween sitcom shows where they make the lead also do really lovely autotuned music.
That's mostly Disney and, to a certain degree Nick.

Nick doesn't do much in the way of animation anymore, but shows like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents have gone on for years and, in the case of the former, are still truckin' along.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Kipory posted:

More on the Oddparent's thing:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-culture/fairly-odd.html

So, are they going to CG Hines and Alexander's heads onto tiny bodies? Because that would be terrifying.

Kipory posted:

Hmm? What's this about Yogi Be----aaagggh
Aw, geez, Dan Ackroyd, you used to be cool. :(

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Chibs posted:

Yeah, he's not a very good Yogi. He says average instead of a-ver-age. :colbert:

Bets on next old cartoon/comic strip movie anyone? My money's still on Cathy.

I'm betting on a live action Family Circus where the kids are unnecessarily done in CGI. Just imagine a bunch of digitally created midgets with creepy oversized smiles.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
There's this annoying voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying 'Watterson will die one day and his family will want more money...'

Anyway, weren't we talking about kid's shows at one point?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
Ha Ha, sweet, I'm glad this thread touched upon the Chowder finale. What a wonderful series.

Cartoon Network will be less fun and bizarre without this show.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Sockser posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3333002

Also it played on Disney XD a few days ago already.
We have a P&F thread? Awesome.

But, since we're on the subject, I liked that Phineas displayed some emotional range outside of boundless optimism in the special. I was in tears when he just snapped at Candace out of nowhere near the end of the episode.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

nfreakct posted:

Hey look, Regular Show has a trailer!

Don't watch. It's an evil show.
My sense of humor just exploded.

They showed a teaser during Adventure Time! tonight that was just Mordecai and Rigby groaning in disgust because a grocer didn't have what they wanted.
There was absolutely no reason for it to be funny, and I was laughing my rear end off. This is going to be a great show.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
The clip lost me when greenshirt turned around and flashed that unbearably smug look around 1:12. After that, I wanted to beat him up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/flapjack-ends-tonight.html

I just saw this article saying that the last episode of Flapjack (the live action one) was going to air tonight. What's weird is, I'm pretty sure I've seen 0 promotion for this, so I don't know what's going on.
Yeah, I just confirmed this on my TV listings. Thanks for the heads-up. I've also seen no promotion whatsoever.

What the hell, CN?
I know there's all this crap about keeping people in the dark about series finales, but even Chowder got a constantly run 'special episode' advert for its send off (To say nothing of the whole freaking marathon that preceded the final episode).

This isn't even Flapjack's regularly scheduled night.