Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Also, I've been watching Fairly Oddparents recently, and I looked it up and saw they are making a live action movie.

The picture and this blurb makes me want to see it so loving bad

Really? Because I can't imagine any way this will be good. But then again, I've been saying that Nick needs to put the final nail on Fairly Oddparents' coffin for a while now. Every time I think it's gone, they come back with some made for TV movie. It and Spongebob are the two shows it seems that Nick will never let die. As long as they're going to keep one of Hartman's babies on life support way past it's expiration date, why couldn't it have been Danny Phantom? Am I the only guy who loved that show?

By the way, awesome thread, I am glad I found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

So for that Firebreather movie did they ever even kind of explain the mechanics of how a giant monster and a regular sized human woman had a kid?

No, thank goodness. Leaving a whole lot of questions that don't need to be answered.

I enjoyed Young Justice but every portion with the League felt weird. I know the opening was supposed to paint them as being sort-of-dicks, but man, near the end they're all staring at the kids like they were the ones at fault. I did enjoy Superman's awkward "We'll find you someplace to stay" around Superboy though.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 27, 2010

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Really, this show doesn't bother me that much, its just the premise seems like it's trying to be a really low-budget Adventure Time. Also, Jesus, I don't care if the character designs are terribly hideous, could they turn down the neon a bit on that show? I'm having to re-adjust my monitor settings to not burn out my eyes.

fake edit:

Magnus Condomus posted:

Wikipedia says it used to be called Neon Knome and was going to be on AS, but was retooled for Cartoon Network.

Suddenly it makes sense now. It was going to be Adventure Time for AS, but apparently at some point... now it isn't?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Question: when and where can this pony show that is apparently pretty good be found? I haven't seen any advertising anywhere.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Horse Pepsi posted:

Power Rangers is returning with Power Rangers: Samurai on Nickelodeon (tonight at 8PM ET and Sundays at noon after this week). Paul Schrier is returning as Bulk and apparently the theme song is a redone version of the original MMPR theme. :toot:

Really? I get that he's a legacy character, and maybe since kids have been watching the re-run MMPR they'll know who he is, but just let the man retire.

Horse Pepsi posted:

The Super Sentai has a pirate motif and the Rangers have the power to change into all 35 previous Super Sentai teams. :aaa:

:aaaaa:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I can't stop laughing. It's like the costume designers were just sitting around saying "How do we get the idea that he's the sixth ranger across to the audience?" then a few minutes later one guy said "We could glue tiny versions of all the old 6th ranger helmets to him...", and then they just went with it.

Oh, and the Red Sentai guy's name is Captain Marvelous. I don't want that part to get changed in translation at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Every time I see a trailer for that show Problem Solverz air, I keep thinking "Well, maybe there's a tiny chance it could be good..." but then I think about it some more and it will be a goddamn miracle if that show subverts my expectations.

Basically, what I'm saying is it's a drat shame that Symbionic Titan looks to be getting shitcanned while this gets on the air.

On the other hand, Green Lantern: TAS is coming... :allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

A new version of Ben 10?

Man, Ben 10 was a good show, Alien Force was terrible, and whatever the current one is is even worse

Alien Force wasn't that bad once you got past some of the changes in characterization (i.e. Gwen's powers come from aliens instead of magic, Kevin is somehow good). I haven't caught any of the newest iteration, but yes, vanilla Ben 10 was a very fun show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like I said, I hold out a little bit of hope that Problem Solverz will blow my mind and it will be awesome. I do like that they're taking risks. I don't imagine anything like Regular Show would have gotten on the air if CN weren't.

JethroMcB posted:

I can't wait to see 20 hours worth of commercials for Level Up and then have it premiere, fail and never be heard of again, (Note that "Tower Prep" is not on that returning shows list.) Scripted live action programming is never going to be your forte, CN.

On that note, is any of the live-action stuff good? I don't know whether they just program it all at times when I'm not watching TV or what, but the extent of my experience with that stuff is stumbling onto one episode of "Dude, What Would Happen?"

It... wasn't very good, but maybe it was just the one episode?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just want to point out that the CN who "is taking risks" canceled Megas XLR. Nothing shall ever make me not frown at them. Nothing. Not even if they restarted it. I'd still frown at them for cancelling it in the first place.

Man, it was 2005. That was like, 10 years ago or something :v:. But seriously, times change.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I would say that Disney has managed to still effectively whore out Mickey and co. but then I can't really think of anything groundbreaking they've done with those characters anytime in recent memory either.

Well, they might be doing something sooner than you think. Also, this might fall too far into the "whoring out" side, but how about Kingdom Hearts?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the things hurting New Looney Tunes is the seemingly total lack of music. I mean, it's not like the old cartoons had a running background theme all the time, but from the clips that are up now, the only noise is Bugs and Daffy talking.

Oh, and I watched one of the Coyote/Roadrunner sketches and what happened to the opening music? I mean, I understand that since this is in a thirty-minute block now, they're not going to start every segment off individually, but that intro sounded terrible...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

I think The Looney Tunes show has a little promise promise.

For some reason, that seems like an Aqua Teen Hunger Force clip, starring Daffy Duck as Master Shake.

e: I am not opposed to this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

Those were magic rocks those catapults were probably firing, or Mumm-ra is now Nicolas Cage from Lord of War and gave the Lizardmen quite a deal on refurbished Mech Warrior units.

I like this idea. In fact, given Nic Cage's current career moves and tendency to overact, he could probably play Mumm-ra.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, that sounds like a more cop-out-ish version of one of my favorite episodes of The Batman. Hugo Strange develops a drug that turns people into zombies and so Batman and Robin are on the run the entire episode. Eventually, after they get Robin, Batman figures out an antidote and is about to disperse it via a bunch of gas bombs. Eventually, Zombie Batgirl, Robin and Commissioner Gordon catch him, and it turns out that the drug was actually just a hallucinogen and everybody's been chasing Batman to stop him from releasing the "antidote" which was actually the real poison.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

There is so very much not-awesome to The Batman though.

This is true. But honestly, I'd say it's more good than bad, when you look at the series as a whole.

Plus, as cheesy as it is, I loving love The Batman vs. Dracula.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Now we're wandering into copy cat territory.

That's literally what jumped to my mind. Bruce is gonna be pissed when he finds out Terry's been skipping his Bat-duties to be a Voltron pilot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You know, for all that article points out as wrong, I can't take it seriously.

quote:

Stuart Snyder succeeded Samples and, with his new title and power, has been the reason why so much quality programming, like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, has been canceled.

Billy & Mandy ran for 7 seasons and got multiple TV movies. CN ran that poo poo into the ground. Whining about it getting canceled is ridiculous, as is ragging on the president for doing so. I don't really like CN's live-action shows, but the way I've seen it, it's cheap to make, and it gets viewers, so good on them for surviving a recession.

quote:

Along with some half-baked animated shows like The Problem Solverz (I don’t even know how to go about explaining this one) and MAD (an ill-conceived attempt at turning a good magazine into an animated mess slandered with weak pop culture jokes), Cartoon Network is in dire need of some original content. But, even when promising shows cross Cartoon Network’s path, they eventually are swept away by cancellation.

Among the newer shows that Cartoon Network produces, there have been some gems including cult favorites: Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, and the recently canceled Sym-Bionic Titan.

Okay, MAD sucks. Haven't watched Problem Solverz, but I've heard mixed reviews. Chowder and Flapjack both got a chance to do a finale episode (from what I've heard, Thurop chose to end Flapjack himself, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I might be talking out of my rear end here).

Foster's ran for 6 seasons and had multiple movies! Granted, Sym-bionic Titan and Chowder definitely were ended prematurely, with creators wanting to do more, but that doesn't indicate some "trend" of canceling shows. Just because the network isn't producing as much original content as it did in the 90s and their president quit doesn't mean that suddenly, the network is some roving beast looking to destroy your favorite shows.

She also references bringing back Titan as a possibility because fans brought back Futurama and Family Guy, but fails to reference the fact that Adult Swim ran those shows (still does with FG) since nearly its inception, providing the fanbase (and DVD sales) that proved to network executives that bringing them back was a viable option. Overall, the whole page seems to be an excuse to poo poo on Stuart Snyder for some recent decisions. In conclusion, this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

I wonder what effect this will have on the cereal.

A cutaway gag in every box!

e: But seriously, I am not enthused about this. Is America really hurting for a Flintstones remake? I guess somebody at Hanna-Barbera saw The Looney Tunes Show and thought "We need to get on this boat!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Didn't they already do that though? And nobody liked it?

Yes, and not that I'm aware of.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love Brave and the Bold, but I can't bring myself to root for it when it's up against Operation P.R.O.M. drat, that was a fine episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Farbtoner posted:

The crazy thing about Freakazoid is that Spielberg wanted it to be a more serious action show and the network made him use the same wacky humor as Animaniacs and Tiny Toons, yet it ended up being way better than either of them.

Actually, Spielberg wanted it wacky, Bruce Timm wanted to play it straight. Later on, Timm basically made his more serious Freakazoid with an episode of Batman featuring the Creeper. And it was great. I wish he had gotten some more show time in JLU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have just discovered the greatest show ever made in the 90's. It's called Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I literally cannot not stop laughing at it because of how bad it is. There is a kid in the show who I swear is literally channeling Lex Luthor. If I get a chance I'll upload one of the one minute recaps that shows why this show is so glorious.

All the works been done for me. Episode 1's recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-PrqIx24M

Holy poo poo, that Luthor kid made me lose it. If anybody's on the fence about watching this video, just cut to 20 seconds in.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Tim Curry voiced the villain?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

That's a pretty poo poo article, he seems to be suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with a comedy that doesn't have slapstick and puns.

I don't think he's implying there's something inherently wrong with that kind of comedy, just lamenting at the fact that it's the only kind on the market nowadays.

Also, I'd say there's definitely something wrong with a cartoon without at least a little slapstick, but that could just be my Looney Tunes upbringing talking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also I picked up the complete set of Teen Titans a show that I had been nolstagiaing about and well it's kind of bad now. When it was on I watched it (and Justice League) religiously but, now I fast forward through most episodes. The voice acting is still great but, I can't quite put my finger on why I'm having trouble watching it. I guess it's just my poor taste in shows shining through.

I think it's because, in retrospect, a lot of episodes of Teen Titans just aren't very good. I also watched TT religiously back when it was on the air. I mean, the whole point of the show was kind of to have wacky adventures in comparison to the more serious JLU, but a lot of the episodes are so focused on being funny that it crosses the line from "wacky superhero show" to "loving annoying slapstick". For example, I just can't rewatch any of the episodes that feature Mad Mod. Goddamn those are focused on too much stupidity and not enough hero-ing. The best ones either balance the comedy and the action or are straight-up action (like the final run, man I liked those episodes).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

That's because everybody likes Ron Perlman.

Seriously, I hate Deathstroke in comics, but I loved Teen Titans' Slade. I'm also glad they just used Slade, as "Deathstroke" always struck me as a little over the top in villain names. Especially when use the whole line of "Deathstroke the Terminator" it sounds especially silly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

Why is her broom a vacuum?

Looks more like a funky-rear end guitar to me. Also echoing the "What the hell?" sentiment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm more angry or impressed at the fact that they used a Minecraft reference. Every time I see a clip of MAD, it just depresses me a little. So much potential, squandered all over the place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobo85 posted:

Disney Channel's latest live-action sitcom has a name and description that sounds like a parody of Disney Channel sitcoms. AND YET DOG WITH A BLOG IS REAL.

That article posted:

Dog With A Blog centers on 15-year-old Tyler and Kayla, who have just become step-siblings but don’t get along because they’re very different: Tyler is popular, social and gets by on his looks, while Kayla is super smart, socially responsible and despises guys like Tyler.

Blogging dog aside, that premise sounds incredibly similar to some other show that Disney already made but I can't remember the name of...

e: Found it. It's Life with Derek with 100% more blogging dogs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But season 5 had the lead character beating the ever-lovin' gently caress out of Digimon so it's clearly the best season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fishylungs posted:

Please tell me he doesn't have some sort of magic punch and it really is just him punchy the gently caress out of Digimon like it's no big deal.

This also makes me really wish I could play Digimon World 1 again. I wish they had another game similar to that. :(

You are correct. In fact, from what I'm told, he HAS to punch Digimon to get his to digivolve. That's why his fist goes glowy from time to time. It's just him somehow collecting data via fists (or something like that, I've never watched anything of season 5 past that video, but other goons in other threads assure me that all the punches are non-powered except by hot blood).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RebelWorm posted:

You have no idea how much this news infuriates me.

Oh, I think I do. Excuse me while I go outside and scream until my throat gets sore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

The Batman was way better than anyone ever gave it credit for :(

THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. Yeah, it has some dumb character designs, but if you look past that, (and ignore the first season which I will admit is pretty bad) then it's a pretty good show. People just look at Rasta Joker and write the series off immediately.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

SMFA is better than MAD by far, a notch below Problem Solverz, a leagues below AT/RS

ANYWHOOOOOOO I checked out the new Green Lantern show and it was... okay. I really don't like how the Red Lanterns are kinda advertised as being the big bad in this show when it would honestly make a lot more loving sense to start with the Sinestro Corps but here we are. And the Red Lanterns are written kinda stupid.

Guess I'll take my talk to the BSS thread, though.

Anything is better than MAD. Well, okay, not Johnny Test, but still.

GL: TAS just disappoints me animation-wise. They said the final product would look better than the clips from Comic-Con that got put up on Youtube, but it still looks pretty rough. I mean, I'm not expecting some sort of amazing Pixar-level 3D, but still, the way it is now is pretty bad. Space is just too empty, which is fine in reality, but in comic-book-land, it should be full of aliens and spaceships and... you know, stuff.

Also, I don't think Bruce Timm's art style really lends itself to 3D. It's the same giant torso, tiny leg style from the old DCAU, but it just looks... off somehow when you put it into CGI.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Jay-Z is one of the richest people in the music industry so yeah, I think he would be a decent person to take some finical advice from.

I believe he's saying that while Jay-Z and many other musicians may be financially sound, the public persona of most rappers is that of a fiscally irresponsible individual.

raditts posted:

That hasn't aired yet? I remember seeing commercials for it months ago on The Hub or something and wondering who the gently caress in the current economy decided it was a good idea to make a TV show starring Warren loving Buffet.

Tweaked your post for accuracy. I don't care about the economy two shits, America could be some golden utopia, and I would still say that Warren Buffet Adventures doesn't sound like a good idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eggie posted:

So I was watching TF: Prime a little more and I realized that they had an illegal street racing episode with no heavy-handed moral at the end. :monocle:

TF Animated had a street racing episode with no moral... kinda. I think there was a moral, but it had nothing to do with street racing. More to do with "Listen to Optimus".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prahanormal posted:

It doesn't help that Chowder got really, really bad by the end of it's run.

Really? I thought it got better towards the end and that the earlier ones were pretty rough. But then, I saw all the episodes in reruns and really out of order, so I really don't have an idea of what's early and late beyond what I can tell by the animation style.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

The SNES Aladdin game loving sucked.

But the Genesis one was :krad:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The video's not from CN, so I ain't buyin' it.

Besides, they're not really in the business of reviving dead properties. The only time I can remember them doing that are those terrible last 2 seasons of Dexter's Lab. Also, that one Powerpuff Girls short, but I don't think that counts.

e: Well, after a quick trip to Wikipedia, apparently Johnny Bravo went into limbo and was retooled twice, but I still think bringing back a show after 9 years is a bit... ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobo85 posted:

For some reason, Cartoon Network has been airing Level Up commercial-free for the past number of weeks now. I have no idea why. According to a recent New York Times article, not showing commercials actually nullifies your Nielsen ratings. I'm not sure if this is what CN is intentionally doing to inflate their ratings or not, but it would be rather odd to given all the promotion they've been giving the show. Are they actually unsure of it?

Wouldn't shock me. I mean, they've been plugging it in every other conceivable way, so the only reason not to run commercials is to nullify ratings. I don't know, I don't think I've heard of anybody liking it, and frankly, given the quality of CN's last couple of attempts at live-action shows, I'm shocked Level Up even exists.

HypnoCabbage posted:

That bugs me on some level. Why is it that, with the exception of Phineas and Ferb and maybe Fish Hooks, pretty much everything Disney runs on its XD channel seems to be so much better than the stuff on Disney Channel proper? Not that Zeke and Luther is particularly good or anything, but at least it's trying to be different and isn't the same overly broad junk you can find elsewhere.

Man, that bothers me too. Seriously, Disney, I want to watch Avengers without going to Youtube. Just let me give you my ratings/viewership/precious minutes of my life without having to upgrade my cable package, dammit.

VVV: God, I wish I could afford Netflix. The only reason I have cable at all is because my on-campus housing provides it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 13, 2012