Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Several years ago, I hated Rocket Power so much that I wrote an angry oral presentation on it in my freshman college Communications seminar.
Please tell me you still have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was really hoping this was going to say that USM had been cancelled.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Helbeast posted:

:(: But now how will I know if Antman and Wasp get married and Antman slaps her?
The cancellation is actually just a cover story. The network wasn't going to allow spousal abuse, and the production team refused to have an incarnation of Hank Pym that doesn't beat his wife.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Jesus what is Jeph's problem?
Jeph Loeb kind of lost it after his son died of bone cancer at 17 in 2005. It's like how Frank Miller went insane after 9/11, only a lot more personal.

That's probably a lot more serious and depressing of an answer than you were expecting for a question that boiled down to "Why does this guy make bad decisions about cartoons?"

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 8, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Is... it bad that I didn't like Spectacular Spider-Man?
I just couldn't get how hideous the character designs were in that show.
The animation team had to choose between detailed character designs, and something that looked good in motion. They chose right. Spider-Man is all about fluid movement, and having complex character designs and a kid's cartoon budget are not conducive to that.

Also the dialogue is amazing, as is the fact that they made Liz Allan an actual character.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So was Earth's Mightiest Heroes as good as Spectacular Spider-Man? Because I heard the finale was disappointing, whereas the finale of SSM was loving great and the only problem was that it was the series finale instead of the season finale because of Disney fuckery.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I finished my rewatch of Spectacular Spider-Man, and I'm sad all over again that it didn't get a third season. Or a fourth. Or a fifth.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

El Tortuga posted:

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool.
You think that's cool?
How about every Ranger ever and also about a hundred more?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 6, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

404GoonNotFound posted:

There were fifteen seasons of Super Sentai before Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, yes. Apparently, Saban wanted to bring over Jetman first (pretty much a live-action riff on G-Force/Battle of the Planets, and widely regarded as one of the best seasons ever), but it took too long to work out the rights.
Jetman's ending is a work of goddamn art and I'm glad Saban never got its hands on it seeing the awful mess that is Samurai.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think Pup Named Scooby-Doo did that too.
That show was way better than it had any right to be.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

Sure about that?
Red Herring will never not be funny to me.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm torn. Literally the only good thing about Motorcity was the art and Megas XLR was just the same joke told over and over so I hope they learned some new tricks since then.
The REGIS episode is a work of genius.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Close both the Adventure Time and Korra thread and have them all post here. :twisted:
Merge the AT and Korra threads.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd recommend Korra to people who have an unabashed love for the world of Avatar and who don't have an irrational hatred of :gonk:r-r-r-ROMANCE:gonk:.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Korra was a good show that everyone had different ideas about how it could realize its amazing potential.

Toxxupation hated it from day one because he thought the lead female character having breasts was meant to appeal to pedophiles.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

axleblaze posted:

...wouldn't a pedophile want the character to not have breasts?
I mean, if you wanna get technical about the words used to talk about people who want to gently caress minors, then yeah.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

if was one more day
You can't even remember which one it was.
Also I never got probated for shitposting in a thread about a show I act smugly superior about not watching, so I have that over you.

Nor did I ever write about how it was "retarded" that a Nickelodeon show didn't end with a 12 year old killing a man.

What I'm saying is we're both spergs who hate each other and are clearly obsessive about poo poo the other did years ago.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 31, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like an overreaction. Unless he was stealing it from the morgue to have sex with it, maybe. Then an executive order seems more reasonable. Comics getting dark these days.
Doc Ock swapped bodies with Peter and attempted to use it to commit rape by fraud without it really being called rape by fraud, which I felt was something that shouldn't have happened in a Spider-Man comic. Coincidentally, the President tweeted a picture of himself playing with a kid dressed like Spider-Man in the Oval Office when that story happened. Perhaps I would not have facetiously tweeted him demanding that he do something about it if I had known that it would still somehow be remembered.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thread was talking about Young Justice earlier, and that show was really good, but Spectacular Spider-Man was an even better show by Greg Wiesman that got cancelled far before its time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

The worst part of all that is that he won't even answer questions like "What did you have planned for the third season of Young Justice?" because ~spoilers!~

Like jerkass answer our questions, the show is never getting another season or comic or movie, stop loving blueballing your loyal fans. It's not our fault you set us up for an Earth supervillain/Apokalips teamup and then failed to deliver.
The reason he gives for Spectacular Spider-Man is a lot more palatable, namely that the writing on that show was a collaborative process and he doesn't want to say what his ideas were as though they're absolutely what would have happened.
Also as much as it sucks leaving the show on a cliffhanger, there was no loving way Greg could have been able to forsee Disney buying Marvel and Sony losing the television rights.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Helbeast posted:

Closer to release I'm going to make a thread for it, it's a good show, better than even Adventure time.

Also I clicked the link in your AV, I don't know what any of that means.

E: EMH is like the 4th best superhero show ever made after like XMEN, BTAS, and JL/JLU.
Sounds like someone hasn't seen Spectacular Spider-Man, or just really likes the X-Men.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It was always gonna take a miracle for a live-action ATLA remake to be good, and I'm glad it fell apart now rather than later.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
lmao
https://twitter.com/aangvengers/status/1294092832085544963

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

The video and these comments put into words everything that seemed "off" about the first book.

and

When fictional universes with superpowers or which place tons of emphasis on "natural talents" do this, it's difficult to see this kind of intended metaphor because of differences between people in terms of natural ability being far and few between compared to differences which wealth enable. My brain just kind of starts to tune it out as making as little sense as the idea of superpowers in the first place

I have thought for eight goddamn years now that an amazing twist would have been that Amon absolutely was given energybending by the spirits, but he was supposed to use it to give everyone bending, and he did the opposite because of his own personal trauma.

Arist posted:

the two latter seasons of korra are still good and the first two were never good

People liked the Avatar Wan story when it came out but the Book 2 video of that series makes a pretty damning case against it.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 15, 2020

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
To put a finer point on it: the concept of the Four Nations is essential to the world of Avatar, and any story in that world that attempts to apply modern sociopolitical thought to such a world is doomed to unfortunate implications at best from the outset.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I don't know about that, but the reason the third and fourth seasons are good is because the writing is good and the characters work, not because they suddenly master the sociopolitical implications or whatever

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Mako and Bolin are never good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

X_Toad posted:

Yeah, it's obvious that the creators didn't really care about the "politics" of their characters or their universe, hence why it can be so frustrating.
But what's crazy is that the politics of the A:TLA are pretty loving radical, all things considered, saying straight up that colonialism is genocide and that the idea of a military spreading prosperity is a horrible lie used to indoctrinate children of imperialist nations.
In conclusion, Bryke is a land of contrasts.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

I mean in the end you can trace almost all of Korra's problems to the fact it was planned to be one season/miniseries (and you can tell because of how cleanly everything got wrapped up with Korra unlocking airbending and getting a boyfriend and Aang saying good job) but then Nick wanted more and so the rest of the series was kind of flying by the seat of its pants.

So, a little bit of trivia: A:TLA was originally only picked up for 13 episodes, meaning that The Blue Spirit would have been the series finale if it didn't get renewed. The creators went in with a 3-season plan and they stuck to it. With Korra they had to fight tooth and nail to even get Book One (even though it was basically guaranteed to be a success) and they didn't want to disappoint their fanbase by returning only to leave an unfinished story. I get why they did it but I feel like the result kind of speaks for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Apparently the ATLA creators have formed their own studio and an animated film set in the same universe is in the works:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

Avatar The Last Airbender has aged amazingly well but Legend of Korra has aged really loving terribly so I have no idea how this is going to turn out.