Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TwoPair posted:

Wait, what Gundam failed? Wing was a huge success and G Gundam made it to the end. I know I'm forgetting some, but I thought Gundam had a pretty good track record in the US.

Wing and G were successes, but they were practically the only ones that were. Among other mishandlings, after Wing and G proved to be hits Bandai pretty much tried to force the original series onto Toonami and it went over like a lead balloon, and that sort of killed Gundam in the US insofar as no series could ever get anywhere near the success that Wing or even G had. Toonami got Seed later on but that was, well, Seed, and it didn't do so well. Even as a kid I thought Seed was dreadfully boring and I didn't know anyone who liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The second season of The Big O was a lot weaker than the first, but I wouldn't call it poo poo. The plot went to hell in a handbasket, but the season premier and the super robot parody episode were worth it.

The biggest problem with the second season is that the more serial episodes are a lot less fun than the monster-of-the-week episodes from the first season, in part because the plot starts to smell pretty early on. I don't know, I'd like to think a third season could have at least partially redeemed it, but that was like eight years ago and there's no point living in the past.

Edit: Also the second season had the Big Duo Inferno, that was pretty cool even though Alan Gabriel was a much less interesting character than Schwarzwald.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Vaerai Archon posted:

No it was poo poo, the Japanese Studio had this big loving epic ending planned that involved Paradigm City being shut down after the big battle and everything being revealed to the populace that everything was staged but it had it's reasons(which was in the name of protection). They were going to get into how the war ravaged the outside world and that Paradigm was created as a perfect haven to sheild everyone from the outside. The guy who created the city realised he couldn't control the people any longer(he wanted people to have a peaceful place to live out their lives away from the horrors of war, but the end result became twisted from the original intentions), so he decides to open the dome and give people a choice to leave or to go. Thats how it was supposed to end

They wound up cutting it short due to budgeting reasons. And you got a halfassed ending.

I thought the ending was put off because the writers were so sure there was going to be a third season that they put in what we got in season 2 instead, planning to put the real ending in season 3, and welp, we know how that worked out.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

PhazonLink posted:

I'll probably get flack for this but this sounds like something Japan could do competently with a non creepy writing team.

edit: Wow that short is bad.

The odds of it having a non creepy writing team would still be pretty close to 0, especially in Japan. Remember, they invented moe.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

I was kinda skeptical of the direction the BBC was going to be taking the Thirteenth Doctor, but I gotta say, Doctor Who Series 11 looks great.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think the implication is that string of tweets was deleted for being super racist, but he "tweet is unavailable" message also shows up when a locked account you don't follow replies to a tweet.

Knowing Twitter, though, it's probably the former.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The Trollhunters series is pretty good with some really likeable characters and gorgeous character designs, Three Below and Wizards (or whatever the sequel/midquel spinoff series are called) don't quite hit its highs but they're perfectly enjoyable and give you more time to spend with the characters and setting.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BioEnchanted posted:

A missed opportunity from an older show that I've been thinking about - it could have been interesting to have one of the Dragon Ball series' have a plot where Vegeta is faced with the survivors of a few of the planets he destroyed, like a few escape pods who somehow got missed and came together for survival. Like they get stronger through some method, and maybe by coincidence show up on Earth because they often stop off at populated planets for resources or whatever, only to find Chill Family Man Vegeta. The mistakes of his past coming to bite him could have been fun. Unless they did something like that in one of the movies, IDK.

The current arc of the Dragonball Super manga is somewhat close to being this.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

KingKalamari posted:

I'm hoping this is just a case of the trailer being awful, but the impression I get of this show is that it's like Rick and Steve but with absolutely no self-awareness.

Man, that just reminds me of The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest from the mid 90s. While the show largely doesn't hold up very well (It leaned far too heavily into the 90s media obsession with "cyberspace" and features some really bad cgi all over the place) it was also weirdly hardcore about character death and the like. I remember nerve gas being a recurring element in various villains plots...

I had a childhood fear of nerve gas because of how often that loving show used it to kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Elman posted:

Air benders discover they can use nuclear fusion by bending hydrogen and helium.

Nuclear fusion requires incredible heat and incredible pressure to overcome the Couloumb barrier, so only the Avatar, master of all four elements,