Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here''s your first look at the new Powerpuff Girls series.

I can dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't see it as too big a departure other than the thin lines and more rounded edges on characters. It just seems like a natural evolution of the original artstyle for a modern landscape.

Also, commercials with more footage started airing today. The show starts in April and it looks like the girls have Green Lantern powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm just glad it doesn't look like the hideous special from a few years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can't do that if you reminded me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fo-8LkzC9U

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mycot posted:

I am the traumatized soul who can't imagine a serious myth arc based Powerpuff Girls without remembering Bleedman and Deviantart.

Things we can be glad this reboot isn't:

-PPGZ
-Bleedman

Bass Bottles posted:

Was that really a plot element? I never read the comics but I saw them on the front page all the time.

It was in a different cartoon where Mandy and Grim got married and their kids wanted to gently caress each other. It was basically a guy trying to make a Tim Burton story through the lens of 90s/2000s cartoons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JACK WAS THEIR UNCLE

And Grim proposed to Mandy as Brad Pitt.

You know, from Meet Joe Black.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Powerpuff Girls is a comedy about superheroes, not a comedy-action show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

raditts posted:

It's certainly very girl-power. I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Powerpuff Girls that isn't feminist, though. What exactly would that be?

They might be thinking of the episode with that feminist strawwoman villain who turned the girls into what MRAs think feminists are.

That wasn't....a great episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, the thing is those kind of fans were always around, lest we forget the stalking of Tiny Toons voice actresses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The 90s were the time of the rise of collectors. People started thinking that comics and action figures were great as investments, which was where the whole "mint in box" thing came about.

Then the whole thing collapsed when people realized that the comics of the 90s were too mass-produced and well-preserved for the issues to become rare collector's items like the old comics from the 50s became.

This also happened to Beanie Babies, if I recall. Everybody had them, so people's collections ended up being worthless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I hope that bringing back PPG means they're gonna get more musicians to do songs about the show, because that was one of my favorite things about the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYZcIC6bqU

Seeing Moko Ono reminded me of the Beatles parody episode they did. I didn't get that episode at all when I was a kid because I hadn't been exposed to a lot of the Beatles, so it was just the weirdest thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From the footage I've seen, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I find it funny how people criticize DC's new movies for being too dour and dark, but in the same breath lap up the possibility of new Young Justice, which was the original Teen Titans without any of all that pesky fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've been wanting Disney to explore the universe more since I saw the movie. It's ripe for all sorts of stories and I'm completely fuckin' in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sealab and Space Ghost at least have the excuse of using old cels from bad Hanna-Barbera shows and probably not a lot of money.

TwoPair posted:

UH OH

"Chopper Dave, we have uh oh"

UH OH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3EOybIJmM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It really seems like CN doesn't know what to do with scheduling right now. Like I didn't see any advertising for their new thing, which is new Regular Show and Adventure Time on Saturday nights.

They ran plenty of commercials for it, actually. It seems like they're moving away from the new episode bombs and going back to weekly new episodes. I'm just assuming they're letting some of the shows build up a good log of episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

I was gonna say "then maybe they should do that with other shows besides their two biggest ones," but then I remembered that We Bare Bears and Clarence (btw Clarence is still really good and everyone should watch it) are on weekly as well. It's a good move on Cartoon Network's part.

I'm guessing they're waiting for their other shows to build up a good episode log.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I accidentally clicked on page 2 of this thread earlier today, and it's kind of a trip to think that this thread was around when Chowder was still on the air.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trash Boat posted:

Not to mention Pendleton Ward, Alex Hirsch and Patrick McHale. It's honestly impressive just how much talent that show housed.

Yeah, people sometimes point at Adventure Time as the beginning of the current era of Cartoon Network programming, but a lot of that talent started at Flapjack.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it was during/near the end of that era.

Also, question: The Easter premieres promo with the talking bunny on CN. Is that Carl? It sounds a lot like Carl from Aqua Teen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It started getting really great in the third season when they had an episode entirely dedicated to the VAs for Gumball and Darwin becoming too old and needing to be replaced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Both of them are videos, though? Are you confusing the webm for a picture?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This episode of Clarence is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Whoa they are just gonna drop every episode on June 10th? Regardless that last line about how Voltron won't be the answer to everything is cool and I'm interested.

That's how they do it, all at once.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess they all can't be as subtle as Clarence's change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Steven Universe's VA has also kinda deepened a bit as the series went on, but I think he was already in his teens when the show started.

And then Gumball just went all meta about it, which is a fine way to go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa were each renewed for two more seasons, with SU returning in June for a "Summer of Steven" to run til August.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So apparently one of the leaked episodes of the Powerpuff reboot has a trans character used as a punchline.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

axleblaze posted:

First comment I saw: someone claiming this reboot is ruining their childhood.

Third comment: someone botching about TTG

:allears:

I like that people don't yet realize that complaining about Teen Titans Go is what gives it its strength.

And I hope they never do, I love when TTG just mocks them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It was hilarious how lazy they were. I think the laziest was Speed Buggy where the characters were literally just slightly redrawn Scooby Doo.

The best part of that fad was the episode of Mystery Inc. that had Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, and the ghost guy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And Scooby-Doo is descended from a race of extradimensional beings who have visited humanity as animals such as the cats of Egypt and Sun Wukong and that's why he can talk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Venture Bros was never a Hanna Barbera cartoon is why.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

The Gumball episode The Sweaters feels like a mashup of that one South Park skiing episode and an episode of Aqua Teens. :sbahj:

There's also a sprinkling of Speed Racer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Cartoon Network is going to be rebranding their Thursday premiere block this month and new episodes of Gumball are a part of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think a part of Cartoon Network's inconsistent scheduling so far is them realizing that the random weeks of premieres were giving them diminishing returns and they're just waiting for the production to get a good backlog. They're starting to have weekly new episodes again, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The article says the show still has about a hundred unaired episodes, so it's going to still be running for a few years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The cornerstones of Japanese humor are puns, slapstick, and people reacting to funny things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's actually quite a bit. I'm following like 9 series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As a related note, I keep finding it amazing how We Bare Bears is so good at feeling modern without feeling artificial or condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mycot posted:

Does that include Panda's bodypillow?

Yes, it does.

I love that Panda is weeb trash.