Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the first couple of episodes of Apple & Onion and yeah, it’s pretty great. The kiddo likes it and there’s plenty to amuse adults too (it has a surprisingly Adult Swim sensibility). Looking forward to CN pushing it heavily for the next month and then forgetting it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Labes for days posted:

I don't understand how for an American show, Apple and Onion is so aggressively British.

The show runner is British. Gumball has the same thing going on, it’s fun to watch for tells (calling classes “lessons”, the “WC” sign on the Watterson’s bathroom). They average one or two per episode.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

So apparently Avatar: TLA is getting a blu-ray release. :dance:

But...I just realized that the show wasn't airing in widescreen at the time (this is when widescreen for T.V. shows was just barely getting started). I'm guessing they're going to pull a DBZ blu-ray and crop everything?

The series is available digitally in HD and it retains the 4:3 aspect ratio. I can’t really see Nickelodeon doing pan & scan for the Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the reminder though, the Blu-Rays are like $20 less than buying the HD version through iTunes.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 19, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

I can't speak for MLP but Steven Universe sure gets just absolutely dogshit merch and it's kind of baffling. It's either really ugly and half assed or loving Pop figures.

Or like these what the gently caress are these:

All I want to do
Is see you turn into
A COLLECTABLE WIGGLE FIGURE
(wiggle figure)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

As with the Young Justice situation, I think toy companies are super goddamn leery of marketing anything to a significantly female audience that doesn't have pink and frills slapped all over it. (and there's only so much Rose Quartz merch they can justify) Even MLP had to make a pink princess just so the white princess can get show accurate merchandise, because they would refuse to sufficiently stock a line where the centrepiece pony isn't pink.

Meanwhile my daughters favorite TV show is Teen Titans Go and her favorite characters are Cyborg (because of “Night Begins To Shine”) and Batman (she likes his giggle). We were surprised to find a lack of TTG merch at Target—the best they had were some shoddily made Amiibo-style figurines that she destroyed almost immediately after we gave them to her.

To be fair, she’s a little younger than the target audience.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

I think they make some plushes, should try and find them on Amazon or something

Yeah, she's got a Cyborg plushie. It's one of the three toys she brings with her for bedtime (Elmo and Abby from Sesame Street are the other two).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Awwwwwwww here goes!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gumball is low key one of the best things on Cartoon Network.

My current CN show ranking is:

Shows that I actively watch even without my daughter in the room (check them out if you haven’t already):
*Steven Universe (duh)
*Adventure Time (release the last batch of eps already CN!)
*Gumball
*We Bare Bears
*Apple & Onion

Stuff I only watch with my daughter:
*Craig of the Creek (only been a few eps though and shows some great potential)
*Unikitty

Stuff I don’t actively pay attention to:
*OK KO
*Teen Titans Go
*Ben 10
*Mighty Magiswords (is it even still airing?)
*Lego Ninjago (ditto)

Please note that I don’t think any of the the shows that are currently airing are actually bad.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I think production on Magiswords was quietly ended, seeing as I saw at least one staff member on Twitter saying they were out of a job.

I believe there are new episodes of Ninjago coming soon. They seem to come out in batches.

You also forgot Powerpuff Girls, which is airing new episodes Sunday afternoons at 4 and at no point else.

Oh yeah, I did totally forget about PPG. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode but I haven’t heard anything good about it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
“Hey Home Improvment is killing it in the ratings, what other comedians can we get for new shows?”

“Well, we’re in talks with Louie Anderson but market research suggests he’s too ugly for television.”

“gently caress it, we’ll make his show animated!”

(The real answer is probably that they wanted more shows starring standup comedians since Seinfeld and HI were doing so well but most comedians couldn’t/didn’t want to take the time away from touring to shoot a season so the middle ground was a couple of weeks of animation voiceover work).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are out at Best Buy today. It’s easily the best the series has ever looked.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do they have the pilot without commentary?

The pilot has the commentary. It’s also not uprezzed (that doesn’t really surprise me though).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rant ahead.

I the only person disappointed in OK KO’s swerve to “very special episodes”? It feels like all of the recent episodes have had really heavy-handed morals in them, some better handled than others.

“No More Pow Cards” is probably the worst offender—I get and appreciate the message—but it’s so heavy handed AND they turned the goofiness in the animation to 110% (I think in an effort to make it less depressing) that the end result is completely tonally dissonant and ultimately undermines the message.

“Let’s Play Skeletons” is better in comparison even though I was annoyed by how they went “what if Marge Vs. The Monorail, but guns?” and decided that was good enough.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate children’s shows doing things like making arguments for representation in media and gun control/bans but I think what really annoys me is how IJQ should know from his work on Steven Universe how to write a socially conscious children’s show without coming across all after school special (hint: it’s show why x thing is normal and fine, not tell beat you over the head with the message).

Steven doesn’t spend an episode doing wacky hijinks to try to convince Mayor Dewey to legalize “gem” marriage, the show just has characters who are lesbians and everyone is totally cool with that.

To do a comparison to OK KO, there’s a whole episode telling the viewer that it’s totally fine to be a furry. Instead, they could have just had the bunny that dresses as a human be just a character that everyone treats like a human. Don’t tell your audience to be accepting of something, show them people being accepting of that thing.

[/rant]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 19, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thompsons posted:

There's a couple background characters in OK KO that are pretty heavily implied to be gay as well.

Pretty sure Enid and Red Action have a crush on each other, I was only half paying attention to the latest episode (Red Action Back to the Future?) but I think it spelled it out pretty clearly.

Another show I thought of is Craig of the Creek, the goth "witches" are lesbians.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man, I have wanted a back-in-high-school goofy animated Buffy show for ages and these character designs are pretty freaking awesome.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

It's funny that Gumball is made in the UK because it feels very American. If I didn't know ahead of time I'd have never guessed it was a UK show

I've mentioned this before somewhere in the forums (maybe even this thread!) but it's fun to watch Gumball and try to spot the tells. Things like the "WC" on the bathroom, calling classes "lessons", the voice actors occasionally pronouncing words slightly differently than you'd expect.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The_Doctor posted:

One nearly happened! Buffy: The Animated Series had a short pilot made, and scripts were written before it was fell apart. Fox Kids was going to show it, but then Fox Kids dissolved and no other channel wanted to buy it, as it was deemed too adult.

It was going to be set during Season 1 (episode 7.5, so after the Angel reveal) so they could have the Master as the overarching villain. They had virtually all the actors aboard except for SMG, who they were going to replace with the soundalike actress who did the video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

Yeah, I know, and it haunts me. They did an issue of a comic book that took place in that universe and it was pretty good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gumball’s main characters also used to look a bit different too. Bigger oval eyes and smaller mouths. The character designs changed because they needed to simplify their animation (Cartoon Network Europe cut their budget). That’s also why the CGI characters have been appearing less—Tina barely shows up at all these days, and Mrs. Simian got a simplified redesign.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shittalking people in a field that you want to potentially work in is a really, really good way to NOT get yourself a job in said field. A lot of jobs, especially in media, are all about networking and who you know and who they know. If you want to work in animation, but have a Twitter account where you constantly bitched about how terrible Uncle Grandpa was, well, guess what. No matter how much the animation director at the Disney show you’re submitting your portfolio to likes your board work, they’re friends with the people who made Uncle Grandpa, and have already hired a couple former Uncle Grandpa alum for their new show, and as soon as they see your posts they’re gonna throw your portfolio in the shredder because they don’t want to create a potentially hostile work environment or piss off their friends.

Tangentially related story: sophomore year of college, there was a kid who lived on the the same floor as me. I’ll call him George because I can’t remember his real name. I went to Emerson, which is a liberal arts school. George was a Republican. Now, no one gave a poo poo about that, and I knew a few other students who were fiscally and politically conservative or even full on, voted-for-Bush’s-second-term Republicans. What people did give a poo poo about was George putting unapproved inflammatory posters up on the hallways, interrupting classes attempting to correct the professors perceived “liberal bias”, and then bitching publicly that he was being treated unfairly and being punished for his actions because he was the “only republican in a sea of liberals”. No, George, you were getting poo poo on because you were acting like an rear end in a top hat.

If you poo poo in your bed, you have no right to be surprised when you wake up covered in poo poo.

[Edit: here’s one of the current Ben 10 storyboard artist’s thoughts WRT Thundercats. She also draws “Manly Guys Doing Manly Things” which is a webcomic about video games but with a lot of commentary on masculinity.

https://twitter.com/coelasquid/status/999262362015182848?s=21
]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 23, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

readingatwork posted:

Why was there never a Scott Pilgrim cartoon? God damnit now I’m going to be mad about this all day.

There was this short tie-in promo that aired on Adult Swim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmimK80duA

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yvonmukluk posted:

That and Bad Machinery are my two dream cartoon adaptions.

I've actually put probably way more thought into this than anyone who isn't actually a showrunner should and I'm not sure that any part of the Bobbinsverse could really be adapted besides Giant Days. The Bad Machinery cases are too long to be fit into a two part episode (which networks hate anyway because it doesn't work for reruns) and they're too short to take up an entire season/half season. Part of its charm is how British it is, which would likely be adapted out (at least if Cartoon Network or Disney made it).

And then Scary-Go-Round isn't kid friendly enough to get an animated adaptation.

[Edit: I guess if you just borrowed the characters and the setting, then you could make an animated series that's just a mystery of the week with cases that have nothing to do with the original comics, but it'd still end up being set in, like, some random american town]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThermoPhysical posted:

What Ninja Turtles parody episode? From the 2012 series?

Teen Titans Go has an episode where they come across a team of sewer-dwelling teen turtles who are ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT TMNT and they get pissed off that the turtles have stolen the Titans gimmicks of fighting crime, eating pizza, and being goofy.

The joke, of course, is that TTG stole those things from TMNT. So really it’s an intentional self-own. It’s arguably one of their worst/dumbest episodes.

As for TTG’s relationship with the original show and its fans, there’s a lot of pokes and references. My favorite is the gag dub episode. Yeah, that’s right, TTG did a Teen Titans: Abridged episode. Let that sink in a second. The people making a sequel series with the same voice actors did an “official” gag dub.

It’s legitimately hilarious and, of course, goes out of it way to point out how silly/flawed the original show was. They highlight the anime appropriation, mock the generally mediocre animation (in one scene they pretend a poorly drawn shadow on Cyborg’s upper lip is a mustache) and make plot points out of ridiculous things like how their capes/hair are constantly moving even without a source of wind, and how a lot of the drama on the original show was completely contrived. And then the episode ends with the TTG characters on the couch all fawning over the original show. It’s one of the funniest things they’ve done.

”I’m holding... an orange!”

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VolticSurge posted:

Still haven't seen that episode, which,according to some of my friends, is the one good episode of TTG. What was it called,again?

“The Cape”.

Also I was just reminded of a different episode “Employee of the Month: Redux”. It’s a remake of the original show’s “Employee of the Month”. Unlike most of the episodes that reference the original show, Redux plays it relatively straight. I think their point was “Look, haters! You can literally drop in an episode of Teen Titans and it won’t feel out of place at all, TTG isn’t actually that different!” except they used the silliest episode of the original series. It’s an interesting concept, at least.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 5, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

In conclusion, many people online simply hate this new third wave of Calarts students and the animation that's come from them and why they're getting in hissy fits over recent cartoons following a trend or a similar design. Of course I don't see Calarts as a school full of bad or mediocre artists and animators because that assumption is ridiculous, but I think it's clear that times have changed and Calarts isn't what it used to be 25 years ago.

Art is subjective etc etc but I actually really like the character designs on pretty much every show out there currently (yes that includes Thundercats Roar!) outside of, like, Mighty Magiswords. What I dislike is how much leeway is currently given to board artists--I really appreciate consistency in character designs and a lot of shows these days let the board artists take some extraordinary liberties with the characters and animation. I know that's a ridiculous complaint, and allowing artists creative freedom is usually a good thing, but Steven's eye shape and size varying between episodes is something I can't help but notice when watching episodes back to back.

I'd almost rather that the show's entire visual style varied between artists because at least it would be consistent on a per-episode basis. Bob's Burgers had an episode where they changed the character designs based on online submissions and they redrew the backgrounds to fit the character designs better. While it was still really jarring, it worked a lot better than if they had just thrown the different designs behind the usual backgrounds.

Anyway, that's my current "third wave CalArts show" nitpick. But I'm not publicly bitching at the showrunners and throwing death threats their way about it because I'm a reasonable person. Hell I don't even think I've talked about it anywhere before now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cartoon Network aired a bunch of new episodes of Clarence yesterday, I guess they're burning off the last of the batch?

Clarence has really grown on me, the character designs and voices grated on me at first but the humor is great.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Craig is now my daughter’s favorite show, she demands it pretty much all the time.

So yes, CN needs to release new episodes, because I’m pretty sure I can recite all of the ones they’ve put out so far from memory.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Turner's mentioned that they care more about on-demand service views more than neilsen ratings now

Then you think they'd take the fact that my daughter goes through all twelve episodes of Craig of the Creek that are available on demand at least four times a week into account and RELEASE MORE FRICKING EPISODES OF THE SHOW

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

well they just released another 5

Oh snaaaaaap

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

business hammocks posted:

I liked Clarence for just being an honest recreation of what a 90s childhood felt like. There was no protagonist and nobody changed anything or faced any challenges.

I ignored Clarence for the longest time because of the character designs and voices but I was wrong to do that.

And yeah, seconding CotC as a chill kids hanging out show. Though one of the episodes released today does hint at what may be a plot, we’ll see.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

But you know what's great? Craig of the Creek. Kelsey's the best, and I love that there's an episode where JP psyches her out with Zeno's Paradox.

All the characters in Craig are amazing. Every single one. I keep making jokes based off the “WE’RE INTO HORSES, CRAIG. H-O-R-S-E-S. HORSES.” line the, uh, horse-obsessed girl says. Like it took me a bit to come around on some of the Townies on SU but there hasn’t been a character I didn’t immediately want to see more of on Craig. The Paintball warriors, HandleBarb, Sewer Queen, Craig’s grandparents, everyone in the show is so perfectly written.

Well, I don’t care for the Junior Forest Scouts, but that’s 100% intentional.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kefkafloyd posted:

"The head writer of ATLA" could mean several things Do they mean Aaron Ehasz? It would be his first shot at being a show runner/creator.

...I wonder why he wasn’t brought in for Korra? Also holy poo poo he wrote one of my favorite episodes of FuturemanFuturama, I had no idea.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My biggest beef with it is that he didn’t disclose the Christian focus in the Kickstarter. I don’t inherently mind people doing religious-oriented things as long as they’re up front about it, but the fact that he hid it is straight garbage.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

[...]On the whole, a neat panel! I don't actually watch any of the shows that they were talking about (whoops :v:)[...]

Craig is great, I bounced off of OK KO but most people like it, Bears ranges from brilliant (tote life!) to eh depending on the episodes premise/if it is a baby bears episode.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

The TTG movie has a 100% on Rottentomatoes, but only a 59% from the amount of people who actually want to see it. The haters need to move on already and stop loving around with the database.

No one has ever given a poo poo about the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes or the user reviews on IMDB or Metacritic. People barely give a poo poo about the reviewers scores on those sites.

Also the haters voting on Rotten Tomatoes aren’t the same people who want to see TTGGTTM.

[Edit: also, 61% of people saying they want to see the film on Rotten Tomatoes seems reasonable? Like, it’s a goofy kids film, not some huge blockbuster.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 22, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

You know, I was just making a random rear end comment out of the blue, a joke I thought people who were in the know about the rather feverish detractors to put it lightly, and you've even admitted you don't care for the show, so go figure that your only contribution is to be an deliberately obtuse poo poo as usual.

Ok, well then take it from someone who likes TTG and is planning on taking his daughter to it as the first film she sees in theaters:

People anonymously stating that they personally do or do not want to see a film means literally nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. No one bases a decision to go to a movie based on a “want to see” score.

If you’re really concerned about how the Teen Titans Go movie is received, look at the actual reviews from people who have actually seen the film, which are all glowing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

After going in with very low expectations I really liked the first episode, sadly I can't watch any more then that because Nick's website takes every internet provider imaginable except Comcast, which has to be intentional.

Edit: Of Rise of TMNT, to be clear.

Nickelodeon’s website/app won’t accept any IPTV provider logins besides DirectTVNow. Same with Cartoon Network, though all the content that would be unlocked with a cable login is available on demand through SlingTV’s app so it’s not as big of an issue.

It’s annoying that the only way I can rewatch Korra would be to buy the DVDs/BluRays.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

Wait, CN won't accept anything but Direct? I watched something off Adult Swim's site just a couple of weeks ago and I've got AT&T (I assume AS and CN have the same policies regarding streaming).

Adult Swim & Cartoon Network do have some content accessible without a cable login.

Also, I was wrong, you can’t authenticate with any internet cable companies. I thought I saw DirectTVNow previously but I no longer do.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dangerous Person posted:

Me too. Craig of the Creek might by my favorite CN show in "regular" rotation right now

Don’t worry, I’m sure Craig will join Steven and Adventure Time in the “air dates are based on darts thrown at a calendar” purgatory soon. :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Just do what all the kids are doing and stream it.

Cartoon Network needs to stop flirting with the concept (*cough*Boomerang*cough*) and just release a subscription-based version of their app. Drop new seasons of their shows all at once (or half a season at a time, whatever) and have their entire back catalog available as well. I'd gladly pay :tenbux: a month for that. Bonus points if the sub also includes Adult Swim content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are five new episodes of Craig of the Creek on the CN app!