Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mentioned it in the TTG thread, but my 6 year-old niece and 8 year-old nephew have been complaining as recently as yesterday that they're sick of TTG. More specifically, my nephew complains that they're only playing the same like, 40 episodes. It was their favorite show at the beginning of the year. So if they're anything to go by, this isn't going great for the target demographic either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There is no way I can be happy with Darkwing if it isn't Jim Cummings. I hope everyone at Disney feels the same.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So which writer's self-insert is the new powerpuff and how do they ship her with Buttercup?
Also lol at that pitch perfect DeviantArt design.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh god, those child-bearing hips.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I always wished they drew him like they did in the Pokemon Adventures manga, before they switched artists. I wish everything was drawn like that.

IT GETS DIZZY CHASING A LEAF AND FALLS ASLEEP.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just want to say that my team shares floorspace with the TMNT crew and on Thursday morning they used the conference room to LOUDLY broadcast that design announcement, so I got to hear fan reactions in real time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

drrockso20 posted:

What are your team working on?

Zim. People occasionally walk by while telling visitors our show wasn't that good. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Zim tended to have a logical random humor in that the path from point A to point B was unexpected, but sensible. "The school nurse might notice I've got alien organs. I'll steal everyone's organs and eat them because the more human organs means more human, right?" (Right.)

drrockso20 posted:

The comics they've been doing for Zim have definitely done a lot to fix up some of the rougher aspects of the show, especially in making Gaz more likable(even if it comes at the cost of her new design being a lot blander than her old show design)

Also one thing that was nice about the show was how they made various issues they had with their animation studios into something funny

I just did a variant cover for the the next volume! It's my first published comic anything. :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just popping by to say that the third floor of our building has a bunch of creator portraits, including John K. On Thursday, a coworker tweeted a picture wherein anonymous employees had stuck post-its to his portrait, reading "TAKE IT DOWN" and "NO THANKS." I went down today to see if the post-its we're still up there and was met with this instead:

I don't know if it was taken down officially or in secret, but John K.'s portrait is no more.

Meanwhile the joke around our parts is "Hello, HR? This is Zim crew. We can't stop sexually harrassing each other."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Updates on Zim:

- We are indeed rolling off story team! We had a hot pot farewell for Megan and Stephan (not sure which one you follow) on Friday.
- I am in the midst of Act 3 BG fallout now. But they gave me a week's extension and if I work through the weekends, I can juuuust make it. I'm done mid-April.
- Aaron and Ian are freelancing the last bits, so I am the last soul on design team and it's lonely as hell.
- Jhonen and Jenny already went to visit our choice Korean animation studio in February. We're animating on paper! Another studio visit's coming up soon for Jhonen and Jake, though I'm not sure on the dates. Animation's in progress.
- Spencer is doing some animation for us and it's loving incredible. He animates on 3s like they're on 1s and I just... Holy poo poo, he's doing what I love most about animation and he's doing it gorgeously. And then on top of that, he's sweet, funny and humble. Spencer is the best person.

Non-project:

- I beat the poo poo out of Jhonen and Megan in Gang Beasts Friday night. They tried to team up against me and I still handed their asses to them.
- Jenny's going to dye my hair lavender and I'm stoked.
- I keep kicking Jake in the butt and telling him he reminds me of my mom, 'cause he does.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

Astounding. Thank you for all you are doing. You don't know how much this dumb cartoon means to me. It's not even out of nostalgia, this is the thing that got me into drawing and art, like Sam Raimi got me into filmmaking.

Of course! I was a huge fan of the original run and it popped me out of my gothy nihilism and made me remember, "Oh, yeah. You love animation." My sister even hand-painted a Zim on my 15th birthday cake. :3:

(We're also pushing for an art book! But I do roughs so you'll probably only see the color passes if my stuff! Buy hey, ART BOOK?!?!)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macaluso posted:

I hope the Zim movie is animated like a movie. What I love about tv shows turned into movies is seeing the movie-quality animation version of the show. Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats, Simpsons, Spongebob, Teen Titans Go, etc. These all have better animation than the TV show. But a problem I have with a lot of non-theatrical movies is that they just look like the show only it's an hour and a half so it just ends up feeling less like a movie and more like a longer episode of the show. So I'm hoping the Zim movie comes with movie-quality animation.

Hey Arnold was a weird exception where it came to theaters but it really wasn't animated any better than the show, aside from like... being shaded more.

Animation-wise, we've only gotten pencil tests back so I can't attest. Design and colorwise, it's definitely gotten a facelift. Jhonen occasionally bitches that it's too pretty. :v:

I mean, Spencer's sequence is loving top tier. I've been watching his progress and probably praising him too much, but GODDAMN that boy can animate. And then it cuts to one of my backgrounds and I just... I compared it to being in a talent show and the kid before you plays Stairway to Heaven on seven different instruments and then you get up there with your kazoo. I sound like I'm doing that superficial flattery poo poo, but sometimes I just wanna shake that kid and yell at him for making me look bad.
But in a loving way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yup, we're boarded from a script, though the script has been more of a guide than an absolute as far as I can tell. With a few exceptions my backgrounds are directly linked to boards, so my place is like, the last stop on the design pipeline aside from color.

As to how I determined the script is not scripture: A dumbass Queer Eye for the Straight Guy joke became a major part of the film two months ago. I am spoiling nothing by saying that because it was so goddamn transformative, no one will recognize the end product.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was gonna come here and post that because I'm a super loving excited baby woman. :dance:

If there's a shot on Earth/of garbage, it's a good bet it's mine.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I will neither confirm nor deny Tak's presence, but I will say she was a subject of great contention. Also, one day Jhonen pulled me into his office, pointed to a lady in an episode of Star Trek and gleefully proclaimed, "That's Tak!"

Dude's a Trekkie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

Gonna talk more about Zim.

Geekin out at all these little references

Door to Door ADHESIVE MEDICAL STRIPS, Dib's suction climber from Tak the hidious new girl, Future Dib-bot, Head Pigeon, Moofy's cookie box, the fuckin Squirrel from the Mysterious Mysteries reenactment, there's more but yeah...owns.

The other shot with Dib opening the garage has Pustlio, and the bad bad rubber piggy as well.

Also this is incredible.

That's my shot and this was the exact response I was hoping for! :3:

If I remember correctly, there are 58 references in that pan and at least one from each episode. Between research, reference collection, plotting and drawing, it took me three days.

I shouldn't have read this before bed. I'm giddy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Human beings thrive on stability and consistency. If TV is CN's dumping ground, just drop a season at once on the app and let TTG run on and on until the wheels of our cars wear to nothing and we come to the end of the world.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I mentioned in another thread that no one I've talked to who works on these shows can makes sense of the scheduling and believe it's actively hurting their viewership. A friend who worked on SU even gave up trying to catch when their own episodes air. It's not a great sign when the people who actually contribute to the show give up on watching it because of lovely scheduling. (They haven't seen the finished eps, btw. The episodes are not put up on the crew's private server anymore due to all the leaks a while back.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Coming to you from WB to say we got a memo today saying it's 18 jobs specifically, and largely in the CWS side.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

WIth the Superman show, I follow Jake Wyatt on twitter (he's co-exec producer) and it seems to be moving along fine. A bunch of storyboarders were saying they wrapped up their parts on it recently so it's in the midst of animation production I'd guess

I was on layout and the last of design just rolled off last week. Animation is coming back from overseas, the theme song is fully animated, everything is fully boarded and designed for the first two seasons.

When the WB axe murders were going on, we were all pretty spooked and our security was brought up in meetings. Jake said that it was likely we'd be okay since we were a VERY cheap production tied to a very big brand. It looks like that held true as there's still discussion on further seasons. I know Jake was being honest on his end at least, because that lad is absolutely poo poo at lying.

I'm glad to say that despite the shoestring budget, it was looking really good. Everyone was really into the project and most of us had worked together before.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hope it's The Loony Toons Show Lola.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I admit I laughed at

"Who's this show for?"
"Mmmmeeeeeeeee."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

When Family Guy first came out, I thought it was a remake of that show, and nobody understood what I was even referring to.

Holy poo poo, I think you were right? I've never heard of this show and all I could think while watching that clip was the same thing.

IS IT?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Come to think of it, every decade has an extremely specific flavor of counterculture. What was it for the '10s? I got old and stopped paying attention.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Now I remember what I chose to forget.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It had The Gays!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Flapjack was golden, I will slap you down.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They're doing animation checks on S2 right now. We don't have a confirmed date, but production's drawing to a close!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lois is the most lawfully dubious one out of the three. Kinda chaotic good.
And I guess Jimmy is neutral good and poor baby Clark does his best to be lawful good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thas mah bank.:cool:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The bad guys in both The Incredibles are genius billionaire tech giants and the good guys work with the government. That doesn't seem very Randian.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
His implication is that he'll keep all the power until he dies, then "gift" it upon the world. The latter action is pretty much to spit in the face of Bob's legacy, which at that point in the film is The Thing Protag Thinks He Wants. Syndrome's methods are mirrored later with him releasing the death robot on a city, then "gifting" the public with their rescue.

If he were sincere about the latter intent, he would be a philanthropist actively helping the world with his inventions instead of an arms dealer on a private island- he'd be essentially the Bob Odenkirk guy in the sequel.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Turns out the world's oldest father was 92, so give Pachinky a few more years to try again.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

Same (or at least I expected some kind of vocal track to kick in eventually), this is anime as gently caress and I love it

Jake tried this for the ED, Japanese vocals and all. WB nixed it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just by and by, the overwhelmingly positive response makes me real happy. It's a very kind and cute show and the crew was likewise. I know a 3rd season is pending on audience response and I'll definitely be happy to return if that happens.

(But also feel free to criticize! Unless it's my specific BGs, then you're just dumb and wrong. :v:)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Argue posted:

Hey, awesome work! Some people in the BSS thread were asking if Studio Mir worked on this; are you able/allowed to confirm or deny that?

I can now! Yes, it's Studio Mir. We kiiiinda suspect they outsourced a lot of S1, but they were 100% behind the S2 wheel.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

If I had to criticize I'd say that Metropolis feels rather sparse population-wise and the Daily Planet should be a fair bit busier given that it is a newsroom. But that's a minor point and it could change for all I know now that the main cast is established.

You're not wrong; the budget was shoestring as hell. There's definitely some hard decisions being made on crowd shots and the like. It's suspected that the low cost of the show was a major factor in what saved us from Zaslav's axe.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Two seasons of ten each. Only ones I didn't get to work on were these first two and the very last episode- WB didn't wanna pay us another two weeks, so I think anything not reused in S2E10 was done via freelance.

The dopey part is that freelance is more expensive, but since it draws from a different cash pile it's where "they had money left."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr Interweb posted:

saw the first episode and i really like it so far! as everyone mentioned it's wholesome as hell. but...that also makes me wonder why it's on Adult Swim? I didn't see anything in that episode that displayed anything excessively profane or violent (the closest being that one scene with the henchman getting killed by the robot).

1. do yo work on the show?
2. there's already two seasons completed??

1. I was a BG artist on it.
2. 2 seasons are all done!
3ish. MAWS was originally designed as a CN/HBO Max all-ages show. We didn't find out 'til late (April, I think) that we were getting shifted to Toonami/Max which, as I understand it, is because they're essentially killing CN and absorbing it into WBA. If I go through my phone I could tell you the exact date we found out- Jake called me, jazzed as hell about being on Toonami.

Larryb posted:

Did anything about the show change as a result of the move or is it still more or less the same series that was pitched to Cartoon Network proper a while back?

The shift happened so late that it's still the same CN show. Pretty sure the same's true for Unicorn.

Dawgstar posted:

In that case I'm really impressed Lois got multiple outfits because I was under the impression that's more expensive.

It is, since you're eating up your character artist's and color artist's time for each one. I guess that was part of the allotted "design pool" and why so many of us got rolled off before the last episode, lol. Not to say the show was mismanaged! They tried to stretch their dollars and keep us on as long as possible while making the show look as good as possible and telling stories they wanted to tell.

For example, that's why a lot of the show is kept to Metropolis (and a few other locations): You can reuse a lot! I think I started with 20ish BGs an episode and was down to 10ish by the end since we could reuse so much. A lot of design review was "Ooh, we can use this again for [x]!"

Which hey, means my stuff shows up more.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Quote is not edit!