Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I'm looking forward to the Xiaolin Chronicles. Is there a UK air date yet? I'm so Skyboxing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Autumncomet posted:

Xiaolin Chronicles premiere most likely on April 8. Check out this thread for more info. The Facebook page has also been updated; it will be airing in certain parts of Europe, Latin America, and Asia on Cartoon Network (the earlier page I linked showed October for Poland, but I don't know if that's dubbed or not) and Gulli in France.

I'll start work on a thread.

edit: Hell, have a poster

I'll definitely be recording this. So looking forward to the new Showdowns, and seeing what they do now that they have them in CG. And what will Jack Spicer get up to? New Shen Gong Wu as well. I guess as a fan of the original there is only one thing to say:

GONG YI TENPAI!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With older kid's shows, does anyone remember Cybergirl, an Aussie show in the early 2000s? It was terrible, but in a fun-to-watch kinda way. I especially liked what happened to the villainous robots at the end The male one (who is obsessed with junk food and is actually kinda sweet when he's not being evil) gets reprogrammed into an ice-cream man, and the female one (who is the stern, totally cold, emotionless one) get's turned into a police officer.

It was terrible looking back, but I loved it all the same.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Apparently the new Xiaolin Chronicles date is early October. What we need to do is get the ratings up by watching when it comes on, because I, for one, would love DVDs of both series, and that's just not gonna happen with how (apparently) poorly the original series rated. I don't want to rely on Youtube anymore

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is there any idea when Xiaolin Chronicles is premiering in the UK? I'd heard that it was supposed to be the 7th or the 10th of October, but I can't find any info on the schedules for Disney XD or Cartoon Network. Which channel will it be on and when will it start?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally got around to watching Season 5 of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It really is surprising how well the jokes have held up, largely due to most of them being either slapstick or bad (read awesome) puns. I especially like Salem this series, he's really on form. Best lines were in the episode where him and Zelda are auditioning for a catfood commercial and during an argument after the initial audition the following exchange happens:

Zelda: "May I remind you he complimented me!"
Salem: "May I remind you you had you skirt hiked up to your nostrils!"

Also when she tries to quit:
"Please, Zelda, come back! It's my method, I'm a tempermental actor!... I have pictures of you with the Brothers Grimm."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the most important thing that Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show revealed was that Eddy's behaviour is not entirely his fault. His brother likely spent his formative years being as much of an abusive dickhead to Eddy as he is in the movie, and Eddy internalised the behaviour as relating to power, and tried to emulate him by constantly taking advantage of the less ruthless kids. His brother broke him. Notice that not only is the cul-de-sac collective actively afraid of Eddy's brother visiting, Eddy himself has left his brothers bedroom as a disturbed shrine that he only enters when absolutely necessary.

But maybe I'm just overthinking. I find that fun to do :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I will admit to liking Carly and Drake and Josh at the age of 25, although iCarly was less good by far. I found Jerry Trainor (Crazy Steve, Spencer Shay) to be one of the funniest actors there due to the sheer energy he put into his gags. Also the Drake and Josh Episode where Josh "divorces" Drake as a brother in law and declares them to be roommates was an emoitionally satisfying one, as without Drake holding him back Josh took control of his own life and without Josh to fall back on Drake was forced to accept the consequences for all the dumb bullshit he normally gets away with.

Also, Xiaolin Chronicles was terrible but I loved the new supervain Chase Young. I was sold when he dunked his hair into his scrying pool just so that he could baywatch flip it. And then he wagers his looks in a showdown in the next episode and flips his hair at least twice in that episode (standing with the wind to his back so that he has to flip it out of his eyes was hilarious, he was doing all of it on purpose).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was never bothered by the Very Special Episodes of Static Shock. The racism one had some really painful dialogue but I liked the flow of the school shooting one quite a lot, and the one where Virgil goes to Africa and meets Anansi was pretty rad due to Anansi being African Batman. Also, the rest of the series around those episodes had really solid writing.

Also: BRAIIIIN PUPPETSSS!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was always partial to the one where Mrs Bighead starts calling Rocko over to do "chores" because Mr Bighead is leaving her unsatisfied in the bedroom.

~~*~~Zip me up Rockoooooooo~~*~~

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kinda liked that the head of the Chimera corporation literally turned into a Chimera. I thought that was a cool idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I remember Xiaolin Showdown was really fun and good. My brother and I also watched Chronicles, which was hilarious but in no way good. Although Chase Young becoming a complete diva was the best part, while using his scrying pool to check how his machinations are doing he literally dunks his hair in the pool so that he can baywatch-flip it while laughing maniacally. He also flips it twice in the next episode, the second time because Omi soaks him with the Orb of Tornami (I refuse to call it torpedo) but the first time because he stands with his back to the wind just so that it blows in front of his face to flip it. Also he wagers his "Amazing Good looks" in one of the showdowns.

His sidekick Shadow had some moments though, at one point there is a bizarre flashback which turns out to be him telling her how she was created, and her response is simply "Really? That's how I was born?"

Basically we knew it was bad but we watched it because we couldn't stop laughing at how ludicrous it got, in contrast to the original series which is genuinely good and should be watched by people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 7, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I distinctly remember one line from that series:

Main Character: "Can't you see my Triangular Eyes of Determination?"
Nerd: "Actually they're more Trapezoidal..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

axleblaze posted:

they suddenly have to pay for all their actions from throughout the series.

Yeah "finale" is hilarious, just for the moment when Anais realises how their lives work:

"Previously when ever we have encountered a situation it has escalated until it reaches a point of critical mass in which the problem resolved itself. We need to replicate those effects now"
"Sooo... what are you saying"
"We need to Make. Things. Worse."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think I've noticed a contributing factor as to why the new art style for the Powerpuff Girls looks so flat. Uniform line thickness. On the original art for the original series the outlines were much thicker than the lines denoting where clothes begin and end, which themselves were thicker than the lines denoting individual facial features. In the new images they are the exact same width, making it look more 'drawn by a single pencil by a talented fan' than anything.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't remember much of it but it was fun while I was watching it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also trying to go back and watch Reboot with no nostalgia goggles shows it for what it is: poorly aged with really dated writing. It's not just that it looks bad, it can't help that due to tech constraints, nothing about that show has aged well. Although I did enjoy Cubix, speaking of badly animated cartoons, so maybe I just found Reboot boring.

In defence of Cubix I liked how the robots malfunctioned, and Kan It was a fun character. I also liked Dr K's other minions, Kannon, Krab, Kolosal and Katastrophe. (He named all his inventions so that he could introduce then like so: "Meet Kannon! With a "K"!")

One of the robots names took me too long to get though, the evil robot that copied other robots I initially heard as Killerbot, which made sense due to him being the most dangerous, then I paid closer attention: his name was Kilobot because he was 1000 robots in one due to his ability to copy other robots abilities. He was also badass, he disabled Cubix by copying his ability to seperate his body parts at will, trapped cubixes parts between his own parts and just pulled together to crush Cubix's individual components

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Anyone else really looking forward to the Netflix Series of Unfortunate Events? I love the books and am looking forward to seeing some of the later locations in Live Action, especially the Heimlich Hospital and Hotel Denouement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Cubix was a weird show, although looking back I'd say the main issues were how the humans looked(the robots in comparison had pretty good designs), and the English dub really doesn't age well at all, it's one of those ideas that could benefit from a reboot

You mean that "Ooooh oh wowee... this soup tastes soupy I MEAN tasty..." doesn't do it for you

Although an interesting writing thing was this: Cubix initially only speaks repeating key words the main character says to confirm instructions are understood. At one point all of Cubix's Solex (The stuff that powers robots and that Dr K is harvesting from the crazy ones, the madness is caused by an excess of it) is drained by the villain who leaves him for dead. Eventually Cubix manages to wake up, no longer powered by Solex but by his own will/~Power of Love~, basically becoming more than just a robot (Old trope I know, but well played) and after this he starts speaking in full sentences and coherent thoughts, which I thought was a cool distinction. He was the only robot in the series who talked like a robot except for Kolossal (Who only ever says "CRUSH!")

Speaking of old tropes I liked the way Cardcaptor Sakura played with it's cliches. I thought that was a fairly decent show. I liked that the elaborate outfits were made by Tomoyo because she was a fashionista wanting to ply her trade and that the outfits had features appropriate to the threat (The dress when fighting the Lightning Card was made of rubber to prevent shocks, when fighting Watery her dress was waterproof). Also the power of love wasn't what saved the day, it was what was at stake, in season 2 if Sakura fails to claim all the Clow Cards for herself by turning them into Sakura cards (difference being Clow is dead, his magic is dying too. The cards need to become powered by Sakura to survive) than everyone she knows will forget about the one person they care about the most, entirely.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 28, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

readingatwork posted:

My favorite part about Cardcaptor Sakura was the completely random web of crushes it weaved. It's like the writers were creating relationships via dice roll.

"Ok, so our protagonist will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend."

"And Lee will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend. Huh. Hey this is getting kind of weird should we try again?"

"THE DICE HAVE SPOKEN! Now roll for Tomoyo!"

I liked the twist on Li's homosexuality - he wasn't crushing on Yukito (big bro's best friend), Yukito was secretly the brother to Keroberos, Yue. Kero is the guardian of the Sun, Yue the guardian of the Moon, both protect the clow cards, and by extension, Sakura. Li wasn't in love, he was drawn to Yue's ~MOON ENERGY~. He promptly becomes Sakura's boyfriend after. Also, (Yeah, I watched the original Japanese) Li's 'sister' Mei Ling - she isn't his sister, she is his arranged bride, which is why she gets so pissy about Sakura 'moving in' on her turf. The Yue thing resulted in a great scene mid-season 2 with Sakura's brother, where he confronts Yukito (knowing about his Yue persona - Yukito himself doesn't know he is Yue) and says that if Yue ever fails to keep Sakura safe, he doesn't care how powerful he is he will kick Yue's rear end.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 29, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There was one subplot in Shrek 4 that I thought was done surprisingly well: Fiona presents as an Ogre for the entire movie, and hides herself during the day because she is leading an Ogre Rebellion against King Rumplestiltskin and doesn't want the other ogres to see her a a weak princess during the day. She became disillusioned with the concept of true love when her's failed to show up, forcing her to rescue herself, which is summarized by a great line between her and Shrek when they 'first' meet (for her) "But... I'm your true love!" "THEN WHERE WERE YOU!?"

Edit: I also like how Rumple convinces Shrek to accidentally wish he was never born. Shrek wants things to go back to the way they were due to everything in his life being more complicated now, and him still being somewhat short sighted, and Rumple tells him that he can have all that back if he just allows him to take one day from his life "You were so young, you don't even remember it." He takes the day of Shrek's birth

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 31, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

raditts posted:

and Fairly Oddparents But With Ghosts come to mind. s.

Hey, Danny Phantom was way better than Fairly Odd Parents and it only lasted 2 seasons before being cancelled, hardly particularly long in the tooth. I also enjoyed the movies, they went interesting places. (The first movie with Freakshow as a main villain had a pretty fun part with Danny's Parents finding out about him being the ghost boy, and when they are wondering why he never said, Jaz points out that all they ever talked about what capturing or dissecting him).

Also loved the style behind the Ghostly Wail power, and the third movie had a fun idea behind the climax All the ghosts in the series combine their powers to make the world non-corporeal so that a meteor won't crash into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm curious. Did this happen before or after Joss Whedon did pretty much the same thing in his X-Men run?

The movie in question, Phantom Planet was aired in 2007, I have no idea when Joss Whedon was doing stuff but I'm sure you can work it out from that clue.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought Loony Tunes: Back in Action had some really funny jokes, they were just few and far between. Like the scene where Wile-E Coyote is leaving Acme (? Steve Martin's character)'s office and Acme is all "HEY WATCH OUT FOR the stairs, and the plate glass window. Should I even mention the firecrackers?" I thought that one was cute at least. Also when the supercar is falling from the sky and stops before impact because, as Bugs points out: "Look at that. Out of gas." And the female character's all like "It doesn't work like that." and then the car finishes crashing, totaling it completely, only to have Bugs retort: "Thanks Toots..."

Everything else was forgettable as all hell but I thought those jokes worked. Also enjoyed the background jokes in the restaurant with Shaggy telling off Matthew Lillard for his poor performance as him in the movies; and Speedy Gonzales and Porky Pig complaining to each other that they don't get work anymore due to being culturally insensitive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the Scooby Doo live action movies were OK. They were poorly written but the performances were trying with the material they were given, and I thought some of the jokes worked. I kinda liked Velma's attempt at getting Possessed Fred's attention in the first one. "Hey! Yo, yo... you.. yo..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I like the first movie since it was making fun of the franchise. I can barely remember the second one despite seeing it multiple times.

Personally I think my favourite joke in the first one is Daphne taking self defence classes due to being sick of being the damsel in distress.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If I remember correctly she was trying to blend in with the other possessed 'Cool kids' so she dressed herself up to blend in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the Steven Universe discussion, there was a cute video that Rebecca Sugar, Zach Callison (Steven's VO) and Shelby Rabara (Peridot's VO) thanking Tumblr for being the most reblogged cartoon on the website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGYFXodTek

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Figured I'd show a new short from the World of Steven Universe channel to tide fans over til Monday. Presenting: "Lion Loves to Fit in a Box" (Extended since that one vine/tumblr thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvhYZI8yuwU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

How about something like "The creepiest thread about a 12 year old boy."?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Didn't realise he'd hit teenage. I always assumed he started the series at 10 years old.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, the one thing I remember from Danny Phantom was that sing along Christmas episode. Was that the pre- or post-Reborn Christian stuff?

I just remember it had a hilarious ending. The idea is that in a fit of anger at Christmas Danny destroys a manuscript being written by the Ghostwriter, and he gets his revenge by writing a new manuscript, with Danny as the main character intending to kill him. The story is entirely in verse. However, when the other ghosts find out what's going on they side against Ghostwriter because they observe an truce between Ghostzone and the human world on that day, one that Ghostwriter just violated.

During the climax, this happens to break the rhyme, and therefore the spell, courtesy of Skulker's cunning:
Ghostwriter: "And then he picked up an orange... OH SHOOT NOTHING RHYMES WITH ORANGE!"

Commence beatdown.

I always consider Ultimate Enemy to be the best Danny Phantom related thing though.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 18, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Agreed. Well, except for the Scooby Doo episode, which was loving amazing.

The glasses joke was amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xd3CGRQXlo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I want to take this time to poo poo on Doug some more.

Seriously, gently caress Doug. I can forgive it for being boring, stupid and having an entire cast of unlikable Chucklefucks. But I will never, ever, forgive it for being one of those shows that thinks embarrassing the main character is somehow inherently funny.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? Doug would want to go to a concert or something, have a completely pointless dream sequence about it (another pet peeve of mine), realize he'd been rocking out to nothing in public, and then get laughed at by everyone. This is supposed to be HILARIOUS but I always just felt kind of bad for the boring little bastard. Plus, I empathize pretty strongly with characters as I watch them so when the show would pull this poo poo a small part of me would be getting laughed at right there with him. Thanks for that, show!

The only parts of Doug I enjoyed came from Skeeter. He had the best episode where he was struggling to pass shop class, but not because he was bad at it. He'd invent some elaborate mechanism that had a bunch of interesting ideas, but forgot to implement the basic functionality in his unfocused mania, eg the Coatrack that could predict the weather, tell you which shops were open nearby, etc but it couldn't hang coats, as he had forgotten to add the hooks. That subplot was actually funny (or should I say Funnie :P)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the original Nicktoons Doug back in the day when he was a normal awkward kid having normal awkward kid adventures. Then Disney got the character for some reason and completely ruined the premise. Everything because completely outlandish and they decided to change things up with just about every character for no reason.

Didn't Roger's family win the lottery or some such poo poo?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The title just makes me think of Action League! NOW! from the Kids sketch comedy Kablaam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVQyxQwtHhs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

So over the past four months we've been marathonning Phineas and Ferb on Netflix. It started as something we put on for our daughter to watch after she came in from playing outside (my wife makes both of us play outside for at least an hour every day. Blechh) but my wife and I both got hooked on the show's well-crafted humor and excellent songs.
Finally watched the last episode last night. After thorough analysis I have concluded that Doctor Doofenshmirtz is the actual hero of the show, because he's the only character who learns and changes over the course of the series. Everyone else ends the series having learned nothing. Their character arcs are flat, Doofensmirtz, on the other hand has started down the path of repairing the relationship with his father and moved past his obsession with taking over the Tri-State Area.

He even has a "working with the enemy" moment with Perry at the dump that he trails his daughter to. Due to an accident when tailing her (as perry interrupts thinking he's up to something) he falls down a mound of garbage, knocks out the DJ and accidentally glues his hands to a pair of records - then Perry steps in a saves him from humiliating his daughter and himself using Doofensmirtz's Mind Controlinator and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZM5bxoccc

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Yeah he has a pretty amicable relationship with Perry a lot of the time actually.
And yeah DJ Doof was p. great.

I like to think that these kinds of hero/villain rivalries are just part of some elaborate game. Sure, Doofenshmirtz really wants to do things that would annoy his brother, but I wouldn't be surprised is most of his plans were just excuses to get Perry to come over and play

Without this little war they just would never hang out.

Kinda like with Chase Young and Omi in Xiaolin Showdown. Sure Chase wants to turn Omi over to his side and make him his pupil but you can tell he has fun fighting with him as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It seems to happen a lot though that the most interesting characters in a property are rarely the main characters:

In Phineas and Ferb it's Heinz Doofenshmirtz

in Les Miserables Its the girl who is crushing on Cosette's love interest who disguises herself as a boy to join the front lines and also Javert, due to his conflict between the Law and his rapidly decaying Conscience.

in Xiaolin Showdown it's Raimundo due to his arc being a long running one and him becoming the Most Improved character by the end (and Jack Spicer due to the fact that he does try to go good, genuinely he wants to, but he is just too weak willed to resist temptation).

The exception tends to come chiefly in much darker media, The Baudelaires (a Series of Unfortunate Events) are interesting because of how the line blurs for them between good and evil, resulting in them performing less than admirable deeds out of desperation and lack of options. There are other Exceptions of ourse, ie Steven Universe, Kung Fu Panda and Paranorman manage to have very interesting main characters in their internal conflicts, as well as very interesting villains or secondaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, she can be funny but generally she's the worst character. I did like the episode with the Dull-And-Boring-Inator though that Hits the boys at the beginning of the day. Unfortunately Candace get's her foot stuck in one of the rocket skates and the other characters have to figure out a way to snap the two out of their funk so they can figure out a way to save her.