Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

So all of you reminiscing about Toonami, Adult Swim seems to be running it right now as some kind of April Fool's thing.

Holy poo poo, I am literally getting teary-eyed watching these awesome 90s animes and Toonami bumpers.

The lost days of my youth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

HypnoCabbage posted:

Someone in the GBS April Fools Day thread posted that all the episodes they showed had the common theme of their main characters either dying or having something terrible happen to them.

Edit: For those who have decided to jump off the grid, Netflix now has the first seasons of popular Hub shows Pound Puppies, Transformers Prime, and GI Joe: Renegades.

Also that horse program everyone in the forums is sick of/can't get enough of.

Yay! I heard G.I. Joe Renegades was pretty good but I couldn't be assed to download it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Considering that every show they showed was accompanied by a brief commercial for the DVDs, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually shell out for the rights to the whole season. It was probably a quid-pro-quo type of thing, 1 episode for 1 commercial, and only on this one night.

Unless of course they bought back those shows for a new Toonami relaunch...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

On the subject of Beyblade, I think back in the day it was a legit good show. It was really just a Sports anime with fantastic elements to it to spice up the tops.

It actually reminded me a lot of Prince of Tennis, except the stuff like TENNIS BALLS KILL THE DINOSAURS was actually happening instead of being metaphorical. It also had a slow ramp up were it started off just with kids playing for street cred and ended up with epic battles against Russian brainwashed child soldiers wielding genetic monster experiments and getting horrible wounds from their top fighting. The curve that got them from point A to point Z was remarkably smooth, so that you didn't even notice how crazy it was getting over the course of the run.

Also, those Beyblade arenas at the tournaments were cool as hell. Top battles in miniature Manhattan WOO!

Then came the first sequel series and things stated to go downhill even though it was still tolerable. And now... I watched three episodes of the current series and I couldn't stand it. It's not a sports anime anymore, its Dragonball Z with tops.

A monster tamer/toy battle anime has to be grounded in reality (even if only at a fringe level, like YuGiOh 5D's), and it can't talk down to its audience, or it ends up being awful. Bakugan and YuGiOh Zexal are both perfect examples of how NOT to make a toy battle anime. Compare the current series of Pokemon, which is the best the shows been in a long time.

... I'm sorry, that got kind of overblown.:ohdear:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, watching the first episode of the "Metal Masters" Beyblade...

I'm so very, VERY sorry.

If you're watching any Beyblade anime with a subtitle, I'm sorry, but I'm PARTICULARLY sorry about that one.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

McSpanky posted:

In a different case, the team was sent to India to investigate reports of rampaging wildlife attacking people. They discovered that a villain named the Brain was mutating various jungle animals with Kobra Venom to turn them into enormous super-strong beasts and mind controlling them with collars as some sort of experiment, one of them being a huge white wolf that Superboy eventually frees from his control collar. It took a liking to Superboy after the rescue, treated him as the new alpha male and stuck around, helping him in the final battle and generally acting like a faithful pet afterward.

The dog is supposed to be Krypto right?

Better backstory than just being a SPACE DOG!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Neo Helbeast posted:

http://oujastrikeblogs.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/press-release-power-rangers-40-dvd-boxset-announced/

The Power Rangers: Seasons One -Seven40-DVD collection will include: All 145 original episodes fromMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Seasons One, Two and Three, plus the ten-episode seriesMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Alien Rangers. It then continues on withPower Rangers: Seasons Four – Seven, featuring all of the original 183 episodes spanning the seasons entitledPower Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers In SpaceandPower Rangers Lost Galaxy.

As dumbly excited as I am about this, I find it odd that the set includes Lost Galaxy, since that was the first in the "stand alone," Rangers shows, where as everything from Mighty Morphin' to In Space is a single story/narrative.

Also, this better sell well enough for me to get a Time Force DVD someday...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Oh, I remember that pilot! It seemed spunky and fun. Like Totally Spies, but like... better and less full of stealth fetish fuel.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

When I was a kid I watched the poo poo out of the Carebears Star Trek parody, so I'll probably check this out.

I also had a one-armed Carebear doll my great grandfather found in a gutter on the way to see my birth, cleaned up, and gave to me as a gift, so I have a DESTINED LINK to the franchise.

Maybe.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also with how GRIMDARK!!! Young Justice is, DC needs a lighter show.

All the characters they would use for a re-imagined Teen Titans are all showing up in Young Justice anyway. It just would have been weird.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TwoPair posted:

Whoa, never heard of it, but yeah that sounds like an absolute nightmare. It doesn't sound like a necessarily bad premise, except I can only think of like 4 or 5 jokes for episodes and then the concept kind of runs out of gas. I'll just feel bad if some poor kid actually likes it then tries to google fan art of it because this is definitely gonna be DeviantArt's new favorite show ever.

I dunno, I thought Danny Phantom got some good mileage out of that whole thing. In Ultimate Marvel comics, Spiderman and his female clone always works that angle pretty well too.

But yeah, the internet shall surely defile this thing to the utmost. The horror...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm surprised no Marvel Cartoon has yet to put Deadpool in it based on his popularity. I mean the only good thing that could come from Ultimate Spiderman is if Deadpool crashes one of Spidey's stupid cutaway gags.

Marvel and DC cartoons are too busy being trapped in the 80s or earlier to include someone as modernly popular as Deadpool. Even in the 90's he was too busy playing second fiddle to MR. 90'S XTREEEEEEME incarnate Cable (who did make it into X-Men somehow). Other than Black Nick Fury they stubbornly refuse to update even slightly in cast, design or storyline, and then are surprised when the success of their films or shows don't translate into book sales despite their books not matching the movies.

Batman fans waited for more than two decades to see Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown in other Batman media, and instead we got Barbara, Barbara and more Barbara, to the point that when the New 52 rolled around they reset 20 years of character development to put her back under Batgirl's hood because fans "demanded," it.

I wasn't a big fan of Wolverine and the X-Men, but I was so happy it was willing to take a chance on some of the more current characters like Domino. And then it got canceled. RIP.

(We really need a Thunderbolts cartoon or movie. I would give a loving limb for Moonstone, Songbird and Mach V to get their day in the sun)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cliff Racer posted:

Do children buy season long DVD collections though? I assume that their marketing deparments have done the research and showed that "best ofs" do better, sales wise for the demographics Disney cares about.

Even if this is the case, and it makes a certain amount of logical sense given that season boxes are inevitably more expensive than individual DVDs so parents are more likely to buy a single disk than a half-dozen for a treat/gift, compilation disks are loving retarded.

Why would you not just release individual volumes in order? It has the same effect overall. Compilations are just ensuring that there are sales out there you will never make because some kids favorite episodes will never be selected because they're less "popular."

More importantly, compilation disks are just sleazy because they're indicative of a dice-roll, minimum threshold view of customer satisfaction. They're a sign that a company only cares about short-term sales rather than repeat customers, and are willing to bank on unsophisticated consumers making purchases because of a recognized name on a box rather than providing a product that has a greater chance of making them happy and willing to come back for more. Its the same principle has me hating Nintendo these days, because Nintendo has actually built their entire business model around grandmas buying shovelware out of cheapo bins just because it has Wii on the box.

I don't like entertainment companies that are exploitative out of laziness rather than necessity. If you have to make a quick buck to keep your company afloat fine, but when you're talking about Disney or Nintendo, there is no excuse to treat your customers like crap.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

"The Sax-oblivion!"

"...That's not the name we agreed upon!"

Queen Tyr'ahnee was the best villainess :swoon:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

"She-mergency"

"She-hicle"

"she-larious"

"she-S.P."

"she-mazing" (you're not even trying now)

Kill me. she-oot me. :smithicide:

I am ashamed to admit that I got a chuckle out of She-S.P. It tickled by love of comic book kitsch similar to how Dany Phantom's silly names for stuff often did.

But yeah, otherwise horrible.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sockser posted:

Watched Teen Titans GO this morning.

That poo poo sucks, bring back GL.

Teen Titans Go is a fun show. Stop hating fun :colbert:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

El Tortuga posted:

I'm sorry the creators of Breaking Bad don't write for PPG, but it seems like this children's cartoon is being held to impossibly high standards.

You kind of have to expect that when you do a remake of a show that not only is a nostalgic favorite for many young men and women but also has the burden of an actual legacy of high quality in storytelling and humor. Its not like a remake of Dexter's Lab would be getting any less grief if it weren't "perfect." Same thing happened to that new Ren and Stimpy cartoon Spike TV made back in the mid-00s, although in that case it was worse because the show actually sucked rather than just being not-flawless.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Chibs posted:

A character design!

I'll steal it!!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!

UNHAND IT CHIBS BACKSLIDE!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I'll always remember Dave the Barbarian because I thought the themesong would make for a really funny AMV set to Evangelion footage.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mr Interweb posted:

so i discovered something interesting

it seems Peacock, of all networks, for god knows what reason, actually has the entire series of Savage Dragon up. i didn't think anyone on the planet besides me cared about that show anymore, let alone someone running a streaming service :monocle:

Peacock seems weirdly good for one of those single company streaming services. Its the only one I've kept after the trial week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lol, give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize.