Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is the weirdest episode of any childhood series that you can remember?

That one Ed Edd n Eddy episode where they literally pulled the outline off of one of the characters and they just melted away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

https://twitter.com/DevDev_Doodles/status/1229483623155425281

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Ariza posted:

Is that Coach McGuirk?

Yes

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Looks good. I'm hyped!

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Mr Interweb posted:

guess who finally has HBO Max :dance:

i got it for a couple of reasons, but at the top of the list was Justice League. i've said a couple of times in this thread that i thought avatar: TLA and JL were the two best animated serialized* action adventure series of the 00s, and 7 episodes in, the previous statement still rings true.

i mean, drat, what a fricken great show. there's a lot i want to say that i probably won't get into in this post, but one thing for sure i want to mention is the animation. this show looks so drat good. the visuals are so bright, vibrant and clean looking. the art style takes some of the soft, curved features of batman: tas but combines it with the streamlined look of superman: tas, removing a lot its blockiness but still keeping and improving on its fluidity.

it's probably been at least a decade since i've seen it, but watching these episodes again, it's super surprising how much effort was put in, even in these first early episodes. there is a LOT of complex looking action sequences, moreso than i would have expected. cartoon network definitely didn't cheap out on production. granted, considering this was a pretty big established IP, maybe it's not as surprising as i thought.

still, i guess the reason i feel so impressed is that this show is now exactly 20 years old, and still looks drat good. i have a lot of nostalgia for 80s/90s cartoons, but being real, aside from a handful of show, the vast majority of them looked like rear end (x-men, fantastic four, spiderman, toxic crusaders, streetfighter, mortal kombat, pirates of dark water, to name a few). coincidentally, said handful of shows that did look decent were more often then not produced by DC/WB to begin with (batman/superman, tiny toons, animaniacs, freakazoid, etc.). i think the 00s were the first decade where there was widespread improvement on animation. not necessarily that every show looked great, but at minimum started looking competent, as opposed to completely amateurish and insulting.

so yeah, the show has not only aged remarkably well, but imo, i think it actually looks better than a lot shows today, including many done by DC themselves. certainly i think the color palette looks a lot better than darkseid/supergirl film from a while back, which is also present in a lot of other shows/films.

oh also the show is now in HD and so that also helps matters greatly :dance: their upscaling software is amazing. everything looks pristine with zero signs of aliasing or visual artifacts whatsoever. had i not already seen this, i could easily think it was a series animated today.

i'll have more to say on other things later

*yes, i realize that JL isn't really serialized at the beginning, but it slowly becomes that way as the show goes on

One theory I have about why the Snyderverse dc movies have been not the most successful is that we already have the best possible adaptation of these characters on screen already. JL/JLU is an excellent show and the DCAU has still not been matched in sheer quality by any superhero show since.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't think their lineup is bare, but half of it is only on HBO Max

craig of the creek
tig n seek (HBO Max)
the fungies (HBO Max)
primal
close enough (HBO Max)
victor and valentino
ben 10 specials
adventure time specials (HBO Max)
we baby bears (later this year)
unicorn: warriors eternal (later this year)
gross girls (TBD)
jessica's little big world (TBD)

and then infinity train's final season is this week on HBO Max

and elliot from earth from CN Studios Europe

primal is adult swim btw

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

doomrider7 posted:

I've always believed that if you took the first three episodes of Superman TAS and added an extra hour of material and live auctioned it, you'd EASILY clear $700 to $800 million at the box office and set the stage for an awesome EU. Sadly that's not what happened.

I would've much preferred a live action adaptation of World's Finest over Batman v Superman.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

wild thornberries crossover was great. Better than the first movie, worse than in paris

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Mr Interweb posted:

for the 90s, at the top of my head we had:

- X-men TAS
- Spiderman: TAS
- Silver Surfer
- Gargoyles
- Pirates of Dark Water
- Superman: TAS
- Conan: The Adventurer
- The "red sky" season of TMNT
- Mighty Max (sort of. a lot of episodes were standalone but there was a larger overarching storyline)

You're forgetting Batman: TAS and Transformers: Beast Wars aka the best Transformers.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

KingKalamari posted:

Let's not forget another show from the 90s that drifted into more serialized storytelling: Beast Wars. It's honestly amazing how many things that would normally be setbacks ended up making that show work: "Oh we don't have the budget to have more than a dozen character models? We'll just have a small cast and focus on characterization!" "Oh all the characters on our show are alien robots? Sweet, that means we can have them shoot each other and suffer horrific injuries and the censors won't get on our rear end!" "Oh we need to market a new wave of toys but still don't have the budget to have more than a dozen character models? gently caress it, we'll kill off a bunch of characters to make room for the new ones and move the story forward!"

Also: One of the other major setbacks of Danny Phantom was that it focused on high schoolers, which meant Butch Hartman was legally obligated to cram it full of all his issues about being picked on in high school, delivered with the subtlety of a brick to the face...

While there was definitely a fair share of 80's/90's cartoons that had some serialization I'd say it didn't become prominent until the mid to late 2000's.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Funky Valentine posted:

The cool thing about all the Marvel animated series from the 90s is that they all were kind of terrible yet have become lodged in peoples' brains as the "definitive" version of those characters and stories (Gambit and Jubilee owe their careers to X-Men TAS and the Spider-man TAS version of the Black Suit/Venom saga has completely supplanted the original comics version to a ridiculous degree.)

Beast Wars is a weird way to spell Animated.

Because I spelled it correctly. Animated is only second best.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

I wonder if all these shows ending has anything to do with disney plus? disney channel has been slow to announce anything new recently, plus with the death of cable ever looming I'm guessing that the mouse is ready to pull the plug?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finished watching Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, and really enjoyed it, especially how bonkers the ending got. I liked the recurring ideas like (heavy spoilers)the cyclical nature of Mystery Inc, and the fact that the prior incarnation of the team had become the worst possible versions of themselves, like the slacker Ricky becoming an obese, greasy, reclusive mess of social issues; Fred's parents going from the "Charming pretty couple" of the team to still charming, but in a more disarming and untrustworthy way; and Cassidy being left lonely not through being the misunderstood nerd of the group but being so duplicitous she lost the trust of everyone in her life.

Really really wish Mystery Inc had been aloud to continue, but alas it came and went before it's time. Had it come out a few years later it would've been a smash hit.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

So I never knew this before but apparently Hey Arnold! Takes place in Seattle not New York.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/hey-arnold-doesnt-take-place-in-brooklyn-wtf

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Nodosaur posted:

Jellystone is pretty good for those of you who have HBO Max. It really captures some of that charming weirdness from Chowder.

Jellystone gave me quite a few good laughs, real good wholesome fun.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSj4rWxPDjM

New trailer for the Hilda movie! Looks pretty good

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Twibbit posted:

Well those two episodes were fantastic, so you can ignore the haters. Now I have to wait on newer ones. It is toonami all over again. Except it is a series of odd esoteric streaming services these days instead of stolen satellite because dad didn't want to pay for all his sports channels..

They are also airing the new episodes on toonami like two days later lol

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

SlothfulCobra posted:

Saberspark did a video on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and interviewed some of the crew. Apparently the show's cancellation isn't actually final-final and there's a slight chance of continuation if Nickelodeon wants. But very unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIu3WDz1K_o

A tweet that got one of the animators hired:
https://twitter.com/_LauraGille/status/1252251204689768455

Probably won't happen until at least the new show is over like 5 to 10 years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

only one half of the team is working on this one, Jeff "Swampy" Marsch went on to work on other projects ( and new Phineas and Ferb)