Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, what's going on with Mystery Incorporated? Wasn't it supposed to be back this week? All I'm seeing for the next two weeks are reruns!

I actually hope so, because I'm only on episode four of the new season and I need to catch up. What was the last episode to air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KKoserYaks posted:

I think that would be Level Up, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't their first live action show. Either way, it was about as awful as you would expect a Cartoon Network non-animated show would be.

It's definitely not that. I know what this guy is talking about, and it was an old import from Canada as I recall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harold Krell posted:

Is it Zixx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5COvg0jt60w

I remember it airing along the original Ben 10 and a bunch of other unmemorable crap. It was like Level Up if it were taken completely seriously.

Yep, that's it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GLOSS posted:

The new Ben 10 show just had a crossover with Cow and Chicken. I must say that is by far the most unlikely crossover I've ever seen in animation by a wide margin...

What the gently caress? :psyduck: I have to watch this now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DivisionPost posted:

Is there any word at all when they'll be finishing off Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated? Or should I not hold my breath?

EDIT: For gently caress's sake, they already started airing in New Zealand. NEW ZEALAND.

I see they're copying Nickelodeon's approach for airing episodes of Avatar.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved the hell out of Xiaolin Showdown, this is awesome news.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it did not. Kinda jarring now that I watch it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

J2DK posted:

Speaking of Nickelodeon, in my opinion the best show they have right now is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's the only one my kids watch anymore. We didn't even know Fairly Odd Parents was still going.

Wait, it is? They really don't promote that show, do they?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seriously, you haven't seen anything yet. That show gets loving nuts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

horriblePencilist posted:

Not really a kids show, but this thread is as close as it gets: an absolutely garbage show called Mr Pickles. It's offensive, ugly, violent and unfunny – and it'll be on Adult Swim this fall.
Here's the :nws: pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDa9DVuwRDc

How about the Adult Swim thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600141

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I heard it was that Canadian networks needed a certain percentage of original Canadian content and so Johnny Test is never, ever going away.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember the time that Arnold got so fed up with Miss Frizzle's bullshit that he killed himself in protest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGs77kOT9Kk

That loving traumatized me as a kid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sithsaber posted:

At least I don't have the taste of a twelve year old girl. Defending "real kids cartoons" and than saying that you're a adult who likes cartoons "meant for kids" makes your side look like post bronie degenerates.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > General Kids Show Discussion Thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moatman posted:

What are you, an 80 year old?

My theory is that he's the most pretentious motherfucker who ever lived and also possibly mentally ill.

fake edit: oh look at that, yet more evidence

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at it this way: Sithsaber would post in here three times as much if this was the AT thread.

That thread is loving poison in every respect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Does analysis bother you that much?

I find the kind of analysis that goes on in that thread to be thoroughly pretentious bullshit. Even the intentional stuff.

It's a thread for a children's cartoon that reads like a freshman film studies course.

e: it's fine, like the show. But reading into the subtext of the nonsense doesn't make it more adult.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Merge the AT and Korra threads.

I would probably kill myself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whenever I go in there, it's occasionally ridiculous bullshit, but usually it's just incredibly sophomoric "analysis" of basic character motivations and story beats, which are not in any way difficult to discern even just unconsciously, because the show just doesn't have all that much to give in that regard. Treating Adventure Time's ability to tell a basic story like it's incredible doesn't make the basic poo poo you're able to identify some sort of trenchant insight.

Sorry I'm being a dick about this, I just get really annoyed when I see adults needing to validate their enjoyment of silly stuff by claiming it's deep. It's how we get dumb poo poo like gritty Superman (sorry, derail over!).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sithsaber posted:

They either hated it or got mad when I brought up how Yuasi was utilizing a variation of the Prajapati figure. What do you prefer: bitching or tidbits that lead to new movies and new stories?

I prefer when you don't post.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a bunch of Whip Crack SFX's away from being Johnny Test.

No it's not, and you're being dumb about this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DID YOU OKAY THE RABBIT?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sockser posted:

Anime:Weeaboo::Wakfu:Ouiabeau

Oh my god :vince:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Having seen the full second episode at NYCC, it's gonna be great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I told you guys. Can't wait to see the rest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watched the whole thing today and yeah, Over The Garden Wall rules.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Get this silly kids poo poo out of my children's cartoon thread

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What about that doesn't sound amazing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly people are overselling the whole lesbians thing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TwoPair posted:

That's an awful lot of words to say "I'm not actually going to watch this but let me poo poo on your opinions of it"

Occupation.txt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Counterpoint: Korra is good :unsmigghh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shut the gently caress up Occ.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because the twist makes both of those stores fundamentally less interesting. It's not hard to grasp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Adventure Time doesn't seem like it was ever really meant to have lore, continuity, and backstory. It just sort of mutated into it over time as things kept building up. At its core, it's supposed to be just a bunch of short, wacky, adventures, not a grand dramatic epic quest. The writers have been using all these tricks to try to downgrade the drama of the narrative even when they have the entire galaxy under threat from the most ancient of evils. People who want to see a dramatic story are bound to be frustrated, because the writers are directly snubbing them.

Of course, nobody's really forcing the writers to grow this big ol' bramble patch of drama, lore, and backstory that they're fighting against. They're just actively writing these overarching stories that they refuse to meaningfully conclude, which is confusing. I prefer the standalone episodes more and more these days.

Yeah, this was basically my stance. I got annoyed by the show playing at change but always pulling back immediately, and that along with the increasing number of episodes that were just completely opaque and indecipherable made it really hard to stay invested.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually give a poo poo about the dumb foreshadowing about the robot arm or whatever, I just think it's really loving bad that they tore his arm off and then he grows a new one three episodes later. Please enlighten me as to what the "bigger picture" there is.

e: like, it's certainly not helped by Breezy being one of the aforementioned indecipherable episodes I don't like.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 27, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sleeveless posted:

I liked when Mystery Inc had an evil zombie ska band.

I keep forgetting about this and it rules so loving hard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's also the show with an evil zombie ska band.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I basically gave up on Adventure Time after Breezy but I ended up watching that episode anyway because a Fionna and Cake episode at least had the potential to be fun. Still didn't do much for me but I agree that the four levels of fanfiction reading was a great gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of that, what was the issue everyone had with Breezy? It's been a long time, I don't remember.

Part of it was that the episode was really opaque but the big thing was that three episodes earlier Finn had his arm torn off and in Breezy he just grows it back. It was kind of endemic of that show's refusal to meaningfully change.