Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think the nerds vs. jocks thing has ever existed and I'm pretty sure it was just invented for movies to avoid confronting the real reasons for bullying, which are usually things like race and sexuality.

Congrats on going to a school that wasn't a dystopic jockocracy, I guess. Maybe things have changed since the Eighties, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Practical effects are easier to swallow.

Imagine the rolling boulder scene with bad cgi. It'd be a shitshow.

I refuse to believe you're young and/or nostalgic enough to have never seen how bad miniatures effects can get.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Good god...

Okay, NOW can we all agree that oversaturating a show is a bad thing?

CN has become that first-time stock buyer that has figured out you just get the one highest-performing offering they can find and converting everything to buy more of it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GAZMAT SUIT

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

First episode of Owl House was neat. I like that Luz isn't stuck in the Boiling Isles but chose to stay of her own volition.

Whoever said it was trying to be Gravity Falls and Star Vs. at the same time was on target. Luz is like Dipper and Mabel fused together. That's fine. I just need more Eda shoved directly into my veins. Every second she's onscreen is what I'm here for.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Solid second installment to Owl House--I admit I did not see a Love Can Bloom reference coming.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Given the pelt it's obvious that Wolf at least killed some of the pack that tried to hunt her, but I'm curious if there are any survivors. Especially given that her sister seemed reluctant to turn on her and was the last to do so. It would be interesting for her to run into a survivor, them to be seeking some kind of help or her sister trying to make restitution, only to find that some things cannot be forgiven and that bridge is burned permanently.

I assumed it was the sister's pelt she was wearing, but lacking any distinctive markings, that's just a guess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Owl House has been very enjoyable and I really liked them pulling out the animation stops for this lil bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDk_5-KceA#t=115s

I fully expected to not really care about the "will Luz learn magic?" Main Plot of the show going forward, assuming it would be boilerplate Believe In Yourself Hard Enough, but the fact that she's effectively learning hermetic magic as a workaround has me intrigued. Eda, who has really been the reason I've been watching this show, has a background reveal that's sort of... well, I mean, it's there? I hope there's more to it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Luz. That's the name. It means light in spanish.

Weirdly Eda reminds me a lot of Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, except without the harem anime bits that make me ashamed to reminisce about Tenchi Muyo.

The look is all there, it's true.

edit: come to think of it, she even lost a hand right off the bat just like Ryouko, too.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 4, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

<Owl House stuff>

The season seems like it would naturally draw to a close with the end of the six weeks Luz is supposed to be at camp. I have a feeling they're going to try to bookend it with Luz' mother, at least. After that... eh? It could go places.

Lilith as Ayeka isn't as strong as Eda as Ryouko, but it's certainly there.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Between the CN app and Disney Now, I've become convinced UI/UX designers just hate children. And everyone else.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Amity's already itching to do a heel/face turn, which will leave us a little light on antagonists until they get around to finishing all the sturm und drang around the Emperor's Coven.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

It's even Mae Whitman and I doubt they'd cast someone so famous to be in it so...little? Especially considering the others aren't in many things.

And yea I'm enjoying it but at the same time it's a bit flat.

I mean, her name's Amity, and everything.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Apparently Corona is in the middle of fantasy France. Who knew?

That would put it somewhere near Cinderella's castle, I guess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

In other news this week's Owl House was really good. A few laugh out loud moments and I appreciated them not having Mae Whitman's character with the angry teens too so we can see she's different.

I'm assuming the triclops girl will be taking her place as antagonist.

Also, someone pointed out that The Boiling Isles was one of the locations listed in Ford Pines' books in Gravity Falls.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

I finally got around to the second season of Infinity Train and I enjoyed the story as well as how it expanded the world. The background score continues to be transcendent. The score is a microcosm of the show's cerebral atmosphere. Especially in the last couple episodes of this season, IT continues to be unrelenting in its weirdness.

I loved season 2, but I'm having a hard time imagining where they can go next. Season 3 focusing on The Cat? Amelia? The Lord of the Flies Conductor cult kids? None of those things seem nearly as strong a lead as Lake.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Outfit included, she was basically Lina Inverse in her teenage years. I've loved the principal so far, the right balance of "hard, but fair" while also having seen and dealt with EVERY type of bullshit that students could pull.

I am looking forward to the further flashbacks on the exploits of teenaged Edalyn and Lilith Clawthorne.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm watching through Kim Possible after beating one of the ps2 games because the villains are a lot of fun and I never really saw much of it, a few scattered episodes and the movies. Just got to Adrena Lynn's episode, which was fun.

I quite like the character of Monty Fisk/Monkeyfist because he is completely like a monkey when it comes to his behaviour, in that he seems calm at first but is randomly destructive for no reason, and flies off the handle at the slightest scent of confrontation, (even when it's just Kim and Ron returning with follow up questions having no idea what he's up to, he outs himself in a massive fit thinking they are on to him) but to go with his unpredictability he can chill out as quickly as he got enraged if the right sound is heard, putting him in a meditative state. He's a total weirdo in a brilliant way that totally fits his theme.

Nicole Sullivan and John DiMaggio really carried that show, and I just cannot bring myself to look at the live-action version.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

The last episode of Owl House was good but felt a bit....of a non ending? Hopefully they already have more stuff lined up.
At least now it makes sense that the Bat Queen was isabella rosselini!

Eda's curse being Grim Serious Business is so tonally separated from everything else in the show I'm fascinated to see how they're going to reconcile it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh hey, a new Owl House episode, and it has a Big Boss body pillow.

Hang on, go back. Where did this show up? Because I'm not seeing it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mateo360 posted:

If you look back on OG Looney Tunes, a good chunk of Daffy/Porky one were of Daffy being an rear end in a top hat to porky. Daffy has always been an rear end in a top hat and starting trouble.

They eventually made Daffy into a long-suffering fall guy because being an rear end in a top hat to people for no reason is really Bugs' schtick.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

He apparently had a love of the drink and the high life and Larry had gambling issues. Moe was apparently the full on no vices guy. Can't recall anything about Shemp.

No one recalls anything about Shemp.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Why is Rebels so much better than The Resistance?

Did the creator teams switch that much? Filioni throwing all his effort into the Mandalorian?

Rebels interested me from the first time I saw it while travelling, but early Resistance is like pulling teeth so far.

I have some bad news for you.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looks like we're getting a third season of Infinity Train, but on HBO Max.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

Speaking of HBO Max, Infinity Train book 3 trailer's dropped:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1286756791003410433

August 13th.

I salute their gutsy decision to make terrible people into protagonists.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I caught up on Owl House yesterday. It's still p good, it feels like the plot has stopped spinning its wheels a bit now.

I really liked all the new characters that popped up, but the VAs weren't credited as anything other than "additional voices" so I don't know how much time we'll be spending with them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling The Owl House is probably doing the same thing as Gravity Falls with exploring the audience identification characters before getting into the adults, since a lot of their past and motivations likely tie into the larger world and plot. They're definitely signalling that Eda is basically someone like Luz all grown up, with very similar quirks and interests tempered with experience.

They certainly look like they're committing to finishing Pacifica Northwest's started-but-abandoned redemption arc using Amity.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

The Owl House got gay.

It's glorious.

If anyone hadn't picked up the bi vibes, I think Amity's formalwear should take care of it.

I'm also glad they're finally addressing the MOM SITUATION.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

oh btw, has anyone seen hbomerman's newest video on R.W.B.Y?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE

i haven't watched the full video yet, but full disclosure, i've only seen season 6 (or volume 6 or book 6 or whatever the hell they call it), so i can't really make too much of an accurate assessment. however, from what i've seen, it absolutely gives me the impression of a show that a bunch of anime fans decided to get together to make, who didn't have the talent in anything beyond fighting animation. the kind of people that liked the surface level appeal of anime but completely overlooked the substance of why people like anime.

I watched part of the first episode of RWBY, and then I stopped. I have no idea what the draw is.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This is heartwarming and all, but I'd really like to get back to Eda's story.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Honestly, a new post-Korra Avatar series set in modern day (or at least in the equivalent of like the 50’s-70’s) could be interesting and probably a better idea than just trying to remake the original again.

I am interested to see what a Fire Nation Avatar would be like.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Well if they’re following the normal cycle I believe the next Avatar after Korra would be an Earthbender, but they could always skip a generation or two.

Wait... wasn't Kiyoshi the avatar before Aang? It's been a while since I've seen the whole series...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"Wing it Like Witches" was a pretty lightweight episode since there wasn't much more to it other than the Harry Potter pisstake, but every scene with Amity was gold and so all is well. For all the B plot time they spent with Eda and Lilith, it didn't seem to shed much light on their situation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Agreed, more Amity.

The revelation that Lilith used to wear big round glasses is making Eda's flashback about being cursed a little more interesting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hooty delivering mail as an owl pellet is a bit that stays evergreen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ruflux posted:

I hope they blow up the school and go completely sideways with the running plot in season two because as of right now it's easily the worst, most cliched and uninteresting part of The Owl House's premise. Literally poo poo we've seen before a hundred times, whereas Luz acting as societal outcast Eda's apprentice while they're on the run from the law would be more in line with the original promised premise and be more interesting than mean girls bully me and my friends at school.

Although Boscha owns so they better not write her out or make her nice or whatever

They've certainly given themselves an exit ramp to do that, with Bump openly defying Imperial edict on multi-tracking students and Eda and Lilith about to finally come to irrevocable blows,.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Infinty Train good. Amelia clearly recovered from the muscle wastage involved in letting a pod carry her around everywhere. Now she's got jacked Sarah Connor arms.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That was some good Clawthorne sisters, yes, indeed.

And a good Hooty ep, as well. Seems like there's a lot left to tie up in one episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I had not previously realized that Eda's gemstone was not just a decoration and was connected to her power level. Just one more item for the "Ways in which she's just Ryouko from Tenchi" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Hooty could easily cross over into being super obnoxious to watch instead of just being fun to hate, but to me at least he manages to avoid that for two reasons. First, none of the other characters can stand him either, which is a gag that somehow never fails to make me smile. Of course, acknowledging something is terrible doesn't magically make it not terrible, which is where the second part comes in. See, I get the impression that we're not really getting the Full Hooty ExperienceTM, and most of his worst behavior is happening off screen where the audience doesn't have to be subjected to it. Thus, whenever the other characters tell Hooty to gently caress off, you get the comedic payoff of "Heh, Hooty was about to do something really annoying/gross," without actually having to experience the annoying/gross thing yourself.

This was entirely too many words justifying the terribleness of a cartoon owl tube.

Put another way, Hooty and King are both best delivered in very measured doses.